» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Jamiepm), 204 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,597
Posts1,341,082
Members1,801
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,553
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,300
PeteP 21,512
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,785
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Suspension #1296300
10/12/2011 20:08
10/12/2011 20:08

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

Finally got round to the start of refreshing my suspension.
My car pulls to the left. Sometimes it feels a little floatey and occasionally following the contours of the road surface, more than I 'think' it should. Have had the front right dip, once on hard acceleration and again on hard braking. 
The front right front tyre has the inner edge wear. 
When I bought the car I had the front springs changed as one had cracked to get through the week after purchase, MOT. Front shocks were also replaced, well 'shock' (passenger side) as I have just found out through starting this exercise. Not sure what happened with that...? So, answers some questions. 
So presently. I had the tracking done but, it did not sort it out and the steering wheel ended ended up at 2 o'clock rather than the 1 o' clock .
Thought I would start with the wishbones. After reading up on many posts of info here, I decided to stay with standard wishbones, drop links and track rod ends. 
Nearly bought some poly bushed wishbones but decided against it as well as not putting the poly drop link group buy bushes.  
Bought from AA and delivered within 24 hours, always good service from them.  Bought new set of bolts from Fiat £38 mark.
Followed Barnacles very straightforeward guide for reference to change the wishbones etc  It was useful to have an air impact gun to free the bolts from the sub frame. The job went fine, as per 'how to' it is a little fiddly to get the holes lined up when fitting new wishbone. The use of various clamps and bars to wiggle and pursuade was needed. On these jobs you are always up against the tight or seized bolt! making the job so much longer. Only thing I didn't use was Barnacles knees which would of been useful. Thanks for the 'how to'!
So now they are on, need to have the tracking done. Although the  steering wheel is pretty much square and the drive feels tighter its  still pulling especially if I accelerate and lift off quick. 
Was splitting this job into three starting with the wishbones, it was then going to be front shocks and top mounts (again will just go standard route, no way can I think about lowering the car) then rear radius. 
I did check the rear not so long ago for play, but now there is some movement in the passenger side, so that could account for the unsuccessful tracking. 
Reading the 'how to' for the radius arm it looks it bit more complicated and some pics are missing. I find pics very useful to follow.  Not looking foreward too much to start this but needs doing. 
Any advice, tips or photos would be appreciated to make life easier.  This now might not happen until  after New Year, finding the time isn't easy sometimes. And I know how ever long you think you might take, double it!
Cheers!

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1296343
10/12/2011 23:17
10/12/2011 23:17

N
nismo
Unregistered
nismo
Unregistered
N

Originally Posted By: dlongstaff
how ever long you think you might take, double it!

triple it laugh

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1296388
11/12/2011 10:28
11/12/2011 10:28

M
MABR
Unregistered
MABR
Unregistered
M

I'll be watching this with interest as I'm stockpiling bits for my own suspension refresh. Mine is purely down to wear and tear - no real issues at the moment but I'm sure the garage will find something! rolleyes

Interesting that you've gone for standard bits rather than uprated which is what I've done;

Standard wishbones
Standard droplinks
Standard TRE's
Standard springs (rears still needed)
Standard Topmounts (offside still needed)
Bilstein Shocks
Eibech camber bolts

Hoping to have most of this stuff fitted along with a service this coming weekend or early in the New Year followed by 4 wheel alignment.

I'll be interested to see how yours "feels" on the road once you've got it sorted.

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1296399
11/12/2011 11:00
11/12/2011 11:00
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
Originally Posted By: MABR

Standard springs (rears still needed)

I have some for sale if you're still looking - PM me

[Linked Image]
Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1296405
11/12/2011 11:33
11/12/2011 11:33
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Southsea
Another thing worth looking at are the rear subframe bushes. Mine are totally shot and need replacing. Joe has some images in his traders page if you need a comparison.

One final note is the use of the standard drop link bushes. I've had my car 4 years and have found the OE items to need replacing annually. Even Fiat ones perish within that time frame. This is why I've moved to the PU ones from the group buy page.

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1297337
13/12/2011 23:53
13/12/2011 23:53

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

Been having a bit more read and a think. Do I get these as talked about here as, standard springs,shocks, top mounts comes in at a little over £500.

Last edited by dlongstaff; 13/12/2011 23:57. Reason: grammar
Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1297459
14/12/2011 16:18
14/12/2011 16:18
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Gone
I'd give Begbie a week or so to write a review on the BC coilovers, they could be the suspension the coupe has been waiting for?

Re: Suspension [Re: Jimbo] #1297548
14/12/2011 22:22
14/12/2011 22:22

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I'd give Begbie a week or so to write a review on the BC coilovers, they could be the suspension the coupe has been waiting for?

It would be good to hear some feedback!
I wasn't specifically looking at this type of set up as per post. It's only now that I have tuned in to the 'new make of coilover' thread and now I realise there is a group buy being set up for same, or should I panic buy as the prices are going way up after tomorrow?

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1297561
14/12/2011 23:13
14/12/2011 23:13

J
jonone
Unregistered
jonone
Unregistered
J

well i had a short ride in begbie's car and the initial impressions are good, we were on some typically bumpy english roads and the damping was very good even on the low settings there is enough rebound so it did not float in dips making the ride as good as your going to get from coilovers with 330lb springs. i have no doubt that this is now the best handling option for the price at the moment.

it will be to "hardcore" for some but perfect if you want to do the odd trackday and be acceptable on the road, it will be quite different from a refreshed std setup, so you need to decide what you want from the car?

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1298842
19/12/2011 18:18
19/12/2011 18:18
Bucks
jame5 Offline
I need some sleep
jame5  Offline
I need some sleep

Bucks
Also having possible suspension issues, wandering on bumpy/rutted roads and floaty feeling when slowing down from speeds. What sort of prices would i be looking at (ball park) for a suspension refresh?

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1298874
19/12/2011 20:51
19/12/2011 20:51

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

Wishbones, drop links and track rod ends receipt I have from Alternative Autos is £228.78 including delivery.
The bolts from Fiat about £40
From my previous post a little over £500 for springs etc

Paid near £700 for the coilovers and rear radius kit.

I don't want to add it up in one lump. Looks better spaced out. Labour you need to add on top if you getting a proper mechanic, I'm doing it myself.

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1305309
11/01/2012 19:51
11/01/2012 19:51

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

Put this lot on click to enlarge and has already made the world of difference.!
Now got this lot click to enlarge to put on when I find the time.

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1305349
11/01/2012 20:51
11/01/2012 20:51

A
Alfex
Unregistered
Alfex
Unregistered
A

I renewed a shed load of suspension. New Fiat wishbones, new top mounts, put the full Powerflex PU bushes into the wishbones and drop links. Forget the Fiat drop links.... It is on a good set an annual renewal. I had a shot track rod end which was not helping the track of the car.
I am experiencing the same issue of wheel at 2 o clock, while driving forward, car also pulls to the left.... Both things are annoying me.
I have to change out all wheels (this weekend) as the Irish roads have buckled all 4. This may not be helping the scenario. Something as small as tyre pressure seems to cause issues. The sensation on the steering wheel of the car being turned the road surface is felt with ye feedback of same.

I'd be glad of any other suggestions.... Rear suspension has to be inspected, was wondering was it the LSD?

Aido

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1309631
24/01/2012 00:22
24/01/2012 00:22

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

Finally started the rear radius arm today.
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Compare these two pics. The amount of movement was hardly noticable if you were to check the wheel for play, but there was some. And the first pic illustrates the huge amount of difference it makes. The drivers side is solid, zero play.
click to enlarge
This is how the dust seal looked.
And this is what was left of the bearing after I knocked it out from the opposite end cleanly! The other bearing was still intact and greased. This end, well as you can see was a little dry!
click to enlarge  
Should make some difference once it all goes back. wink
Tracking, it was never going to be right.

