HOW TO: Replace 16v NA thermostat with an inline version.
So 16v na thermostats (along with some other parts) are like hen's teeth.
This meant I started to investigate further - following on from barnacle's previous search and discovery of an option being used on Rover 75's manufactured by www.specialistcomponents.co.uk
(SC) in Wymondham in Norfolk - which is handy being as my Fiat's are garaged near Watton about 10 miles away.
Having had several chats with John from SC we agreed that an 82C stat would work best in the inline unit they manufacture and outlets of 33.5 mm as the top hose has an internal diameter of 35mm.
First things first though is removing the thermostat housing from the engine - which has been covered by an existing "How To" and only takes half an hour or so.
Once off the car we need to remove the stat from inside so as to effect the most chance of water getting to the new inline stat.
Initially I used a screwdriver to turn the stat itself round thus decompressing the springs and releasing tension on the securing posts.
To do this I removed one of the posts used to retain the stat by tapping with a punch and hammer - it comes away very easily but care should be taken as the ally unit is brittle and you don't want to break it by mistake.
Now that the stat is loose - I maneuvered it out of the water ingress slot with ease.
I cleaned everything up and removed everything and refitted it as I would hopefully never have to remove it again.
Now it was time to refit the thermostat housing - done in reverse of the reverse of the existing "How To" all apart from installing the top radiator hose - which I offered up with the inline to check positioning.
This I took to the bench and put on a couple of jubilee clips at the points at which I wanted to cut so that I got a nice straight cut.
With the pipe now in 3 parts I discarded the centre piece and inserted the inline stat and applied two new (supplied) jubilee clips to secure it in place. The large bell housing side should be positioned at the hot side (engine) - there was a picture supplied with the stat housing showing this too.
All that remained was to install the top hose (now with inline stat in place).
And hey presto - all done (bar lots of testing)