» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Sedicivalvole), 272 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,618
Posts1,341,272
Members1,804
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,565
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,301
PeteP 21,520
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,820
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: changing final drive expensive? [Re: Trappy] #1317721
19/02/2012 10:37
19/02/2012 10:37

S
sediciRich
Unregistered
sediciRich
Unregistered
S

Quote:

Let me ask 'the rest of the world on here' to provide one shred of evidence that shorter gearing actually provides faster acceleration.

Honza did just that.

Quote:
Subsequent columns within the spreadsheet then tally up how far the car travels during this speed increase increment (using the forumlas you posted) and give me the full picture. I can then interrorgate the columns to bring back any metric I want (distance traveled at x speed, speed at x distance, time to reach x speed and so on).

so confirm to calculate the time it takes to go 1-30 you are using the value you have for acceleration available at 1mph and are using that rate as the average acceleration for the speed change of 29mph to derive a time.

Of course you could just mail me the sheet and I'll answer this myself if thats easier.

Last edited by sediciRich; 19/02/2012 11:29.
Re: changing final drive expensive? [Re: barnacle] #1317726
19/02/2012 12:07
19/02/2012 12:07
Essex
Trappy Offline
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline
Forum is my life

Essex
Originally Posted By: barnacle
Oh I do *love* an argument where people are so fiercely agreeing with each other!

I've been wondering if this was the case for a bit now...

Here's the short and nasty: if you increase the final drive ratio (i.e. more teeth on the pinion or fewer teeth on the crown wheel), without making *any other change*, your vehicle will accelerate more quickly in all gears but will have a lower top speed (limited by engine maximum revs). If you reduce it, the opposite effect will occur. This is exactly the same effect as putting smaller or larger tyres on, respectively.

The closer the gearbox ratios are, the nearer the peak power you will be when you change and the more power you will deliver to the wheels, and therefore the greater the acceleration (ignoring such delights as the absolute number of gears in the box, the time it takes to change between them, the physical momentum of the engine parts, friction losses in the box etc).

You see I believe these two statements are conflicting. By increasing the final drive, you will not only be decreasing the time to get to the peak power in thenext gear, you are also decreasing the time it takes to pass it.

One final thought: it's quite possible to get the seemingly contradictory position that decreasing the final drive ratio will *reduce* the top speed... maximum speed when maximum power is transferred to the wheels. You'd expect this to be the engine's peak power, but consider this scenario: at any speed on the road, what is holding you back is the friction with the road surface and the aerodynamic friction (form drag). Form drag is proportional to the square of the wind-speed, so ignoring tyre friction you need four times the power to go twice the speed. It's quite possible to gear the engine such that at a given speed, the power required to accelerate is more than the engine is capable of supplying at that instant, even though the engine is capable of delivering more power. This is why some cars with a long top gear are faster in the gear below...

It's also possible for this to happen in gears shorter than the top gear to a lesser degree. Sometimes a car will have passed the peak power and be on the tail end of the power curve when the next available gear can supply more power before reaching the redline. Here we have the need for a short shift though it's not as clear-cut as the instantaneous cross-over point; the time to change gear needs to be factored in to see if it's effective... that took some doing on the spreadsheet!

Originally Posted By: sediciRich

so confirm to calculate the time it takes to go 1-30 you are using the value you have for acceleration available at 1mph and are using that rate as the average acceleration for the speed change of 29mph to derive a time.

To calculate the time it takes to go from 0-30mph, I am calculating the time to go from every 0.1mph increment from 0.1 to 30mph.

Of course you could just mail me the sheet and I'll answer this myself if thats easier.

I've left my portable hardrive at work (out on the lash Frday night and it bores people in the pub on a laptop) but will happily send it over in the week. I'm going to have to do a little work on tidying it up and using some headings/ descriptions to make it clearer because it's just a page of numbers at the moment and a lot of it isn't relevant to this discussion.

I'll also use it to see how it covers the 3-speed vs 6-speed argument posed in the website as all the data is there for it to calculate the comparison. PM me your email and I'll send it over with a covering email to make it clearer.

F****** b****** thing...
Re: changing final drive expensive? [Re: ] #1317727
19/02/2012 12:10
19/02/2012 12:10

D
doug20vt
Unregistered
doug20vt
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted By: doug20vt
looking at the whole speed range of the coupe and comparing accelerative ability of 2 identical coupe's, one with shorter gearing (15% shorter)and one standard

standard vs shorter gearing (per 1000rpm)
1st 6 vs 5.1
2nd 10 vs 8.5
3rd 15 vs 12.75
4th 20 vs 17
5th 25 vs 21.25

looking at the speeds from 1000rpm to 7000rpm in each gear
with the shortened ratios the coupe can accelerate to 35.7mph in 1st before it needs a change to second so from 0mph to 35.7mph it will accelerate faster than the standard coupe

from 35.8mph to 42mph the standard coupe will accelerate quicker as it will stay in 1st

so in first the shorter geared coupe can accelerate quicker for the first 36mph then the standard coupe is quicker for 6mph

from 42mph to 59.5 the shorter geared coupe will accelerate faster, an increment of 17.5mph

after which point it will require a change to 3rd so the standard coupe will be quicker from 59.6mph to 70mph as it can stay in 2nd, an increment of 10mph

from 70mph to 89.25mph the shorter geared coupe will be faster again over a 19mph increment

i don't know about anyone else but i spend 99% of my driving below 90mph and from 0mph to 90mph the shorter geared coupe will be faster over 72mph of that speed range hence making it usefully faster in everyday situations

if you want to continue to expand the comparison to almost max speed then from 89.26mph to 105mph the standard geared coupe will be faster by virtue of the shorter geared coupe having to change in to 4th, an increment of 16mph

the short geared coupe is then faster over the increment of 105mph to 119mph, an increment of 14mph before it has to change in to 5th allowing the standard geared coupe to be faster from 119mph to 140mph an increment of 21mph

therefore from a total of 0 to 140mph the shorted geared coupe can accelerate faster between speed ranges 0 to 36mph (36), 42 to 59mph (19), 71 to 89mph (18) and 106mph to 119mph (13) giving a total of 86mph over which it will accelerate quicker

with the standard gear coupe able to accelerate quicker from 36 to 42mph (7), 59 to 70mph (11), 89 to 105mph (16) and 120 to 140mph(20) giving a total of 54mph over which it can accelerate quicker,

20mph of that increment being over 120mph which really is of no consequence in the real world

so basically the higher the speed the less impact the shorter gearing has, in fact over 120mph due to the standard coupe's gearing it will be quicker after this speed, so if you live in Germany and regularly use the autoban then stick with the standard gearing as it will likely be quicker, if however you live in the uk and drive normally the shorter geared coupe will be quicker in everyday driving

trappy given the above is a fact, can you explain how up to 120mph given that the shorted geared coupe can accelerate faster over 86mph of increments against the longer geared coupe's 34mph of increments, how it wouldn't be quicker

Re: changing final drive expensive? [Re: ] #1317728
19/02/2012 12:16
19/02/2012 12:16
Essex
Trappy Offline
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline
Forum is my life

Essex

trappy given the above is a fact, can you explain how up to 120mph given that the shorted geared coupe can accelerate faster over 86mph of increments against the longer geared coupe's 34mph of increments, how it wouldn't be quicker

Because 'having shorter gear ratios' doesn't mean you accelerate faster. The only thing pushing your car forwards is the power at a given time.

Here's a fact;
*200wbhp at 60mph in 5th gear will give the same acceleration as 200wbhp at 60mph in 2nd gear*

F****** b****** thing...
Re: changing final drive expensive? [Re: Trappy] #1317729
19/02/2012 12:21
19/02/2012 12:21

S
sediciRich
Unregistered
sediciRich
Unregistered
S

To calculate the time it takes to go from 0-30mph, I am calculating the time to go from every 0.1mph increment from 0.1 to 30mph.

I've left my portable hardrive at work (out on the lash Frday night and it bores people in the pub on a laptop) but will happily send it over in the week. I'm going to have to do a little work on tidying it up and using some headings/ descriptions to make it clearer because it's just a page of numbers at the moment and a lot of it isn't relevant to this discussion.

I'll also use it to see how it covers the 3-speed vs 6-speed argument posed in the website as all the data is there for it to calculate the comparison. PM me your email and I'll send it over with a covering email to make it clearer. [/quote]
------------------------------------------------------
thanks when you are ready I'll PM a mail address

Last edited by sediciRich; 19/02/2012 12:22.
Re: changing final drive expensive? [Re: Trappy] #1317740
19/02/2012 13:24
19/02/2012 13:24

D
doug20vt
Unregistered
doug20vt
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted By: Trappy

Because 'having shorter gear ratios' doesn't mean you accelerate faster. The only thing pushing your car forwards is the power at a given time.

Here's a fact;
*200wbhp at 60mph in 5th gear will give the same acceleration as 200wbhp at 60mph in 2nd gear*

of course shorter gear ratios means you accelerate faster, you accelerate faster in 2nd than you do in 5th, why, because the gear ratio is shorter, the power from the engine hasn't changed, the only thing that has changed is the gearing and as the wbhp constantly changes you have to look at it over the entire rpm range

Re: changing final drive expensive? [Re: ] #1317751
19/02/2012 14:01
19/02/2012 14:01
Essex
Trappy Offline
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline
Forum is my life

Essex

of course shorter gear ratios means you accelerate faster, you accelerate faster in 2nd than you do in 5th, why, because the gear ratio is shorter, the power from the engine hasn't changed, the only thing that has changed is the gearing and as the wbhp constantly changes you have to look at it over the entire rpm range

You accelerate faster through second gear for two reasons.

One, the force generated by the same amount of power differs because of this formula;

Accelerative Force(lbs)= 375*(wbhp/mph)

*The same amount of power at different speeds give a different amount of force*

Two, aerodynamic drag in 5th gear is a LOT more than it is in second gear when you're using the same part of the powerband (say at 5750rpm in both gears).

You can therefore state that accelerative force(lbs)=
375*((wbhp-drag)/mph)

F****** b****** thing...
Re: changing final drive expensive? [Re: ] #1318799
23/02/2012 05:28
23/02/2012 05:28
Melbourne, Australia
Scuderia Offline
My life on the forum
Scuderia  Offline
My life on the forum

Melbourne, Australia
Where are we with this discussion?

I have read the thread again and have come to the conclusion that the formula Trappy has used is sound. But I believe there maybe some false data lurking in his excel sheet. Maybe as a result of some false assumptions.

I say this due to the example Trappy gave on page 3. The example shows 2 gear boxes where 5 of the gears in each box actually have the same ratios. However Trappy seems to imply the ratios are different.

Re: changing final drive expensive? [Re: Scuderia] #1319112
23/02/2012 20:41
23/02/2012 20:41
Essex
Trappy Offline
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline
Forum is my life

Essex
It's on on one page for me, but I presume you are referring to the following post?

Quote:
Instead, consider this to see just how ridiculous the notion that shorter ratios improve acceleration is...

Car A has ratios that yield the following speeds;
1st: 41
2nd: 70
3rd: 103
4th: 135
5th: 171

Car B has ratios that yield the following speeds;
1st: 28
2nd: 41
3rd: 70
4th: 103
5th: 135
6th: 171

The ratios are indeed shorter on Car B... infact they're short enough that they're the same as those on Car A, albeit a gear higher. Do you really think Car B would be faster than Car A? wink

My point was that Car B has (for all intents and purposes) a closer ratio'd gearbox because every equivilent gear is shorter or has a different ratio to the same gear on Car A.

What I was highlighting (in a slightly exaggerated way), was that this change to all ratios makes no difference what-so-ever to the performance.

Back to the thread, I was going to send the spreadsheet on but haven't found the time at work (after hours) and haven't been at home long enough to tidy the spreadsheet up. I'm working on it though; it's a lot more complicated than I recall and I'm, at times, struggling to work out what most of it actually does! It's only through deleting code that I can see what metric it works out when it returns an error...

F****** b****** thing...
Re: changing final drive expensive? [Re: Trappy] #1319139
23/02/2012 22:59
23/02/2012 22:59

D
doug20vt
Unregistered
doug20vt
Unregistered
D

change to all ratios makes no difference what-so-ever to the performance.

i am not going to argue this point anymore as i am happy to agree to differ, all i would say is that i haven't relied on any spreadsheet or equations rather i have done it the old fashioned way and actually made the change to my car and after doing it the car is definately faster

Re: changing final drive expensive? [Re: Trappy] #1319156
24/02/2012 00:04
24/02/2012 00:04
Melbourne, Australia
Scuderia Offline
My life on the forum
Scuderia  Offline
My life on the forum

Melbourne, Australia
It's on on one page for me, but I presume you are referring to the following post?

My point was that Car B has (for all intents and purposes) a closer ratio'd gearbox because every equivilent gear is shorter or has a different ratio to the same gear on Car A.

Maybe this is just a poor example but,

The OVERALL gear ratios to the ground in 5 of the gears are not shorter in your example. Please understand that concept, they are exactly the same, only the position of the gear stick will be different when driving.

Re: changing final drive expensive? [Re: ] #1319157
24/02/2012 00:06
24/02/2012 00:06
Melbourne, Australia
Scuderia Offline
My life on the forum
Scuderia  Offline
My life on the forum

Melbourne, Australia

Here is an example where car B has shorter ratios than car A

Car A has ratios that yield the following speeds at redline;

1st: 41
2nd: 70
3rd: 103
4th: 135
5th: 171

Car B has ratios that yield the following speeds at redline;

1st: 37
2nd: 63
3rd: 93
4th: 121
5th: 154

All I have done is made Car B 10% shorter than Car A

Note, not only are the speeds lower in each gear but the key is the difference between each gear is also smaller, thats where the nomenclature "shorter" comes from.

Lets assume our engine has a flat torque curve and a linear power curve, maximum power is achieved at redline. (i.e. a good NA engine)

Accelerating from 0-154 will involve the same number of gear changes and if we discount any traction problems or wind resistance etc, car B will reach 37 at red line, it has already extracted a full power sweep, while car A will reach 37 at less than redline, i.e. not yet extracting as much power. By 63 car B has extracted 2 power sweeps, but car A has not, in fact engine speed will be even lower than it was in the compareson of 1st gear. The problem for car A is going to compounded, every gear RPM is falling behind car B to a higher extent. When they reach 154, car B has extracted more power from the engne than car A.

Re: changing final drive expensive? [Re: Scuderia] #1319446
25/02/2012 00:00
25/02/2012 00:00

T
tricky
Unregistered
tricky
Unregistered
T

Rev drop, I have this calculator saved on my desktop I find it very good at showing speed vs ratio and rev drop at redline, well worth downloading for anyone interested.

You will need some kind of spreadsheet program (excel etc) for it to work.

Calculator

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4