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1309698
24/01/2012 11:12
24/01/2012 11:12

D
Duffy
Unregistered
Duffy
Unregistered
D

Yes that's definitely rubbered!

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1310599
26/01/2012 19:48
26/01/2012 19:48

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

click to enlarge click to enlarge
Fitted rears first. Unless I fitted them wrong? bit odd the way the spring fits onto the adjustable cup. Not until the car is lowered does it seat properly. Other than that it was a straight fit. Had it on five clicks in from soft to hard. Drove the short distance home that night , and it was extremely bouncy.
Fitted fronts without any issues. Messed about quite alot with the ride height. Out of the box it's way too low. I raised it and still couldn't get out of the estate. So got it levelled out now to normal ride hieght (or it matching the figures I took before removing old setup)
So standard ride height, I also fitted Nigel's lower brace. Ten clicks on the front and fifteen on the back stopped the bounce altogether. Early days but feels good at the moment. What I did notice was the easy turn of the steering wheel when I first moved the car at low speed.
With all the saggy/aged bits replaced now, be interesting to have a good few miles drive over the next few days.

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1310614
26/01/2012 20:22
26/01/2012 20:22
Bucks
jame5 Offline
I need some sleep
jame5  Offline
I need some sleep

Bucks
Are those the BC coilovers? Looking very good, going to be a while before i can afford to do the same rolleyes

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1310616
26/01/2012 20:25
26/01/2012 20:25

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

Yes they are James.
Link for reference

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1310669
26/01/2012 22:22
26/01/2012 22:22
Bucks
jame5 Offline
I need some sleep
jame5  Offline
I need some sleep

Bucks
Thanks, bookmarked the links for when i've paid off HMRC!

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1310730
27/01/2012 09:36
27/01/2012 09:36
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline
Ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline
Ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Sandhurst
Originally Posted By: dlongstaff
Fitted rears first. Unless I fitted them wrong? bit odd the way the spring fits onto the adjustable cup. Not until the car is lowered does it seat properly. Other than that it was a straight fit. Had it on five clicks in from soft to hard. Drove the short distance home that night , and it was extremely bouncy.

I found the same on the rears and also said this when I did my little review on it. My understanding is, that you're never going to have the car high enough for them to pop out and there is always some weight on the rear to keep the springs in place.
I have mine on 5 clicks on front and back and I don't have any bouncing issues. I'm still yet to turn them up, which I might do this weekend just to see the difference.

Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1310734
27/01/2012 09:47
27/01/2012 09:47
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Gone
If the springs dislodge when the suspension is on full droop, i.e. jacked up, it will fail the MOT !!

The rear damper should be short enough to prevent that from happening. I had to get Leda to fit a sleeve inside my rears to stop just this after mine failed an MOT on loose rear springs.

Re: Suspension [Re: Jimbo] #1310745
27/01/2012 10:26
27/01/2012 10:26

16veetee
Unregistered
16veetee
Unregistered

If the springs dislodge when the suspension is on full droop, i.e. jacked up, it will fail the MOT !!

The rear damper should be short enough to prevent that from happening. I had to get Leda to fit a sleeve inside my rears to stop just this after mine failed an MOT on loose rear springs.

Jim, the rear damper is height adjustable, this means you can control max droop with it to keep the spring on its base.

I would recommend putting as many of the OE rubber seat protection items back on as you can, I'm hoping BC are now supplying a plastic washer as a spring base, but can't see it in the pic. If they aren't they need reminding.

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1310752
27/01/2012 10:45
27/01/2012 10:45

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

It was reading your review Begbie that I started on five clicks, but I was getting a second bounce. Also, you mentioning how you were not happy about the way the spring sat, when I experienced the same I thought 'that must be what he was referring to!'
Before turning up to a firmer setting on the rear I did try and adjust the length of the damper, jacking up the arm to take the weight but I couldn't get the ring to budge. Especially with the petrol tank side you can only put your hand up there. I think unless someone knows better that they may have to be removed to alter the length?
Maybe they could just be undone from the arm end to adjust.

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1310753
27/01/2012 10:48
27/01/2012 10:48

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted By: 16veetee

Jim, the rear damper is height adjustable, this means you can control max droop with it to keep the spring on its base.

I would recommend putting as many of the OE rubber seat protection items back on as you can, I'm hoping BC are now supplying a plastic washer as a spring base, but can't see it in the pic. If they aren't they need reminding.

No washer.

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1310878
27/01/2012 17:20
27/01/2012 17:20

S
sediciRich
Unregistered
sediciRich
Unregistered
S

Same as Jim, my AST's needs a shim to stop the droop - personally I think they should have made them a lot shorter.

Begbie there wont be weight on the spring if you go round a corner on 3 wheels which is normal for a FWD being driven hard - I know you're a bit soft though wink

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1312073
30/01/2012 21:57
30/01/2012 21:57

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

Thought I would take another look at how the rear springs fitted.

Although being a novice, my conclusion is the springs are too short to fit the Coupe.

The damper. Yes, the dampers body is adjustable but I thought it was not the job of the damper to ‘retain’ (arm droop) the spring in place by being shorter although, it would do this if it was possible to shorten the damper body enough which you can’t! I did shorten it in situ but only by a couple of mm’s. I decided to take the damper off the car to see better the travel and if I had missed something obvious. The damper can extend a hell of a lot but, at its shortest length it’s still woefully too long to stop the ‘droop’.

The spring. In my pics of the springs and damper you can see how much shorter the BC spring is with cup. I know this is irrelevant when off the car, but is a lot shorter if you think when removing a normal spring you need to use clamps. The BC are also one coil shorter than the D2 ones, which is about the measurement in my opinion it needs, one more coil. I am talking about physical differences/lengths and not spring rates etc.

I explained on the phone to Eddie at AE, he is hopefully going to ask BC for info.

Bit of a shame if I have to put my normal springs on to get through the MOT in a months time!

Anyone have any ideas or can point out the blindingly obvious and make me look stupid would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1312077
30/01/2012 22:04
30/01/2012 22:04

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

Pic of how it sits when car is jacked up. click to enlarge
Spring ref. click to enlarge
D2 spring on Johnny20vt thread.

Last edited by dlongstaff; 31/01/2012 15:33. Reason: forgot that the pic of the spring was with the wheel off. so that is minus the wheel weight
Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1312290
31/01/2012 15:57
31/01/2012 15:57

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

Following a phone conversation/s this morning, the spring fitment is how it is. Anyone who has fitted the kit or who will in future feedback would be appreciated by the seller and myself.

As the original lower rubber rings raised wall does not fit inside the threaded BC threaded cup, it suddenly became obvious to me that the solution would be to cut the wall flush and the threaded cup would sit on this. By using the same sized ring, the same could be done for the spring to sit on the top of the cup.

I am googling for poly suitable alternatives. Anyone who can give me a heads up on this and who the person was on here who was involved in poly bush manufacture, I would be grateful.

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1312292
31/01/2012 16:03
31/01/2012 16:03

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

Just found him, its Ferrarist. Unless someone knows of another. Ta

Re: Suspension [Re: ] #1312305
31/01/2012 16:47
31/01/2012 16:47
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Gone
I've run the FK rear spring platform which is identical to this for around 5 years, there is no need for a lower rubber spring base, it's fine just sitting on the collar.

In its present state though, that will fail an MOT!

You will need to shorted the rear damper to prevent the spring lifting off the lower platform.

Page 1 of 2 1 2