Fiat Coupe Club UK

Wheeler Dealers new series

Posted By: Cooperman

Wheeler Dealers new series - 02/05/2017 05:53

I have enjoyed this show over the years and the combination of Mike Brewer and Edd China worked well for me. It seems that it's success however may have been its undoing as the production is now with an American outfit Velocity and the changes they wanted to its format in reducing Edd's fixes segment meant he decided to quit.
The new series will have Ant Anstead in Edds role it seems. I suspect it will lose a number of UK viewers in its bid to appeal to the more lucrative US market.
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 02/05/2017 10:33

The early ones they took two episodes to cover a car, and it was lots more hands on, lots more "Skill" tips and dealing with local company's and people to get parts. This I enjoyed although the spray work on a Mr2 had me in tears.
More and more its not been about the restoration work, its almost a soap theater. It moved away along time ago from what I enjoyed and just have no interest in watching
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 02/05/2017 11:52

The early one were 2 half hour shows though Sam.

I've got to agree that it all went south once they started up with the US workshop. Really dumbed down for local consumption I think. Then there were the pathetic attempts to show Mike getting his hands dirty pretending to do something.

I shan't bother watching the next series: Just more anodyne American crap in prospect.
Posted By: andyps

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 02/05/2017 14:23

The other option is Car SOS and they have now started putting more detail of the mechanical bits out via social media - keeps the programme shorter and appealing to the non-techies but those who like to understand more about car repairs can see the detail. Seems like quite a good compromise to me, even though Tim is incredibly annoying with his "blagging" of parts etc.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 02/05/2017 14:58

Originally Posted By andyps
even though Tim is incredibly annoying with his "blagging" of parts etc.

+1
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 03/05/2017 04:30

Well, it can't be any worse than the new TopGear set up. So.... smile
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 03/05/2017 13:06

Ant Antstead is an absolute perfectionist and genius when it comes to restorations, not the Wheeler Dealer slap some stickers on it and get it out the door bull s**t.
Why would Ant degrade himself to such a cheesy low budget show with that pie eating wide boy.
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 03/05/2017 13:58

Originally Posted By patch234
Well, it can't be any worse than the new TopGear set up. So.... smile

Note to self...Not to be drawn! laugh
Posted By: Zam

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 03/05/2017 15:22

Originally Posted By PeteP

+1

+ another 1
Posted By: bockers

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 04/05/2017 10:46

Originally Posted By Zam
Originally Posted By PeteP

+1

+ another 1

and another +1 Makes me cringe.
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 04/05/2017 11:11

Not as bad as Brewer coming over with his "do a deal" bit for parts and end up paying list....
Posted By: JKD

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 09/05/2017 14:40

After all these years, they've never had a Fiat Coupe on the show.
Posted By: ePiFaNT

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 13/04/2018 14:18

Hastily Peter Solberg-translated from a post on a norwegian Facebook group;

"Hi! We´ve worked with Edd China on a new program in Norway, where he visits people in their own garage, who for whatever reason has gotten stuck on their project. Edd visits and helps them bring their car back on the road. We've done a pilot episode and will try to sell this here in Norway and internationally.

In the first episode we visit Stian Jørgensen from Trøgstad who renovates a Golf GTi MK1 in his garage."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7jUwrR17Lo

No connections to anyone involved other than being a norwegian myself.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 13/04/2018 14:43

Originally Posted By ePiFaNT
...he visits people in their own garage, who for whatever reason has gotten stuck on their project.

Now that might work for me, my old SpiderEuropa has not run for maybe 10 years now, but I'd never get on "Car Sausage" since I haven't had any life-changing health issues or family bereavements (apart from parents, to be expected) and would not therefore be "worthy", and besides, they had 2 Fiats already in the last series (a 500 at the start and a Dino Coupe at the end)
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 13/04/2018 18:26

Bumped into Mr Brewer at the Practical Classics show and asked when he was going to get to a coupe and he said it was being planned and to keep watching smile
Posted By: robcal

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 13/04/2018 19:42

I can't stand Mike Brewer. I also find the profit margins laughable - by spending x, we raised the value of the car by y. No factoring in of the dozens of hours of labour / tools egg.
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 13/04/2018 20:00

Originally Posted By robcal
I can't stand Mike Brewer. I also find the profit margins laughable - by spending x, we raised the value of the car by y. No factoring in of the dozens of hours of labour / tools egg.

I think they represent what the enthusiast would expect if doing the same i.e. no labour charges, tools used over and over egg

Originally Posted By Wikipedia

Summary
The programme was created with a DIYer in mind. The costs, and thus any profit or loss for a given project, are assessed without consideration of the labour costs of the mechanic (the assumption is that a well-equipped and able enthusiast could complete all work himself) but if repairs require professional help, like body resprays, complicated electronics, or windscreen replacements, they are added to the final cost.

Posted By: jimboy

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 14/04/2018 06:17

I'm up for any car related program whatever the format. You switch on & go with the flow,simple. Obviously some are more contrived with than others & some have more cringeworthy patter than others, that's the way it is. The car is the star as far as I'm concerned & all the shiny bits that are being bolted on. We all have different slants on these programs & that's the way it should be.

There are some annoying/irritating individuals on television that is for sure, & if it got to the stage where I couldn't stand a certain presenter so much I would just switch off, I'm not at that stage. I even watch at times the American offerings & there are some really irritating geeks on their automotive shows.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 14/04/2018 09:42

I loved Wheeler Dealers, mostly for Ed's spannering and orange gloves. I remember the hilarious image of him sat in a Lotus Elan (I think) with his head sticking out above the windscreen. Being 6ft 7" must rule out a few cars. The Coupe (especially with sunroof) would be a squeeze too.

Agreed on the sill "profit" disregarding the 1000 man hours Ed put in. V sad that the US have fiddled with the format.
Posted By: JKD

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 14/04/2018 21:52

After all these years, they've never had a Fiat Coupe on the show.
Posted By: ePiFaNT

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 04/05/2018 20:34

Pilot episode out now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaW9Sg5NPyE

Really did enjoy this, even with the VW laugh
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 06/06/2018 20:05

Had first hand experience with Mike brewer and he was far worse than the TV could construe.
Very much looking forward to an Edd led series though, I'll check out the pilot soon
Posted By: Morrison

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 07/06/2018 20:42

I watched the pilot recently, thought it was quite good, no budget - here's how you fix a car, without brewer getting in the way.

Not quite car SOS as the car (and owner) was in decent shape to start with.

I love car sos too, especially Tim's cringworthy give me those parts free scenes. Someone always seems to be chopping onions in my house at the end of show.
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Wheeler Dealers new series - 08/06/2018 06:13

I enjoyed the pilot - all the best bits of Wheeler Dealers without the VERY annoying Brewer distractions and fabrications
Car SOS wins hands down still
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK