|
1 registered members (1 invisible),
774
guests, and 6
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,722
Posts1,170,123
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
Reverse light solution?
#1137041
28/11/2010 11:34
28/11/2010 11:34
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Has anybody that has done an all red rear light conversion found a good solution to replacing the now missing reverse light? I have managed to get by without for now but last night i needed to turn my car around in a road with parked cars and no street lighting, made my usual 4 point turn into something more like 6 and reversing out of parking spaces at the busy supermarket can be a pain too.
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1137237
28/11/2010 20:41
28/11/2010 20:41
|
Paul_H
Unregistered
|
Paul_H
Unregistered
|
not done it yet, but I'm planning on buying some LED lights and recessing them into the rear reflectors
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1137274
28/11/2010 22:06
28/11/2010 22:06
|
pfoe
Unregistered
|
pfoe
Unregistered
|
The temptation for me would be to mount some white LED's around where the number plate lives. Im sure they could be nicely integrated without it being noticable.
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1137301
28/11/2010 23:08
28/11/2010 23:08
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Paul, I seen the ones shown on someones youtube video, they do look good but I think you would have to use a milling machine to get all the holes to line up precisely so not to look DIY.
Pfoe, yes I have been on the look out for something to put either side of the number plate such as clear marker lights for some time now but havent had any success. Most I have seen are about an inch deep and would prefere something more low profile
I was wondering if anybody has actually done anything about the reverse light, as there must be a number of people on here running without one.
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1137332
29/11/2010 01:28
29/11/2010 01:28
|
stinky
Unregistered
|
stinky
Unregistered
|
I've done it on mine. I'm actually half way through as my attention has turned to engine problems.
I have all red lenses; it's actually two sets of tail/brake lights with LED bulbs inside.
I've drilled holes each side of the top of the numberplate area (about 3cm down and 3cm in) and fitted (well fitted the reverse; haven't got the fog in yet) small dot LED lights (one red,one white). They are small round and about 20mm. I have an ink black car and I've used tint spray to smoke the reverse and fog so that unless you know to look you wouldn't normally notice them.
They aren't very bright but I'm happy with them.
I figure if I needed more light I could get hold of some clear lens coupe repeaters and fit those with ultrabright red and white LEDs.
When I've got my car back on the road I'll take some pictures.
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1139784
03/12/2010 17:55
03/12/2010 17:55
|
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 194 Berkshire
workshy
On a journey
|
On a journey
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 194
Berkshire
|
Take a hacksaw and some glue... But then purist's could say thats not a true all red conversion, and I'm probably only half-happy with the look myself. So, I picked up a set of these -  - for £12 off ebay. 100x15x25mm - 8 LED's Not too sure I want to start cutting holes anywhere in the bumper, but being so small they may look OK somewhere in the number plate recess. When this snow disapears I'll be having a play with them:)
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: Hovedan]
#1139815
03/12/2010 18:58
03/12/2010 18:58
|
Paul_H
Unregistered
|
Paul_H
Unregistered
|
been thinking about the number plate recess now too. clear side repeater lenses either side of the number plate would look good I think, not big enough to seem intrusive to the overall look.
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: Hovedan]
#1139866
03/12/2010 21:28
03/12/2010 21:28
|
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 194 Berkshire
workshy
On a journey
|
On a journey
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 194
Berkshire
|
I see the zender rear spoiler still remains Simon. What's all the stickers you've put on the back though  Yep, despite being a fully paid up member of the Coupe anti-spoiler club, it's still 'spoiling' the back end  - Tried a few bodyshops to fill/paint the holes... Cheapest £200  ...So, I'll live with it for a while! The badges? Well, it saves people asking... Gives them something to go home and Google  Anyway, just been out in the snow to try these LED's in different places... Going to have to sleep on it Failing that, maybe I could get a stupidly loud 'Danger vehicle reversing' gizmo like those fitted to bin lorries?...
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: workshy]
#1139877
03/12/2010 21:58
03/12/2010 21:58
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
I was thinking about those very same lights. possibly siliconed to the sides of the numberplate recess or even on the parcel shelf either side of the brake light
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1140292
05/12/2010 08:38
05/12/2010 08:38
|
Nazo
Unregistered
|
Nazo
Unregistered
|
I have done several sets and even offered some for sale on here.
Also did a 'How-to' and one of the mods should have posted it on the forum (bockers? he he)
Anyway I have had all Red lenses for a while and you can check my post called All red lenses for coop. So whats the solution, well in my opinion its a simple one
- Buy a 19led superbright white bulb - When fitting back the all red lenses, put the fog light lens housing on the reserve light side - now the reverse light will shine though very brightly
It will be a very light pink colour, as close to white as you can get. I have reversed many a time, with this setup and motorists are aware I am reversing and it provides enough light for reversing.
cheers
Last edited by Nazo; 05/12/2010 08:39.
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1140362
05/12/2010 13:57
05/12/2010 13:57
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Naz I have completed the bosco light conversion. I have led rings in all four lenses for stop and tail, Indicators in the bottom set and fogs in both the top for symetry, what you have is different... Vid Here not the best quality but gives you an idea
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1140426
05/12/2010 18:06
05/12/2010 18:06
|
Pondman
Unregistered
|
Pondman
Unregistered
|
I was thinking about those very same lights. possibly siliconed to the sides of the numberplate recess or even on the parcel shelf either side of the brake light Nice and neat Jonny, but wouldn't the shadow caused by the coops fat arse make them non effective 
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1140473
05/12/2010 20:27
05/12/2010 20:27
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
possibly but i doubt it, the poor light dispersed from the leds would most likely limit there effectiveness though 
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1140914
06/12/2010 19:56
06/12/2010 19:56
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
 been thinking about possibly using a rear view camera with night vision in the boot key hole as I can get by without that, Then the reverse light would then be for other peoples benefit. I have bought a second hand drivers sun visor for a bit of experimentation, If I can mount a LCD monitor inside the visor then its a go-er.
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1141357
07/12/2010 17:50
07/12/2010 17:50
|
Nazo
Unregistered
|
Nazo
Unregistered
|
 been thinking about possibly using a rear view camera with night vision in the boot key hole as I can get by without that, Then the reverse light would then be for other peoples benefit. I have bought a second hand drivers sun visor for a bit of experimentation, If I can mount a LCD monitor inside the visor then its a go-er. yes I have seen these..good idea and can certainly work. What about the idea to wire a reverse light to the rear number plate surround?
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1145142
16/12/2010 18:19
16/12/2010 18:19
|
nismo
Unregistered
|
nismo
Unregistered
|
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1145303
17/12/2010 00:49
17/12/2010 00:49
|
Nazo
Unregistered
|
Nazo
Unregistered
|
ditto Is it bright enough,daytime and night?
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1145412
17/12/2010 10:41
17/12/2010 10:41
|
stinky
Unregistered
|
stinky
Unregistered
|
lit: I haven't fitted the fog lamp yet. I got these from here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Button-12v-Re...cles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5adc5305c7http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Button-12v-Wh...cles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5adbff5182£4 each and I removed the rubber outer to make them neater, it wasn't needed anyway. They are fitted only to show that the car is reversing and to pass the MOT for the fog light. The reverse light doesn't offer much useful light for the driver, but I don't image the ones in the reflectors do either. If it fails the MOT on the fog light (although looking at the regulations it should be fine) I might upgrade the lights using clear coupe side repeaters with 501 bulb holders in them (thin rubber bulb holders not the common wide plastic ones) along with really bright 501 bulbs (LED or incandesent) They will offer more light.
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1166183
04/02/2011 13:55
04/02/2011 13:55
|
stinky
Unregistered
|
stinky
Unregistered
|
Fog light is in now and MOT passed  picture lit up. As a fog light it's not bad actually and will do the job; it's much brighter than the reverse. With them off and my car being so dark you can't really see these lights, so they work well.
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1166524
04/02/2011 23:32
04/02/2011 23:32
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
 looks good, my solution is done but not yet fitted. Im waiting for some decent weather when I have a day off work. Pics will follow once fitted
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1166875
05/02/2011 23:19
05/02/2011 23:19
|
stinky
Unregistered
|
stinky
Unregistered
|
I've been doing it in my lunch hour at work,in the work car park in the rain  go on get out there  I'm looking forward to seeing them.
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1170596
14/02/2011 00:00
14/02/2011 00:00
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
was going to start my install today. The visor has a satnav/rear camera monitor built in along with a AV receiver. The brass eyelet in the visor allows the receivers led light to be visible when on. I had to do some adapting of the usb data/charge lead so that I can have a usb port on the center console. This usb port is powered by a 1 amp supply which can be used to charge anything required whilst it is simultaneously powering the satnav and rear view receiver. When the power is switched off - the usb on the center console is a straight through connection to the sun visor allowing a laptop to transfere files and update the satnav. The AV receiver in the sun visor automatically switches the satnav to monitor mode when a signal is transmitted from the rear camera which is powered from my reverse light cable. No additional cabling required. I also have two white LED arrays which I plan on using but have not decided on a location for the camera or LEDS as yet. I was hoping on having the lot installed today, bloody weather. I might still change the LED arrays for what you have done stinky, I do like them.
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1170606
14/02/2011 00:26
14/02/2011 00:26
|
Duffy
Unregistered
|
Duffy
Unregistered
|
I just bing the hazards on when I'm reversing somewhere dark, it throws out enough light that way.
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1170742
14/02/2011 14:28
14/02/2011 14:28
|
GS_Racing
Unregistered
|
GS_Racing
Unregistered
|
 been thinking about possibly using a rear view camera with night vision in the boot key hole as I can get by without that, Then the reverse light would then be for other peoples benefit. I have bought a second hand drivers sun visor for a bit of experimentation, If I can mount a LCD monitor inside the visor then its a go-er. you can get an interior mirror with a built in screen,that would surely be better?
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1170941
14/02/2011 19:13
14/02/2011 19:13
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
yeah, I thought about that too but this way I have sat nav aswell for same price. Cabling wise I dont have to run any additional cables to the rear for the camera as it powers off the reverse light output. The camera itself has a built in transmitter that the receiver picks up when the camera is active and auto switches the screen to monitor.
|
|
|
Re: Reverse light solution?
[Re: ]
#1174983
22/02/2011 15:50
22/02/2011 15:50
|
bradthe16vt
Unregistered
|
bradthe16vt
Unregistered
|
I've been wondering what can be done with the rear lights too. I did think maybe doing something like workshy's method using a couple of reverse light halfs and glueing them together for a set of complete clear lower rear lights if you catch my drift may give it a go if I get together a few cheap sets of rear lights. Dont suppose anyone could photoshop or have any pics of what all clear lower rears would look like thanks with the standard reds up top ?  Bradders
|
|
|
|