» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dimitrie, french_coupe), 60 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,600
Posts1,341,122
Members1,802
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,556
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,300
PeteP 21,513
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,789
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
(very long) Film review: The dark knight rises #1363067
26/07/2012 23:32
26/07/2012 23:32
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline OP
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline OP
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
Warning - spoilers follow. If you're planning to go and see this film then you might be best skipping this thread.

Anyway, the missus and I went to see The dark knight rises last night. I've quite enjoyed Nolan's previous two outings with the caped crusader, especially The dark knight, even though I'm not particularly a Batman fan.

There is a lot that's good about this film; the acting is of a high standard throughout, the visual set-pieces are stunning, Bane is an excellent villain and I really have grown fond of Bale's Batman, even with the 60-a-day voice.

In fact there's only one thing wrong with this film, unfortunately that one thing is the script, which is a huge mash-up of lazy writing, glaring plot holes and stuff that happens for no discernible reason.

To give you an example of how bad this is, let me walk you through the villains' plan:

Objective: Complete the League of Shadows' plan to blow up Gotham city, started in Batman Begins, despite the facts that the two main baddies were expelled from the League because its leader couldn't stand the sight of the disfigured Bane and that the League's plan was based on Gotham being irredeemably wicked, whereas this film starts after it has seen an 8 year dearth of crime, with Batman retired and everybody involved in organised crime unconstitutionally locked up for ever.

Also, torture Batman by physically breaking him and then letting him watch his beloved city tearing itself apart and then getting blown up.

OK, they're rubbish objectives, but let's go with it. How, oh how, are the baddies going to pull off this audacious scheme?

Step 1: Read an article by a distinguished nuclear physicist, which says that it's possible to turn a (theoretical) fusion reactor into a nuclear bomb. Decide to capture said scientist, but not by just kidnapping him - no, indeed. Instead you wait until the CIA are about to pick him up (presumably to avoid his dangerous knowledge of how to turn a nuclear reactor, which doesn't exist, into a bomb from falling into the wrong hands) then you *pretend* to be kidnapping him and let yourself be captured so that you can perform a mid-air attack on the CIA plan and make it look like everybody aboard died.

Step 2: Build a huge network of bases and other gubbins in Gotham's sewers, using cement laced with explosives. Don't worry about anybody noticing, or one of your army of construction workers grassing you up, it's bound to be fine. Make sure that your central base is directly beneath the secret R&D depot that supplies Batman's kit, even though the films suggest that all of the people who know the location of said depot are very, very loyal to Bruce Wayne.

Step 3a: To get your hands on this nuclear reactor (which has been built by Wayne Enterprises, although the company has told everybody that it doesn't work) you hire an extremely volatile cat burglar to break in to Bruce Wayne's mansion and lift a set of his fingerprints. You then try to double-cross said cat burglar on payment for same, despite the fact that she's needed later in your plan.

Step 3b: Now you need to find out where the reactor is, because this is, apparently, a much more closely guarded secret than than the secret R&D facility. You'd think that, even in America, if a private company were building a nuclear reactor they'd have to tell a bunch of people where it was. I can't imagine that you just fill in an on-line form, application to build huge nuclear reactor, pay your $10 licence fee and then get a pop-up box saying, "You are now licensed to build a nuclear reactor. Please be careful to ensure that nobody turns it into a bomb".
Anyway, the obvious way to get your hands on this reactor is bring the multi-billion dollar industry, Wayne Enterprises, to its knees, so that they have to call in outside help, tell them where the reactor is and that it works.
To do this, you stage a hugely public invasion of the Gotham stock exchange, use Bruce Wayne's fingerprints (see step 3a) to invest all of Wayne Enterprise's money into unwise gambles on the futures market and while the programme to do this is running (it takes 8 minutes, apparently) leave the safety of the stock exchange, where you have literally hundreds of hostages, to make a break for freedom on dirt bikes (that every stock exchange keeps handy for such occasions).
By the next morning not only is Wayne Enterprises on its knees and ripe for a corporate take-over, but Bruce Wayne is also personally bankrupt.
This, for me, was one of the stupidest parts of the film, for so many reasons. The principle one is that since Batman Begins Wayne Enterprises has been a publicly listed company and Bruce Wayne isn't even on the board of directors (both of these points are re-stated in this film, so it's not like they've ret-conned it), so how exactly is he authorised to directly invest billions of the company's money on the stock exchange? Anyway, I'll not get too obsessed with this one scene (or that the writers apparently don't know what the first word in "Futures market" means or what the first two words in "Limited liability company" are about). On with the plan...

Step 4: Use the cat burglar you double-crossed in step 3a to bring Batman to you, so you can beat him up and break his spine over your knee. Then show him how you can now break into his R&D centre and steal his secret military grade weapons. Then put him in a jail with a proven escape route, sharing a cell with the two people in there who know how to repair him, physically and mentally, but without, say, any guards who can break his legs if he tries to escape.
Fixing the broken back is comical - the doctor tells Bruce that one of his vertebrae is protruding and then delivers a medically precise cloud9 in the back, and, hey presto, one un-broken back. Why are all of the doctors of this calibre hanging around in filthy jails in undisclosed foreign locations?

Step 5: Having got the reactor and the scientist who knows how to turn it into a bomb kidnap three members of the board of Wayne Enterprises, because their palm-prints are required to start the reactor (which must be a bugger when you're trying to test it). Once they've started it get your scientist to turn it into a bomb. Don't worry that he might refuse or, more likely, that he's a *theoretical* physicist working on a reactor that he's never seen before and presumably (a) he doesn't know how it works, (b) his theories have never been tested before and (c) nobody there can tell if he's really made a bomb or just pressed a few buttons and told you it's done.

Step 6: Take the reactor core (which is now, maybe, a bomb) out of the reactor. When the scientist tells you that this will cause it to become unstable and explode casually tell him that, according to your calculations, this will happen in 5 months. Don't worry that you're a trained assassin, not a trained nuclear scientist because the core helpfully has a red LED countdown clock on anyway - a feature common to all nuclear reactors.

Step 7: Wait for Gotham to send *every single* policeman in the city down into the sewers to look for you. It might be a bit of a wait, as you've already tried to assassinate the only policeman who knows you're down there, but them's the risks. When they're all down the sewers detonate your explosives, trapping them there and also collapsing a football pitch for reasons best described as "It looks cool". Also blow up all but one of the bridges. Give the people of Gotham a half-arsed speech about how you've liberated them and the city is now theirs, but if any of them try to leave then an unnamed citizen, to whom you've entrusted the trigger to bomb, will blow it up.

Step 8: Tell the military (outside the city) that if anybody crosses the one remaining bridge the bomb will be detonated. Don't mention all of the boats clearly seen on the shores of Gotham/Manhattan.

Step 9: Release and arm all of the members of organised crime who were locked up, trusting that they'll want to serve in your militia.

Step 10: Drive the bomb round and round the city in one of three identical trucks, with a lead shielded roof, so that overhead units can't detect the radioactivity from the bomb (do fusion reactors give off radioactivity?), but don't lead-line the rest of the truck (because, by now, the budget must be getting pretty low), so that the bomb can be detected from street level.

Step 11: Wait 5 months for the people of Gotham to form a new society, which seems to consist mainly of turfing the rich out of their homes, putting them on trial for being rich and then making them try to walk to freedom over a frozen river.

Step 12: Wait around for the bomb to blow up and kill you.

OK, that was a long rant, but it still barely scratches the surface of how ludicrous this film is. Almost nothing in it makes any sense and the film blatantly relies on you being so mesmerised by the big explosions and the fights that you don't notice you're watching a film where almost every character does the most idiotic thing possible at every step.

If you leave your brain on the popcorn counter you'll love it, but to me it's just stupid. So disappointing after The Dark Knight

Dear monos, a secret truth.
Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: AndrewR] #1363080
27/07/2012 00:14
27/07/2012 00:14
Midlands
Easy Offline
Enjoying the ride
Easy  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Midlands
It sounds worse than Prometheus.

Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: AndrewR] #1363112
27/07/2012 06:46
27/07/2012 06:46
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Gone
How big are the big explosions?

smile

Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: AndrewR] #1363116
27/07/2012 07:44
27/07/2012 07:44
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Quote:
a red LED countdown clock

See, there goes the suspension of disbelief right there... who in their right mind would use LED displays when the much less power-hungry LCD panels are so much easier?

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: barnacle] #1363121
27/07/2012 08:30
27/07/2012 08:30
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Simplicity perhaps? You'll need line drivers and a controller for the LCD if it's bare glass and not a module and also some form of software needs to be written. The LED could just be driven by off the shelf (if there's places that have that sort of stuff on shelves nowadays) logic.

On the subject of films, I went to see Ice Age 4 yesterday. It was OK.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: AndrewR] #1363124
27/07/2012 08:46
27/07/2012 08:46

H
h2ypr
Unregistered
h2ypr
Unregistered
H

Love the review AndrewR.

I personally think the dark knight rises was a good 'watch' but nowhere as clever or as compelling as the dark knight.

However, everyone else seems to think its amazing.

Ross

Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: AndrewR] #1363159
27/07/2012 14:05
27/07/2012 14:05

D
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
D

Thread skipped. Will come back and re-read after 3rd August when we're planning on watching it!

I did watched the new Spiderman film this week, however I feel it did not stimulate me to enough to post a synopsis of sorts on it.

The love interest is nice though love

Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: AndrewR] #1363266
27/07/2012 21:31
27/07/2012 21:31
J
JKD Offline
Forum is my job
JKD  Offline
Forum is my job
J

Originally Posted By: AndrewR
Warning - spoilers follow. If you're planning to go and see this film then you might be best skipping this thread.

Anyway, the missus and I went to see The dark knight rises last night. I've quite enjoyed Nolan's previous two outings with the caped crusader, especially The dark knight, even though I'm not particularly a Batman fan.

There is a lot that's good about this film; the acting is of a high standard throughout, the visual set-pieces are stunning, Bane is an excellent villain and I really have grown fond of Bale's Batman, even with the 60-a-day voice.

In fact there's only one thing wrong with this film, unfortunately that one thing is the script, which is a huge mash-up of lazy writing, glaring plot holes and stuff that happens for no discernible reason.

To give you an example of how bad this is, let me walk you through the villains' plan:

Objective: Complete the League of Shadows' plan to blow up Gotham city, started in Batman Begins, despite the facts that the two main baddies were expelled from the League because its leader couldn't stand the sight of the disfigured Bane and that the League's plan was based on Gotham being irredeemably wicked, whereas this film starts after it has seen an 8 year dearth of crime, with Batman retired and everybody involved in organised crime unconstitutionally locked up for ever.

Also, torture Batman by physically breaking him and then letting him watch his beloved city tearing itself apart and then getting blown up.

OK, they're rubbish objectives, but let's go with it. How, oh how, are the baddies going to pull off this audacious scheme?

Step 1: Read an article by a distinguished nuclear physicist, which says that it's possible to turn a (theoretical) fusion reactor into a nuclear bomb. Decide to capture said scientist, but not by just kidnapping him - no, indeed. Instead you wait until the CIA are about to pick him up (presumably to avoid his dangerous knowledge of how to turn a nuclear reactor, which doesn't exist, into a bomb from falling into the wrong hands) then you *pretend* to be kidnapping him and let yourself be captured so that you can perform a mid-air attack on the CIA plan and make it look like everybody aboard died.

Step 2: Build a huge network of bases and other gubbins in Gotham's sewers, using cement laced with explosives. Don't worry about anybody noticing, or one of your army of construction workers grassing you up, it's bound to be fine. Make sure that your central base is directly beneath the secret R&D depot that supplies Batman's kit, even though the films suggest that all of the people who know the location of said depot are very, very loyal to Bruce Wayne.

Step 3a: To get your hands on this nuclear reactor (which has been built by Wayne Enterprises, although the company has told everybody that it doesn't work) you hire an extremely volatile cat burglar to break in to Bruce Wayne's mansion and lift a set of his fingerprints. You then try to double-cross said cat burglar on payment for same, despite the fact that she's needed later in your plan.

Step 3b: Now you need to find out where the reactor is, because this is, apparently, a much more closely guarded secret than than the secret R&D facility. You'd think that, even in America, if a private company were building a nuclear reactor they'd have to tell a bunch of people where it was. I can't imagine that you just fill in an on-line form, application to build huge nuclear reactor, pay your $10 licence fee and then get a pop-up box saying, "You are now licensed to build a nuclear reactor. Please be careful to ensure that nobody turns it into a bomb".
Anyway, the obvious way to get your hands on this reactor is bring the multi-billion dollar industry, Wayne Enterprises, to its knees, so that they have to call in outside help, tell them where the reactor is and that it works.
To do this, you stage a hugely public invasion of the Gotham stock exchange, use Bruce Wayne's fingerprints (see step 3a) to invest all of Wayne Enterprise's money into unwise gambles on the futures market and while the programme to do this is running (it takes 8 minutes, apparently) leave the safety of the stock exchange, where you have literally hundreds of hostages, to make a break for freedom on dirt bikes (that every stock exchange keeps handy for such occasions).
By the next morning not only is Wayne Enterprises on its knees and ripe for a corporate take-over, but Bruce Wayne is also personally bankrupt.
This, for me, was one of the stupidest parts of the film, for so many reasons. The principle one is that since Batman Begins Wayne Enterprises has been a publicly listed company and Bruce Wayne isn't even on the board of directors (both of these points are re-stated in this film, so it's not like they've ret-conned it), so how exactly is he authorised to directly invest billions of the company's money on the stock exchange? Anyway, I'll not get too obsessed with this one scene (or that the writers apparently don't know what the first word in "Futures market" means or what the first two words in "Limited liability company" are about). On with the plan...

Step 4: Use the cat burglar you double-crossed in step 3a to bring Batman to you, so you can beat him up and break his spine over your knee. Then show him how you can now break into his R&D centre and steal his secret military grade weapons. Then put him in a jail with a proven escape route, sharing a cell with the two people in there who know how to repair him, physically and mentally, but without, say, any guards who can break his legs if he tries to escape.
Fixing the broken back is comical - the doctor tells Bruce that one of his vertebrae is protruding and then delivers a medically precise cloud9 in the back, and, hey presto, one un-broken back. Why are all of the doctors of this calibre hanging around in filthy jails in undisclosed foreign locations?

Step 5: Having got the reactor and the scientist who knows how to turn it into a bomb kidnap three members of the board of Wayne Enterprises, because their palm-prints are required to start the reactor (which must be a bugger when you're trying to test it). Once they've started it get your scientist to turn it into a bomb. Don't worry that he might refuse or, more likely, that he's a *theoretical* physicist working on a reactor that he's never seen before and presumably (a) he doesn't know how it works, (b) his theories have never been tested before and (c) nobody there can tell if he's really made a bomb or just pressed a few buttons and told you it's done.

Step 6: Take the reactor core (which is now, maybe, a bomb) out of the reactor. When the scientist tells you that this will cause it to become unstable and explode casually tell him that, according to your calculations, this will happen in 5 months. Don't worry that you're a trained assassin, not a trained nuclear scientist because the core helpfully has a red LED countdown clock on anyway - a feature common to all nuclear reactors.

Step 7: Wait for Gotham to send *every single* policeman in the city down into the sewers to look for you. It might be a bit of a wait, as you've already tried to assassinate the only policeman who knows you're down there, but them's the risks. When they're all down the sewers detonate your explosives, trapping them there and also collapsing a football pitch for reasons best described as "It looks cool". Also blow up all but one of the bridges. Give the people of Gotham a half-arsed speech about how you've liberated them and the city is now theirs, but if any of them try to leave then an unnamed citizen, to whom you've entrusted the trigger to bomb, will blow it up.

Step 8: Tell the military (outside the city) that if anybody crosses the one remaining bridge the bomb will be detonated. Don't mention all of the boats clearly seen on the shores of Gotham/Manhattan.

Step 9: Release and arm all of the members of organised crime who were locked up, trusting that they'll want to serve in your militia.

Step 10: Drive the bomb round and round the city in one of three identical trucks, with a lead shielded roof, so that overhead units can't detect the radioactivity from the bomb (do fusion reactors give off radioactivity?), but don't lead-line the rest of the truck (because, by now, the budget must be getting pretty low), so that the bomb can be detected from street level.

Step 11: Wait 5 months for the people of Gotham to form a new society, which seems to consist mainly of turfing the rich out of their homes, putting them on trial for being rich and then making them try to walk to freedom over a frozen river.

Step 12: Wait around for the bomb to blow up and kill you.

OK, that was a long rant, but it still barely scratches the surface of how ludicrous this film is. Almost nothing in it makes any sense and the film blatantly relies on you being so mesmerised by the big explosions and the fights that you don't notice you're watching a film where almost every character does the most idiotic thing possible at every step.

If you leave your brain on the popcorn counter you'll love it, but to me it's just stupid. So disappointing after The Dark Knight

Where's Superman during all this?

Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: JKD] #1363335
28/07/2012 01:11
28/07/2012 01:11
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline
Forum veteran

North wales
He fell off a horse, broke his neck and eventually succumbed to his paralysis. Pity he didn't have access to a blind filthy Doctor that's been practicing down a pit where everyone chants "fish fish possum" every time somebody fancies a bit of Wall climbing. Could have popped it back in a jiffy too frown

Coopless!
Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: AndrewR] #1363345
28/07/2012 01:38
28/07/2012 01:38
Inverness Scotland
R
Ryan20VT Offline
Enjoying the ride
Ryan20VT  Offline
Enjoying the ride
R

Inverness Scotland
Hang on a minute, there was me thinking that watching Batman films was a little bit of entertainment and escapism ?
I went tonight and found it enjoyable, flawed and a bit obvious at times but still entertaining, also had a few ariel shots of Inverness ! tongue

Now where did I leave my brain ??

By your command.

Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: AndrewR] #1363364
28/07/2012 09:34
28/07/2012 09:34
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline OP
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline OP
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
No, I agree, and for most films I'm quite happy to suspend my disbelief and just watch the film, but in DKR you're being asked to do this literally every minute as everything in the script is so badly thought out.

I still thought it was a good film, in a visual spectacle sort of way, but with some work on the script it could have been truly brilliant.

Oh, well, maybe they'll do better next time

Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: AndrewR] #1363422
28/07/2012 16:06
28/07/2012 16:06
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
jon13 Offline
Enjoying the ride
jon13  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Trowbridge,Wiltshire
You should get into film writing Andrew

Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: AndrewR] #1363502
29/07/2012 01:22
29/07/2012 01:22
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline OP
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline OP
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
Thanks, Jon, I'm sure that Hollywood is crying out for scripts from nobodies from Northumberland. Perhaps I'll move to LA and wait table while I circulate my screenplay smile

In a footnote to this thread: tonight, with my wife on night-shift, I re-watched another Nolan and Bale collaboration, The Prestige.

To my mind this is one of the best films of the past 10 years; intelligent, insightful, clever and beautifully scripted, yet done on a fraction of the budget of DKR, and without the attendant hype.

Why can't we have more films of this calibre? Is it (sadly) the case that a $100m+ budget and a superhero's name sell more tickets, irrespective of the tripe that is being passed off as a script?

Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: AndrewR] #1363565
29/07/2012 11:55
29/07/2012 11:55
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
jon13 Offline
Enjoying the ride
jon13  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Trowbridge,Wiltshire
You never know it could all work out for you If you were to move.Your story of the whole transition could become a massive hit. tongue

Aaah the prestige...very good film,however very predictable I found..As was The DKR....but hey even though both films are based on fiction I still enjoyed the escapism of it all.I find I stop enjoying fantasy films if I try to analyse everything within the plot as well as incidents,comments and actions not being factually correct.Still also got to remember that The DKR is also rated 12A....Do kids focus on the details as much as us adults?

Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: AndrewR] #1365206
04/08/2012 16:00
04/08/2012 16:00

T
Truffle
Unregistered
Truffle
Unregistered
T

I avoided this thread for obvious reasons until i had watched the film, which I did last night.

Whilst, as said, it's a good watch, it's not on par with the first two Batman's.

My complaints are as follows:

For me the main issue was time. The film seems to have such a loose relationship with it, it is almost laughable. To start with, Batman, out of the game for years, and badly injured, needing a cane to stand up, somehow hasn't lost any muscularity whatsoever, and with a knee support, is back up again at 100%.

At other times he is transported across the globe in the blink of an eye, and then returns to Gotham in the same frame and appears downtown, despite the fact that he, only 2 seconds ago, was in the middle of nowhere, with no money, food, water etc, and he's managed to cross the globe and stroll straight into a completely cut off city which no-one else can get into or out of.

Finally, and i'm going to spoil the ending here, so stop reading if you really dont want to know...

He supposedly pilots the Bat, ejects, and then uses the autopilot on the Bat to get the bomb away, yet at 4 seconds to go before detonation, we still see him at the controls. So he must have ejected into the sea which was promptly boiled by the nuclear explosion.

Another plot hole is with the Bat itself, apparently it is a one-off, we can rightly assume this by the fact that Bane has access to the secret arsenal, and yet only uses the Tumblers. But at the end of the film Fox is talking to his engineers infront of another 'Bat' asking about the autopilot.

Why didn't Bane use it if he had one?

On the upside:

The characterisation of Catwoman and Robin was excellent. Where previous Batman films have failed to introduce new characters well, Nolan has done so excellently. At no point in the film were Catwoman or Robin directly referred to by their titles but you knew from the moment you saw them that that is who they were.

The ending. When I was watching the film I was horrified that they were going to end it by basically saying "only a nuclear blast can kill Batman". Thankfully they didn't do this, and the continuation of the Batman legacy was a nice touch and, again, done excellently. So i ended up quite pleased with the ending.

However, i'm not sure that Alfred, having just lost the last person he cared for, would decide that then was the right time to go on his usual summer vacation.

Oh and as for the 'punch to the spine to cure your ills' complaint. I have it on good authority that this is the exact method practised on the NHS.

Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: AndrewR] #1365389
05/08/2012 21:12
05/08/2012 21:12

D
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
D

My post contains spoilers.

On the subject of time, didn't the Police all look in pretty fine form when they escaped from the sewers even though they'd been stuff down their for months. It seems on that fishing line they were able to send down razors and clothes irons and all sorts.

I'm not sure why they tied rope around the people trying to escape the prison, as wouldn't falling that height probably kill you anyway as the rope tightened at the bottom of the huge fall?

Who exactly did Liam Neeson go back to the prison to rescue, if the one person he owed anything to for protecting his daughter, was too ugly to be saved?

Don't people know that to get across ice you should lay flat so as to spread your weight?

I don't know why Alfred was apologising to Bruce Wayne's parents' graves for letting them down. After all Bruce had just saved millions of people from blowing up.

How did Bane eat? laugh

I had no idea that was going to be Robin. Apart from being on the ball he didn't show any super-hero potential to me.

Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: ] #1365433
06/08/2012 00:04
06/08/2012 00:04
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline OP
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline OP
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
Originally Posted By: DanielTheManual
I had no idea that was going to be Robin. Apart from being on the ball he didn't show any super-hero potential to me.

He made the connection between the cement trucks and the explosives after seeing the truck outside the stock exchange ... even though there was absolutely no reason for it to be there!

Honestly, could they have made a lazier job of plotting this film?

Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: AndrewR] #1365625
06/08/2012 19:31
06/08/2012 19:31

N
Nievelc
Unregistered
Nievelc
Unregistered
N

***Spoiler***

One last gripe!

Bruce Wayne comes from a past where he threw himself to the bottom of society and trained to become an elite member of the league of shadows and ultimately destroying the compound after he discovers their nasty secrets.

In the Dark Knight rises we first meet Bruce Wayne in his mansion, border line geriatric with a limp and a stick. He wants nothing to do with Batman and after being robbed by cat woman and some persuasion Master Bruce decides he needs to get the cape back on. At this point I expected a montage of him using his grit determination to get himself back up fighting fit to some kind of shape, but no.

He puts on a special knee brace that lets him kick through walls!

As for the end of Bain.. Bruce has brawled tirelessly, had his back snapped and finally managed to knock the gas out of his mask only to get put back in his place by an unlikely villan. Then cat woman rolls in and fires a cannon at Bain (the same cannon that destroyed the concrete boulders blocking a tunnel earlier) and that's it then end of the might Bain.

How Bain should have died (clicky)

Re: (very long) Film review: The dark knight rises [Re: ] #1365684
06/08/2012 22:07
06/08/2012 22:07
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline OP
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline OP
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
Originally Posted By: Nievelc
In the Dark Knight rises we first meet Bruce Wayne in his mansion, border line geriatric with a limp and a stick. He wants nothing to do with Batman and after being robbed by cat woman and some persuasion Master Bruce decides he needs to get the cape back on. At this point I expected a montage of him using his grit determination to get himself back up fighting fit to some kind of shape, but no.

He puts on a special knee brace that lets him kick through walls!

Having his back broken did wonders for his dodgy leg, because he's not wearing the brace when he's in prison, but has no problems shinning up the wall a couple of times smile