» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rosso), 192 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,599
Posts1,341,093
Members1,801
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,553
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,300
PeteP 21,512
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,786
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: aerodynamics [Re: ] #1200682
12/04/2011 10:33
12/04/2011 10:33
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Gone
I'm not sure I could take any advice seriously from someone with
Quote:
If you decide to use fire extinguisher mod for a IC spray make sure you dont use the powder type
in their admitted technical ability range.

Re: aerodynamics [Re: ] #1200704
12/04/2011 12:36
12/04/2011 12:36

N
Nobby
Unregistered
Nobby
Unregistered
N

Would a foam one work better Jimbo? wink

Re: aerodynamics [Re: ] #1200721
12/04/2011 13:30
12/04/2011 13:30
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Gone
Obviously laugh

I keep my intercooler in a coolbox in the boot so I don't have that problem.

Re: aerodynamics [Re: ] #1200730
12/04/2011 14:01
12/04/2011 14:01

S
sediciRich
Unregistered
sediciRich
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: zimpara
couple of things i have picked up on, firstly putting in bonnet vents,

Ill mention scoops even though your not talking about them , they are stupid! unless you need them for a top mount IC they are stupid, end of

Now back on track with vents

you have to be very carefull and watch that they do,. with airflow under the bonnet,

there also then needs to be sufficent air flow through the engine bay to give it the push that it needs in the right direction,ie not just mountains or air getting pushed in from the top .
alot of boys find that putting vents or scoops actually pressurises the engine bay and the hot air cant get out, (ME infact) being totally unproductive.

these vents are there to tease the air from under the bonnet out to a certain threshold and then to get whipped away by the airflow passing outside of the car,

ie might need to be running with a improved undertray( better sealed) and then have very well placed air scoops underneath the car flowing air into right areas to help with this,

many have found this a complete waste of time so do the very best you can , but have a spare bonnet around just incase,

Next thing, how lowered is your car?

next thing, POWER

If you decide to use fire extinguisher mod for a IC spray make sure you dont use the powder type>( yes me again)

have you thought some nitrous?

you have pm

no we are not talking scoops, we are talking exhaust venting, using the high velocity air over the mid bonnet region to extract the higher pressure air from behind the wheel with a duct hose(the pressure gradient is as its max here, if you put the vents nearer the wind screen the effect could be no pressure gradient or flow.). Venting the bonnet with rearward facing NACA ducts would aid the pressure gradient across the radiator and help cooling, but reducing the rad opening area will cut drag and thats the plan here. Rearward facing ducts especially with a gurney placed mid to front bonnet can be pretty sure to have an extraction effect on the bay; we arent pushing any air in from the top! The test method with tufts would prove if the vents are effective, if not out with the gaffer tape. Also don't consider what fools in RS turbos do and raise the rear of their bonnets, because at speed the lower edge windscreen pressure will force air into the engine bay, keep the rear edge sealed.

Re: aerodynamics [Re: ] #1200781
12/04/2011 15:49
12/04/2011 15:49
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Gone
There must be quite a strong pressure difference over the rear of the bonnet/windscreen on the coupe already, it lifts the wipers off the window at speeds over 120mph. Venting air over the rear of the bonnet may help to keep the air flowing over the back of the bonnet and over the screen, a bit like a blown flap on a plane.
This may also improve the aerodynamics of the car as the air isn't separating the shape of the car causing excess drag.

Re: aerodynamics [Re: ] #1200846
12/04/2011 18:07
12/04/2011 18:07

S
sediciRich
Unregistered
sediciRich
Unregistered
S

Jim not sure what you are estimating here, its is the high pressure that lifts the wipers off the screen not some venturi effect sucking them off. If you vent the bonnet here air will flow from the windscreen base into the engine bay - we don't want that. But convesely a scuttle panel 'fill in' creating a smooth transition from bonnet rear edge to say half way up the windscreen would reduce the transition and seperation like you mentioned but in a different way. Not sure about visability mind.

Re: aerodynamics [Re: ] #1200894
12/04/2011 19:55
12/04/2011 19:55
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Gone
I was guessing it actually works the opposite way round Rich, bare with me here; air has to travel further over the top of the car than it does going underneath it, so for that air to meet at the same point at the rear of the car it has to travel faster over the top.
That higher speed air causes a low pressure over the car, that's why they start to lift at speed.

Now I was guessing the wipers lift at speed due to the low pressure being formed as the air passes from the bonnet to the windscreen.

A sure way to tell would be so selotape some cotton t the bonnet rear edge and watch what it does, same for any part of the car that you want to monitor airflow, bumper rear lip etc.
If you remove the bonnet seal at the back of the engine bay, you will either see the cotton shoot inside the bonnet under suction or flow up over the window.

Re: aerodynamics [Re: Jimbo] #1200907
12/04/2011 20:24
12/04/2011 20:24

A
Alesi
Unregistered
Alesi
Unregistered
A

@Per: Why don't you give the bearded guy in the picture a shout? idea
As you've bumped into mr.B himself recently you might have his contact details.
If not why don't you try his office Chris Bangle Associates in Italy.
click to enlarge

Re: aerodynamics [Re: Jimbo] #1200985
12/04/2011 22:22
12/04/2011 22:22

S
sediciRich
Unregistered
sediciRich
Unregistered
S

Sure Jim that would show what you want to know, but having seen countless wind tunnel reports via McBeaths aerobytes column I can be sure that what I mention is for real. Your analogy is a little too simple, sure if the body was a continuous ark then the velocity would potentially create a drop but the change in vector from the bonnet to the windscreen is huge, which creates turbulance at the base of the screen and a high pressure zone. But some tufts would tell the story real easy, and the coupes ranked screen may just level any pressure differential - you know another way is a U tube manometer, simply get some clear cappillary tube, use fence staples to make the U shape on a board, fill the U with some water, mark it in a level position (vertical board), the short end of the U is open to atmosphere and the other end extends and is taped to the test area - in this case the scuttle panel. With a friend holding the board drive the car at speed (the long end should not be facing into the direction of travel). If the water come flying out of the short end you have greater then ATM pressure in the scuttle, if its sucked towards the scuttle then you have lower than ATM pressure there.

KTM the u tube manometer test is useful for testing behind the wheels and in the engine bay to establish pressure differentials.

the chap made a huge manometer but the plan is the same
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nKaGEMLZjs

Have a look at this and some of autospeeds other articles on practical things you could do
http://autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=2159

Last edited by sediciRich; 12/04/2011 22:34.
Re: aerodynamics [Re: Jimbo] #1201024
12/04/2011 23:19
12/04/2011 23:19

S
shinyshoes
Unregistered
shinyshoes
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I'm not sure I could take any advice seriously from someone with
Quote:
If you decide to use fire extinguisher mod for a IC spray make sure you dont use the powder type
in their admitted technical ability range.

rofl rofl rofl

Re: aerodynamics [Re: ] #1201143
13/04/2011 11:24
13/04/2011 11:24
Sweden
Per Offline
I need some sleep
Per  Offline
I need some sleep

Sweden
SediRich is right, all cars of this basic body shape have pressure at the bottom of the windscreen. And underpressure (not sure that's the english word for it..) over the bonnet centre, if anyone's considering extra engine bay venting..

Originally Posted By: Alesi
@Per: Why don't you give the bearded guy in the picture a shout? idea
As you've bumped into mr.B himself recently you might have his contact details.
If not why don't you try his office Chris Bangle Associates in Italy.
click to enlarge

smile Yes, we've already had some mail conversations. Quite interesting, and he's a very laidback guy . For example I found out it's the same guy who designed the Pininfarina proposal for the Coupe (and of course also the 406 Coupe) and the E60 BMW 5-series.. Davida Archangeli. " a nice irony since I later hired him into BMW and did that super-special E60 5Series I love so much (and died in the process, the poor guy)" smile

Re: aerodynamics [Re: ] #1201548
13/04/2011 23:26
13/04/2011 23:26

K
ktm450exc
Unregistered
ktm450exc
Unregistered
K

this is getting very involved and interesting i have to say..its gone from taping up and possibly fashioning a splitter to some serious posts ..thats why i spend way more time than i should on the forum! ..
even if a little above my head in parts i appreciate the time and suggestions ..
i am trying to take it all in but without having time to spend learning the basics of aerodynamics in order to grasp all you are telling me i can only take in so much..so i would be grateful if we can try and come up with practical suggestions i can fabricate with my limited facilities..i am happy to spend some time testing various ideas but what would really make this attept succesful would be someone that actually knows what they are doing/talking about physically helping ..so if someone fancies getting involved inbreaking the record i am happy to cover thier expenses
..i am probably asking a lot there but i have a serious lack of time with which to fill my head with enough to understand what i am doing so in truth unless someone does it will be basic stuff from whats been mentioned so far..i already know way more than i did from the links and whats been said so can at least make a better go of it
will be glad of any more thoughts though

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3