Fiat Coupe Club UK

Mower Engine Repairs

Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Mower Engine Repairs - 06/08/2017 09:20

Anybody know of a service that repairs (larger) mower engines? 400cc-ish

The one on our Efco (though it's generic) ride-on mower has died (oil being ejected from the exhaust - assume significant piston or head issues) and, by the time the local place has swapped it for a new one and replaced a couple of belts, they want £1100. I think that's about what I paid for it 5 years ago.

The mower, I've discovered, is really generic and all the maIn brands from John Deere to Mountfield to Honda do a version of it and stick in their engine (presumably) and badge.

I've tried contacting Efco UK (who also seem to be the engine manufacturer) but without response.

It seems a real waste to write the mower off but I really don't want to throw £1100 at it either - especially as I really could do with something a bit bigger for new home.

Added complication is obviously that I'm moving house in 3 weeks and Eve's treatment.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Mower Engine Repairs - 06/08/2017 12:56

Is this any good, MRS?

http://www.lawnmowersparesukltd.com/

Re: Mower Engine Repairs - 06/08/2017 14:01

Thanks, Jim, but no. Seems as though mower engines should be treated as disposable
Posted By: sugerbear

Re: Mower Engine Repairs - 07/08/2017 11:05

Can't you find out what the engine is and do the swap yourself? I can't imagine that the engine part is that difficult to replace if it's been used on a generic model.

Order the belts yourself.

Alternative options would be a boat yard, motorbike place that can take apart the engine, if it's a briggs and stratton engine then you can try to source a spare one on fleabay.

Re: Mower Engine Repairs - 07/08/2017 11:24

Yeah - if it weren't for my daughter having cancer, moving house and the mower being 550 miles from where I am, I'd have sorted it one way or another.

What I'm finding particularly baffling in this age of the internet is the almost total lack of info on the engine itself. It's branded an Emak (which seems to be an Efco own brand as far as I can tell - which isn't much) or spares for mowers. I remember repairing the head on my old Qualcast many years when you could buy pretty much any bit.
Posted By: came2dance

Re: Mower Engine Repairs - 07/08/2017 12:26

don't know if this is any help Rich Lawmower bits

Re: Mower Engine Repairs - 07/08/2017 13:32

Originally Posted By came2dance
don't know if this is any help Rich Lawmower bits

This is the best place so far. Can't find ride-on parts but they seem to have access to to Emak engine parts so I've mailed them.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK