Fiat Coupe Club UK

Photobucket

Posted By: Nigel

Photobucket - 30/06/2017 05:56

It looks like many thousands of forum threads across the planet will soon be without photos, as Photobucket in their infinite wisdom have decided to prevent third-party hosting of images, unless the account owner subscribes to a $40 per month account.

This forum will be hit particularly badly (compared with say Pistonheads) as all of the images here are hosted elsewhere.

Photobucket is obviously within its rights, but the PR will be disastrous.

Regardless, I think the forum techies should spend a little time looking at the alternatives and making a recommendation to the members for a free image hosting site.

Personally, I use Flickr for my good stuff and Photobucket for my snaps of car parts etc. I don't really want to clutter up my Flickr account with photos I'm not proud of.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Photobucket - 01/07/2017 12:37

This really is an unbelievable PR disaster for PhotoBucket, have you read the thousands of posts on their Facebook page?

I personally have over 10 years of pictures stored on there, most of them are linked to various forums and all of them now completely useless.

It's the way PhotoBucket did this, no warning, just shut off all the images overnight with an image that tells you to upgrade, an upgrade that will cost you $400.

I'm not sure if this was greed or stupidity driven, either way, the outcome probably won't be what PB desired.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Photobucket - 01/07/2017 13:39

I've effectively lost a load of stuff too. There have been endless complaints from users over recent months (if not years), so maybe there's something going on behind the scenes.
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Photobucket - 01/07/2017 21:28

This has taken a massive chunk out of our how-to's cry I've used Photobucket for 14 years and have hundreds if pics on there. I think it's a desperate last throw of the die attempt to make a quick buck. Maybe 2% of users will pay up or something. It's a very cynical move by the company.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Photobucket - 02/07/2017 04:51

I expect to see this kind of thing happening more and more as people get really peeved with adverts and block them.

The financial models whereby advertising pays the bills aren't working any more, and the companies are getting desperate. In the past, the cost of storage, processing, and networking connection has decreased pretty much on par with increased usage, but that's pretty much bottomed out.

However, I don't believe that ten dollars a month is in any way representative of their current costs. For example, Facebook's income divided by their number of users comes out at around twenty bucks a year. I don't have numbers for image hosting, but it can't be twenty times that. This is taking the mickey.

Re: Photobucket - 02/07/2017 07:47

Just a word of warning about imgur...

Originally Posted By Imgur T&Cs
Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it.

So this means that if someone using Imgur to host photos, some of which are linked to threads on this forum, and said person annoys Imgur, they could turn off ALL image links to FCCUK. We would be even worse off than we are now - at least at the moment, some of the Photobucket images still work (presumably because the image poster has a paid-for account, or maybe because PB haven't got round to killing the account off yet - they appear to be doing it gradually)

I would urge the forum Admins to consider using a paid for image hosting facility for images that are held in important threads such as 'How-To's

Re: Photobucket - 02/07/2017 08:53

<cough> That's an imgur image in your sig, Nigel... </cough>

The admins are considering options. This is a long-term issue which has just been brought to a head by PB's actions.

Re: Photobucket - 02/07/2017 12:29

Neil - yes, I know - I signed up for Imgur as soon as the PB news hit.

It looks like a good solution for now, but there's no telling whether Imgur will also pull the plug on excessive third-party links at some point in the future (especially as they'll get flooded with new accounts in the wake of the PB fiasco)

Good to know it is being discussed - I'm sure you'll consider the wider picture

Re: Photobucket - 02/07/2017 16:51

It's the end times for free internet services, I think, Nigel.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Photobucket - 03/07/2017 11:13

Well - there goes all the old how to stuff I wrote! frown

Re: Photobucket - 03/07/2017 11:40

Originally Posted By barnacle
It's the end times for free internet services, I think, Nigel.

I don't think its quite that bad, but I think there will be a significant differential between free and paid-for.

The business model of free services to the masses in order to encourage a subscription service for a few that want a better service / more space / no ads etc is failing. The only way to make it work is to come up with a service that people want at a price they are more than happy to pay.

If Photobucket had said "give us $10 a year", I reckon the vast majority would have had a little whinge at the realisation of the inevitable, then input their credit card details. However, at $400 pa, its difficult NOT to come to the conclusion that PB wanted people to close their accounts

I'm worried enough that Flickr will eventually do the same that I've now signed up for Flickr Pro - its only $50 pa ($35 with a current promo code), so a small price to pay for a terrabyte of storage, decent speed and a really nice UI
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Photobucket - 03/07/2017 11:40

But if you wrote it, you still have access to your PB account so it's just a matter of downloading them and uploading them somewhere else like Flickr, Imgur, whatever? (but may be a lot of effort)
Posted By: came2dance

Re: Photobucket - 04/07/2017 20:59

Nello's way of doing it seems quite simple smile Only downside for some forum fossils is that you need a facebook account but hey everyone has one right smile

Originally Posted By Nello
A Smashing run out yesterday to a great little event - we'll be back!

FB Photos

Nice pictures too Nello cool

Re: Photobucket - 05/07/2017 04:36

Works fine for ephemeral images but less well for things you want to last as long as the forum (bearing in mind that many people may have a coupe for a year or two and provide many useful how-to images in that time, but then sell up and potentially erase the lot.)
Posted By: came2dance

Re: Photobucket - 05/07/2017 12:46

Works fine for ephemeral images but less well for things you want to last as long as the forum (bearing in mind that many people may have a coupe for a year or two and provide many useful how-to images in that time, but then sell up and potentially erase the lot.)

You are of course right Barnacle. I was just thinking of the immediate problem as usual crazy We definitely need a hosting solution for how toos and any other archival stuff shocked
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Photobucket - 11/07/2017 14:41

I found this thread after looking out for how to get past the incredible PB issue?

It seems (like others) I have to all intents and purposes, lost a host of images telling the story of my Coupe journey (such as Porto to do list)?

Has the forum put together any sort of action plan or recommendation to people on;

a) How to recover photos "stored" on PB and
b) How we might continue to post photos?

As a "third party" host, can the forum itself subscribe to PB, perhaps via an increase in annual membership, rather than people registering individually?

To whom do the actual images belong?
Presuambly the individual account holder?
Posted By: paulw

Re: Photobucket - 11/07/2017 19:23

If the Admins would like to get in touch, I may be able to supply an answer to this problem, or at least a home for the 'How To' information and images.

Possibility of a dedicated location - depends on the amount of data / bandwidth, but I would think possible.

It would be a managed location.

Paul
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Photobucket - 17/07/2017 19:38

Originally Posted By paulw
If the Admins would like to get in touch, I may be able to supply an answer to this problem, or at least a home for the 'How To' information and images.

Possibility of a dedicated location - depends on the amount of data / bandwidth, but I would think possible.

It would be a managed location.

Paul

Sounds good Paul. Have you put you're idea to the admins on here?
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Photobucket - 17/07/2017 20:31

So what am I missing as I've thousands of pictures on PB but can still link working pictures.

Brooklands 2009

click to enlarge

FCSS 10th anniversary 2017

click to enlarge
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Photobucket - 17/07/2017 21:34

You must have more than the basic freebie account given the number of albums/photos you have, maybe a low cost subscription in the past that has entitled you to host pictures in the way that most of us can't?
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Photobucket - 17/07/2017 22:13

Having a look tonight I have a Plus 20 plan whatever that means.
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Photobucket - 17/07/2017 22:23

Just today I have lost my avatar photo,so that means(I think) that all my previous posts here or anywhere else with pb photos now have thier 3rd party non sharing logo.

I hated the rigmarole of posting pics on here when I had to use pb and the codes. So other than that it's no real loss I suppose.

It's just that my adventures with my coupe go unrecorded on here. I do realize that may be a good thing in parts.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Photobucket - 21/07/2017 17:47

Does anyone know how to get all their photos off Photobucket easily?

I tried the other day and they said they'd send me an email when ready. Email arrived, clicked on it and it said nothing was available to download ffs rolleyes

I already have Google photos, so would like to try and get everything onto that, but just an easy download of all Photobucket photos to the computer would be good to know for now.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Photobucket - 21/07/2017 18:27

I got an email from them today. Shysters the bloody lot of them.

I think you have to download your own photos one at a time.

Re: Photobucket - 21/07/2017 18:29

Originally Posted By PeteP
I think you have to download your own photos one at a time.

Yes, it seems so grr frown

Re: Photobucket - 21/07/2017 20:05

You're supposed to be able to download complete albums, but lots of people are having issues, presumably because Photobucket is inundated with people doing the same thing

Has the Admin team come up with a solution to ensure 'important' photos are safeguarded? (E.g. How-to threads etc)
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: Photobucket - 21/07/2017 21:07

I'm sure somewhere I downloaded many how to guides and PDF'd them saving the pics with them. I will have a dig out and send onto admin this weekend if I can find them.

Re: Photobucket - 21/07/2017 21:37

Originally Posted By Nigel
Has the Admin team come up with a solution to ensure 'important' photos are safeguarded? (E.g. How-to threads etc)

Yes we are working on a solution.

In the meantime please would anyone who has their own images which are linked to a How To, please save them to their own PC to keep them available to rebuild the guides in the near future.

Thanks.
Originally Posted By coupedummy
I will have a dig out and send onto admin this weekend if I can find them.

Thanks Reuben, If you can find them could you send them to spaitalia@fiatcoupeclub.org where I can pick them up please?
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: Photobucket - 23/07/2017 08:24

Ive sent the pdfs i have over. I will go through all the how to guides and see if i can get to the pictures and make the pdf's up of the guides if you want?

If not i will see if i can get hold of the author and the images.

Re: Photobucket - 23/07/2017 13:23

Thanks Reuben, that's brilliant.

The PDFs came through fine.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Photobucket - 25/07/2017 14:40

Yes PB is being a complete pain and won't let me transfer ANYthing.

However I've found some photos relating to some howto''s on lock refurbishment, indicator fettling and one or two others - would they be useful if I could send them over to admin somehow? For me I guess the easiest is by email.....

Re: Photobucket - 25/07/2017 15:42

As Coupedummy did, could you send them to spaitalia@fiatcoupeclub.org where I can pick them up please Simon.

Re: Photobucket - 25/07/2017 16:12

No bother.....in process now..

Hope they can be of use....
Posted By: skeandubh

Re: Photobucket - 25/07/2017 18:36

I might have some How Tos that I've pdf'd. I'll see what I can dig out.

Re: Photobucket - 26/07/2017 15:28

So the How To files I have to send are a total of 32Mb, even when zipped up. Any advice on the maximum file size you would like me to send, then I can work out how many zip files.

Re: Photobucket - 26/07/2017 15:35

Originally Posted By skeandubh
So the How To files I have to send are a total of 32Mb, even when zipped up. Any advice on the maximum file size you would like me to send, then I can work out how many zip files.

FWIW I've just sent over a dozen emails each with about 10MB of photos attached, but then that's probably because I thought my hotmail account might object to anything larger.....

Re: Photobucket - 26/07/2017 15:54

Originally Posted By skeandubh

Simon just sent me a number of photo files the largest of which was 24Mb, so we know that at least that much gets through in one go. Thanks Simon.

I'd try the lot at once and see what happens.

Re: Photobucket - 27/07/2017 09:42

I've sent 3 emails, each with a zip file of How To's which I pdf'd. I also have a lot of the original photobucket photos if you require them.

Re: Photobucket - 27/07/2017 10:45

Thanks Les, they came through fine.

If those original photobucket images will help us re-create more How To's please send them too. No great hurry as we will be busy with what you, Simon and Reuben have already sent.
Posted By: Mark_D

Re: Photobucket - 27/07/2017 22:09

Unbelievable!!!

I think if Photobucket had gone about things in a more decent fashion, and at least given a fair time to sort things it wouldn't have been so bad.

Just dropping a bombshell like that, and holding people to ransom is disgraceful!

As stated previously, a sensible fee for their services would be acceptable as far as I'm concerned, but they really are trying the Highwayman approach!
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: Photobucket - 28/07/2017 04:43

If you want to transfer large files then you can use a free service called wetransfer which sends an email down load link. Very easy to use

Re: Photobucket - 05/08/2017 21:57

Without sounding totally thick here, if I forked out the money that Photobucket are demanding, could I be likely to see the pictures in the guide section.

Or does it also mean that the people who have compiled guides would also have had to fork out the Photobucket ransom?

At the moment I'm in limbo as I want to be able to see the guide pics to carry out some work.....most exasperating!

Re: Photobucket - 05/08/2017 22:07

Originally Posted By Mark_D
Without sounding totally thick here, if I forked out the money that Photobucket are demanding, could I be likely to see the pictures in the guide section.

Or does it also mean that the people who have compiled guides would also have had to fork out the Photobucket ransom?

At the moment I'm in limbo as I want to be able to see the guide pics to carry out some work.....most exasperating!

Any of these useful?

Re: Photobucket - 05/08/2017 22:12

Wow!...many thanks Edinburgh! smile

Re: Photobucket - 06/08/2017 07:09

What's the work you want to carry out?

Re: Photobucket - 06/08/2017 08:03

My understanding is that if you forked out the money you still would not be able to see any pictures on Photobucket unless the person who had posted them had been willing to have his trousers taken down by Photobucket too.

Re: Photobucket - 06/08/2017 16:48

As Pete stated: the PB fee is to allow *your* images to be linked, not to allow you to see *others'* linked images.

Re: Photobucket - 06/08/2017 16:55

Originally Posted By PeteP

My understanding is that if you forked out the money you still would not be able to see any pictures on Photobucket unless the person who had posted them had been willing to have his trousers taken down by Photobucket too.

Lol, that's what I was unsure about, hence me asking

Re: Photobucket - 06/08/2017 17:01

As Pete stated: the PB fee is to allow *your* images to be linked, not to allow you to see *others'* linked images.

Thanks, that's clarified things wink

Re: Photobucket - 06/08/2017 17:10

Originally Posted By Edinburgh
What's the work you want to carry out?

Erm, there's a number of things, mainly cosmetic stuff like taking the handbrake surround out to clean off the gummy rubber coating and buff like I've done to the heater surround.

Thanks to the brilliant guides for fixing the brittle posts at the rear, and removing the gooey rubber coating, mine came up really well after a bit of d a work.

Might need to do some work on the door handle & replace 20vt badge.

Remove inner, rear door cards to check for rust, seal 'Pininfarina' badges & install better speakers.

Also a few exterior things like de-rusting & protecting underside & suspension parts etc.,

Re: Photobucket - 06/08/2017 21:21

I meant the heater switch surround, or centre console is probably more accurate
Posted By: DanTheManc

Re: Photobucket - 03/09/2017 08:34

There is a fix for this problem, but you have to use Google Chrome as your browser. The fix downloads into Chrome and then you are able to see all the embedded Photobucket images that have been posted in previous threads. I found it on another forum I'm on and downloaded it and now I can see all the old pics. This is the fix:-

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...nflicjjgj?hl=en

Re: Photobucket - 03/09/2017 19:48

Originally Posted By DanTheManc
There is a fix for this problem, but you have to use Google Chrome as your browser. The fix downloads into Chrome and then you are able to see all the embedded Photobucket images that have been posted in previous threads. I found it on another forum I'm on and downloaded it and now I can see all the old pics. This is the fix:-

Thanks for this info smile

Re: Photobucket - 03/09/2017 22:43

Thanks Dan cool

Anyone worked out how to get their personal photos off Photobucket yet?
I keep trying to download/copy my albums and even individual photos, but I can't frown grr
if i do get something to work, it's just a link back to Photobucket.

Re: Photobucket - 03/09/2017 22:47

Originally Posted By DanTheManc

You superstar! - many thanks smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK