Fiat Coupe Club UK

Nigel lower brace - first impressions

Posted By: Trappy

Nigel lower brace - first impressions - 07/11/2017 08:31

So ( tongue ), it’s been a few days since fitting the Nigel subframe brace and I’ve covered a few miles since (40 or so), so I feel I’m in a positon to offer some ‘early impressions’ feedback.

First off, before fitting it certainly looks the part and feels like a hefty bit of kit, just as I’d read in the few remaining posts on the subject from over the years. I can see why it got the better of objects it has struck so no issues on the design front!

To the fitting, then. I’ve got to be honest; I’ve been a bit lazy over the last few years so I decided to do this myself for a change (well, with the help of a friend who is good at this sort of thing anyway). The built in adjustment didn’t need adjusting as it had already been on another coop I guess! A good idea though so, again, full marks for the engineering / design thumb

When it comes to the drive – I’m not so sure here really. I know Nigel has never claimed that it transformed the car on its own – instead suggesting that it’s probably one of the later mods to complete, certainly after the rear ARB and front strut brace. I’m not sure what I was expecting but… I really haven’t noticed much difference?! I was hoping for a lot more precision and feel from the front end with slightly quicker turn-in response. I was worried that there might be a slight transition to an oversteer bias (like I had when I upped the front camber), but that isn’t the case either. Maybe I’m not pushing the car as hard as I need to really appreciate it yet?

Anyway, these are just my first impressions. I’ll update this when I’ve had a chance to try it out on some local country roads as it’s mostly been town driving so far; doing errands with a few blasts up local A-roads etc.

I’m starting to wonder if I may have fitted it incorrectly to be honest. Does anyone remember any issues and subsequent fixes around this area from the original threads on the subject? I took some pics at the time while trying to fit it in different positons so if anyone could have a look at these and offer any tips, I’d appreciate it thumb Apologies for the quality – my phone’s camera lens is cracked…

Click to reveal...

Outside area
I don’t have a shed (which is where most people on here seem to fit it) so I wondered of maybe keeping it outside would work?
click to enlarge

Click to reveal...

Under the stairs
This is closest thing I have to a shed really. It’s used as a dumping ground for gardeny stuff. It didn't work – maybe it’s too warm in here?
click to enlarge

Click to reveal...

Top of the wardrobe
I wondered if it had to be on a shelf in the shed – with no shed OR shelves in the whole house though, I only had my bedroom wardrobe to try… Maybe the teddies pu it off??
click to enlarge

Click to reveal...

In the loft
An odd room I have in my house that I figured might serve the purpose? It too is a dumping ground - nope.
click to enlarge

Click to reveal...

A shelf (to the loft room)
So I do have a shelf! Still didn’t work…
click to enlarge

Click to reveal...

Back of the sofa
This was a bit of a random one if I’m honest. Maybe a bit ridiculous even, but my sofas have a largely unused area when the back is up so I thought I’d give it a try!?
click to enlarge
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Nigel lower brace - first impressions - 07/11/2017 10:19

I like the sofa one the best. So handy and accessible .
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Nigel lower brace - first impressions - 07/11/2017 10:22

I seem to remember that it fitted in two positions. One of them is wrong.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK