Fiat Coupe Club UK

I'm back. (Sort of)

Posted By: Downhillryder

I'm back. (Sort of) - 07/11/2017 12:45

Probably not the right place to post but i'm sure someone will move it to the right place.

So I've been absent the forum since the last week of August hav8ng suffered a major stroke which left me completely paralysed down my right hand side.

Initially they could not find the cause but after a week in the acute wards they found the clot on my brain stem rather than the usual places.

After waiting 3 weeks for a place at a rehab unit I spent a further 4 weeks learning how to regain use of my right arm and leg before being discharged.

Currently at home waiting assignment of an outpatient physio. I can walk with and without a stick and do limited tasks with my right hand. I spend most of my days exercising to help improve things.

So I have rejoined the forum after 3 months in order to emjoy tales of the mighty coupe and their owners and brighten my day. I'm not sure how long it'll be before I drive again,assum8ng I can get insurance, but it is my intention to do so. To that end I have resurected the playstation and associated driving seat to practice steering and foot movement.

The plan is at least to get the old girl out the garage to clean and run it up. (The old wax on wax off rourin3 will be good for regain8ng arm movement.)
Posted By: magooagain

Re: I'm back. (Sort of) - 07/11/2017 13:03

Best of luck with the reCoupe eration.

My older brother had a severe stroke 15 years age at the age of 63. He is up and driving for the last 13 years all fine.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: I'm back. (Sort of) - 07/11/2017 13:34

Gosh, what a tale!

Fantastic that you are so positive in your fight for fitness again and helping by piling on the physio - I'm sure it'll be tough at times but every bit will help smile
Posted By: came2dance

Re: I'm back. (Sort of) - 07/11/2017 13:54

Yes great attitude Downhillryder. With that spirit i'm sure you'll be back in the driving seat before too long. Best of luck with everything!

And - note to everyone. You never know whats around the corner so make the most of it!
Posted By: jimboy

Re: I'm back. (Sort of) - 07/11/2017 13:55

Good grief Dave, at least you're hanging in there. I had a health scare some months back, but I'm back on form grumping away.... laugh I'm impressed by your positive attitude, keep up the good work with yourself & the Coop. All the best to you.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I'm back. (Sort of) - 07/11/2017 14:20

Good luck with that mate, look forward to your updates on progress
Posted By: HiraethHuw

Re: I'm back. (Sort of) - 07/11/2017 20:27

Blimey. Sorry to read this, D R.
My mum had a big stroke five years ago.
The best bit of advice we had was not to compare your abilities that you have now to what you had before the stroke, but to how you were immediately after the stroke.
That way you can chart your progress more realistically.

Sounds like you are taking a positive approach and I wish you strength and a good recovery.

Waxing your Coupe is great way of building yourself back up
smile
Posted By: Theresa

Re: I'm back. (Sort of) - 07/11/2017 23:45

I hope you make a good recovery soon. Sounds like you will though with the work you're putting in and wish you all the best cool
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: I'm back. (Sort of) - 08/11/2017 12:22

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,

That Positive attitude is the right one! Hope to hear your back in the driving seat soon!

MM

Re: I'm back. (Sort of) - 10/11/2017 12:06

PMA
👍

I wish you well with your recovery.

Re: I'm back. (Sort of) - 11/11/2017 02:40

I suffered a brain haemorrhage back in 2006. I could not even talk after that and also could not walk. My mind was made up that that was going to change. I don't think anyone has ever thought that I was ever like this or had suffered such a thing, apart fro family who saw me.

Positive mind can conquer anything mate and it looks like you have one. Good luck and fortune favours the brave. You'll be driving in a matter of months thumb
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: I'm back. (Sort of) - 11/11/2017 09:50

Crikey - what life-changing events. It's easy to forget that these things do happen to everyone and anyone. Being positive seems to be the one common factor that helps recovery be truly effective, on top of the medical side. Best wishes DR - hope you're back behind the wheel soon.
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: I'm back. (Sort of) - 11/11/2017 19:22

Gosh, such incredible bravery and positivity. I do hope you will make a good recovery and will soon be driving that Coupe again. When I had a breakdown in 2013 it was the thought of recovering and being able to drive my red Coupe again which really helped me. Having something to look forward to is so important. Sending you heaps of extra positive vibes. xx
Posted By: Downhillryder

Re: I'm back. (Sort of) - 14/11/2017 18:37

Thànk you one and all for the encouragement and best wishes.
Some inspiring tales here.

Exercise continues... wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off.....
Posted By: Gripped

Re: I'm back. (Sort of) - 14/11/2017 21:30

Best wishes to you DHR.

I have two friends who had strokes in their early 30's, and they've both made a full recovery. One of them has been featured in the Stroke Association publicity. I'm sure you are aware of the support they offer, but if not:
https://www.stroke.org.uk

As a worst case example, my grandad had a stroke in his 50's and was permanently paralysed down one side (leg and arm), and his speech never fully recovered. And yet, he was still driving his car into his 80's (automatic Volvo with one of those knob things on the wheel).

Keep up the good work !

thumb
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK