Fiat Coupe Club UK

MacBook optical drives

Posted By: Edinburgh

MacBook optical drives - 06/01/2018 14:22

I'd started out with the intention of PM'ing a forum member whom I thought was bound to know the answer to this, but note he hasn't been online since the end of November frown

I think the optical drive in my mid 2012 A1278 MacBook Pro is beginning to play up - it's spitting out discs and once tried to digest one which took ages before eventual regurgitation.

Does anyone know if these are available NEW from anywhere? I've done a fairly extensive search but have only unearthed refurbished ones.

I realise one option is to buy an external unit but would prefer if possible to have it within the MacBook - that's what I bought it for before Apple got sniffy about providing them at all.

Re: MacBook optical drives - 07/01/2018 15:08

Ok, not getting too much joy here laugh

Has anyone used one of these dvd cleaning kits?
Posted By: ePiFaNT

Re: MacBook optical drives - 07/01/2018 16:16

Try OWC, they have been in the mac upgrading business for ages: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MMB5SD8XDLK/

EDIT: err, sorry about that, they seem to only support the early 2008 models and older crazy
Posted By: sugerbear

Re: MacBook optical drives - 08/01/2018 15:26

I actively removed them from all from my macbooks as they invariable break or start to play up and add extra weight. External is the way forward but appreciate that you don't want that.

One option might be to buy an external drive and take it apart and the use the machanism and pop it into the mac. I don't think there is anything special about the DVD drives, they are brand name items.

Re: MacBook optical drives - 08/01/2018 16:03

Originally Posted By sugerbear
I actively removed them from all from my macbooks as they invariable break or start to play up and add extra weight. External is the way forward but appreciate that you don't want that.

One option might be to buy an external drive and take it apart and the use the machanism and pop it into the mac. I don't think there is anything special about the DVD drives, they are brand name items.

Very interesting - I replaced my optical drive in my old white MacBook with a refurbished one from the US several years ago. The online howto was too good not to try out smile

I've ordered the cleaning kit for a fiver meantime and see if it makes any difference - if not there is one good deal on Fleabay for an external drive which "looks" identical to Apple's. I'll be phoning them anyway to quiz them about it before purchase. And yes I noted in the past they're branded...

I like the lateral thinking of cannibalisation smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: MacBook optical drives - 08/01/2018 21:37

Hi,

If you can justify it, I have installed a few Blu-Ray writers in the 2012 macbook pro.

The model is Panasonic UJ267. about £50 - £75.
Posted By: MarioCirillo

Re: MacBook optical drives - 08/01/2018 22:42

PM Sedicivalvole

I will tell him to check his PMs

Re: MacBook optical drives - 08/01/2018 22:47

Originally Posted By MarioCirillo
PM Sedicivalvole

I will tell him to check his PMs

Cheers Mario - Nick is the very chap I originally had in mind but as you see he's not been on for a while thumb

On the case...

Ah - he's over his limit!

Re: MacBook optical drives - 08/01/2018 23:20

Originally Posted By JamesWorts
Hi,

If you can justify it, I have installed a few Blu-Ray writers in the 2012 macbook pro.

The model is Panasonic UJ267. about £50 - £75.

Thanks for the tip thumb
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: MacBook optical drives - 15/01/2018 23:42

As if by magic bowtie
Posted By: MarioCirillo

Re: MacBook optical drives - 16/01/2018 09:31

lol

Re: MacBook optical drives - 16/01/2018 13:05

Originally Posted By Sedicivalvole
As if by magic bowtie

Optical illusion? laugh
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: MacBook optical drives - 22/01/2018 15:38

Oh dear laugh

Re: MacBook optical drives - 06/02/2018 22:01

Now well sorted, thanks chaps and particularly Mr Now-you-see-him-now-you-don't" laugh

Re: MacBook optical drives - 25/02/2018 15:28

And today after several unrelated obstacles finally got around to swapping them out thanks to the amazing ifixit guide - and success! yipee

Again muchas gracias to the facilitators smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK