» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 167 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,576
Posts1,340,880
Members1,797
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,545
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,299
PeteP 21,510
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,740
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
To Keep or to sell, that is the question? #1622293
24/06/2018 22:14
24/06/2018 22:14
Berkshire
AnnieMac Offline OP
Enjoying the ride
AnnieMac  Offline OP
Enjoying the ride

Berkshire
I am so undecided about my Coupe! I am very disheartened by the state of the paintwork, which seemed to get a lot worse all of a sudden. She looks like she has vitiligo with every panel affected by the dreaded lacquer peel. Then the other day I think I saw a trail of fuel left behind her as I turned into a parking space. A couple of years ago a local garage fitted a new fuel pump and fuel line, they had two goes at it, and a few months later I thought I could sometimes smell a whiff of petrol around the offside rear after a run. I know she also needs a rocker cover gasket, the tracking needs doing, and she is overdue for a cambelt. And I have just found out my monthly income is about to decrease by about £200.

I put the Coupe on eBay, got two low offers which I declined, then took it down because the thought of parting with it was so upsetting.

I have just put it back up again because I know it is the sensible thing to do. I am asking £1,500 or offers, and was offered £900 and then £1,000, by people who had not even been to see the car.

If I park it up on my front lawn it will only deteriorate and then cost a fortune to get it on the road again.

But I am scared to drive it with petrol pissing out, so it's just sitting there in the road looking very unloved because it needs a wash as well.

I might be getting some money in compensation for the dog bite I got at the park, but this can take months. I could get all the current work done that needs doing then, but it probably wouldn't stretch to extra issues which might arise as a result of being parked up on grass for months.

What do you think? Anybody got any creative ideas? The thought of selling it makes me feel quite tearful, especially as my late husband said I should never sell it. But should I bite the bullet and let it go, then possibly buy another Coupe when I get my compensation money, which will apparently be about £3,000? Or should I just accept the fact that I am not really in the income bracket of most folk who run a Coupe and will always struggle with the upkeep, and should forget about ever owning one?

[Linked Image]
Re: To Keep or to sell, that is the question? [Re: AnnieMac] #1622295
24/06/2018 23:25
24/06/2018 23:25
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
andyps Offline
Club member 1482
andyps  Offline
Club member 1482
My job on the forum

Pontefract, West Yorkshire
If I was closer I'd be happy to have a look at the fuel pipes for you but a little far away and the only trip I have to Berkshire coming up is very time restricted unfortunately. I vote that you keep the Coupe though Annie, better to stick with one you know and are aware of what needs doing than buy another that is unknown and could have multiple hidden issues.

Andy

[Linked Image]
Re: To Keep or to sell, that is the question? [Re: AnnieMac] #1622297
25/06/2018 00:41
25/06/2018 00:41
North Wales
Theresa Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Theresa  Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Forum Fossil

North Wales
I also vote yes to keeping your Coupe cool

Considering I am President of this Club, my Coupes have always been in just about roadworthy condition and always ran on a shoestring budget, which isn't great considering it's my every day car laugh

I will be losing £336 in wages/income a month from July from my second job as I'm being made redundant, but I haven't even considered getting rid of my Coupe. You're not out of the income bracket of running a Coupe, it doesn't cost any more than running any other car. I know this differs a bit for you as the Coupe isn't your only/every day car.

My beloved old Coupe kept me on the road for 10 years before the costs of repairs became too much and too extensive and had to come off the road. Rob40 on here was my saviour and bought me another Coupe. I have paid him back for it, but it was bought by him with unconditional love and terms and very much appreciated by me love

I can do a lot of work on the Coupe myself, so that saves me money, but things like your tracking and a rocker cover gasket aren't expensive cool

I really wouldn't worry about the laquer peel on your Coupe. It's only cosmetic and doesn't 'need' to be fixed to keep driving it. My old Coupe suffered badly from this and the current one is the same and although they look a mess close up, I don't care as long as it's still road worthy.

Mine is nowhere near as nice as it should be, nor show quality like a lot of peoples on here are, but as long as I can drive it ever day, I'm not that bothered cool

You wouldn't get too many issues from your Coupe being parked up on your lawn for a few months. Tyres might get some flat spots, battery might die, but other than that, it'll probably be fine.

Your main issue at the moment is getting the fuel leak sorted. It could be something as simple as a leaking fuel filter, which just needs replacing or tightening up cool

I still have my old Coupe sitting on my drive Annie. I've only sold on the more desirable parts, such as some of the bodykit, etc., but if there's anything you needed that would fit your Coupe (mine's a turbo, but a lot of parts would still fit yours), I would be happy to send them to you for free if it means you can keep your Coupe smile

Re: To Keep or to sell, that is the question? [Re: AnnieMac] #1622304
25/06/2018 10:18
25/06/2018 10:18
Berkshire
AnnieMac Offline OP
Enjoying the ride
AnnieMac  Offline OP
Enjoying the ride

Berkshire
I had an eBay message about the Coupe in the middle of the night from somebody local. I facebooked him and he's a Catholic Priest! I suppose they have to get their thrills somehow! And his surname is BATES. Honestly, I'm not making this up!

[Linked Image]
Re: To Keep or to sell, that is the question? [Re: AnnieMac] #1622330
26/06/2018 00:31
26/06/2018 00:31
Berkshire
AnnieMac Offline OP
Enjoying the ride
AnnieMac  Offline OP
Enjoying the ride

Berkshire
And I'm allowed to say this because my folks are Catholic.

[Linked Image]
Re: To Keep or to sell, that is the question? [Re: AnnieMac] #1622414
29/06/2018 10:12
29/06/2018 10:12
Ayrshire
ScouseCoupe Offline
Enjoying the ride
ScouseCoupe  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Ayrshire
Keep it Annie in warm layup. Car cover for the winter. Turnover the engine weekly. Keep it till funds ready.

1999 Rosso Corsa 20VT ( Restored )
2000 Rosso Alfa 916 Spider 2.0 T.S Lusso ( Under Restoration)