» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Golfpro, Jono, barchetta_ms, 1 invisible), 255 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,426
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,520
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,294
PeteP 21,480
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,660
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Speed Red LE no1097 - project thread #1516787
26/11/2014 20:36
26/11/2014 20:36
yorks
dibbers Offline OP
Making a profit
dibbers  Offline OP
Making a profit

yorks
As some of you may have noticed, the above car was in the classifieds on here just recently. I saw it and, after a rush of blood for a red coupe, i took a brave pill with a deep breath, and made an offer to buy it blind.

and thus 10 days later it arrived by flatbed. albeit this was through choice and economics, as it was simply easier to have it recovered than take a cross-country gamble. i have done that before with a TR7 from brighton to leeds, but thats one for the "other cars" section...

So - onto LE1097. By the advert's admission, the bodywork and paintwork needs attention - faded, patchy and dented in places. other areas to attend include the belts, the general mechanics - and the underbody condition, given that the car has stood for a period.

It may or may not be a goer but life is full of ups and downs!

Over the coming months, I intend to make this car a faithful representation of how it would have been back in 1999. I am yet ot look over it properly yet, it arrived sunday and was taken off of the trailer - and has sat on the drive since. Once my Moon Grey coupe sells (present on eBay and classifieds if interested...) then this will migrate into the garage and work can begin.

until the weekend, heres a taster pic of her leaving the last owner...
click to enlarge

Last edited by barnacle; 27/11/2014 10:49. Reason: Sorted your image. Quote to see what I did.

Vinci LE189 / Barchetta LE923 (for sale)
Re: Speed Red LE no1097 - project thread [Re: dibbers] #1517288
01/12/2014 23:04
01/12/2014 23:04
yorks
dibbers Offline OP
Making a profit
dibbers  Offline OP
Making a profit

yorks
after a trip to taunton and back, the Moonie has been sold to a new owner (whom i hope comes on to introduce himself shortly). this all means that the LE has now made it into the warmth and dryness of my garage.

i have had my first couple of hours tonight, and generally, the cosmetics are not as bad as assumed.

paint is coarse in a few horizontal places, (bonnet and bootlid notably), a gritty feel almost like red sandpaper - never seen this before and probably need some professional advice on it as to what / why / how. the other areas that have faded look like they can be recovered via a compound polish. couple of keying marks to try and lose, and a chip of missing paint on the drivers door to touch in as best as possible (once paint code is confirmed).

generally, the interior is a little neglected but again, after a valet / clean / leather feed, should all come through. i have the usual clock / heater / dash / speaker ring set to add, as well as alloy gear surround. the centre console looks beyond help, so it is either a replacement or possibly a project with nailpolish (have been reading on here!).

there are some minor bits of broken plastic trim to replace, i'll be scouring the breaking ads for sure!

tomorrow i am planning to remove the rear "doorcards" to see what lies beyond, and whilst in there, will get the multichanger cables swapped from aftermarket back to clarion original.

underbonnet looks a little untidy - usual rocker peel and strutbrace grime (the two pieces of usual 'bling'). i must say that the battery area looks like a snakes wedding with all of the wires, presuming this to be the relay mod re: LE warm starting?

intend to take a (gentle) drive at the weekend to evaluate steering, engine, brakes and general mechanics. battery either needs replacing or a good charge - not enough to turn over at present.

once mobile we shall see what lies underneath...

(sorry for the textual post, some pictures to follow at weekend, we all love pictures don't we?!).

Re: Speed Red LE no1097 - project thread [Re: dibbers] #1517289
01/12/2014 23:10
01/12/2014 23:10
yorks
dibbers Offline OP
Making a profit
dibbers  Offline OP
Making a profit

yorks
forgot to add - quick-win mods for the weekend also include;

dewiper / bung the rear,

fit reverse lens / red bulb to offside rear - simply for symmetry!

tidy up the molten rear bumper around tailpipe (replacement bumper plus zender lip on order),

detail / clean mould from all glass rubbers,

obligatory blacken of tyres before photos!

Re: Speed Red LE no1097 - project thread [Re: dibbers] #1521448
12/01/2015 23:10
12/01/2015 23:10
yorks
dibbers Offline OP
Making a profit
dibbers  Offline OP
Making a profit

yorks
as per my earlier post, the simple jobs of removing rear wiper and adding a second clear lens (with red bulb) are always my two essential mods for a coupe and something i've done with all mine. these were ticked off immediately!

click to enlarge

pictures are after the car has had a wash, claying and waxing. they actually make the car look quite presentable, though don't show what looks like new paint on the drivers door and then faded in (badly) to the front and rear quarters. this shows most at the junction between bonnet / door / a pillar.

click to enlarge

ironically, it is this door that looks closest to original speed red, so i can only surmise that the car has once had an all over repsray (to a darker red), then the door has been done in original colour - speed red - at a later date. nothing major and will be corrected once the car goes for an all over later in 2015/16. it could be that the clusters of spots / 'acne' that affect parts of the bonnet and boot are perhaps evidence of a poor (cold / wet condition) respray earlier in its life?

some overspray on rubbers - cleaned off. poor masking around a rear reflector, and "red" numberplate foam pads all suggest a paintjob at some point in the past. no biggie, as the car was a) cheap and b) has been on the road for years / thousands of miles, therefore is bound to have been at risk!

major damage evident - a dent on the nearside corner of the bonnet, pin dent on the rear nearside c pillar, and a gouge in the offside rear quarter. however all should be an easy fill / colour as part of the eventual complete respray.

click to enlarge

the only conundrum i have on course of action is the condition of the rear valance - it has been burnt / melted at some point, so i can either get busy with the filler, replace the bumper - or fit a (non-purist) rear - the autodbs one really appeals, along with twin pipes and a beige shore diffuser. need to consider this one deep, as it naturally loses the originality of the car.

click to enlarge

inside, the leather has cleaned very well - no photos yet, as i want to clean the belts and replace the centre console. as per the image, this is simply the stickiest one i've ever seen in a coupe. going to be aggressive and try nailpolish, wire wool, compound and wax on this - will let you know how we get on! i have spares incase it goes wrong...

click to enlarge

so, all in all, quite pleased with the overall external condition of this car, as i bought blind from the honest advert and actually thought it was going to be much worse than it has cleaned up to!

as detailed above, the paint does need attention at some point, but cosmetically, the car looks very presentable and honest at a first glance / initial inspection. i hope you like the first update!

------

can't wait to drive it - as discussed elsewhere, although it is starting to look prettier, it still doesnt fire! i think it is fuelpump related but thanks to hovedan i have a like-for-like to sort. and then belts, fluids, le button mod, etc etc...

Re: Speed Red LE no1097 - project thread [Re: dibbers] #1521451
12/01/2015 23:13
12/01/2015 23:13
yorks
dibbers Offline OP
Making a profit
dibbers  Offline OP
Making a profit

yorks
oh, and in addition to the rear bumper / exhuast setup, here's a couple of other thoughts for opinion, original Vs subtle modification;

- lower car during suspension refresh?

- change front grill to a plus / VT6 honeycomb one, in beige shore / le grey?