Hi, I drove W159SBD this afternoon. It's a really good car, drives very well, no knocks, squeaks or rattles. Interior is mint. My only reservation is that it's had a mediocre respray and could do with a MOP session. If John Anastasio's old car isn't perfect, I'll be buying W159SBD.
So I decided to list everything that I currently know needs to be sorted on my Coupe, this is in no real order, just in whatever order I remembered what needed doing, some recommendations on how to do some bits, things I should prioritize, I know for example exterior painting, interior refresh and cleaning can wait until last. currently the car isn’t in the garage, but it will be within the next few months (I hope) Recommendations on where to get parts would also be helpful, I’ve put if I already have the part I’m referencing to in brackets next to it, the restoration will take time, I’m off to uni in September however studying Motorsports Engineering so ill have plenty of new skills every time I come home to work on the car during holidays. But the idea is to ensure the car will still be on the road in another 20/30/40 years, so I don’t mind the restoration taking many, many years, she might be able to pass an mot and be on the road sooner but for her to be as how I want her it will take quite a lot of time, my uncle has spent 8 ish years on his Tipo 16v and that’s going to be finished this year and its like brand new, that's how I aim to have my Coupe
List of work required.
• All locks swapping over (already got new ones)
• Badges refurbishment (got a new rear badge, potentially need all other badges new tho)
• Put new brake callipers on (already got new ones)
• Engine full service, full fluids flush, good lookover engine before attempting to get her started
• rust repairs in; floor pan in the corners under rear seats, passenger rear quaterpanel replacement, (its too rusted to save, got a non rusty one from 20v donor) bottom of B pillar also rusted, might need replacing with 20v too, some small areas of floor pan underside have rust, only surface, clean up the Eiffel towers, all look solid at this moment, mild corrosion around drivers side rear light cluster due to something being dropped on it and chipping the paint away, slight rust on the back of the sills where the floor pan joins, swap spare wheel well with 16v clean up inside rear quarter panel on drivers side, swap inside rear quarter panel with 20v donor passenger side, clean up rear brake disk stone protectors, new fuel tank straps, clean up wheel arches and will try get the subframes sent off to be properly cleaned up and protected. I’m unsure on the quality of the radiator support however seeing a lot of other peoples I will likely need a new one, I have new front bumper brackets, part no. 004603231 rust protection on all metals and painting, ideally in cars colour and have the underside protected.
• new spings/dampers and entire suspension refurbishment (I have new bushings, and arb linkages)
• new exhaust, could get the one from the 16v but tbf id like a new one, fairly loud if anyone has any good recommendations, will need the entire system
• new brake disks, pads and lines
• new floor mat and carpets
• refresh upper part of the centre console, remove the blue paint get it back to standard and unsticky the 16v lower centre console
• refresh fuel cap
• new seals on everything if possible
• swap windscreen with 16v or get a new one if they are even available, mines chipped
• new headliner material
• refurb headlights
• put on new fog lights (already have new ones)
• potentially put on the new front bumper I have, however the one on the car looks fine so maybe not
• entire respray, including engine bay (this will definitely be after I’ve finished Uni and have a proper job to pay for it)
• new bonnet gas struts
• LE seat clean and install
• wheel refurbishment and painting silver
Now that’s all I can remember of the top of my head, quite the amount of work isn’t it, should be fun, painful and every other emotion that comes with working on a 28 year old car, it will likely be expensive, I'll try to get a decent chunk done before I go to Uni and become completely broke however after uni, assuming I do well and get a decent job in motorsports that shouldn’t be a huge issue, ill aim to do as much as I can myself to one learn and 2 save costs and in the end I hope to have a car nearly as good as new and a large set of practical skills that will help me in the future.
Again this is in no real order, i know within the next week ill have the quarter panels and stuff cut out from the 20v and I might start work on sanding off the inside floor pan to find out how bad/good its looking in my car