» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (EB20VTPlus), 125 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,673
Posts1,341,671
Members1,827
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,578
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,308
PeteP 21,527
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,897
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Petition [Re: Emjay] #1483625
14/04/2014 22:56
14/04/2014 22:56
S. Wales. Way beyond my means
Gripped Offline
Club member 1924
Gripped  Offline
Club member 1924
Forum is my job

Originally Posted By: Emjay
Originally Posted By: Gripped
So what we are saying, is it basically the drivers who are at fault most of the time !

I don't think so, but I do think there can be poor instruction (eg the gaps in knowledge the course you went on addressed and then the incorrect teaching you were given on the course). Also the error of seeing speed as emblematic of driving skill.

The 'better' I become as a driver, cyclist etc the more errors (including errors of judgment) I recognise I make.

It is much easier to focus on modifying the habits of other road users rather than our own.

Indeed. But, what was the incorrect teaching on the course exactly?

If we are saying that lamps must be within 200 yards to be a 30mph (Thanks to Andrew R... and Wikipedia) then the photo shown on the course can be correct. It was a narrow lane with a single lamp post. No speed sign. Therefore assume it is 30mph not 60. Why? Because around the bend is another lamp post within 200 yards of the first. When I said solitary, I mean the photo showed a solitary lamp post. But to be a 30, there will have been another one out of sight.

Re: Petition [Re: Emjay] #1483628
14/04/2014 23:03
14/04/2014 23:03
Gripped Offline
Club member 1924
Gripped  Offline
Club member 1924
Forum is my job

Originally Posted By: Emjay
Gripped - I would 100% agree with "usually" (it's the ANY road UNLESS that I disagree with).

Where I live there are no public street lamps, it is a narrow, residential country lane with blind corners, in an area popular with walkers, cyclists and horses. It's a 60 limit. However, anyone who wants to drive down it in haste is the hazard rather than those who cannot reach that speed.

I read this a few times, and I'm not sure I fully understand.

I totally agree that the speed limit without lamp posts or a sign to the contrary is 60. I also agree that idiots driving too fast for the conditions and their skill level, will be the hazard. I was not making any observations on who is causing the problem, simply what the speed limit is in that situation.

I think on most country lanes, 60 is too fast regardless, but that's what the law says.

I'm currently doing advanced motorbike rider training with RoSPA, so no doubt these discussions will come in handy. wink

Re: Petition [Re: Gripped] #1483631
14/04/2014 23:11
14/04/2014 23:11
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
Indeed. But, what was the incorrect teaching on the course exactly?

If we are saying that lamps must be within 200 yards to be a 30mph (Thanks to Andrew R... and Wikipedia) then the photo shown on the course can be correct. It was a narrow lane with a single lamp post. No speed sign. Therefore assume it is 30mph not 60. Why? Because around the bend is another lamp post within 200 yards of the first. When I said solitary, I mean the photo showed a solitary lamp post. But to be a 30, there will have been another one out of sight.

Well that now sounds disingenuous rather than incorrect. If you were driving that road you'd know how far apart the lamp-posts were spaced because either:

1. You'd have just passed one (within 200 yards), or

2. The one in the photo would be the first one, in which case there'd be a 30 limit sign by it.

What was their point? "Here's a section of road, and if you'd driven there with your eyes closed you'd be going too fast".

PS. Thanks for being condescending and crediting Wikipedia on my behalf, I note that it didn't work for you...

For example, I knew that lamp posts indicated a 30 mph limit, but I couldn't remember whether or not it was something to do with the spacing of of the posts.

1. In fact, ANY road with one or more lamp post is a 30mph UNLESS otherwise signposted with another limit.

Dear monos, a secret truth.
Re: Petition [Re: AndrewR] #1483642
15/04/2014 00:00
15/04/2014 00:00
Gripped Offline
Club member 1924
Gripped  Offline
Club member 1924
Forum is my job

AndrewR

I am not sure I deserve a dressing down from you. I was merely pointing out that we both found the same info on Wiki. There was no intention to be condescending. So apologies if it sounded like it. I am a self confessed Wiki user (with caution) and make no apology for that.

This was supposed to be a general discussion on what I'd gleaned from a course and how it is not always easy to determine speed limits. Though it appears I've managed to hijack the thread from its original purpose, so sorry for that.

Anyway, have a look at what RoSPA say:

RoSPA

The lamp post is an indicator. The course was about "Speed Awareness," so the photo is designed to catch you out (perhaps disingenuous), and get you thinking. So, in answer to your points:

1. I think it is perfectly possible that you are entering a 30 zone with the start of some lamp posts. They may be spaced quite far apart.

2. There may not be a 30mph sign. That is why the lamp post is used as a surrogate to indicate a restricted road.

I accept that in general there will be signs to remind people. But, there are occasions where signs are obscured, so having additional road "information" is handy to avoid getting a ticket.

smile

Re: Petition [Re: Roadking] #1483667
15/04/2014 08:45
15/04/2014 08:45

H
Hanny
Unregistered
Hanny
Unregistered
H

Originally Posted By: Roadking
Originally Posted By: Hanny
"MoD Convoys not on immediate deployment" .... hard one as they still have to move durring exercises and the TA have a majority of their exercises at weekends...........

But they don't need to be on the road during rush hour. And as someone who has commanded convoys I can safely say that. An exercise is just that. We managed in Germany where HGVs were banned from the roads from Sat Lunch to Sun midnight, it just takes planning.

As for the TA, no reason why they can't move during the night at weekends.

Prime example tonight, the cloud9 driving a tractor on the A31 from Bere Regis doing 20-25, who made no attempt to pull over and let the traffic through. Sheer cloud9 ignorance.

Ah you have me there ref Germany (BAOR in my day) and I have to concede on that point as the weekend ban on HGV was effective.

Examples of European bans include:
FRENCH lorry ban: 22:00 Saturday to 22:00 Sunday
GERMAN lorry ban: Midnight to 22:00 Sunday
ITALIAN lorry ban: 08:00 to 22:00 Sunday
SPANISH lorry ban: Complicated restrictions only on certain roads at certain times and easy for operators to get caught out.
SWISS lorry ban: All day (midnight to midnight) Sunday, also every night from 22:00 to 05:00.
There are no bans in place in Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, Denmark, Ukraine and many other eastern European states”

Mind you the last time I ‘commanded’ a convoy I think my ‘tail end Charlie’ was Ben Hur

Page 2 of 2 1 2