Fiat Coupe Club UK

What, no super super snow thread!

Posted By: samsite999

What, no super super snow thread! - 27/02/2018 10:27

Shocked not to have seen one!
Share your snow pictures! THUNDER SNOW! SAVE the children, run to the shops and buy all the bread... because the BEAST FROM THE EAST is here!

You would think were all about to die by the way the media is going on, there is enough salt on the roads up here to recreate the dead see locally next time it rains.

It does raise some interesting points however about the destabilisation of the jet stream over the UK and just how much we as a country are protected from the cold both in terms of the jet stream (air) and the gulf stream (water) both of which could be affected by the melting of ice.
Posted By: 1200smithy

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 27/02/2018 11:52

Careful Mate. This snow must be radioactive or something equally dangerous the way the hysterical PC brigade carry on!
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 27/02/2018 12:06

No snow here smile
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 27/02/2018 14:26

Danger Snow! Run!! Save yourselves!!!

3 inches of the stuff here-panic! Panic!

Oh I forgot-I can drive. So it took an extra 20 minutes to travel this morning.

The country really does need to man (woman and transgender) up.

The media do sensationalise every single little thing.

And sadly people believe what they are told...Brexit, Trump, War etc.

Stay calm, turn off the tv - and deal with it. It will soon be sunny and warm again.

Regards

MM
Posted By: Nigel

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 27/02/2018 15:12

The problem is that there's an entire generation (or maybe even two) that doesn't have the slightest idea how to drive in modestly slippery conditions.

Add in an public transport infrastructure that's forgotten how to cope and we're left with a pitiful excuse of a country when the snow gets past a couple of inches deep

I certainly don't recall ever having a day off school because the snow was too deep - I definitely remember walking to school with snow over 6" deep and when I got there, the teachers had arrived early and cleared the paths. The only thing that was forbidden was snowball fights in the classroom....

I'm planning a road trip to the snowiest bits of Wales for some photography - might as well enjoy it!
Posted By: neil_r

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 27/02/2018 15:25

Add to that people buy 4wd cars with the thinnest of UHP tyres, all sorts of electronic aids masking what is really happening and wonder why they suddenly end up in a ditch.
Posted By: Submariner

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 27/02/2018 15:57

I watched a BMW going backwards today and marvelled at it's total inability to get traction with it's rear wheel drive in snow and ice.
Posted By: Trappy

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 27/02/2018 15:59

Originally Posted By Master_Mariner

Oh I forgot-I can drive. So it took an extra 20 minutes to travel this morning.

My office started clearing out at midday when it started snowing. Sun was out by 2pm and now it's mostly melted. Seems like everyone in the area had the same idea - my sat nav is reporting 15 minutes faster to get home.

4WD and slippery conditions yipee driving
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 27/02/2018 16:07

What snow?

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 27/02/2018 16:11

We had a fresh dusting in the morning, it went, then we had a blizzard, then it went again, not an issue. I have no where to be and no need to leave the house!

I would not like to share a road in rush hour with other people and snow.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 27/02/2018 17:18

Yellow snow warning!

Don't eat the yellow snow!
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 27/02/2018 17:59

In the Highlands no-one seemed to notice until there was a foot of the stuff.

I have two snow shovels in the shed!
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 27/02/2018 18:13

The only snowflakes in my part of Leicester are those who get offended by trivial issues... laugh

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 28/02/2018 08:36

Originally Posted By samsite999

I would not like to share a road in rush hour with other people and snow.

This. It is horrendous watching them. Pootling up to the bottom of a large snow covered hill then stopping at the foot of it to wait for the last person who did the same and is now stuck 20 feet in front one minute, then doing 60-70mph on a ice / slush covered motorway the next.

The Golf R performed admirably. I overtook the queue up the hill in snow twice as deep on that side of the road laugh
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 28/02/2018 09:07

Driving in winter conditions....how to we train for that?

We don't have the predictable climate to guarantee a snowy period within which we might gain a small certificate for "Vehicle Control in Snow and Ice".

I can't see centres equipped with skid-pans popping up around the country.

It's ironic that we spend time learning to drive but are denied the critical techniques of motorway driving and cold weather driving, although with the former at least there is now talk about tackling this.

"Give the boy a catapult" .....but tomorrow he's in the trenches.....
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 28/02/2018 09:54

I hear you all chaps,

A good 6 inches plus today.

I made it in to work - currently the only one here.

The journey in took an extra 2 hours - and the reason were the people who were clearly incapable of driving, blocking roads and slithering in to one another at 1 mph.

Its not the snow that bothers. Its the idiots waiting to T-bone your car.

Apparently the heavier snow will be Thursday...

Regards

MM

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 28/02/2018 10:29

Originally Posted By Edinburgh

We don't have the predictable climate to guarantee a snowy period within which we might gain a small certificate for "Vehicle Control in Snow and Ice".

It's ironic that we spend time learning to drive but are denied the critical techniques of motorway driving and cold weather driving, although with the former at least there is now talk about tackling this.

"Give the boy a catapult" .....but tomorrow he's in the trenches.....

Valid point Simon, for the amount of "bad weather" we get you could argue there really is no point in skidpan training and it would be very unnecessary expense to an already very expensive process, learning to drive.

Where it occurs each and every year its a worth while investment as the stipulation the vehinal must be equipped with winter tyres.

You could argue that money would be better spent on teaching people better road discipline, motorway driving ect.

I think its just an expected consequence, the occurrence is so low that its not worth programing for. People with a vested interest will make there own arrangements and let the none vested fight it out them selfs
Posted By: jimboy

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 28/02/2018 13:28

Blazing sunshine here, flurries of snow periodically, bloody cold though, a very dry cold at that.... snowman
Posted By: avtokrator

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 28/02/2018 19:37

The best read for today, totally agree with all of you, the news channels here (Spain) already have name for the 15cm of snow: Beastie weather

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 28/02/2018 20:07

It's all right for you, Avtokrator - I'm booked for a flying holiday starting the 10th March in Algodonales... and it looks like the bottom half of Spain is solid rain - 2cm a day - for the next ten days.

Which is as far as my forecasts go.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 28/02/2018 23:04

You could go to Norway/Sweden though and drive around a frozen lake and learn different techniques on how to control a car laugh I did this in a Subaru the first time and a Hyundai Coupe the second time.
Excellent fun, even though I was crap at it laugh

We've had a couple of inches of snow in my part of North Wales, but no problems getting around so far.

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 01/03/2018 05:42

Originally Posted By Theresa

You could go to Norway/Sweden though and drive around a frozen lake and learn different techniques on how to control a car laugh I did this in a Subaru the first time and a Hyundai Coupe the second time.

Now you're talkin' cool

Club sponsorship? tongue

we've had a 4"/100mm fall overnight.... snowman

They've done the right thing closing schools etc. up here in my opinion - breakdowns and accidents put far too much strain on emergency services.

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 01/03/2018 08:03

They've done the right thing closing schools etc. up here in my opinion - breakdowns and accidents put far too much strain on emergency services.

That sounds like putting a plaster over a bigger problem to me. What makes cars break down in snow? The current temperatures we're seeing (down here in Essex anyway) are no lower than they are at this time of year with no snow. I'd have thought rain would cause more problems, especially large puddles.

The accident part is because people aren't 'driving to the conditions'. You should never develop processes and procedures around incompetence.

Persoanlly, I think it's a shame that schools close when it snows. I have fond memories of walking in to school in thick snow as a nipper. It's part of growing up in this country!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 01/03/2018 09:34

Not looking like the coupe is coming out to play anytime soon :

click to enlarge
Posted By: Dan

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 01/03/2018 10:20

That looks awesome! Where are you? (don't say behind the camera)
Posted By: DaveG

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 01/03/2018 11:05

Near Glasgow IIRC?
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 01/03/2018 11:54

On the south coast it's just soggy. A few flakes this morning and nothing really since.

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 01/03/2018 12:42

Originally Posted By GrahamL
Not looking like the coupe is coming out to play anytime soon :

click to enlarge

How on earth did you fit the coupe in there?

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 01/03/2018 13:47

Originally Posted By Trappy

That sounds like putting a plaster over a bigger problem to me. What makes cars break down in snow?

Yep I can't disagree with your snipe at inadequate ability to deal with the types of road conditions we're experiencing.

In defence of the decision though there are factors such as house prices in Edinburgh being so ridiculous that many teachers have to live several miles out (and the capital's not that big) along roads which the highways dept simply cannot control with one blizzard following another. This is also true of parents who live above the snow line.

Interesting from a social point of view that in rural areas, especially further north, farmers assume the responsibility of clearing the most remote locations, or are even expected to. Maybe this is also true dahn sarf?

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 01/03/2018 14:24

Interesting, I have seen loads of broken down cars in the last few days.
The weather has been exceptionally cold, its likely components that are not greased of looked after picking up salt and dying or people not looking after cooling systems and freezing.

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 01/03/2018 15:31

I'm in Glasgow, yeah... and the snow has just started again.

That's the side door to the garage you were in, the main door is through the gate at the left of the pic.

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 01/03/2018 16:15

I'm in Glasgow, yeah... and the snow has just started again.

That's the side door to the garage you were in, the main door is through the gate at the left of the pic.

Lol I was referring to the item in the middle of the pic laugh

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 01/03/2018 16:51

Lol I was referring to the item in the middle of the pic laugh

Haha, I was wondering if you meant that.... this is the barbecue under there (or at least it was last time it was used about 3 years ago), the coupe isn't quite ready to go on there yet but I haven't ruled it out at some point in the future! smile

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 02/03/2018 12:52

Turns out you can get a fiat panda stuck

click to enlarge

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 02/03/2018 16:35

Looks like backwards is still an option.

