» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Edinburgh), 314 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,430
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,520
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,294
PeteP 21,482
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,660
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Life's hard enough without scammers. #1619659
29/04/2018 19:44
29/04/2018 19:44
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline OP
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline OP
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
MrsC and I are working pretty hard to make a success of our Smart repair franchise. Others I'm sure work harder, but we are doing our best and it's gratifying to see things slowly going our way.
So, it's pretty disheartening to have to fight off people trying to take our money dishonestly.

We are currently doing quite a bit of advertising in local magazines - carefully chosen for demographic, distribution, etc.
So, when we approached by a salesman working for a yearly magazine being produced in collaboration with the local authority sports facilities, with distribution in schools, doctors' surgeries and other council-run venues, it seemed a very good fit.
The rep then visited us and took our details, showing us a copy of the previous year's magazine. We agreed a quarter page and gave payment details.

Not an hour later, we were phoned by another magazine - this time punting space in a motoring magazine for retired members of the emergency services. At first, it seemed like quite a good idea; we discussed copy, the magazine and its readership at some length and finished up agreeing to view a proof.

But, after the call ended, we both suddenly looked at each other, realising that it was no coincidence.

We googled and rapidly established that the emergency services' magazine was a well-known and pretty sophisticated scam; there is even a fairly convincing website with a "how to check the legitimacy of our sales team" button. We felt gutted - and so foolish. I'm sure plenty of people reading this will be shaking their heads wondering how we could be so gullible, but if you're tired and the product is plausible - it's all too easy. Either the scammers produce nothing or - more perniciously - they print as many copies of the magazine as they have sold adverts. This way you get the glossy product and just end up assuming that for some reason it brought in no business, when in fact nobody else has ever seen it.

Anyway, the company sent us an invoice within minutes (bearing in mind that we had not agreed to anything more than viewing a proof - an invoice?).

MrsC thanked them for their email and informed them that their details had been referred to Trading Standards.

By this stage, we were convinced that the first magazine was also a fake - the rep had had no business cards, the letter of authenticity he had given us suddenly looked photoshopped, etc.

MrsC phoned our bank and cancelled her card, ensuring that no money could be taken (nothing had gone through by that time).

She then contacted the Council manager named as the reference on the supposed letter of introduction. To our astonishment, he told us that the magazine was actually legit!

We just couldn't believe it, to the point that we're now convinced that the scam has simply moved up a level - they've duped the council, not only the individual advertisers.

We're doing more research, so it will be interesting to see what we uncover.

However, all this took up precious time in our already ridiculously busy day. We've had the inconvenience of cancelling a bank card (possibly needlessly) and now potentially face the "police" magazine trying to get heavy with us over their "invoice" (all experiences of others).

We just don't need this.

Here endeth the rant...

Re: Life's hard enough without scammers. [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1619665
29/04/2018 20:32
29/04/2018 20:32
ation
szkom Offline
Club member 2000
szkom  Offline
Club member 2000
Forum is my job

ation
Definitely not gullible. I once went for a summer job selling advertising in media for schools. The outfit looked legit. There was a product, and there was distribution. I was warned off it by my dad who had heard of these types of advertisements where by the value of advertising is nil.

Hope you get it resolved. Like you say, life's hard enough without having to watch your back every step.

Re: Life's hard enough without scammers. [Re: szkom] #1619667
29/04/2018 20:52
29/04/2018 20:52
J
JKD Offline
Forum is my job
JKD  Offline
Forum is my job
J

There's a very fine line between a product/service being crap and being a scam.

Re: Life's hard enough without scammers. [Re: JKD] #1619670
29/04/2018 22:40
29/04/2018 22:40
North Wales
Theresa Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Theresa  Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Forum Fossil

North Wales
Sorry to read this Jim frown

There's always thieves, scammers, scum, idiots etc out there ready to ruin the lives of people who are honest and hard working or just ruin the lives of anyone really as long as they get what they want frown

Re: Life's hard enough without scammers. [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1619779
01/05/2018 19:48
01/05/2018 19:48
Selby
Mansilla Offline
My job on the forum
Mansilla  Offline
My job on the forum

Selby
I've experience of similar outfits in Construction - they will tell subcontractors that the main contractor (their client) has sponsored some content in their fine publication; would you like to have an advert alongside?

Prices are horrendous, circulation is opaque, probability of business as a result minimal to none if the magazine even exists.

In those instances another common play is to ask a Public Sector client for details of all the subcontractors using Freedom of Information Legislation. Hence why if you do put in an FoI, don't be surprised if you get back *exactly* what you asked for. Asked for a list of names? That is exactly what you get, and no more.

However, there are plenty of slightly naive Public Sector clients out there who will inadvertently help these leeches. Its very easy to get taken in.

1. Think of something witty and urbane
2. Imagine it written here
Re: Life's hard enough without scammers. [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1619983
05/05/2018 06:15
05/05/2018 06:15
Portsmouth
A
ali_hire Offline
Forum is my life
ali_hire  Offline
Forum is my life
A

Portsmouth
This is easily done. I’ve done a fair amount of magazine advertising over the years and I generally have a couple of rules;

1. Only advertise in publications you’ve heard of and seen. If you’ve not happened upon the magazine before (had a copy posted through your door, for example) then, legit or not, is it worth going in? If someone is claiming to be starting a new publication and promising fantastic coverage, let others be the guinea pig.

2. Only advertise in publications you think people are actually going to pick up and keep hold of.

I used to advertise in a small A6 booklet published in my area with a company called The Directory Group. It had very good coverage (20,000+) hones abd they were longstanding in the area.

But it ended up being all filler and no killer. The thing was so chock full of adverts that no one read the damned thing and they just ended up in recycling bins.

Have a look at social media advertising, Jim. You can hit a far wider audience, far quicker and for far less money.

Re: Life's hard enough without scammers. [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1620054
06/05/2018 20:51
06/05/2018 20:51
Berkshire
AnnieMac Offline
Enjoying the ride
AnnieMac  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Berkshire
I advertised a painting for sale on Craigslist. I was contacted by a man whose Facebook page said one of his hobbies was art gallery perusing "Walter Williams"). He kept saying he would send a cheque but it never arrived. Eventually a cheque did arrive, for £1,000. I had advertised the painting for only £50. The cheque was a Direct Line cheque and as there was no paperwork with it, I assumed it was for a PPI claim, and I banked it. Then "Walter" contacted me and said the cheque was from him, that the extra funds were for "shipping fees". He then asked me to send money to his "shipping agent". I said he had paid too much and offered to return the cheque. He didn't want it back. I waited for the cheque to clear but it was a fraudulent cheque, and it bounced. I did not lose any money but it is awful being sent a big cheque like that and it turns out to be worthless!

[Linked Image]
Re: Life's hard enough without scammers. [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1620056
07/05/2018 05:59
07/05/2018 05:59
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
An old scam, that one...

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Life's hard enough without scammers. [Re: ali_hire] #1620062
07/05/2018 08:18
07/05/2018 08:18
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline OP
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline OP
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Originally Posted By ali_hire
This is easily done. I’ve done a fair amount of magazine advertising over the years and I generally have a couple of rules;

1. Only advertise in publications you’ve heard of and seen. If you’ve not happened upon the magazine before (had a copy posted through your door, for example) then, legit or not, is it worth going in? If someone is claiming to be starting a new publication and promising fantastic coverage, let others be the guinea pig.

2. Only advertise in publications you think people are actually going to pick up and keep hold of.

I used to advertise in a small A6 booklet published in my area with a company called The Directory Group. It had very good coverage (20,000+) hones abd they were longstanding in the area.

But it ended up being all filler and no killer. The thing was so chock full of adverts that no one read the damned thing and they just ended up in recycling bins.

Have a look at social media advertising, Jim. You can hit a far wider audience, far quicker and for far less money.

Thanks Ali, good advice.

We use a pretty wide portfolio of advertising - social media, banners at sports venues, etc. and (most cost effectively) A5 Parish magazines/directories.
We also have the "benefit" of ChipsAway's national TV ads. The quality of leads these provide is pretty poor, but they are great for brand awareness.

The profile of both the publications we were offered seemed a good fit - as you'd expect from any "decent" scam!

Re: Life's hard enough without scammers. [Re: barnacle] #1620070
07/05/2018 13:34
07/05/2018 13:34
Berkshire
AnnieMac Offline
Enjoying the ride
AnnieMac  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Berkshire
Originally Posted By barnacle
An old scam, that one...

My bank had not heard of it and neither had the police.

[Linked Image]
Re: Life's hard enough without scammers. [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1620071
07/05/2018 15:06
07/05/2018 15:06
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Some years back; it was quite common to give a cheque - often a bankers draft - for some value over the sale with a request to return the excess cash. There would usually be some plausible reason.

Some days later, when you were without both cash and the thing you sold, *then* you discovered the original cheque/draft was fake and terribly bouncy.

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Life's hard enough without scammers. [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1620075
07/05/2018 18:46
07/05/2018 18:46
J
JKD Offline
Forum is my job
JKD  Offline
Forum is my job
J

Jim, is it possible for you to start a YouTube channel?

Where you and your wife talk about going to a customer to fix their car, you then show the process and then the results of your work? Something that gives your service a face? Makes it seem more human/personal? That would lead to better increased awareness, right?

You know how you have Car Cleaning Guru showing how he washes and details cars? https://www.youtube.com/user/CarCleaningGuru

Could you show yourself carrying out your Smart repair process on some cars you do?

All the above with the owners consent of course.

Also, since you used to have that Peter Capaldi in The Thick of It thumbnail you could have lots of inventive and hilarious swearing in it?

Maybe ignore that last bit.

Re: Life's hard enough without scammers. [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1620083
07/05/2018 20:26
07/05/2018 20:26
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline OP
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline OP
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Aww, can't we do the swearing?!
As it happens, we've done a couple of videos, but not one that specifically involves customers. We were recently asked to be part of a trial with check-a-trade, which seems to be going very well. Reviews (whether on Google, Trust Pilot or others) are now a very important driver of leads.