Fiat Coupe Club UK

Which smart speaker?

Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Which smart speaker? - 19/02/2018 20:00

MrsC has decided that the time has come for an electronic assistant. For her birthday, she's asked for either an Amazon or Google device. My instinct is to go with Google, as they are my evil tech Behemoth of choice. But are there any other convincing contenders?
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Which smart speaker? - 20/02/2018 00:15

I have an Amazon Echo Dot. Only mainly used as a radio/for music though, but it's small and discreet and sits there nicely, just waiting to be spoken to laugh

Depends what you/MrsC wants from the device really I suppose.

Re: Which smart speaker? - 20/02/2018 05:56

Thanks Theresa. MrsC likes to ask lots of questions of Google, as well as playing music, and I can imagine a time when other things might be added. But not Hive...!
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Which smart speaker? - 20/02/2018 07:11

What one does GCHQ recommend? smile
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Which smart speaker? - 20/02/2018 07:15

Originally Posted By Submariner
What one does GCHQ recommend? smile

laugh
Posted By: bockers

Re: Which smart speaker? - 20/02/2018 09:02

We bought an Echo Spot, and it is remarkably good for it's size. Having a display comes in very handy too. We have a Show in out kitchen and a couple of Dots in other rooms. We use the shows for checking up on elderly relatives and garage to house calls laugh The dots are there for the home automation stuff.

The choice is one between Google and Amazon. The former being better for general enquiries, the later better for home automation. Also a small point but saying "Alexa" seems a lot nicer then "OK Google".

I would recommend a Sonos One, which is powered by Alexa were it not for the fact that some of the Alexa functionality is compromised.

Since the Echo dots can be had for around £30 they are a good device to start with. you can pair them with a Bluetooth speaker too.

Much depends on how you like your music. If you want it loud and rich you will need the bigger speakers like the Echo or the Google Home(not the Mini).
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Which smart speaker? - 20/02/2018 19:35

I got rid of both of my Echo Dots. I have small Google thing. Mrs MRS has the bigger Google at Cambridge and loves it. Couple it with some sort of Chromecast and you can play music through old Skool stereos - like my Arcam Solo. Eve has the bigger Echo but curses it quite a lot.

As bockers says, Google is far better for answering questions whereas the Echo seems to be ahead in the home connectivity race.

If you like radio, Google streams it from the Beeb whereas Echo (used to) stream it from a less reliable tune-in radio.

Anyhow, definitely Google for my needs.

Re: Which smart speaker? - 21/02/2018 05:27

Thanks, everyone, I think I'll go for the Google Home...
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Which smart speaker? - 21/02/2018 12:28

Possibly too late, but another vote for Sonos One, the sound quality for music is brilliant and is a great fit for Alexa.

Re: Which smart speaker? - 22/02/2018 06:08

It's not too late, but our needs are more info based than music. Stepkids have their own UE speakers and we don't get a lot of time to listen.
Posted By: bockers

Re: Which smart speaker? - 23/02/2018 19:43

Then Google probably suits you better Jim, and that's coming form an Alexa fan.

Before you finally decide do have a look at the Alexa Spot and Show. A screen is surprisingly helpful.

Re: Which smart speaker? - 04/03/2018 16:18

Another question on this subject: Would there be any major issues with buying a US model? They are available for £80 instead of £130

If any of the content/commands are geo-locked for instance, it would be a bit of a pain...
Posted By: Dan

Re: Which smart speaker? - 04/03/2018 16:50

Originally Posted By Jim_Clennell
Another question on this subject: Would there be any major issues with buying a US model? They are available for £80 instead of £130

If any of the content/commands are geo-locked for instance, it would be a bit of a pain...

Before they were available in the UK people used to import them and they worked fine, however that might not be true forever as you never know what will happen with future updates. It's also worth bearing in mind that the supplied power supply is fairly big and would be a bit ungainly hanging out of an adaptor.

Personally, I'd get a UK one.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK