Fiat Coupe Club UK

Legal help, executor of a will. Forum Power

Posted By: cjh

Legal help, executor of a will. Forum Power - 09/08/2017 13:23

Hi all,
Hope someone can give me a steer?
I am an executor for a will - the person passed away and another member of the family had possession of some of their valuables. The deceased had asked them to keep them safe prior to their death.
The individual (Brother in law) has been asked for them, doesn't admit to not having them but not willing to relaease them - and last thing I want to do is cause a ruckus with him (Even though every bone in my body is screaming HEADBUT THE **** smile

I have all the required documentation to prove my position as executor and administrator.
Should I just phone old Bill and report him, or turn up and make sure I don't through the first punch wink
I hope there's a better way as it's no way to deal with a dead persons wishes...

Many thanks
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Legal help, executor of a will. Forum Power - 09/08/2017 14:36

Hi CJH,

If we are talking about probate, the best advice I or anyone else could give you is speak to a solicitor with experience of handling such issues.

This is a pretty complicated area of the law and there are lots of pitfalls and problems when discharging your duties as executor. it sounds like the behaviour of the brother in law may delay the prompt discharge of fiduciary duties in this case.

As you have already correctly assessed, out of respect to the deceased person you must act with tact and diplomacy as executor even if others don't want to act that way

hope this helps
regards
Pete
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK