» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Morrison, ash_p), 228 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,610
Posts1,341,237
Members1,804
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,563
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,301
PeteP 21,520
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,817
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Genesis Profile install #1101529
14/09/2010 21:34
14/09/2010 21:34

J
jonone
Unregistered
jonone
Unregistered
J

I have spent last week installing a stereo setup that I have had planned for a little while.
My main things was to keep the boot free as i need the space for work tools and to keep the interior looking standard.
This is not a spl monster set up but aimed more at compact sound quality on a reasonable budget,so I have ended up installing a system based on the genesis profile stuff.
I went with a genesis profile 4 channel amp because it fits under the passenger seat and there profile 6x9 subs because they fit in rear quarters, with there profile components up front.

The amp is really neat and nicely finished with separate gain and crossover controls for each channel, it's also reasonably powerful giving 55 "genesis" watts to the components with channels 3 and 4 bridged to give the subs 150 "genesis"watts.

click to enlarge

There p69 subs come in 8ohm and 4 ohm and they quote that there the equivalent to a 10"sub.
I brought the 8ohm pair and wired them in parallel so they receive the same signal and get shown 150 watts not 55 each.
I installed them by making a 18mm mdf baffle the same size as the hole in the metal and cut the 6x9 shape in it.
Then i bonded the mdf baffle to the metal panel using p40.(my car now smells like a tvr)
The p69 subs were designed for the new mini and to go in there stock speaker place.
They apparently work better in an inclosed space,so in the mini they sealed the rear quarter's which join the boot with expanding foam.
so i did the same using the piece of foam that was all ready there and sealing it in with expanding foam.
I also used sound deadening on the inner and outer off the rear quarter and blocked all the holes with it to make a sealed inclosure.
I am going to have to sound deaden the rear quarters more as i am still getting rattles,I found the xx song fantasy a good test, j christ that bass is low!

click to enlarge

The components were straight forward,I used sound deadening on the inner and outer skin covering all the holes to make a sealed inclosure out off the door,I wanted to bond a mdf baffle to the door as recommended generally and also because the mids are close to the windows when there fully down, but i want to keep the stock grills and i think the cones would hit the grills if I spaced the mids out.

click to enlarge

The tweeters are mounted in std place using the guide on the forum,probably not the best place for sound quality but a compromise as I want the interior to look standard.

click to enlarge

My head unit has not arrived yet,but i am getting one with iphone control and bluetooth so I have run the lead so I can dock my iphone in the centre console compartment.
I just drilled a hole in the bottom of the compartment and stuck in a piece of mdf so it lays at a 45 degree angle.
It's not the best install but it's quite simple plus the hole can be covered up by the little rubber matt if I ever want to take it out.
click to enlarge

Since I have brought all my gear, genesis has gone bust cry so your struggle buying there stuff in the future,but it does come up on ebay sometimes and in fact I brought all my speakers off ebay second hand but new!
I have actually spent only half off the rrp buying second hand or in the sale stuff as i did not want to spend £1000 on a car stereo!
Hope some of this is usefull!

Re: Genesis Profile install [Re: ] #1101545
14/09/2010 21:47
14/09/2010 21:47

M
montgomery
Unregistered
montgomery
Unregistered
M

pic is not working for me pal.

Re: Genesis Profile install [Re: ] #1101561
14/09/2010 22:05
14/09/2010 22:05

J
jonone
Unregistered
jonone
Unregistered
J

sorted!

Re: Genesis Profile install [Re: ] #1101647
15/09/2010 08:43
15/09/2010 08:43

M
MABR
Unregistered
MABR
Unregistered
M

This sounds (no pun intended smile ) like my perfect setup.

I wondered if the Profile amp would fit under the seat as this was the way I wanted to go originally. I ended up going with a Phoenix Gold amp and JBL comps and sub as a compromise just to get some decent sound fitted.

I'll be watching this with interest to see how the 6 X 9 subs sound.

Nice work by the way. cool

Re: Genesis Profile install [Re: ] #1102685
16/09/2010 21:53
16/09/2010 21:53

J
jonone
Unregistered
jonone
Unregistered
J

I have been using my old head unit to set them up,and so far I am very pleased.
The subs sound good,there area is roughly like two 8"cones or like genesis them self's quote,one single 10"sub.
Don't get me wrong there is no "replacement for displacement" as the old saying go's,so there not going to be like a big driver with hundreds of watts behind it,but I don't want or need that much bass any way!
I don"t know how low they go or at what db they start to dip but its plenty for me.
Anyway they move enough air to be causing me issues with rattles,and i have been adding more sound deadening today to no avail!
I want my car to handle as well as possible,and i have probably added 20kg of sound deadening,so i have got to draw the line somewhere I am not going to start striping the head lineing and carpets etc.
I would say most people would be happy with the sound seeing how compact this setup is.
cdt do 6X9 sub's as well, but i don't if there as good?

Re: Genesis Profile install [Re: ] #1116160
17/10/2010 09:24
17/10/2010 09:24

M
MABR
Unregistered
MABR
Unregistered
M

Well here's an interesting situation. crazy

Having got back yesterday, I decided to fit my newly acquired Profile 4 the same way as above. Whipped the front passenger seat out and underneath looks totally different to the pic above. I have 4 raised "humps" on the floorpan for the seat mounting points and the amp doesn't fit between them. grr Also, when I removed my seat, all of the framework came away with it and didn't look anything like the framework in the above pic either. crazy

Totally gutted as I thought I'd finally find my ideal "stealth" solution. cry My coupé is a MY2000 20VT[6]; don't know if that makes a difference but my current leather interior is out of a much earlier coupé and fitted fine?

Re: Genesis Profile install [Re: ] #1116232
17/10/2010 16:45
17/10/2010 16:45

J
jonone
Unregistered
jonone
Unregistered
J

My seats are not standard so thats why the frames are different and the frames don't come out with the seat,but the floor pan should be the same.
you should have a raised cross member at the front and two raised bumps at the rear.
my original idea was to attach a thin piece of 6mm mdf between the seat runners from the cross member to the bumps then velcro the amp to the mdf.

Re: Genesis Profile install [Re: ] #1116311
17/10/2010 20:28
17/10/2010 20:28

M
MABR
Unregistered
MABR
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: jonone
you should have a raised cross member at the front and two raised bumps at the rear.

That's exactly what I've got but my Profile 4 won't fit between them? crazy

EDIT: Is yours a standard Profile 4 or a Profile 4 Ultra and is there any difference in size?

EDIT 2: Forget the above; the Ultra is the same dimensions but higher powered.

Re: Genesis Profile install [Re: ] #1116375
17/10/2010 22:53
17/10/2010 22:53

M
MABR
Unregistered
MABR
Unregistered
M

Having studied your photo tonight, it looks as if your amp is raised up slightly to clear the crossmember and humps? If that's the case then the standard seats won't allow this and my install's stuffed. cry

There's no physical way that the Profile 4 will fit between the 2 rear humps.

Looks like I've jumped in too soon.

Last edited by MABR; 17/10/2010 22:55.
Re: Genesis Profile install [Re: ] #1116397
18/10/2010 00:15
18/10/2010 00:15

J
jonone
Unregistered
jonone
Unregistered
J

The profile four ultra is longer,do you have the ultra?
Yes,I did not explain my amp is raised at the front by a piece of 4"x2"(sounds terrible I know but it works)so its not sitting on the terminals.
My seats are lower than standard so it should fit yours.
Worst case you could mount it behind the lining in the boot!

Re: Genesis Profile install [Re: ] #1156905
15/01/2011 17:02
15/01/2011 17:02

J
jonone
Unregistered
jonone
Unregistered
J

MABR, how you getting on,any news on what you have done?

Re: Genesis Profile install [Re: ] #1157030
16/01/2011 00:14
16/01/2011 00:14

M
MABR
Unregistered
MABR
Unregistered
M

MABR, how you getting on,any news on what you have done?

Well I tried everything possible to get it to mount under the seat but it wasn't having any. frown

3 Months on and I'm back to a Phoenix Gold amp plus PG components and sub. laugh I'm happy enough with the sound that this system gives so will be sticking with it for the forseeable future. cool

The amp is screwed to the back of the rear seat and sufficiently out of the way not to matter.

How are the 6 X 9 subs doing as this is the only change that I'd consider making in the future?

Re: Genesis Profile install [Re: ] #1157322
16/01/2011 18:40
16/01/2011 18:40

J
jonone
Unregistered
jonone
Unregistered
J

Sorry to hear the amp did not work out for you,I feel slightly guilty for leading you up the wrong path!
The subs are sounding good,overall I very pleased with the system its nicely balanced,they give clean deep bass but do not overpower the fronts,so the sound integrates very well,this is still a stealthly install aimed at quality rather than quantity.
The components are impressive as well,I would recommend them to anyone.
The only thing that annoys me is the road noise from the coop is so loud it forces you to turn the volume up to levels that are loud when stationary but only just register when your driving.

Re: Genesis Profile install [Re: ] #1157327
16/01/2011 18:47
16/01/2011 18:47

J
jonone
Unregistered
jonone
Unregistered
J

If your coming to Brooklands Auto Italia day your more than welcome to have a listen!

Re: Genesis Profile install [Re: ] #1161068
24/01/2011 15:40
24/01/2011 15:40

M
MABR
Unregistered
MABR
Unregistered
M

If your coming to Brooklands Auto Italia day your more than welcome to have a listen!

Thanks for the offer but doubt if we´ll be there this year. Oh and don´t worry about the amp - I´m a big boy now and I should´ve measured things before commiting. Besides which I turned a small profit when I resold it! laugh