» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (kjpe, 386ka), 271 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,600
Posts1,341,117
Members1,802
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,556
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,300
PeteP 21,512
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,788
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Porsche 911 slower than Coupe what else can I buy [Re: ] #1248429
12/08/2011 22:49
12/08/2011 22:49

B
Biggenz
Unregistered
Biggenz
Unregistered
B

The Z4 is by no means a quick car.

A work colleague of mine had the 2.5l model. He had it chipped and still he couldn't get away from my Civic Type R, which is by no means any threat to a Coupe.

Re: Porsche 911 slower than Coupe what else can I buy [Re: Cappo] #1248452
13/08/2011 00:48
13/08/2011 00:48

J
jim3
Unregistered
jim3
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted By: Cappo

You're absolutely right Dan. I do think people miss this point quite a lot when making Coupe comparisons.

Sure, the Coupe offers a LOT of bang for very little buck. It's quick, it's stylish, it's cheap (while it's running!).

But, for example, go and drive a 10+ year old Focus, then drive a new one. Substitute any "regular" car you like; Astra GTE vs Astra VXR? I could go on for ever....there's a massive gulf in capabilities between a 15-year old design and anything coming out of a car factory today.

The Coupe has a market and a niche because it's so unusual. But there are, I'm sorry to say, shedloads of modern cars out there which, in terms of pure performance and also in terms of the driving experience, would absolutely run rings around it (assuming we're talking about a fairly standard example).

Coupe Blinkers were mentioned further up the thread, and sadly I think this is true. Go and test drive a modern mid-range car, of just about any description, then jump back in your Coupe, and you'll find that the difference is night & day.

I love my Coupe, and I'm in the lucky position of being able to keep it without it being my daily drive, and every time I get into it it puts a big grin on my face, but ultimately, despite mine being such a fantastic example, it is NOT better than modeern tackle, not if you consider it dispassionately, and if you're ready to move on, be prepared to be very surprised at what you can buy for relatively modest money these days.

Great post.

Re: Porsche 911 slower than Coupe what else can I buy [Re: ] #1251148
19/08/2011 19:00
19/08/2011 19:00

T
TipoBoy
Unregistered
TipoBoy
Unregistered
T

I love my 997. Sure it doesn't have the push in the back like the Coupe had but everything else about the driving experience is superior. The driving position is fantastic, you sit low, everything is within reach, centered steering wheel, rev counter in middle of instrument cluster, just makes you want to drive it.

The throttle response is instant and linear, the brakes only need a slight amount of travel to start working and again are linear, not over servoed. It's also easy to drive, I'm using it as a daily driver.

The handling is worlds apart from a Coupe, no drama it just squats and gets on with it. No torque steer, no jumping front wheels, fantastic feel through steering wheel and very stable at speed. Just don't lift mid corner!!!

My friend hates Porsches, only gay guys drive them, would disown me as a friend blah blah blah. I let him sit in it one day, I don't like him enough to let him drive it! He was blown away, finally he could understand what I had been raving about. A true sports car not a family car made sporty.

Not everyone likes the shape or image though. I can understand that but I've wanted once since I was at school.

I still love my Coupe. I enjoyed modifying it and it's far more than a car to me. It gets a huge amount of attention in Canada and I'm proud that most of the work done is mine. However I'm finding it difficult to imagine wanting to drive it over the 997.

At some point you have to accept that dumping more money into the car is simply not worth it. I should have cut my losses a long time ago and bought the car I always wanted.

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Porsche 911 slower than Coupe what else can I buy [Re: ] #1306771
16/01/2012 08:25
16/01/2012 08:25

N
ngspawn
Unregistered
ngspawn
Unregistered
N

Originally Posted By: Biggenz
That's just the thing though, once you've driven a turbo car, no n/a car can quite cut it afterwards. Unless you spend a hell of a lot of money, and even then it's not as much fun.

Before I had the Coupe, my mate said to me, "Once you've owned a turbo car, you'll never want anything else again". And I believe him!

Well I can`t agree , I got 280hp coop and when I tested 360 spider, ferrari realy impressed me with the performance. It has torque all the way on all gears. and keeps accelerating strong after 120mph.

Re: Porsche 911 slower than Coupe what else can I buy [Re: ] #1306796
16/01/2012 11:08
16/01/2012 11:08
London Tan
technics Offline
I need some sleep
technics  Offline
I need some sleep

London Tan
Well he did say "Unless you spend a hell of alot of money" and your talking about a Ferrari, so.......

Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: Porsche 911 slower than Coupe what else can I buy [Re: ] #1306801
16/01/2012 11:33
16/01/2012 11:33
Harpenden
S
sugerbear Offline
Je suis un Coupé
sugerbear  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
S

Harpenden
I have driven Shabba's Z4 and in comparison to my old coupe it feels very different.

The coupe gives a nice sharp kick when the turbo spools up, the bigger the turbo the more the kick and the more the the thrill. And that is something you can do on a long straight bit of road.

Saying that having a big turbo is not always a good thing especially when it comes in mid corner and shunts you into the nearest field. Its not particularly great for commuting either.

The Z4 was a lot different, all very linear and unless going seriously fast it felt a bit boring. But it is better put together and does have the panache of RWD. Its just a shame they didn't put the M3 V8 into it.

That is my personal opinion, and not long after that I had a go in a Lotus S2 around the Hethel track and that was a world of difference as well. Each to their own.

How to make a startrek widget cable >> http://tinyurl.com/dyje6fy
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4