Fiat Coupe Club UK

2017 North Scotland tour...

Posted By: Edinburgh

2017 North Scotland tour... - 02/08/2016 15:14

Well it seems that casual quips and mutterings are angling for another of these odysseys laugh

I'm a bit tied up for the next week or so but in the trusty hands of Dante Giacosa there is to be found a MAP and a PENCIL ....
Posted By: jimboy

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 02/08/2016 15:19

That would be great Simon. I wont be as excited next time & I wont put you through the ordeal of sharing a room..... hehe

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 02/08/2016 16:45

Ultra-north this time onto pastures new sounds good to me smile

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 02/08/2016 17:44

Aye Simon, Kylesku bridge & beyond on the A894, stunning scenery again. If anyone saw the last episode of Top Gear that bit of road was filmed by a drone when they were driving a Mustang.

Note to Jim......start practising with drone camera....... laugh
Posted By: dante giacosa

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 02/08/2016 19:26

Alright then.

"Roll up, roll up..!"

Conceptual planning starts here.

I'm thinking of a first night at Ullapool. (Where Rosso & I nearly ended up after our wrong turn on Day 1 of the West Coast Tour!).

It's not far from where we started this year.

And then upwards, 'along a bit' and then back down. If that makes sense?

When, how far, how long for and who- is up to YOU!

Discuss...
Posted By: Rosso

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 03/08/2016 14:36

Yep Jim with you on that Ullapool for first stop.

Achmelvich beach campsite we camped at many years ago. Would love to visit again.

Would we go as far sat John o groats?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 03/08/2016 15:03

Ullapool isn't much further than Poolewe so count me in as ok with that.

Personally I'd be angling for 3 overnight stays.....

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 03/08/2016 15:29

Hey Rosso, I think I might be aware of Achmelvich- although I've never stayed there. Is that the one 'in the village', but round the corner towards the sea, so to speak?
I've always fancied that!

We can go as far, or for as long for, as everyone is comfortable with.

Have you been to John O'Groats before yourselves, Rosso..?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 03/08/2016 17:59

Aye great area. Ullapool for starters is a good shout. Just up the road you have lochinver & all the mountains, sulliven for example. Old man of stoer sea stack, then you've got kylesku bridge & beyond, the hotel is meant to very good indeed. I'm only suggesting..... smile Soo much to choose from.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 04/08/2016 21:17

Originally Posted By: dante giacosa
Hey Rosso, I think I might be aware of Achmelvich- although I've never stayed there. Is that the one 'in the village', but round the corner towards the sea, so to speak?
I've always fancied that!

We can go as far, or for as long for, as everyone is comfortable with.

Have you been to John O'Groats before yourselves, Rosso..?

Achmelvich is the beach with the campsite just by the side and then you have the wee village of Lochinver. Beautiful beach it is too. I took Pauline camping there one of first camping trips some years ago.

Nope. I'd love to put John O'Groats on the list if everyone was happy with that as stop. What about you Jim have you been?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 06/08/2016 23:51

SORRY for the delay there...!

That's sounds great - we could get more of a camping ethic on the go this time- if the weather gets bad- we can always sleep in the cars!

I have been to John O'Groats actually- I was there only a couple of years ago. As a place itself- it seems to be a photo opportunity, rather than a location as such.
The most Northerly part of the mainland is actually nearby and called Dunnett Head. There's a great light house there and not much else and this is a lovely spot.

Thurso is quite nice too
There might be a good curry house there!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 07/08/2016 00:45

We have a gig in Thurso at the end of October.....

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 07/08/2016 18:22

That'll be terrific

What's the venue?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 07/08/2016 20:19

That'll be terrific

What's the venue?

Thurso West Church, which is apparently warm and has a quality Steinway smile

Hmm, might send a flier to Dianne idea
Posted By: driley

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 13/08/2016 10:31

HELLO, yes, Dunnet Head is definitely a beautiful place and the most northerly point of the mainland Uk. There is a lovely walk along the cliffs and you can see Orkney, the No 1 place to visit for cruise ships and folk who love archaeology, amazing scenery, rare birds, good food,drink,music and tiffin.

JOG has had a major facelift, not been there since. It used to be pretty grim, but I'm sure it's better now.

Mey is a good stop, in between JOG and Dunnet. Queen mum had her castle there and the grounds and gardens are lovely. Will have to check when it's open.

Definitely on for the tour, not sure about camping, sleeping in the coupe ???????????

Hey Simon, do send me a flier.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 13/08/2016 11:21

Originally Posted By: driley
sleeping in the coupe ??????????
shocked

If you have a sunroof... click to enlarge

I'll forward your "enquiries" address to Susanne the concert organiser Dianne and she can send you details smile

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 13/08/2016 14:38

Originally Posted By: Edinburgh
sleeping in the coupe ??????????
:oo

If you have a sunroof... click to enlarge

I'll forward your "enquiries" address to Susanne the concert organiser Dianne and she can send you details smile

Well, look at that, enough to change my mind about camping, ......... Not rotate rotate wobble

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 18/08/2016 08:32

Couple of good pointers there, Dianne- thanks for that.

Time to get the big map out again and get the felt tip pens at the ready...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 21/10/2016 21:20

Have been watching some of the 2016 dash cam footage this evening. Great memories. Do hope the 2017 tour goes every bit as well for you all. Any update on plans?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 28/10/2016 13:51

hello Bernard,

as it happens, I have been talking about this a lot recently.

However, the unavailability of another key-planning member, who shall remain nameless, but who drives a yellow car with a black roof, has prevented any evolution of the core concept.

However, as Simon has just driven right up the A9 to Thurso, I expect when I see him next week, enthusiasm will be to-notch for planning...!

watch this space...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 28/10/2016 15:19

hello Bernard,

as it happens, I have been talking about this a lot recently.

However, the unavailability of another key-planning member, who shall remain nameless, but who drives a yellow car with a black roof, has prevented any evolution of the core concept.

However, as Simon has just driven right up the A9 to Thurso, I expect when I see him next week, enthusiasm will be to-notch for planning...!

watch this space...

Oi shout can you hear me?!

I heard that laugh

Indeed we should get on the case just as soon as I've hauled myself and Mrs Ed back up the cliff-face onto the mainland .....key-planning eh? - saw what you did there wink

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 06/11/2016 09:57

I'm going to be really contentious here.

It happens that FCSS 10th anniversary event is down in the diary for 17th June, which has the potential to coincide with another North of Scotland Tour if last year's dates are anything to go by.

Would anyone consider postponing our Scottish-based meet to the following year in order to attend what is looking like the biggest UK event to happen for a long time, with scores of coupes and folk even coming from abroad?

We can break the journey on the way there and back anywhere to enjoy great drives/scenery, e.g. Horseshoe Pass near Llangollen or Cat and Fiddle near Macclesfield.......

I'm thinking it makes sense!

Edit: the downside of this of course is that it's less likely to appeal to the northern-most of coupe-owners .....Dianne, jimboy... frown

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 06/11/2016 22:17

Well after 12 hours and 60 views I'm getting the impression that this idea is going down like the proverbial ton of....... frown
Posted By: barnacle

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 07/11/2016 06:44

Give 'em time, Simon; it's probably those nosey southern types that have been looking so far.
Posted By: MCMike

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 07/11/2016 08:43

Well after 12 hours and 60 views I'm getting the impression that this idea is going down like the proverbial ton of....... frown

I'd be interested in the Scotland tour, dependant on dates cool

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 07/11/2016 13:39

The FCSS event will be brilliant. Gutted I'll be at work for that one.
Any reason not to do a Scottish run later in the year? Fleeting possibility I could join in myself if it happens a week or two into September.
Posted By: skeandubh

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 07/11/2016 21:21

I'd be interested as well since I'm originally from as north as north can go on the mainland. Just need to get my act together and get the LE on the road. Only been garaged for the last 13 years.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 08/11/2016 21:02

I'd be up for both-

I think we should maybe offset the Northern Tour to make it possible to do both and allow everyone who wants to attend, to attend...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 08/11/2016 22:02

Ok then, let's leave this thread as titled and anyone who's interested in the FCSS event can declare their own interest smile

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 08/11/2016 22:21

I expressed interest in the FCSS thread already, but realistically I'd be Coopless if I were to go. I was waiting to see how many Scottish Coopsters would be going. I would certainly split costs if someone was brave enough to have me as a passenger... laugh driving

Again I was waiting to see how the Scottish tour would pan out. Personally I feel this could go ahead as well, obviously at a later date. Just my thoughts.... smile
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 09/11/2016 08:49

Simon if the dates don't clash with the Anniversary, club AGM or Le Mans I'd be up for a Scotland tour, it's been in my wish list for years.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 09/11/2016 08:53

Originally Posted By: Countrycruising
Simon if the dates don't clash with the Anniversary, club AGM or Le Mans I'd be up for a Scotland tour, it's been in my wish list for years.

thumb

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/12/2016 09:37

Hi everyone, yes the FCSS a bit too far for me and can't take extra time off from my business. However, happy to go ahead with N Scotland tour, it would be good to get dates agreed asap as I can try to get cover for the business or not take bookings that week.
September sounds good.

Happy Xmas and New Year to all. X

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/12/2016 18:27

Hi everyone, yes the FCSS a bit too far for me and can't take extra time off from my business. However, happy to go ahead with N Scotland tour, it would be good to get dates agreed asap as I can try to get cover for the business or not take bookings that week.
September sounds good.

Happy Xmas and New Year to all. X

All the best to both of you Dianne snowman

(had a visit from a certain E deG last week smile )

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 21/12/2016 09:31

Right.

We need to engage with this.

If the FCSS anniversary event is the 17th of June, let's assume we can't do two events in a month

Can people state their preferences for either May or July for the Northern Tour-

And also how long they can imagine being away for?

(whenabouts is the Club AGM and Le Mans..?)

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 21/12/2016 11:27

I'm certainly up for this. I'm pretty much easy on dates, although my Coop may well be out of action due to refurbishment. Same three day spec as last time sounds good to me. Up further North/West & beyond.... driving

Just to add, I had a wee chinwag with Simon & Barney during the Christmas meet & made it very clear that camping at my stage of life was totally out of the question... nono Me & a tent just wouldn't work I'm afraid. suicide

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 21/12/2016 14:05

I'm away first two weeks of July....

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 22/12/2016 09:31

Okay, so the 2nd half of July, starting to take shape?

I need to get a wallplanner so I can mark up all the dates we can't do.

I'm sorry- I'm a bit out of the loop on other events - can someone quote me the AGM & Le Mans..?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 22/12/2016 22:25

Checking our diary but don't see any problems with July for us.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 22/12/2016 22:36

Okay, so the 2nd half of July, starting to take shape?

I need to get a wallplanner so I can mark up all the dates we can't do.

I'm sorry- I'm a bit out of the loop on other events - can someone quote me the AGM & Le Mans..?

Thanks for taking the planning on again. good to be thinking about the summer with Storm Barbara bearing down on the North.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 24/12/2016 15:01

Hey Brian-

That's terrific to hear.

And from you too, Dianne! Do you think you could make the second half of July yourselves..?

Four days, three nights...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 01/01/2017 08:59

Hey Brian-

That's terrific to hear.

And from you too, Dianne! Do you think you could make the second half of July yourselves..?

Four days, three nights...

I definitely want to be there in July. Hopefully I can get someone to cover the business, if you firm up the dates with everyone else in mind, I'll work something out.

Happy New Year everyone
. yipee yipee

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 02/01/2017 10:34

Happy New Year yourselves!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 05/01/2017 22:15

Hello everyone...

Well, after months of conjecture and general laziness, we have a concept.

And a change of date.

Can everyone make a date across the second or third weekend in August now? We are looking conceptually at going across the weekends of the 12th & 13th or the 19th & 20th.

We are looking at an anti-clockwise tour of the North, starting with an initial meet again, probably in Inverness.

We are looking at a first night somewhere like Helmsdale.
Then, probably missing out the top right hand corner of the country to take the opportunity to head inland and North to the coast again.

A second night somewhere like Unapool.

And a third night probably in Ullapool.

Road atlases out! Thoughts please...?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 09/01/2017 23:41

Perhaps something like this

Route

An alternative is to cut east at Garve and head for the A9 if the other is considered over-long. (I was only trying to include the A890 along Strathcarron driving )

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 10/01/2017 13:26

The A890, do you say..?

The "route of dreams..."??!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 10/01/2017 16:08

The A890, do you say..?

The "route of dreams..."??!

Yes it's almost as if it was all over in a flash love

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 10/01/2017 21:28

Well...

(At the speeds YOU drive...)

Oops!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 10/01/2017 21:57

Now how is that possible with a stretched speedo cable!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 10/01/2017 23:38

We've got to have a look at that haven't we..?

(Another thread starting here- sorry)

Back to the 'Tour...

Roll up, roll up!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 11/01/2017 17:38

Think we will probably come down on the Aberdeen boat and try and join up with you in or around Pitlochry. This will avoid going over the route three times!!!!

Have you any suggestions for overnight stops? At this stage just locations, not hotels.? Happy just to go with the flow on details, it's the journey as they say.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 11/01/2017 18:38

Think we will probably come down on the Aberdeen boat and try and join up with you in or around Pitlochry. This will avoid going over the route three times!!!!

Have you any suggestions for overnight stops? At this stage just locations, not hotels.? Happy just to go with the flow on details, it's the journey as they say.

It's only skeletal so far and dependent upon people's thirst for mileage...for example the route suggested above clocks up around 670 miles for the likes of Brian and Pauline coming from the Central Belt.

But to try and answer your Q then maybe 1st night around Helmsdale, 2nd around Tongue or even Unapool, 3rd night tba (not the Aultguish Inn near Garve for example as it's £500 a night for a double room shocked )

Price could be a factor here as it's smack bang in holiday time.....would everything be slightly cheaper say in September?

Hmm.....is there even a reason for doing the circuit clockwise instead?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 12/01/2017 07:16

I'm all ears...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 12/01/2017 13:58

It's only skeletal so far and dependent upon people's thirst for mileage...for example the route suggested above clocks up around 670 miles for the likes of Brian and Pauline coming from the Central Belt.

But to try and answer your Q then maybe 1st night around Helmsdale, 2nd around Tongue or even Unapool, 3rd night tba (not the Aultguish Inn near Garve for example as it's £500 a night for a double room shocked )

Price could be a factor here as it's smack bang in holiday time.....would everything be slightly cheaper say in September?

Hmm.....is there even a reason for doing the circuit clockwise instead?

Good grief Simon! £500 a night for the Aultguish Inn! I used to stop off there years ago on fishing trips (a long story for another time drink ) It's certainly not that grand. shocked

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 12/01/2017 14:42

Do you know, if nothing else comes out of this

My life is richer for these emoticons alone!

Well done Jim...!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 12/01/2017 15:08

Do you know, if nothing else comes out of this

My life is richer for these emoticons alone!

Well done Jim...!

Enter positive thinking opponent............ laugh
Posted By: sebasteeno

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 12/01/2017 22:44

Hi guys, ive recently bought a Coupe that is my next project but i also own an Alfa 155 and we did Scotland in October 2016 and it was truly Epic!!! Superb quiet roads, no speed cameras if you stay off the main routes (like the A9) and was the best driving roads tbh i think ive ever driven

We started Stirling on the sat - out to Fort William then back into Aviemore for an overnight which was a great place to stay - i spent a year in Oz backpacking and it felt like there - and we all drank lots of Whisky! Next day we headed further north before going south to finish in Perth - another epicly good day - So good were doing it again next October but heading to Skye!

Heres some photos of what we did and the scenery - mines the black 155 (we had a little 155 wedding too)
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

The next day - unfortunately we lost a couple of cars during the saturday
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Oh and heres a video i made - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Y4mDypEWI

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 13/01/2017 00:02

Hey Sebasteeno!

That looks AMAZING!

Lucky you having that 155 -what a peach (I have always, and still continue to want one) and what a great trip you guys had!

Wow- I can't believe we missed that, or at least some form or crossover meet & greet on your journey. We will have to meet up when you return in October.

Great pictures... Terrific to get that 75 & 166 out as well. Did you get much support from the Alfa Club in Scotland..?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 13/01/2017 00:07

2nd thoughts

I've just seen a bit of your video and thought it was speeded up-

Then I realised it wasn't!

Maybe we won't meet you in October, after all!!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 13/01/2017 06:49

Hey sebasteeno, great pictures & story. I'm only 20 mins from Loch Ness & an hour or so from the West coast, aye some great driving roads up here.. driving You must do the pass to Applecross then come back & tell us what you thought. If you're up here again give me a shout, I'm 8 miles North of Inverness.

Happy trails....Jim... smile

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 16/01/2017 12:42

2nd thoughts

I've just seen a bit of your video and thought it was speeded up-

Then I realised it wasn't!

Maybe we won't meet you in October, after all!!

Lol - we was motoring smile

As for the trip - this was something we organised through the alfa155.org forum - our next trip is the weekend of October 21st-22nd starting in Stirling again then out to Skye.

Last trip we had 5 155s plus the 75,166 and Fiat 500 who are 155 owners or have been

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 16/01/2017 20:36

So, if I get hold of a 146 in time (my other Alfa 'want') I could join you??

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 16/01/2017 22:18

So, if I get hold of a 146 in time (my other Alfa 'want') I could join you??

Of course mate

Full details on our FB page see here - https://www.facebook.com/events/374107236255107/

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 16/01/2017 22:58

(gr-8!)

ANYWAY.

back to the tour. Does anyone have any questions?

Are we looking at a change of route from West to East..?

Dates?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/01/2017 10:09

right,

despite a crushing feeling that this isn't going to happen (at least with anyone other than myself!), I think I have established behind the scenes that we have genuinely about six Coupe's worth of interest, possibly seven.

It has been mooted that September might be the better month for a few people.

Can anyone confirm or deny this, for themselves..?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 23/01/2017 08:52

Hmmm...my daughter is getting married at the beginning of October but that may not necessarily impinge on a September meet.

Only thing is term is well and truly underway by Sept. frown
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 23/01/2017 16:43

I'm up for this, but the Coupé will still be a fair bit away from running order. Would an Alfa GTV be okay to tag along?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 23/01/2017 21:41

Hey Jimbob!

'Course it would- that would be great!

Any preference on dates (/months) yourself..?
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 23/01/2017 21:52

I'm on holiday from 11th to 24th September, so that would be the ideal time for myself, but I'm easy. Whatever everyone else decides on is fine with me.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/01/2017 21:39

After speaking with Pauline we both would be happier with a weekend in August but if September is more suitable time for more coupes then we are happy to go with September.

As far as the route goes... the earlier proposed route by Simon is good but maybe with one detour to John 'o' Groats.

Are we thinking same as last year starting on Thursday and ending Sunday?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/01/2017 22:00

I'm only replying to this if you come clean about the Italian tour you've got lined up Brian laugh

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/01/2017 06:40

What the one in 2024? Or the one in May?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/01/2017 06:44

Ah wait a minute Italian Tour or Italian toy?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/01/2017 08:28

I can't do early August.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/01/2017 13:58

He meant 'toy'!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/01/2017 14:20

This Italian toy
click to enlarge love driving

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/01/2017 17:11

Originally Posted By: Rosso
This Italian toy
click to enlarge love driving

Oh very nice! Signature already applied I see cool

Edit: oh wait, it's an Abarth shocked yipee driving

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 23/02/2017 14:16

Saw the above - and heard it love in the flesh last night cool

The outcome of a mini-meet held courtesy of DG last night was a probable date for this event and an cunningly-arranged Skype conversation with Dianne and Paul from Sydney laugh

Thursday 27th to Sunday 30th July as a core period, similar to last year

George has kindly offered to scout round for accommodation.

Projected itinerary

Day 1, up East Coast - 1st major rendezvous at House of Bruar coffee stop, drive to Lybster, north of Helmsdale. Option for those that want to take a jaunt to John o' Groats.

Day 2 along North Coast westwards, then south - drive to Unapool area (if o/night accommodation allows) along the north coast via Strathy, Tongue, Durness and Kinlochbervie

Day 3 down West Coast - drive to Invergarry area via Ullapool, Achnasheen and Dornie

Day 4 - return home/extend trip for those that want.

Example mileages and times involved:

Motherwell- Forth Road Bridge.....37M.......0h.50m
FRB- Lybster................................234...........4.40
Lybster- Strathy..............................42...........1.00
Strathy- Durness.............................51...........1.30
Durness- Unapool...........................35...........0.52
Unapool- Achnasheen....................78............1.40
Achnasheen- Dornie.......................35...........0.50
Dornie- Invergarry..........................41...........0.53
Invergarry- Ft. William..................24............0.35
Ft. William- Edinburgh................132............3.15
Ft. William- Motherwell..............129............3.05

Names..

1.Edinburgh
2.dante giacosa +1
3.George +1
4.Paulie3 +1
5.Rosso +1
6.driley +1
7.Bill+Robina
8.jimboy

Question marks over

Countrycruising
MCMike
Skeandubh
jimbob13

We need to commit quickly or accommodation will sell out.

Edit: Sorry Jim, just needed confirmation....I too will need to have mine back!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 23/02/2017 14:38

Of course I'm in smile

Hopefully I'll have my Coop back by then..... driving

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/02/2017 14:42

You can tentatively put me down. Depends on work really. As I'm originally from Caithness, and my other half from Sutherland, I've driven a lot of the roads you plan to use.

Just out of interest the google map route does not show going to Lybster but turning towards Melvich at Helmsdale and traveling up Strathhalladale. I'm sure your aware but a lot of these roads are single track with passing places, where you will meet tourists who drive very slow, and locals who drive very fast (they think they own these roads).

Sounds like a good craic though.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/02/2017 14:45

Better make it me +1. I think there might be a fight over the +1 spot though.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/02/2017 15:18

Originally Posted By Edinburgh
Saw the above - and heard it love in the flesh last night cool

Blimey I thought Jim was going to disappear driving in to the darkness for good after id handed the keys over. furious

I've passed all the rout details to Bill & Robina. Just have to get them setup on the forum now.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/02/2017 15:34

Originally Posted By skeandubh
As I'm originally from Caithness, and my other half from Sutherland, I've driven a lot of the roads you plan to use.

Good, you'll be able to point out all the "off-the-beaten-track" points of interest smile

Just out of interest the google map route does not show going to Lybster but turning towards Melvich at Helmsdale and traveling up Strathhalladale.

Yes it does continue north of Helmsdale towards Lybster but you're right it mistakenly heads inland just short of it

Itinery with slight amendment

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/02/2017 15:36

Names..

1.Edinburgh
2.dante giacosa +1
3.George +1
4.Paulie3 +1
5.Rosso +1
6.driley +1
7.Bill+Robina
8.jimboy
9.skeandubh +1

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/02/2017 08:25

Hey Skeandubh,

It would be great to have you & yours on board with local knowledge.

With regard to tentative interest; we are currently attempting to sew up accommodation, which by this point on last year's trip- had been in the bag for a few months already...

If you unable to say positively that we will see you, at this point, it might be more difficult to secure overnight stops as time goes on.

However: Perhaps you might have local connections you could draw upon in order to still attend? And if so- that is great as well!

(At the risk of putting my neck out, I shall say-)
We are probably looking to reconvene on a group meeting the week after next to discuss accommodation and take steps to book it.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 04/03/2017 19:03

Regarding accommodation I can fit in with you guys, but I also have the option to stay with locals I know on the trip up north and across the west, but not so much down the west coast.

Not sure if you plan any touristy type stop-offs but I have put some links below to some nice to see places. Obviously there are lots more so I can add if required.

Smoo Cave

Dunrobin Castle

Inverewe Tropical Gardens

Above are just some options. There are lots more to see.

Cheers, Les

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 05/03/2017 13:30

That's terrific- thanks for that info, Les...

I'm hoping to get in the Whaligoe Steps near Lybster too, myself...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 05/03/2017 13:38

Not heard much back regarding accommodation.....
@skeandubh, you might be taking up on your contact use !

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 05/03/2017 21:56

If you let me know the areas you were planning to stop overnight then I can look into possible accommodation options. Can't promise anything though as July Is usually fairly busy with tourists.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 05/03/2017 21:58

Originally Posted By dante giacosa
That's terrific- thanks for that info, Les...

I'm hoping to get in the Whaligoe Steps near Lybster too, myself...

Can't believe they used to carry fish up those steps from the boats. Imagine that in Scottish bad weather. We've got it easy.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 05/03/2017 23:04

If you let me know the areas you were planning to stop overnight then I can look into possible accommodation options. Can't promise anything though as July Is usually fairly busy with tourists.

Cheers, might take you up on that Les, let me get back to you thumb

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 06/03/2017 11:53

Yes, it's sobering (those steps)

However, relative to the risks endured to even catch the fish, it must have 'inconvenient' rather than life threatening...

Plus the wifi was rubbish in those days too, apparently...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 09/03/2017 19:01

Updated list of names..

1.Edinburgh
2.dante giacosa +1
3.Paulie3 +1
4.Rosso +1
5.driley +1
6.Bill+Robina
7.jimboy
8.skeandubh +1

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 10/03/2017 22:05

Ok, first night's accommodation for Thursday 27th July reserved at Royal Hotel Thurso.

Not quite our original intended location but at this moment everywhere has booked up fast and it's the Glasgow Fair so we did pretty well to get everyone in the same place.

Doubles are £80 B&B, 6 reserved
Singles (2 reserved) are £50 B&B, 2 reserved

Friday's should be done tomorrow, most likely in Ullapool.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 11/03/2017 07:19

Well done Ed,

Thanks for taking this on...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 11/03/2017 11:07

2nd night's accommodation now sorted in Ullapool, more details later smile

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 11/03/2017 13:29

Ooooooh, great fish & chips in Ullapool.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 12/03/2017 00:11

I'd forgotten about that- yeah: right enough, Jimboy!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 12/03/2017 13:22

2nd night's accommodation now sorted in Ullapool, more details later smile

Ullapool accommodations divvied up between Eilean Donan and Broomvale Guesthouses, again pretty reasonable rates incl breakfast, the most important of noshes yum

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 12/03/2017 16:49

Terrific work-

Thankyou for looking into this...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 13/03/2017 11:37

Yep I 2nd that terrific and the guesthouses are practically next door to each other.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 13/03/2017 11:57

Originally Posted By Rosso
Yep I 2nd that terrific and the guesthouses are practically next door to each other.

Yes but how far away are they from the pub? laugh

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 13/03/2017 12:49

I'm google mapping it as we speak wink

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 13/03/2017 12:56

I'm google mapping it as we speak wink

You don't need to get there that fast....

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 13/03/2017 15:59

Yes but how far away are they from the pub? laugh

It's OK I know my way around Ullapool Simon wink

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 13/03/2017 23:07

Third night accommodation now sorted in Spean Bridge, two places again, the Aonach Mor Hotel and Inverour Guest House.

Will tie all together soon in a new post.

So we have a tour! driving

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 14/03/2017 04:51

Well done, Ed-

Thanks for sorting the details

"Nothing can stop it now..."

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 14/03/2017 10:03

Ok, first night's accommodation for Thursday 27th July reserved at Royal Hotel Thurso.

Not quite our original intended location but at this moment everywhere has booked up fast and it's the Glasgow Fair so we did pretty well to get everyone in the same place.

Can you believe I spent my formative years drinking beer in Thurso, and the Royal hotel was one of the locations that used to be on the pub crawl route. Scarey.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 14/03/2017 15:44

Can you believe I spent my formative years drinking beer in Thurso, and the Royal hotel was one of the locations that used to be on the pub crawl route. Scarey.

Are they liable to let us in when they see we're with you?

laugh

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 15/03/2017 08:02

Here's the summary of the accommodation

1st night B&B (Thursday 27th July) reserved in Thurso.

Royal Hotel:
6 Doubles/twins @ £80
2 Singles @ £50

2nd night (Friday 28th) B&B reserved in Ullapool,

Eilean Donan Guesthouse £80 per double room
Broomvale Guesthouse, having two single rooms and a double for Rosso+1 that is happy with dogs

3rd night (Sat 29th) accommodation reserved in Spean Bridge,

Aonach Mor Hotel (3 doubles, 1 single) £35 per person
Inverour Guest House (3 doubles/twins @£95, £85 and £80, 1 single @£45)

We've tried to keep costs down while finding places within walking distance at this late stage which aren't fully booked already.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 15/03/2017 09:22

Should be ok with the Royal Hotel. It wasn't yesterday I was 17.

Well done with all the bookings.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 15/03/2017 10:58

Thanks for posting this up, Ed...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 17/03/2017 09:15

Could I make a suggestion to stop off at Kylesku bridge & perhaps have a meal/snack at the Kylesku hotel. Beautiful scenery, photo opportunity, truly jaw dropping stop off sites, rated by some to be the best in Scotland. Anyone who hasn't been in this part of Scotland before will be glad they stopped. love

Just to add the hotel is rather special, look it up.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 17/03/2017 09:47

Thanks for that Jimboy

We did look into the hotel actually

For a few moments...!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 17/03/2017 10:18

I think even if a meal/snack is out of the question,I still feel a wee opportunity to take in the surroundings, certainly not over doing things here, it's well worth the stop & Ullapool is not far to go after that..... smile

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 17/03/2017 14:47

Originally Posted By jimboy
I think even if a meal/snack is out of the question,I still feel a wee opportunity to take in the surroundings, certainly not over doing things here, it's well worth the stop & Ullapool is not far to go after that..... smile

Certainly worth putting in the diary Jim, thanks for the suggestion smile
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 01/04/2017 10:09

George has kindly offered to scout round for accommodation.

Projected itinerary

Day 1, up East Coast - 1st major rendezvous at House of Bruar coffee stop, drive to Lybster, north of Helmsdale. Option for those that want to take a jaunt to John o' Groats.

Day 2 along North Coast westwards, then south - drive to Unapool area (if o/night accommodation allows) along the north coast via Strathy, Tongue, Durness and Kinlochbervie

Day 3 down West Coast - drive to Invergarry area via Ullapool, Achnasheen and Dornie

Example mileages and times involved:

Motherwell- Forth Road Bridge.....37M.......0h.50m
FRB- Lybster................................234...........4.40
Lybster- Strathy..............................42...........1.00
Strathy- Durness.............................51...........1.30
Durness- Unapool...........................35...........0.52
Unapool- Achnasheen....................78............1.40
Achnasheen- Dornie.......................35...........0.50
Dornie- Invergarry..........................41...........0.53
Invergarry- Ft. William..................24............0.35
Ft. William- Edinburgh................132............3.15
Ft. William- Motherwell..............129............3.05

Names..

1.Edinburgh
2.dante giacosa +1
3.George +1
4.Paulie3 +1
5.Rosso +1
6.driley +1
7.Bill+Robina
8.jimboy

Question marks over

Countrycruising
MCMike
Skeandubh
jimbob13

We need to commit quickly or accommodation will sell out.

Edit: Sorry Jim, just needed confirmation....I too will need to have mine back!

This does look tempting and I'm off work then too. Just got to try and convince myself I want to do another tour in the Coupé chinny

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 01/04/2017 13:22

Originally Posted By Barmybob

This does look tempting and I'm off work then too. Just got to try and convince myself I want to do another tour in the Coupé chinny

There's no time like the present! thumb

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 01/04/2017 13:36

Go for it Barmy, apart from the craic, the amazing Scottish scenery is pretty amazing.... driving

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 01/04/2017 14:40

From home - THE TOUR - and back home = 1,400 Miles

In four / five days shocked

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 01/04/2017 14:51

The tour seems to be missing out on one road I really want to drive frown

An Aston in Scotland

This video was emailed to me by Tim, the salesman at the Aston Dealer in Cambridge - I told him about my Euro trips and he suggested Scotland, he was also trying to get me to buy his N430 evil

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 01/04/2017 16:09

Originally Posted By Barmybob
From home - THE TOUR - and back home = 1,400 Miles

In four / five days shocked

Yes but if you're already staying in Stirling it's a lot less laugh

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 04/04/2017 18:04

I've already posted that video...!

(Maybe that was another forum..?)

Drove that last year- it's okay.

But I think we might be doing just as well on this route to be honest...

But if you live in Scotland- you get a different sense of the routes, I suppose...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 07/04/2017 18:45

Sorry-

I've had to come back to this, after some thought.

The thing is Barmybob- the A93 is great- but it's all over in 90 minutes.

The routes we have chosen for the 'tour, are more of a 'journey' than a 'highlight'.
More of a 'perspective' on Scottish routes, nationally, than a key detail within the landscape.

Don't get me wrong- it's worth doing- and I LOvE the production of that EVO film!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 13/04/2017 22:40

Hi everyone, first contact since we got back from Australia and New Zealand, great we could Skype you guys from Sydney!! And how amazing I found a coupe in Oomuro, New Zealand, only seven exported there. Have photos which I must put on the Facebook page. With regard to the tour, Paul and I are Ok, yes, to all the arrangements. We have done a lot of the places mentioned including the Walligoe steps. There is a really nice cafe at the top in which to collapse when you have done the climb back up. Dunrobin Is really lovely and you can easily spend several hours there. Their bird of prey flying exhibition is worth seeing if we can get the timing right. Dunnet Head is definately worth a stop, very beautiful and the most Northerly point, though I can understand folk wanting to tick John O Groats off the list, nothing much there. I'll bring the tiffin as usual Jim. A tin for you and some for everyone else!! I made up a new recipe the other day with apricots instead of raisins, and ginger nuts instead of digestives, customers really liked it. Really looking forward to the tour and seeing you all again

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 14/04/2017 07:59

Hey Dianne-

Great to hear from you & Paul!

I'm glad the oddessy went without a hitch and that you are back safe.

Funny that you should be mentioning this actually- as I saw Simon & George last night, and I think I briefly mentioned that I will shortly start the design process for the Coupé-Tour '17 stickers. (Or, I meant to mention it anyway!)

Great to hear of the tiffin-planning (although: if it doesn't offend you- I might prefer the raisin to Apricot option!)- I'll start the diet now, to be able to accommodate the payload when the time comes...

A bit like under inflating your tyres before a track session- so when they see use- they fill out to the correct size (burp...!)

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 14/04/2017 11:43

wink love wink wink. Ha ha. No problem, back to original recipe for you.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 14/04/2017 11:58

Originally Posted By driley
Hi everyone, first contact since we got back from Australia and New Zealand, great we could Skype you guys from Sydney!! And how amazing I found a coupe in Oomuro, New Zealand, only seven exported there. Have photos which I must put on the Facebook page. With regard to the tour, Paul and I are Ok, yes, to all the arrangements. We have done a lot of the places mentioned including the Walligoe steps. There is a really nice cafe at the top in which to collapse when you have done the climb back up. Dunrobin Is really lovely and you can easily spend several hours there. Their bird of prey flying exhibition is worth seeing if we can get the timing right. Dunnet Head is definately worth a stop, very beautiful and the most Northerly point, though I can understand folk wanting to tick John O Groats off the list, nothing much there. I'll bring the tiffin as usual Jim. A tin for you and some for everyone else!! I made up a new recipe the other day with apricots instead of raisins, and ginger nuts instead of digestives, customers really liked it. Really looking forward to the tour and seeing you all again

What an adventure guys, glad you're back safe and sound on the edge of Blighty* smile

Have you considered a wheat-free version of tiffin hint hint tongue

*I knew the meaning but I've just looked up the derivation which I'm informed is
According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word derives from "bilayati", a regional variant of the Urdu word "vilayati", meaning "foreign", "British", "English" or "European.

Funnily enough "tiffin" is also of Indian derivation smile

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 03/05/2017 21:22

NOTE TO (OUR)SELVES...

* there is a gas station at Skiach, just after the Cromarty Bridge at the Black Isle
* there is a gas station at Tall Pines at Evelix, just after the Dornoch Firth bridge
* there are two gas stations in Brora

Just thought I'd pencil that in, for general benefit...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 03/05/2017 22:16

NOTE TO (OUR)SELVES...

* there is a gas station at Skiach, just after the Cromarty Bridge at the Black Isle
* there is a gas station at Tall Pines at Evelix, just after the Dornoch Firth bridge
* there are two gas stations in Brora

Just thought I'd pencil that in, for general benefit...

Very useful - can you recall if any of them are Shell?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 04/05/2017 12:08

ONE of the Brora ones, 'might be'

But the rest are 'Gleaner', who seem to have cleaned-up the East Coast market...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 04/05/2017 12:19

Usually when i head north i just fill up at Inverness. Shouldn't be any reason to use any of the stations between Inverness and Thurso - unless your mpg is really bad. Also the price are usually cheaper in Inverness than further north.

I've checked the Shell Petrol Station Locator website and it seems that the last Shell station when heading north is Inverness. Thurso seems to have Gleaner, Jet and Gulf brands available.

Just having a think about the meet up at House of Bruar. It's approx a 3 hour drive for me in the wrong direction (i'm on the east coast 30 miles north of Aberdeen), so it might be more sensible for me to meet the rest of you around Inverness.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 04/05/2017 12:49

Usually when i head north i just fill up at Inverness. Shouldn't be any reason to use any of the stations between Inverness and Thurso - unless your mpg is really bad. Also the price are usually cheaper in Inverness than further north.

I've checked the Shell Petrol Station Locator website and it seems that the last Shell station when heading north is Inverness. Thurso seems to have Gleaner, Jet and Gulf brands available.

Just having a think about the meet up at House of Bruar. It's approx a 3 hour drive for me in the wrong direction (i'm on the east coast 30 miles north of Aberdeen), so it might be more sensible for me to meet the rest of you around Inverness.

Yes there's a Shell station near the Raigmore turn-off that we used last year.

Fair point about House of Bruar, we could just meet up at the aforesaid Shell...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/05/2017 17:08

Well, a bit of an update about my situation. I'm still on for the tour but not with my Coop. I've given it some thought & although the hack would manage, it certainly would look out of place. I did have another ideas, but the obvious way forward is to hire something a bit special.... driving Watch this place.... laugh

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/05/2017 20:47

Well, a bit of an update about my situation. I'm still on for the tour but not with my Coop. I've given it some thought & although the hack would manage, it certainly would look out of place. I did have another ideas, but the obvious way forward is to hire something a bit special.... driving Watch this place.... laugh

Will it be a Fiat...... confused

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/05/2017 12:08

Unlikely as he said "something a bit special" biglaugh

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/05/2017 12:55

Originally Posted By Lego

Unlikely as he said "something a bit special" biglaugh

Booooooooo!!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/05/2017 15:18

Well! I'm not short of a few bob, but an Aston Martin is out of the question along with some other marks.. phone laugh A four day hire is quite an elumenting experience for something exotic... shocked It' going to be small rear wheeled drive & hoot behind the wheel...... driving

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/05/2017 15:44

Jim 124 spider of the Abarth type perhaps?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/05/2017 15:49

Warmish.... driving

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/05/2017 17:39

Warmish.... driving

Maserati Quattraporte ?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/05/2017 19:05

Lancia Stratos or 037 Stradale maybe.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/05/2017 21:27

Well! I'm not short of a few bob, but an Aston Martin is out of the question along with some other marks.. phone laugh A four day hire is quite an elumenting experience for something exotic... shocked It' going to be small rear wheeled drive & hoot behind the wheel...... driving

Lambo Murcielago?
Posted By: ScouseCoupe

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/05/2017 22:59

Alfa 4C

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/05/2017 23:02

Delta S4? (alright- 4WD)

Giulia Quadrifoglio ?

360 CS?

Or, that Caterham-hire place in Inverness?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 08/06/2017 20:28

Hey folks, I'd like to take my coupe across from from Orkney on the 27th just for the day and heading back at night or maybe the Friday if your going to be in Thurso that morning. Would it be possible to meet you with you all on the Friday morning? Boat gets into Scrabster at 8am ish.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 10/06/2017 07:32

Hey Barry!

Great to hear from you!

The 27th is day we actually arrive (probably dinner time) in Thurso, to stay the night.

The 28th is the day we go across the top coast and start down the West side.

It would of course be GREAT if you could join us for any of this. Can you stay over on the night of the 27th? Are you working the 28th..?

You could 'maybe' come over with driley, depending on arrangements...

(I've sent you a text)

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 10/06/2017 10:17

Originally Posted By alfaowner
Hey folks, I'd like to take my coupe across from from Orkney on the 27th just for the day and heading back at night or maybe the Friday if your going to be in Thurso that morning. Would it be possible to meet you with you all on the Friday morning? Boat gets into Scrabster at 8am ish.

Nice one Barry smile

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 19/06/2017 20:21

Hi Barry, I am booked on the 14.45 from the Hope on the 27th so we can meet up with everyone at Thurso in the evening. It would be great if you can meet up with us either for that boat or we could meet after 4 at the hotel.

I understand from Jim that you have had a sneak preview of my coupe when she was being serviced and detailed in Tankerness.

Looking forward to meeting you
Regards
Dianne

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/06/2017 08:44

Oh! did I say that!?

I think Barry stays in Tankerness.

That's great Dianne- can't wait to see you guys...

Getting exciting now! And here it is- the waiting is over-

here's the MUST HAVE Coupe accessory for 2017!!

click to enlarge

I might be getting a tattoo done, over the top of last years one!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/06/2017 08:46

Getting exciting now! here's the MUST HAVE Coupe accessory for 2017!!

click to enlarge

Brilliant job thumb

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/06/2017 11:39

This looks terrific. There's a guy on Stronsay who does tattoos, I've booked you in xx

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/06/2017 12:29

This looks terrific. There's a guy on Stronsay who does tattoos, I've booked you in xx

rofl

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/06/2017 13:46

Aye looking good Jim. Looks like it's going to be a busy tour. Local paper saying that more and more enthusiasts are heading for the loop. My wife spotted among other marks five Porsch GT's heading for the A9 on her way to work this morning. Wife never usually comments driving on moments like that...

Hey Diane, you still have the large sticker on your car from last year?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/06/2017 14:48

which sticker, Jim...??

click to enlarge

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/06/2017 17:32

Hi Jim, no unfortunately it didn't make the removal process. rolleyes had car detailed in and out for this trip.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/06/2017 17:44

Glad to hear your Coop is sorted. Unfortunately no Coop for me this trip, it's still down at Joe's being transformed. Hopefully this year some time will see its rebirth.... cool

My diesel hack would be an embarrassment so I'm hiring something small, rear wheeled propelled & a hoot to drive..... driving

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/06/2017 17:45

had car detailed in and out for this trip.

love

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 23/06/2017 18:10

Slight amendment here, first night Rosso + P, also Bill & Robina are staying in different accommodation which is ok with the K9's, so I've cancelled one two of the doubles at the Royal Hotel Thurso. (ref: M/D, Royal Hotel)

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 23/06/2017 21:08

thanks Simon top job on all that organising.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/06/2017 08:37

Hi Simon, a bit previous I know. Are you going to be stopping off anywhere near Inverness? I could catch up with you anywhere really. I could even wait along the A9 North, I'm sure I'd be able to recognise those Fiat cars wink

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/06/2017 08:48

Jim, there's a good chance we'll be stopping off to refuel at the Shell garage near Raigmore
here

If you have a PMR device, great - or a text will work near the time smile

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/06/2017 09:26

Bloody hell laugh I was struggling there for a wee while, what the hell is a PMR laugh I did look it up. Physical medical rehabilitation. shocked Nah it's no that. Private mobile radio.. phone I'll have one Simon, thanks to my Son in law. Yep I know that petrol station very well. So not really that long to go. I will see you Southerners there. Channel seven I believe?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/06/2017 09:28

Fast worker Jim, spot on!

Not long indeed, just Spain and back to go after end of term now hippy

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/06/2017 09:46

You are indeed a busy man Simon. You have indeed done the right thing. smile

I to have to get moving more..... rotate

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/06/2017 09:47

jargon, eh..?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/06/2017 10:01

jargon, eh..?

Ah, was wondering how long it would take you to be lured on here laugh

Incidentally, with the happy coincidence that my daughter has just started a printing business the windscreen stickers I can report are now well on their way cool

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/06/2017 11:22

'lured...'

like some kind of beast...?

i don't see any mention of promotional stickers for car tours on the website?!

Maybe they should have a link back to us..?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 06/07/2017 20:54

Well,

Three weeks tonight...

We will be... [ ]

(Fill in, as appropriate)

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 06/07/2017 21:22

I'm on holiday from tomorrow right to the end of the month... laugh

I will be well relaxed by the time of our tour.... driving

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 07/07/2017 08:09

Has there been any plans made for food stops?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 07/07/2017 11:17

Has there been any plans made for food stops?

Good shout Brian, that is indeed part of the tour, I mean we have to keep up our strength have we not.... yum

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 07/07/2017 12:08

dog-food, you mean..?

funny you should mention that...

in a word, 'no'

But i had mentioned to my 'Number 2', who drives a yellow car, with a black roof, that we should produce 'day-cards' which have a overarching route plan, and key details which might feature in stops.

Once he returns from a 2CV-spotting holiday in Spain (you think I'm kidding, don't you?), we shall task-up to produce results!

Local knowledge, or tips, from the attending team will of course be gratefully received ahead of this task.

shout"come in Number 2!?"

In the meantime, technology prevents me from showing you the finished 'Tour 17 stickers, which are a little bigger than last year...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 08/07/2017 23:31

Sadly I was unable to fit in with the plan for this tour frown

But I am looking to make my way up anyway, with some friends. We're looking to get up from the 24th to 28th and I'm currently looking to take the Coupé along.

Current Rough Route Plan

Is your plan below still where you expect to be on those days?

Projected itinerary

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 11/07/2017 01:16

We should be in Thurso and at the hotel about 17.00 What time do you think the rest of you will arrive?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 11/07/2017 01:25

Just found this : Good news and maybe bad news. Looking for places to eat for all of us in Thurso. This is a review for the Y- Not bar and Bistro on Trip Advisor.
The y-not is ranked no 1 in Thurso

"We stopped here for an evening meal as our hotel (royal hotel) looked grubby.
We had a nice surprise as we walked in . The restaurant was lively and vibrant with helpful bar and waiting staff. We both had the venison with haggis .

Grubby!!!! I think I might buy a dog so I can join Brian and Pauline

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 11/07/2017 07:02

I used to frequent thurso some years ago, and to be honest I found the Royal Hotel a bit run down. The eateries were not that salubrious,perhaps things have changed, but hey ho with good company & the craic, I'm sure we will be fine. smile

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 14/07/2017 14:33

How exciting!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 15/07/2017 06:27

It's all very quiet on this thread at mo. Are we all holding our breath and counting no of sleeps?

Be nice to have the schedule and route confirmed in one place so it can be printed off in advance if possible

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 15/07/2017 10:56

It's all quiet Dianne, as Squadron Leader has been away on holiday.

(As have I in fact)

But as we are both back today (separately) I expect there will be movement soon.

It may have been 'quiet' on the thread, but in excess of 17 thousand views denotes significant interest!

Even if we haven't been away yet!

Personally- I am thinking about route cards, a cleanup on the car before the trip, and the completion of my hands-free 2-way radio mod. The radio itself has now been mod'ed, I just need to add some stuff to the car...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 15/07/2017 12:51

Just a quick question regarding radios. Is this something that's sensible to have, and if so any recommendations?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 15/07/2017 14:06

I just need to add some stuff to the car...

Rear spoiler and go-faster stripes perhaps? tongue

Just back indeed and will post soon answering all Q's smile

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 15/07/2017 14:08

Just a quick question regarding radios. Is this something that's sensible to have, and if so any recommendations?

Most of us have them, very useful when in convoy.

Binatones are quite popular - I use the Terrain 750 and Rosso I think the 950....

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 15/07/2017 21:47

It's all quiet Dianne, as Squadron Leader has been away on holiday.

Personally- I am thinking about route cards, a cleanup on the car before the trip, and the completion of my hands-free 2-way radio mod. The radio itself has now been mod'ed, I just need to add some stuff to the car...

That's a bit posh, hand free 2-way radio!! Is it voice activated? I have had both door handles replaced so no more sad pitted aluminium showing. Went through MOT no problem but my mechanic says it needs a bit of work when I get back from tour. Radiator support bracket/panel and rear springs getting a bit corroded as is the exhaust. Orkney atmosphere I'm afraid. Considering I've not had to have anything done like that before can't complain. Paul and I have two way radios, really for when we are on the boat but hopefully we can synchs channels. Route cards are a great idea. Over and out!!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 15/07/2017 21:52

[quote=Edinburgh][quote=dante giacosa] I

Just back indeed and will post soon answering all Qs

Welcome back Simon, hope you had a good time x

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 17/07/2017 09:51

Hey Dianne- I sent you a text; have you still got the same number..?

No- it's not voice activated; the term 'hands free' was perhaps a bit imaginative; I've broken out the Push To Talk switch, power input, and speaker output to a connector, so I can mount the radio on the windscreen high up, behind the rear view mirror.

I can then plug it 'into' the car and mount a P.T.T. switch on the steering column (or something like that) so I can offer advice when we are in carparks without taking my hands completely off the wheel...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 18/07/2017 12:49

Brian, what's your preferred route from you to House of Bruar, via FRB or via Stirling?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 18/07/2017 20:24

We will catch you at the FRB. I pass it on to Bill & Rubina. What time are we thinking to set off from there?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 18/07/2017 21:03

Ok Brian that's fine...I'll post a more detailed timescale very soon.

I'm thinking along the lines of leaving FRB (brief rendezvous around 0940, coffee stop House of Bruar 1100, Inverness Shell station 1300......

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 19/07/2017 06:35

Hmmm. 1300 at the Shell station might be a challenge. We have some Italian friends staying who are flying back to Italy on the 27th at 1100 from Aberdeen. Might have to drop them off at the airport a bit earlier than planned.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 19/07/2017 06:45

I will be waiting for you Southerners at the garage. I may have parked my chosen weapon behind the Fluke pub where Simon has suggested a food stop..... yum

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 19/07/2017 07:42

Hmmm. 1300 at the Shell station might be a challenge. We have some Italian friends staying who are flying back to Italy on the 27th at 1100 from Aberdeen. Might have to drop them off at the airport a bit earlier than planned.

Les don't worry as it's likely we'll be lunching at the Fluke

Fluke Inn

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 19/07/2017 11:29

any more hints, Jim- I can't stand the tension!?

How many cylinders..?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 19/07/2017 11:34

any more hints, Jim- I can't stand the tension!?

How many cylinders wheels..?

Amended that for you Mr G smile

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 19/07/2017 16:36

"oh, really....?"

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 19/07/2017 20:21

click to enlarge

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 19/07/2017 20:37

Ok folks normally I'd post a photo of our detailed itinerary on here but with the problem of photobucket hosting I'm proposing to email everyone with it attached so you can print it off.

Is everyone ok with me displaying each other's email addresses?

Also I'd like to include a contact phone number allied to each car registration - again, has anyone any objection?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/07/2017 05:46

Ok folks normally I'd post a photo of our detailed itinerary on here but with the problem of photobucket hosting I'm proposing to email everyone with it attached so you can print it off.

Is everyone ok with me displaying each other's email addresses?

Also I'd like to include a contact phone number allied to each car registration - again, has anyone any objection?

No problem for me. Thanks Simon

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/07/2017 06:15

Fine with me.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/07/2017 10:43

Route maps:

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/07/2017 11:05

no problemo...

a week today!!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/07/2017 12:37

I’m sure this news is coming too late for you, but if your routes take you near Glasgow on the morning of Sunday 30th, you could stop by the SECC for Tartan Tarmac’s breakfast meet. It’s a pre-Ignition Festival special, hence the venue. We usually get 300+ cars, even on a quieter month.

Facebook event link

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/07/2017 12:53

Thanks for the heads-up - it might have been a go-er but leaving Spean Bridge in the morning could be pushing it!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 20/07/2017 13:16

Ah well, worth a mention.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 21/07/2017 21:14

I'm investigating a group buy of midge hat nets for us southerners.....just a reminder they'll be needed!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 21/07/2017 23:26

I plan to sit in my coop with the air con on. That should keep the zanzare away.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 22/07/2017 11:16

Well!!! thats me out of hospital again, I will still be there & will tell the tale. Been a bit of an episode but I'm still here, see you all soon..... driving

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 22/07/2017 12:49

Well!!! thats me out of hospital again, I will still be there & will tell the tale. Been a bit of an episode but I'm still here, see you all soon..... driving

Again Jim shocked A follow-up check ?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 22/07/2017 14:08

No Simon, a bit more serious, I don't want to say on here, I'll reveal all at the Fluke Inn.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 22/07/2017 14:32

Well you take care Jim, look forward to meeting up again.....you have an email by the way.....

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 22/07/2017 16:59

great work on the the day cards chaps. can we make a small request? photoshoot at Unapool Bridge also?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 22/07/2017 17:11

Noted!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 22/07/2017 17:21

Talking of day-cards, I have just realised we have made an omission, which is just a 'heads up' really about a possible diversion.

On Day 2, we leave Thurso going West across the top coast on the A836.

I read in a paper from up-North recently, that the Police have been granted powers to close a nine mile section of the A836 between Dounreay & Scrabster, to allow 'shipments' to be transported.

An alternative route via Shebster & Westfield is signposted during these closures.

This could happen at any time (between 08:00 & 06:00) but we would have to be very unlucky for it to happen next Friday at exactly the point we drive it.

However, it remains a remote possibility, and as such I wouldn't like it to be a total shock, for those unfamilliar with that part of the country...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 22/07/2017 17:26

, and as such I wouldn't like it to be a total shock, for those unfamilliar with that part of the country...

shocked

coat

suicide

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 22/07/2017 17:28

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 22/07/2017 17:35

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 22/07/2017 22:43

Is that the Kylesku bridge, Brian..?

The curving concrete one with the legs (oddly enough)!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 23/07/2017 02:30

Is that the Kylesku bridge, Brian..?

The curving concrete one with the legs (oddly enough)!

Aye that's the one Jim, I suggested this earlier, a very good photo stop..... yes

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 23/07/2017 04:41

That's the one but I'm guessing we're passing over it anyways

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 23/07/2017 07:34

Yes, it's true-

I think we had initially looked at an accomodation stop just beneath it; there's quite a nice hotel on the shore.

However, I think after we looked into it, it was a bit 'too nice'!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 23/07/2017 20:16

Evening everyone. Unfortunately I'm going to have to pull out of the tour. The person we had lined up to look after our kids can no longer do so for personal reasons. To say I'm gutted is an understatement. The wife and I are racking our brains for a solution but nothing springs to mind. Everyone is either working or on hols.

I'm away to have a wee Tourette's moment.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 23/07/2017 21:36

Evening everyone. Unfortunately I'm going to have to pull out of the tour. The person we had lined up to look after our kids can no longer do so for personal reasons. To say I'm gutted is an understatement. The wife and I are racking our brains for a solution but nothing springs to mind. Everyone is either working or on hols.

I'm away to have a wee Tourette's moment.

Gosh, really sorry for this....however I'll do my best to keep the accommodation as long as possible - just in case smile

Would you consider joining us (with kids) for lunch at the Fluke and tagging along for a wee run - either before or after Inverness?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 24/07/2017 10:04

I'm investigating a group buy of midge hat nets for us southerners.....just a reminder they'll be needed!

A swarm of nets ordered this morning...hopefully they'll arrive by Wednesday bandit

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 24/07/2017 12:40

Weather up here has been mixed. Sun one day then a bit gloomy the next. There seems to be a breeze all the time so I've never encountered the midge actually from the last tour. Then again the West will be a different story if the weather smiles on us. Happy days...... driving

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 24/07/2017 13:38

Hey Jim- any indication of how many cylinders you will be greeting us with...?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 24/07/2017 15:38

Well! I'm not quite firing on all my cylinders & I will have to watch what I'm doing, my vehicle hopefully will be fine... driving .

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/07/2017 09:31

alrightee!

everyone involved should have received a link to our communal Google-Drive for the 'Tour, and the password to manipulate it also.

If everyone is in agreement; we shall share the link here, so that those following the thread can see pictures as they are uploaded.

With my I.T. knowledge; that's the best I can do; if anyone has a better course of action- please step forward!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/07/2017 09:53

I don't know what to do!!! hippy Things need to be spelt out to me, especially at the moment..... hurl

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/07/2017 10:39

Ah- well maybe it'll have to wait until Thursday then, Jim

I have subsequently sent everyone another email called

'shareable link' which will allow access to the drive without the need to sign in.

apologies for the confusion.

sending you a PM now, Jim...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/07/2017 12:31

Cheers Jim. OK, any ice cream lovers, Capaldis Brora worth a stop for some home made, choose your flavour or several.... laugh yum

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/07/2017 12:39

ooh!

will they do me a Snickers-ice-cream..?

(sorry)

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/07/2017 15:18

Seems like my fettling is being watched....

click to enlarge

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/07/2017 15:25

need to get one of those electric tennis racket things...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/07/2017 15:29

And it seems there is a mystery undercover participant, to be revealed on Thursday perhaps.....

click to enlarge

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/07/2017 16:14

Sadly skeandubh is quite definitely unable to participate this time round frown

I'll contact the various accommodations....

Hope you can join in on a future occasion Les thumb

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 25/07/2017 17:17

All accommodations informed/confirmed and amended smile

Edit: with the exception of Inverour Guest House who have a 7-day cancellation policy but won't charge if the room is resold - at this time of year there's a good chance.......

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/07/2017 08:48

Midge nets arrived - remember to bring a hat bandit

I've got two spare.....

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/07/2017 08:59

can you drive, whilst wearing the net..?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/07/2017 09:10

can you drive, whilst wearing the net..?

Well yes, but the look isn't complete without the Smith & Wesson.....

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/07/2017 09:14

maybe we could go for cowboy-themed radio-handles, as a stand-in..?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/07/2017 09:42

Judging by the weather here at the moment, the midge will drown before they bother anyone... laugh Wish I'd brought my brolly springs to mind....

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/07/2017 10:01

maybe we could go for cowboy-themed radio-handles, as a stand-in..?

This ain't no cattle-drive dude, we don't want no bum steer on this highway!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/07/2017 10:03

That's how it started (for me) last year-

took a recreational-aside to Cairngorm on the way up; couldn't even get out of the car!

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/07/2017 12:53

Well! it's just about stopped raining here, tomorrow's not going to be much better..... frown

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/07/2017 13:03

Yep the next few days is looking pretty hit and miss...I might bring wellies!
Posted By: DaveG

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/07/2017 13:06

It wouldn't be the North of Scotland otherwise...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/07/2017 13:33

Aye! Tell you what though,it's very lush & green here, oh! the sun is coming out for a wee while.. laugh

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/07/2017 15:22

Edit: with the exception of Inverour Guest House who have a 7-day cancellation policy but won't charge if the room is resold - at this time of year there's a good chance.......

Just let me know if there are any costs so I can reimburse if necessary.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 26/07/2017 15:28

Thanks for the offer Les, let's give it a short time more.....

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/07/2017 02:51

here we go-

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0Rex-iNdAD_SGJkdGdvRWRPS1k

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/07/2017 04:17

Jim I count 10 itineraries... do we have one or two extra coupes coming along?

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/07/2017 07:03

Haha! Sharp eyes!

No, not at all, Brian- I just like to account for contingencies.

I'm sure we'll have a few spare afterwards.

OR, if we pick up friends on the way....

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 27/07/2017 10:23

Weather sunny here, I'm just about to set off & meet the troops at the Fluke Inn for some scoff, about 1/2hr from me on a good day. So here's to the NC500 2017...... driving

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 28/07/2017 20:10

Just let me know if there are any costs so I can reimburse if necessary.

Les unfortunately neither place was able to rebook the unused room (up to this moment in time anyway) so I've cancelled the cheapest, at Aonach Mor, which was £70.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 29/07/2017 07:18

No probs. if it's not too cheeky, is it possible for someone to cover the costs and i will reimburse them.

I bet your all haveong a fantastic time. I'm away to climb Bennachie with a mate of mine. However i know what i would rather be doing driving driving driving beer party

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 29/07/2017 07:36

No probs. if it's not too cheeky, is it possible for someone to cover the costs and i will reimburse them.

I bet your all haveong a fantastic time. I'm away to climb Bennachie with a mate of mine. However i know what i would rather be doing driving driving driving beer party

Yep, no problem Les.

Click on the google drive link a few posts above this for some pics cool

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 30/07/2017 09:17

Well, home before 11am, a very involved drive along Loch Ness in the MX 5, amazing in the twisty bits driving . Great to meet everyone & I really think we all took something from this trip. Weather could have a bit drier, but hey ho there were some sunny spells. I had the top down once or twice. Thanks again to everyone..... thumb

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 30/07/2017 15:00

You are right, Jim; 'mirror, signal, manoeuvre'!

Glad to hear you got back safe- here's a quick bump on the picture link.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0Rex-iNdAD_SGJkdGdvRWRPS1k

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 31/07/2017 05:52

Aye, had time to look & study the photo's, some good shots, can't believe we did that route round Scotland. I landed up doing 500 miles, the rest of you did a lot more. Seems like a distant memory now how odd.

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 31/07/2017 06:12

Great pictures, looked like you had fun smile

I was gutted not to have been able to be part of this trip with you all but unfortunately I could not get Sunday off.

Our trip was fun though, even there were only two cars, a new Golf GTi and a TT Roadster, I took the Audi instead of the Coupé blush

We arrived in Scotland Monday. Driving up through England we had rain all the way to Berwick where we had clear blue skies. We left the A1, dropped the roof and took the coastal route in to Edinburgh and then on to Perth. Day two was also sunny as we headed up through the Cairngorms and on to our destination in Invergordon. Day 3 started fine but bad weather was forecast so he didn't head North. We headed instead for Garve, then on to Applecross before heading south to Connel for the night. On Thursday we were going to head south on the West coast but the weather suggested the East would be better, and it wasn't wrong. We headed back to Perth and then south, back into England. We popped into the Jim Clark room and then took the A68 back down into England, seeking Hadrians Wall.

A total of 1550 miles in four days, lots of pictures (Some on Facebook) and some stunning drone footage too (Video to follow).

I enjoyed it so much that Me and Mrs BB are planning to come back up in September for a more leisurely trip.

Bob

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 01/08/2017 13:22

Phew!

back-to-work. And back to reality.

742 miles for me (I'm not sure how much oil!) and, if I think about it; some fairly amazing things were seen during that stretch. One of these days; I must plan a stop in Sutherland to really take it all in!

a big THANKYOU to everyone who found the time & resources to attend. It is true- we had rain; but as the pictures reveal; we were only caught out-of-the-cars in it, two or three times I think..

Some logistical hiccups took place- for which I can only apologise; we are still in our infancy of organising such events, and we did leave it quite late on the accommodation front to get a reliable result across the trip.

I will however definitely be staying in that place in Ullapool again!

anyway- it would have been nothing without your presence, so for those who now have the car sticker- 'I salute you'!

(and all other Coupe drivers generally...)

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 01/08/2017 15:41

Indeed, in agreement with the above.

For my own part having the hitherto hidden parts of the north and west revealed in their craggy and glowerin' splendour was an endless delight and the privilege to drive it with the "gang" in pretty much all coupes unforgettable. It's astonishing how this elite club brings people together time after time - but in the public eye, as they gawp seeing one after the other in convoy, the stars are the cars smile

Untold thanks to DG for being the other half of team organisation - even so there are positive things to learn for a future trip and some accommodation to return to....and some not! Also for masterminding the thankfully few running repairs - Paul's wiper linkage and my heater fans after returning.

I picked up a stone chip at the edge of the screen on the last day which immediately spread 5" - I've claimed on insurance and apparently the provider has ONE in stock so it's being done on Thursday cool

Les, I'll PM you re the accommodation costs for the last night....sorry you weren't able to make this one but watch this section's space smile

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 01/08/2017 19:47

Well done all on your mega 2017 tour driving. thumb

I was enviously viewing the last few days of your pre-trip preparations and imagining that i could just join you all at last minute. Alas I'm fully interned at the Lyceum building, rigging and tech-ing their forthcoming Edinburgh Festival production and only just got back last week from 3 weeks holiday, so there was no way I could have.. Maybe next year ! Toying with doing it(NC 500) in September over 5-6 days so will be asking for tips from you all if I do.

Liking the pics and looking forward to more !

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 01/08/2017 20:54

Originally Posted By Lego
Well done all on your mega 2017 tour driving. thumb

I was enviously viewing the last few days of your pre-trip preparations and imagining that i could just join you all at last minute. Alas I'm fully interned at the Lyceum building, rigging and tech-ing their forthcoming Edinburgh Festival production and only just got back last week from 3 weeks holiday, so there was no way I could have.. Maybe next year ! Toying with doing it(NC 500) in September over 5-6 days so will be asking for tips from you all if I do.

Liking the pics and looking forward to more !

Holy resurrection laugh

Yes can give you some tips on where (and where not) to stay laugh
But the choice will be greater then and maybe even better prices.

See if your super-busy schedule will allow you a coffee break.....

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 01/08/2017 20:58

Hey Marko-

Thanks for that!

I'd like to think we could all meet up sooner than later, perhaps at a 'late summer' rendezvous in the next six weeks some time.

Schedules permitting of course...

Re: 2017 North Scotland tour... - 03/08/2017 12:40

Just to add my thanks to Jim and Simon for all the organising and "herding of cats". Highlights of the trip, the drives in convoy, the company of coupe drivers, their friends and family, the fabulous scenery.

Even in the rain, Scotland must be one of the most beautiful places in the world. Amazing roads to drive, I can't remember the road down to Plockton being so narrow, so that was interesting with the sides of the road washed out and oncoming drivers that didn't seem to know the width of their cars or who just put their hands over their eyes and screamed when they met something. Mind you, I felt like screaming when I saw Paul's back tyres overhanging the edge with about inch left in the road.

It is important to remember that it is a bikers paradise too, so mirror, signal, mirror, manoeuvre, mirror. You can't check too often, there can be a lot going on especially if it's raining and misty.

Interesting sight on our return north. A huge coach had tried to turn into the Loch Ness shopping area and had grounded the back section. It was well and truly stuck, managed to get past but no idea how they were going to recover it.

My coupe is now resting in the garage having a little bit of restoration thanks to Stronsay's salty air, nothing serious and a new part on the exhaust

Really sorry you couldn't make it Marko, perhaps next time? Let's hope we grow the numbers for next year, I certainly recommend the tour, it is a terrific thing to do.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK