Fiat Coupe Club UK

2018 Orkney tour

Posted By: driley

2018 Orkney tour - 18/11/2017 09:35

Hi everyone,
Last time we were all together, we spoke about the next tour being in Orkney and possibly September. Just wanted to let you know that accommodation for us and the cars is not easy to come by. The islands are extremely popular as you can imagine, and if the general consensus is to go ahead we need to book pretty soon . A general enquiry reveals that there is heavy booking for September 2018 already.

It would be great if we could all stay in the same location and Kim and I have looked at http://www.atlantislodges.com/. They have 8 doubles and 5 twins with a 10% discount for group in September at the moment. They do come recommended.

If we were to stay one night on Stronsay, it would be the Stronsay Hotel or the Storehouse B&B which also has self catering apartments attached. These are in easy walking distance of each other.

This is just to let everyone know and to get their opinions about accommodation. Obviously Simon and Jim will be in the driving seat leading the way in more ways than one as usual.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 18/11/2017 16:11

Terrific Dianne, yes definitely up for whatever deals you can get.

Best start dates for me are Thursday 30th August or Thursday 6th Sept. but will obviously go with the flow smile
Posted By: dante giacosa

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 18/11/2017 23:05

How exciting!

Thanks for looking into this Dianne!

Maybe we should start with a show of hands, and an indication of how many nights folk are up for..?

(Previously of course, we have done two adventures, of three nights- for those thinking of joining us)

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 19/11/2017 00:43

An Orkney tour will possibly need an extra night, as those coming from south may need a night on Mainland Scotland before catching ferry across the Pentland Firth.

Just thoughts, Probably two nights on Mainland Orkney, driving to take in the amazing views, archeology etc. Maybe a tour of Highland Park or Scapa distillery? Lots of stunning photo opportunities. Maybe if we are lucky, the Northern lights, ( seen several times in the last couple of weeks )1 night on Stronsay would be brilliant if everyone agreed, fabulous beaches, famous sea arch, lots of seals, great food and of course home to the most northerly U.K. coupe. I would certainly hope to get us local press coverage from BBC Radio Orkney and local paper. The coupes driving off Orkney Ferries at Stronsay would be a newsworthy item and a pretty picture.

The 6th Sept onwards works for me.

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 19/11/2017 08:33

In your experience Dianne is the ferry timetable fairly rigid from Scrabster in that it's not geared to people driving up from the central belt at a civilised time of day?

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 19/11/2017 18:56

Both ferry companies do an evening sailing suitable for central belt folk, With NorthLink Ferries, there is a sailing from Scrabster to Stromness at 19.00 Arriving Orkney about 20.30. Goes quite close past Old Man of Hoy. Pentland Ferries sails at 18.45 this is a large catamaran taking a different route so the journey is 1 hour that’s from Gill’s Bay to St Margaret’s Hope. The quickest way with a car. So certainly a good couple of options.

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 19/11/2017 20:04

At £12-odd (vehicle only) for Scrabster-Stromness the evening sail option sounds like the favourite compared with £38 for the hovercraft.....

Edit: sorry this info is incorrect, taken from 2017 timetable info

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 19/11/2017 20:59

Er, I don't think it's £12... (?!)

It's usually 'a bit more' for a round trip, I have found...

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 19/11/2017 21:26

Yes it's true, I looked at the 2017 tariffs by mistake and it gave that tiny fare under "vehicles"!

I stand corrected - therefore it may well be cheaper by hovercraft.... Catamaran!

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 19/11/2017 21:58

Dianne, I see the Atlantis Lodges are self-catering, so presumably the shop nearby has standard comestibles....or we do a supermarket shop before the ferry and divvy up teabags etc laugh

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 20/11/2017 08:33

The Tesco's in Kirkwall is bigger than anything in Scrabster-

we'd be better to shop on the island I think...

(IMHO, not that my name is Dianne)

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 20/11/2017 16:01

Wow, you guys are really getting into the details. As Jim says we can get anything needed from the grand choice of three supermarkets in Kirkwall. As it may be a late arrival for most I can put together welcome packs of all the staples for each apartment, no problem.

Not heard from anyone else yet, Are you out there?????

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 23/11/2017 22:36

Ok team-

here is the itinerary!

Click on this, as expertly assembled by our Stronsay-office.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_ChFgVQYg7MmpC-JoVIBmlYiQsn_tTha

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 24/11/2017 13:42

Originally Posted By dante giacosa
Ok team-

here is the itinerary!

Click on this, as expertly assembled by our Stronsay-office.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_ChFgVQYg7MmpC-JoVIBmlYiQsn_tTha

Here is the intermediary stop referred to in the itinerary - Dunrobin Castle, Golspie

click to enlarge

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 30/11/2017 22:26

I know it seems a long time away, but Orkney is a really special place and accommodation gets fully booked months in advance. If we want to be all together, please look at itinerary and let’s get agreement on dates so we can book the lodges. Suggested dates 6 th to 10 th Sept. 2018

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 04/12/2017 07:47

Bill & Robina very interested in this!

Doubtful that Brian & P will though.....
Posted By: barnacle

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 04/12/2017 17:42

We considered it - we'd love to come - but our situation is so confused at the moment we daren't commit.

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 04/12/2017 19:29

Sorry to hear that. With the trip, the main thing is to get the accommodation booked as much as possible as September is still a popular tourist month. It is a long way ahead so if things settle down for you, it would be great if you could join us.

Re: 2018 Orkney tour - 04/12/2017 19:32

Good news re Bill and Robina, Shame if Brian and Pauline can’t make it.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK