» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 363 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,600
Posts1,341,110
Members1,802
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,553
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,300
PeteP 21,512
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,788
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Patch's 'The red devil' Plus Project #1295689
08/12/2011 18:29
08/12/2011 18:29

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P

I'm bored tonight, still two weeks till I return to the UK. So I thought I'd start my latest project thread now as the car is currently being worked on by Joe at FCSS

Colour - Speed Red
Model - Plus
Mileage - 112,000
Service History to date - Full

Car bought from a forum member, the spec was pretty good to start with, including....

- Standard airbox with twin intake and K&N panel filter
- Superspool Turbo Fitted by Joe May this year – newly refurbed with warranty.
- L&M Uprated sidemount intercooler. Fitted by Joe
- Supersprint exhaust and sports Catalytic converter.
- Forge DV0006 uprated re-circulating valve
- Electronic Boost controller – HDI type D (SE)
- Nomad twin pillar pod with silver boost gauge and a blank pod.
- All brake callipers re-furbished with new seals Joe did the front ones
- 3G 20 groove disks front and 10 groove rear Fitted around January this year.
- EBC “Yellow Stuff” front pads – Fiat genuine rear pads. Both fitted this year
- Racing 4.1 DOT brake fluid replaced by Joe
- Lower front Strut brace
- 35mm lowing springs from FCCS group buy –Fitted by Joe
- Silver clock rings
- HIDS fitted, 55W 6000k
- White LED side lights.
- New NGK BKUR 7’s fitted August 2011.
- Fleamap done in September this year - running 285bhp. Three boost settings for Gizmo

Not a bad spec I think you will agree. Onto what work is being carried out on as of this week (w/c 5th Dec 2011) There has been some worrying rust areas found, including a large hole in the spare wheel well.

All this is being addressed and pictures are being taken to document this for me. As with all of my project threads it will be splashed with colour (pictures) as we go along.

Here's what's being done now

- Azev A's powder coated silver
- New Falken 452's fitted - 215/40/17
- Short shift convo
- Complete Galvanized rear sub frame with new bushes
- Galvanized and strengthened front sub frame
- All new brake pipes throughout and high quality braking fluid
- New brake pads front and rear
- Welding various
- Complete underseal
- New 60mm wide band fitted
- Gizmo boost controller fitted into side air vent (driver) if possible
- Becker Stereo
- Rear trailing arms with new bearings (newly refurbed and powder coated)
- Braided oil cooler pipes

Pictures added when I get home - I've not even driven the car yet! laugh

There will be more to come smile

Re: Patch's 'The red devil' Plus Project [Re: ] #1295690
08/12/2011 18:30
08/12/2011 18:30

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P

Discussion thread HERE!!

Re: Patch's 'The red devil' Plus Project [Re: ] #1297593
15/12/2011 07:18
15/12/2011 07:18

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P

Work has started on the car. Joe at FCSS will be carrying out the bulk of the work on her and here's progress to date.

Upon commencing the strip down for the new rear and front subframes Joe came across some worrying things!

Rear of spare wheel well...
click to enlarge click to enlarge

and on inside both rear and one front (I think) wheel arches there was more...
click to enlarge

Then the oil cooler pipes...
click to enlarge

On top of the work already planned, I could see that this car was going to be a very expensive purchase! I bought this on blind faith as I work in Azerbaijan ... I can now see that was a mistake and it's also something I will never do again!

So, the work needed doing and Joe got to it!

Repairing and welding
Rear boot...
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

and the repair process (part finished in photo's)
click to enlarge click to enlarge \

Then there were the other rust areas!
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

and repaired..
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

The car was at this stage stripped of it's under frames (both front and rear)

and new galavanised ones with new bushes (front stitch welded for added strength and improved handling were put on

Old bushes...
click to enlarge

New bushes and frame smile
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

and the front end got some attention to with new galvanised front sub frame, new wishbones, new drop links...

New coppernickel brake pipes were installed for both front and rear (entire system) and rear brake compensator sorted!

The car was then treated to a complete underseal, including under the plastic wheel liners and on the base pan. Don't think this one will be having rust issues under here for some time to come laugh

So, with other bits and bobs being carried out on the car, the work carried out to date is as follows

- Rear sub frame + mounts, clean underseal including under wheel arches

- Front sub frame + new pinch bolts

- New brakes pipes front and rear and millers brake fluid

- New front brake pads (mintex racing MDB1877 M-series)

- Remove, clean and rebuild rear callipers etc, pads in fair condition so refitted

- Welding work to chassis rails and boot area

- Clean and Underseal main floor etc.

- Change pillar pod for single (was double)

- Stereo (Becker) awaiting fitting

- Rear trailing arms new bearings

- Oil cooler pipes fitted, original oil cooler removed from pipes and refitted

- Remove rad, heat sheild etc to gain access to resolve oil leak from exhaust manifold studs, rebuild

- Millers oil and filter

- 1x rear wheel bearing

- New Wishbones

- New Drop links

- New Front ARB bushes

To be carried out.....

Short shift conversion
Relocate Gizmo boost controller
Fit new gloss black Mille alloy wheels (bought from Leon)

I therefore have a set of 17" Azev A alloys for sale laugh Changed my mind about these smile

The car will also receive a thorough and complete detail upon my return to the UK, including engine bay.

Work on making the engine bay like new will commence in the new year.

I think that's it for now? I don't think I really want to talk about the amount of money spent so far!!

HUGE thanks to Joe and Dan at FCSS for their labours so far thumb

Re: Patch's 'The red devil' Plus Project [Re: ] #1300077
24/12/2011 20:33
24/12/2011 20:33

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P

Well, had my first drive in the car last night and Wow! She's a sweet little driver, actually its the best drive I've had in one. The subframe/wishbone and bush update has transformed my thoughts on handling and my confidence in these cars.

She really seems to go around the corners on rails. Very, very happy. The car has a great punch to it and the engine is sweet sounding. Overall, the love of just going out in these cars has thumped home once more. love

And all this without yet having the wheels laser tracked and aligned yet - waiting for some new wheels I bought before doing this! I wonder where they could be? chinny

This afternoon I did a bit of tinkering too, cleaned and clay bar'd. Interior completely detailed and leather treated. I also fitted a 'flocked' dash in as the original had a few marks around the base of the stereo. Actually, I cleared out the garage and found the dash in a box along with a autoDS MS spoiler laugh - the dash is something I bought a long time ago and forgot about. I'm really liking the look of it fitted. Looks beautiful!

Fitted some centre dash rings, a new stereo with ipod nano connection, removed all the old and tatty window stickers, put in my new 'FCC' tax disk holder (just renewed the membership smile ) put in some new front sidelight bulbs and generally enjoyed tinkering once again.

Car is now covered and awaiting a trip to Wales on Boxing day smile

Re: Patch's 'The red devil' Plus Project [Re: ] #1300514
27/12/2011 17:39
27/12/2011 17:39

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P

Moving along a little now, it's so good to be home again and tinkering - or fiddling as Joe at FCSS would say to me laugh

Here's the new flocked dash, looking very smart and none fussy..

With the stereo, nowadays all you need is a Aux function, cd's are a thing of the past! The ipod nano makes a great 'non intrusive' gadget, so I fitted mine with some 'super stength' velcro to a suitable place. Which I think actually enhances the dash a little. It can be controlled from both the stereo and the ipod itself (I can see it clearly) so tunes a plenty for me smile

Here's the picks
First the location ... can you see it laugh
click to enlarge

Then I bought a small lead - the white one that comes with the ipod is too long and too white!
click to enlarge

Then finally, here is some picks of the car, Joe sprayed the wing mirrors and cups for me (gloss black) just waiting for the gloss black wheels to arrive now and all will be well

More later laugh

Re: Patch's 'The red devil' Plus Project [Re: ] #1301636
31/12/2011 13:42
31/12/2011 13:42

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P

Visited Joe yesterday. Had a little mooch and got my old wheels back from my Broomer then had them fitted...

then, my new wheels turned up this morning. Only 2 weeks late and chipped to after being thrown around by couriers for the above length of time! As you can imagine, I can fix them though.

Here's the satin black 20VT wheels fitted

Lovely...

Also fitted a water expansion tank I cleaned up
click to enlarge

and a 'chav level 3' atoms DV
click to enlarge

Whoops, nearly forgot, put on some 5mm spacers on the rear wheels to push them out a little..I'm loving these wheels on the car..

Still not managed to find the time to mop the car yet! Don't think I will now either as I'm returning to Eastern Europe on the 7th for another year of hell!

Last edited by patch234; 01/01/2012 11:19.
Re: Patch's 'The red devil' Plus Project [Re: ] #1302106
02/01/2012 17:04
02/01/2012 17:04

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P

Finally got a chance to detail the paintwork today. So out with the mop it was....

Process,

Wash / Dry / Clay / Wipe down / Mop (3M polish, Hexlogic pads and Flex mop) / IPA wipedown / Application of Liquid Crystal to wheels and body work / Application of Liquid Carnauba / Finishing wipe down

Not the most intensive mopping I have done but enough to get the job finished with the time I had.

The car had been polished frequently with 'Back to Red' type dyed polish this hid a number of blemishes and scratches. It also ruined my pads (see products picture and look at the pads! I constantly needed to clean them. The car looks much better now, there is actually no need to use these coloured polishes as the mop restores the lacquer and colour. Bloody useless stuff!

Anyways, here's a few shots. Next time I am home I am going to do a wet sanding process that actually gives a better finish than mopping. Just not enough time this time around.

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

click to enlarge