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 02/03/2018 17:09

It was, with a shovel

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 02/03/2018 18:34

Originally Posted By samsite999
Turns out you can get a fiat panda stuck

click to enlarge

It actually looked to me, at first instance, that you dug out a Panda-shaped recess in the snow then drove into it, not that I could think why you of all people Sam would ever put your 4x4 into such a position laugh

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 02/03/2018 18:41

A drift to far... I couldn't get though this one. Ramming speed will only get you so far

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 02/03/2018 18:44

Not any better here today:

click to enlarge

I see a drip so it must be thawing. smile
Posted By: JKD

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 04/03/2018 10:34

I've noticed that there's always a proper sense of community whenever it snows like this, because it really makes everyone come together and help each other out.

I mean, yesterday I checked on my 93 year old neighbour, who I last spoke to about 7 months ago, to see whether he needed to get anything from the shops. He said he did, so I gave him my shopping list too.

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 04/03/2018 23:34

Lol laugh
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 05/03/2018 10:41

Not any better here today:

click to enlarge

I see a drip so it must be thawing. smile

It looks very cold there!
Glad it's finally melted and warmed up a little here as my boiler decided to go on strike last Friday.
Can't get the parts to repair it until Wednesday either snowman

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 17/03/2018 07:50

Oh noes! Winter weather happening in winter! Man the barricades, we're all going to die!
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 17/03/2018 20:16

Light frosting down here, only just worth mentioning.

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 17/03/2018 20:18

Been snowing and so very very cold. Been working on the panda and the wind has been horrible....and that's inside a workshop!
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 17/03/2018 21:09

We moved house last weekend (number 50 for Mrs C) and I spent several hours this morning pressure-washing the patio, while the snow fluttered around. The fun never stops.

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 17/03/2018 21:45

Living the dream Jim, living the dream

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 18/03/2018 01:29

Snowing here again at the moment, although has been on and off all day.

Wrexham Council have their faults, but I can't fault how they've gritted and kept the roads clear this winter so far cool

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 18/03/2018 08:26

Ha - I was out at 7am with my snow shovel (repatriated from the Highlands) clearing snow from our steepish hill and salting the roads (to cheery thumbs up from drivers struggling up the hill). Must send the bill to my cousin who heads up the council. Mind you, he’s been dealing with the pesky Russian nerve agent so can be excused for not keeping my road clear. And it beats an hour on the turbo.

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 19/03/2018 07:27

Bloody lethal this morning - sheet ice in lots of places and blizzarded snow across the roads

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 19/03/2018 09:44

Light fluffy snow on the back of the bravo last night, but nonetheless the rear wiper arm - plastic - broke off. I think someone has been tugging at it grr but ebay to the rescue.

No problems on the road between Hemel and Cambridge.
Posted By: JKD

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 21/03/2018 18:51

I've noticed that people become friendlier whenever it snows like this.

There's a guy in my area with a Coop, who in the last 5 years has never waved back at me whenever I've waved at him, when we've both been in our Coops during normal weather.

The other day when it snowed heavily again, I was driving to a friend's house, but I wasn't in the Coop. I saw this guy's Coop on the side of the road. He was stood next to it and he started to wave at me. I thought to myself that it was really nice of him, to remember and acknowledge me after all these years even though I wasn't in the Coop, so I gave him a wave back. But he was so nice that he kept on waving and he didn't stop until I had driven all the way past him.

I looked in the rear view mirror and saw him stick his middle finger up at me. I think I offended him because I didn't keep waving.

Re: What, no super super snow thread! - 22/03/2018 10:31

Its *almost* gone. There are still drifts about and I could still go have a snowball fight if I wanted to.

Its been a very long time since I can recall this much snow, over this many occasions. I can recall as a very young child we got hit with bad snow that took power out for a few days, and again as a 20 something it being so cold for so long that the river froze over and the oil for our oil fired heating turned so goopy is wasn't flowing to the boiler correctly.

I can't recall a winter however so mixed, so stormy and with so many occurances.

1) This year I have learnt that our local council is terrible at managing roads with snow. The equipment they have wont go out in snow, but yet you see tons of gritters when its forecasted to drop cold.

2) Local farmers have saved the community and I do hope they get paid for there time and costs. The ONLY people that kept things moving were the farmers with snow plows on the tractors and snow blowing equipment.

3) I hate driving on snow plowed roads, may be better for others but I find fresh snow far less dangerous. Maybe just me

4) having taken the winter tyres of the panda and replaced with summers... The difference is remarkable. I wont be so early to do that next time..

5) A change is as good as a break. People fall in to holding pattern, a snow day is mostly an excuse to do something different. Look up, play with the kids, just look outside and watch in wonder as the 20 year old attempts to do drifts in a fwd car.. tongue
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK