» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (jaaps2, 1 invisible), 275 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,627
Posts1,341,371
Members1,807
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,303
PeteP 21,522
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,835
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Why you shouldn't modify.... [Re: ] #1494905
20/06/2014 13:06
20/06/2014 13:06
Haslemere, Surrey
M
Mark_S Offline
Forum is my job
Mark_S  Offline
Forum is my job
M

Haslemere, Surrey
I must say that modifying my car over the long period of ownership has helped me stay with it, maintaining interest, keeping up with the new car power hikes etc.
I pretty much have it how I want it now, maximum relaible power on standard internals, best body kit (on my second) and re-spray to make it cosmetically satisfying. Yes I need to refresh under the bonnet (surface rust) and I am still chasing some minor modes (alloy handbrake handle anyone?, high vis stop light group buy)- does it ever end?

My car is lowered and it and I hate speed bumps and B road pot holes can be a menance, but neither ride nor exhaust boom are wierying I think I could jump in and drive for 5+ hours and be fresh. The Recaro seats are excellent.

997 C4S
Re: Why you shouldn't modify.... [Re: Mark_S] #1494906
20/06/2014 13:09
20/06/2014 13:09
Haslemere, Surrey
M
Mark_S Offline
Forum is my job
Mark_S  Offline
Forum is my job
M

Haslemere, Surrey
To continue, I drove a time warp yellow car at Rogers (30k) and it was so tight, smooth and orginal, it took me right back to 2001 when I purchased my car un-modified. It was a real OEM experience and really nice and quite different, not better, than modded.

I think I have found the answer to the conundrum via a second car, I'll keep moding my Coupe to my heart's content and keep the GTV standard in every regard cool

997 C4S
Re: Why you shouldn't modify.... [Re: Mark_S] #1494918
20/06/2014 14:03
20/06/2014 14:03
Essex
Trappy Offline
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline
Forum is my life

Essex
Originally Posted By: Mark_S
To continue, I drove a time warp yellow car at Rogers (30k) and it was so tight, smooth and orginal, it took me right back to 2001 when I purchased my car un-modified. It was a real OEM experience and really nice and quite different, not better, than modded.

I remember that yellow one at Roger's all those years ago!

I don't understand the thing when people drive a standard one. It's just a straight compromise in my opinion - handling, feel, driving pleasure and poise vs comfort. Everyone has a level they can tolerate. My car is at mine now and I wouldn't have it any other way. I hate cars that wallow and dive all the time and I still remember the improvement each handling modification made. The only one I didn't like was the camber from bolts and I've had them removed since.

That said, I do have access to a 57 plate rev-up 350Z and I think the ride is worse than mine. Not as crashy, but really jarring over bumps. I think one car has stiffer springs and the other stiffer damping though I couldn't tell you which! Maybe the Z just has a stiffer chassis?

I know I prefer the coop though; everything just feels 'right'. It's easy to drive hard and much faster in the twisties (in my hands anyway). If the coop was new now, then the 350Z would probably be considered a rival, so I think my mods (modernisations) have worked cool

F****** b****** thing...
Re: Why you shouldn't modify.... [Re: barnacle] #1494924
20/06/2014 14:46
20/06/2014 14:46

K
KBT
Unregistered
KBT
Unregistered
K

Mine is now in the ash tray space. wink
The fit is terrible though at present, I will have to get a panel made.
One point though is when modding I prefer to be non- destructive and to keep parts I have removed! I had to source the vent and the colour doesn`t match.

Re: Why you shouldn't modify.... [Re: H_R] #1494949
20/06/2014 17:22
20/06/2014 17:22
Solihull, West Midlands, Engla...
Loui Offline
Reaping the fruits
Loui  Offline
Reaping the fruits

Solihull, West Midlands, Engla...
Originally Posted By: H_R
Who are we kidding here, the majority of us wanted a fast car with style, For the unitiated that would be a ferrari or porsche, BMW M, Audi r8, TT or even an RS variant. etc.

Well the majority of us are not going to be able to afford or be patient enough to wait the 25 odd years to of saved up for one.

But hey there is an alternative the Fiat Coupe! style, looks sounds great fast and cheap compared to list above.
So you get in one and its fast nippy round town etc. but lacks top end power and these cars are so cheap to make faster its a no brainer!
Now of course there are some very good conversions out there and some not so good!
We all at some point wanted to go fast i must admit im just as happy cruising but knowing i have decent acceleration just makes it perfect for me

I believe it is only the fast approaching rarity that is skewing peoples opinions if we were discussing a Subaru for example nobody would be the slightest bit bothered about originality at the moment, perhaps in a few years but not yet

So enjoy the car in whatever guise its in! it Doesn't really matter! what people see is a Fiat Coupe! they don't know what's under the bonnet unless you tell them and some don't even know what a Fiat Coupe is so who cars just enjoy

I think a lot of people have a genuine love for this car regardless of it being cheap fast fun. I've got a TTRS and a E46 M3 and I still prefer the coupe to both. It's just more charismatic and unique. I just love it to bits. As for modifying it, I think its good just to use superior parts when changing just to freshen it up and bring it up to date and to keep up with the vxrs tongue which 20years on it still does. Hehe

Re: Why you shouldn't modify.... [Re: Trappy] #1494997
21/06/2014 00:00
21/06/2014 00:00

C
couper
Unregistered
couper
Unregistered
C

Originally Posted By: Trappy
Originally Posted By: Mark_S

I remember that yellow one at Roger's all those years ago!

That car is still under 30,000 miles wink

On the subject of mods. Even a stainless catback exhaust, remap and drilled airbox make a totally different animal. A stock 20vt is such a quiet and understated performer.

Mods are great. I love my 303bhp car but it is night and day different to a standard car.

Always wanted 400 or 500 bhp but now think this would be too much of a compromise for me on the road.

I get it is wonderful to create your own personal car or buy one pre modded to a spec you like.

But as Nigel realised don't underestimate the fine balance fiat achieved. A beautiful, docile yet high performance GT car.

Re: Why you shouldn't modify.... [Re: ] #1495020
21/06/2014 09:39
21/06/2014 09:39
Haslemere, Surrey
M
Mark_S Offline
Forum is my job
Mark_S  Offline
Forum is my job
M

Haslemere, Surrey
That was a great buy smile

997 C4S
Re: Why you shouldn't modify.... [Re: Nigel] #1495038
21/06/2014 13:09
21/06/2014 13:09
Castle Combe
Flea Offline
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
Almost all owners of turbo cars will modify to some extent, it's just too easy not to. I tune a huge number of Ford Focus RS cars, and circa 95% of the total production run are modified. It's entirely down to the the owner as it should be, your car so do what you want. If a great big spoiler on the back floats your boat, then go for it!

As for the Coupe specifically, I think it is safe to say I have driven more Coupes than anyone on the planet, and certainly of the modified variety! Among those I have some standout favourites, Coupes that have been modified so well that they enhance the car to an unbelievable level. If you get the balance right, well it is fantastic to see how good the Coupe can be some 20 years on.

[Linked Image]

Re: Why you shouldn't modify.... [Re: Flea] #1495076
21/06/2014 20:10
21/06/2014 20:10
Essex
Trappy Offline
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline
Forum is my life

Essex
Which are your favourites then, Leighton? smile

F****** b****** thing...
Re: Why you shouldn't modify.... [Re: Trappy] #1495725
25/06/2014 22:38
25/06/2014 22:38

K
KBT
Unregistered
KBT
Unregistered
K

I think you have to take him your car and see if it appears on facebook...
When mine was last there he wasn`t a member so...mind you, I didn`t own the car either.

Re: Why you shouldn't modify.... [Re: ] #1497079
05/07/2014 04:05
05/07/2014 04:05
South Cambs
B
Barmybob Offline
Hon Club Member: 003
Barmybob  Offline
Hon Club Member: 003
Je suis un Coupé
B

South Cambs
I can appreciate both standard and modified Coupés but feel I am becoming inclined to favour standard.

I still like the look of my Coupé on the Nigel recommended suspension set up but I am beginning to tire of its harshness. On the Turin trip I was seriously considering taking the car back to standard suspension. It's all too harsh on anything other than a billiard table road surface, and there just aren't many of those around.

And as for power. I can see the thrill of getting a Coupé that can out perform exotica but the fact will remain that it's a modified Coupé. If the owners of exotica were to spend a similar car value to mods ratio on heir cars then I suspect the Coupé would not be so close. Modified Vs standard is not something I can get too excited about. Yes it's fun to see a heavily modified Mk1 golf blow away an Audi RS4 on the drag strip. But as good as a Golf is I think we all know which would be the better car!

I also can't help but feel that the Coupé isn't exactly the best base for power modifying. I love the Coupé but feel that if similar power & mods were fitted to, say an S3, or a whole host of 4WD & RWD Japanese cars, they would be far superior to a modified Coupé? frown

Gone Audi mad!
Re: Why you shouldn't modify.... [Re: Nigel] #1497080
05/07/2014 04:17
05/07/2014 04:17

N
Nello
Unregistered
Nello
Unregistered
N

Its all horses for courses. Yes the OE cars drive well enough though in todays light circa 220BHP is not that quick anymore.
I've had a Lotus Esprit for 20 years and the Esprit world was blown away when the Sport300 came out in '94. 300BHP sounded incredible but look where we are now.
Trouble is once you've driven a modded car and see the potential the cars have, a standard car with an OE Turbo feels like its strangled to me.
Agreed the OE suspension setup is optimum for comfort but IMO you cannot beat the stance and look of a lowered car on Eibachs. They should have left the factory like it. Yes the ride suffers somewhat but its worth it to me (as long as the handling is not adversely affected with whatever you go for).
Of course the other major factor to consider is your budget.
I'd love to decat but know that it would lead to an imminent replacement upgraded Turbo which would not get a sign-off from Mrs Nello.
In any case if you can afford it and like it - its yours so why not.

Page 2 of 2 1 2