» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 196 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,430
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,520
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,294
PeteP 21,482
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,660
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LE 53 Restoration project #1252259
22/08/2011 20:14
22/08/2011 20:14
Windsor/ Reading
knight7660 Offline OP
Competition Level
knight7660  Offline OP
Competition Level

Windsor/ Reading
Well where do i start coffee

It all started when speaking to Countrycruising (Joe at FCSS) about full restorations and if it was worth doing as a project and the answer was yes of course they are worth it.
First off i started looking for a unit to rent so i could do the restoration work in, i already had one up at FCSS but that was for another project which is still not finished but it wasn’t big enough for a coupe as well, after much hassling with the landlord he built another unit big enough for what was needed.

click to enlarge

So storage sorted now to decide on which coupe model to restore, after much thinking i decided on restoring an LE due to I’ve always liked the leather and the titanium coloured bits, after much searching i didnt find one within my budget but kept the feelers out just incase.

Shortly after starting the search i was deployed to Afghanistan for a 6 month operational tour and so i left Joe to carry on the searching until one day while at a main base i managed to get on the net and had an email from a forum member saying he had an LE which needed alot of love so a deal was struck and Joe had it collected.

The problem with blind buys is as we all know it could go wrong in a big way which is always the gamble and for my LE almost did go wrong in a big way but more about that later

So here are some pics sorry there not the best

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Well as the owner said it is in need of alot of work and true to the word it did need it.

So the engine needed replacing due to snapped cambelt

Full glass out respray

Full undersealing and any rust treating

Drivers seat refurbing and the rest of the interior needs a major deep clean and loads of other jobs which il include along the way.

It took about 3 days to strip the shell all the way down in September last year then was sent down to FCSS paint guy where there was a huge problem when the rub down was started. He said there was loads of filler on the offside rear which we could see the was a small repair before we sent it down, but this turned out to be a side swipe and it had been just fill completely with filler and sprayed over. I was abit pissed at this time because it was a big problem.

After thinking long and hard the nod was give and it was repaired. I was then asked if i wanted to get rid of the rear wing vent things and i decided to keep them because i haven’t seen any other coupes with them plus it would of been alot more work again for the paint guy. That decided it was now the long wait for it to be sprayed, it took this long because Joe kept going down there and pointing out issues that needed to be sorted before it went to paint (thanks Joe).

In December the paint guy decided to have a new booth installed over Xmas so that was another delay but i was assured the paint finish would be alot better with the new booth so i was more than happy to wait as you do.

so heres some of the pics of the rebuild which we did in about 4 days plus other stuff going on at the same time.

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

And heres some 98% done just needs some minor things sorting out and a major detailing session

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

and before anybody mentions the plus wheels are on there because my LE rims arnt finished yet and the tractor tires are to stop the misses from kerbing them when they were on the VIS smile

Last edited by knight7660; 26/08/2011 22:55.

LE53 (452BHp & 389ftlb's with Quaife)
Wine red VIS FOOFY
Audi RS4 B7
Re: LE 53 Restoration project [Re: knight7660] #1252276
22/08/2011 20:56
22/08/2011 20:56
Windsor/ Reading
knight7660 Offline OP
Competition Level
knight7660  Offline OP
Competition Level

Windsor/ Reading
pics will be added very soon

im having problems with the pics again if anybody can help me please do smile

Last edited by knight7660; 26/08/2011 22:24.

LE53 (452BHp & 389ftlb's with Quaife)
Wine red VIS FOOFY
Audi RS4 B7
Re: LE 53 Restoration project [Re: knight7660] #1253984
26/08/2011 22:56
26/08/2011 22:56
Windsor/ Reading
knight7660 Offline OP
Competition Level
knight7660  Offline OP
Competition Level

Windsor/ Reading