» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (french_coupe, 386ka, Rosso), 274 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,600
Posts1,341,117
Members1,802
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,556
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,300
PeteP 21,512
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,788
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Azzura] #1505142
28/08/2014 13:17
28/08/2014 13:17

T
TimR
Unregistered
TimR
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: Azzura
Originally Posted By: TimR
There seems to have been a lot of talk (from the beginning of the debate a couple of years ago) about jobs going south of the Border - Azzura mentions it himself - but do people really think that an independent Scotland will cease to have, for example, Government agencies to provide employment?

There will be a Scottish version of everything we have now and even if the politicians are self-serving at least they'll be our self-serving ones, not trapped in far, far away land in the South East of England.

Do you really think that the number of people employed to administrate 5 million citizens will come close to the amount of people employed to administrate 65 million citizens?

Of course not, that would be ridiculous but then the Government agencies for 65 million people don't solely employ people based in Scotland do they. Most of those jobs are in England.
Scotland would simply require enough people to fill the same roles catering for 5 million people.
That should've been obvious from my original comment.

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: barnacle] #1505181
28/08/2014 19:08
28/08/2014 19:08
angus, scotland
jimbob13 Offline
I need some sleep
jimbob13  Offline
I need some sleep

angus, scotland
Originally Posted By: barnacle
Independent State of Barnacle

Or, for convenience, I SoB.

[Linked Image]
Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: ] #1505192
28/08/2014 19:45
28/08/2014 19:45
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
A
Azzura Offline
Enjoying the ride
Azzura  Offline
Enjoying the ride
A

Aberdeenshire,Scotland

Of course not, that would be ridiculous but then the Government agencies for 65 million people don't solely employ people based in Scotland do they. Most of those jobs are in England.
Scotland would simply require enough people to fill the same roles catering for 5 million people.

And yet again you are missing the point. The UK government currently is the 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st largest employer in Scotland. The point is NOT that Scotland "simply requires enough people to fill the same roles catering for 5 million people" , it is that Scotland requires to give employment to ALL the people currently employed by the UK government in Scotland because those jobs will stay in the UK remnant, a substantially larger number than the Scottish government will ever be able to employ.
This WAS obvious from my original comment, and yet like the SNP, you have ignored it.

Yesterday Sprint Blue 20VT,today Denim Blue TT225
Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: jimbob13] #1505203
28/08/2014 20:27
28/08/2014 20:27
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Offline
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Originally Posted By: jimbob13
Originally Posted By: barnacle
Independent State of Barnacle

Or, for convenience, I SoB.

Ever quick off the mark laugh

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505207
28/08/2014 20:32
28/08/2014 20:32
Glos
Brilly1uk Offline
Club member 1034
Brilly1uk  Offline
Club member 1034
Competition Level

Glos
I SoB
They've written a book haven't they?

Fiat Coupe 20VT
Alfa Romeo Spider
BMW X3
Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505216
28/08/2014 21:27
28/08/2014 21:27

B
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
B

The way its reported in the news makes me think of primary school children falling out and then making weird threats / promises depending on if they are trying to win favour or look tough.

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Azzura] #1505309
29/08/2014 12:03
29/08/2014 12:03

T
TimR
Unregistered
TimR
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: Azzura

And yet again you are missing the point. The UK government currently is the 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st largest employer in Scotland. The point is NOT that Scotland "simply requires enough people to fill the same roles catering for 5 million people" , it is that Scotland requires to give employment to ALL the people currently employed by the UK government in Scotland because those jobs will stay in the UK remnant, a substantially larger number than the Scottish government will ever be able to employ.
This WAS obvious from my original comment, and yet like the SNP, you have ignored it.

I'm not ignoring your comments (and I'm certainly not aligned with the SNP either) but I do disagree.
I accept that a lot of jobs will go south but 'new' roles will have to be created to cover, for example, oil industry, forestry, fishing - roles that are currently primarily south of the border. In addition a full Government will require a full civil service, presumably based in Edinburgh, and that must surely require the creation of roles that are carried out in London (while the rest of the UK will still have to carry out a lot of these tasks for themselves too).
However, I suppose a big issue could simply be that a lot of these newly created jobs may be for more senior levels and that would certainly be a problem.

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505364
29/08/2014 19:50
29/08/2014 19:50
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
What would be interesting is to see HOW Scotland will fill certain jobs in independence. Take my street for example (in fact, houses I can see from my house) - two teachers from England, a fireman from England, three nurses from England, two surgeons from England, and a construction project manager from England and, until recently, a quality and regulatory director from England. Most, if not all, of these jobs are hard to fill regardless of immigration policy. I very much doubt I'd have come up here had Scotland been outside the UK. Certainly at my last employer, we had enough trouble filling vacancies in a joined UK. As the biggest private employer in the Highlands, I don't see how that's going to be better with independence.

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1505398
30/08/2014 01:06
30/08/2014 01:06

L
Lego
Unregistered
Lego
Unregistered
L

If your correct it would work both ways. There are lots of Surgeons, Nurses and Fireman etc, etc from Scotland working in England. Maybe they wouldn't have gone to England had it been a separate country and stayed to fill jobs here.

Last edited by Lego; 30/08/2014 01:58.
Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: ] #1505401
30/08/2014 02:01
30/08/2014 02:01
Southampton, Hants
Roadking Offline
Club member 1809
Roadking  Offline
Club member 1809
Forum is my life

Southampton, Hants
My ex boss is a Scot who served 25 years in the Army, specifically in the RSDG. He won't return to Scotland because, in his words "It's too fking cold"

So it's not just the money that attracts Scots to the new UK. I've also spoken to a good few Scottish soldiers who have no intention of joining any Scottish Defence Force. In fact I haven't spoken to any who would wish to.

Of course you could argue that as they aren't singing Fenian songs on Celtic's terraces, that's hardly surprising.

"RK's way seems the most sensible to me". ali_hire 16 Dec 2010
Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505404
30/08/2014 03:55
30/08/2014 03:55
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
A
Azzura Offline
Enjoying the ride
Azzura  Offline
Enjoying the ride
A

Aberdeenshire,Scotland
I was speaking to someone with Army connections the other day who told me of an officer who had asked his battalion of a Scots Regiment how many of them intended to vote Yes and most raised their hands. When he pointed out that would mean them leaving the British Army, they all but one changed their minds and the one was the awkward squad candidate. It's representative of just how little a great many people have thought through the consequences of the vote, and how many have never thought at all of what it is they are voting to lose. Because that is exactly what we are doing, deciding on whether we should throw away the largest, richest part of the islands upon which we live.

What is really getting my goat at the moment is the contention that since Scotland does'nt get the government it votes for ( which is simply untrue and ignores the fact that we had exactly what we voted for for 13 years prior to 2010 and in the 69 years since 1945, 30 of them have been under Labour which has been the Scottish vote, pretty damn good for a region with only 8% of the population) it should be independent - in 2010 Scots only elected 6 nationalist MPs out of 59 seats with a 63% turnout, which raises 2 questions.
1 - Why are we even getting a referendum since Scotland made it clear in 2010 that the aims of the nationalists in the UK wide elections were not what the country wanted?
2 - How on earth could a country founded on the basic principle that those who don't get what they want are entitled to secede prevent any other part of Scotland splitting off because it is unhappy with the result or any future policy?

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1505406
30/08/2014 04:56
30/08/2014 04:56
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Gone
Originally Posted By: MeanRedSpider
What would be interesting is to see HOW Scotland will fill certain jobs in independence. Take my street for example (in fact, houses I can see from my house) - two teachers from England, a fireman from England, three nurses from England, two surgeons from England, and a construction project manager from England and, until recently, a quality and regulatory director from England. Most, if not all, of these jobs are hard to fill regardless of immigration policy. I very much doubt I'd have come up here had Scotland been outside the UK. Certainly at my last employer, we had enough trouble filling vacancies in a joined UK. As the biggest private employer in the Highlands, I don't see how that's going to be better with independence.

Why would these jobs need filling MRS? Surely if those people have already made the decision to live and work in Scotland then they will stay no matter what.
I know plenty of ex service guys that were stationed in Kinloss and Lossiemouth, they fell in love with the area, bought property and call it home.

I hope non of that changes with an independent Scotland.

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jimbo] #1505408
30/08/2014 07:32
30/08/2014 07:32
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

Why would these jobs need filling MRS? Surely if those people have already made the decision to live and work in Scotland then they will stay no matter what.
I know plenty of ex service guys that were stationed in Kinloss and Lossiemouth, they fell in love with the area, bought property and call it home.

I hope non of that changes with an independent Scotland.

The point is this: there's currently shortages of ALL of these positions in this area. Raigmore Hospital, in particular, has terrible trouble filling senior positions (it's really quite worrying even in the current situation).

Now, whilst there might be lots of Scots in the rest of the UK, a lot have gone there to further their careers at bigger and better places (big teaching hospitals, big technology or science centres etc). The smartest ones often end up at Oxford and Cambridge. I don't see this changing much. It's the route the other direction which is already pretty tough. And even when you're here, the options are pretty limited. There was no similar job I could switch to when my role went at JnJ.

And, yes, there are lots of people that have come here and fallen in love with the place (I include myself in that) but, the point is just that - you need to come first and then you fall in love with it. Inverness, though, is a cultural and shopping desert (not to mention the long nights, cold summers etc). Mrs MRS hated it for at least the first year and was in tears when we came up house hunting. She's still pretty keen to go back.

I genuinely fear for Inverness and the Highlands and Islands in general in an Independent Scotland

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505411
30/08/2014 07:56
30/08/2014 07:56
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Highlands and Islands - one word: midges.

My parents live on an acre of crofting land on Skye; for two months of the year they can't leave the house in daylight without protective clothing.

When, as is inevitable, I inherit the house, I do not expect to keep it.

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505412
30/08/2014 08:12
30/08/2014 08:12
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
That's the West Coast for you. No midges (or none to speak of) over here.

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505415
30/08/2014 09:40
30/08/2014 09:40
In the coupe.
magooagain Offline
Club Member 259
magooagain  Offline
Club Member 259
Forum is my life

In the coupe.
This debate brings up so many things that many have not thought about. It should be published onto a Scotish national forum.
In particular MRS's point about where people go to be further educated. It's why so many foreign students flood to England.

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505430
30/08/2014 12:15
30/08/2014 12:15
Castle Combe
Flea Offline
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
I can understand the raison-d'etre behind Scottish independence, but it really does concern me that for the average man on the ground, such a fundamental (and permanent) shift is largely based on simple nationalistic rhetoric. The intricate nature and balance of so many aspects of Scottish and UK infrastructure are willingly being risked, it really is a punt into the unknown. The currency debate is a spectacular example of a known unknown. How can you move into independence when something so fundamental has not been resolved/agreed upon beforehand? This suggests to me that the wider picture would be even more fraught with unknowns, and it will almost certainly result in a brutal reality for many caught unawares. Perhaps another ten years of planning would be wise? Then again, Que sera sera...

[Linked Image]

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Flea] #1505444
30/08/2014 14:30
30/08/2014 14:30

L
Lego
Unregistered
Lego
Unregistered
L

Don't fool yourself into thinking that what you hear in the press and see on your TV in your region is all thats going on. It's a bit one sided. You're just not hearing and seeing it.

This is a major decision for the People in Scotland and believe me there are lots of us up here having grown-up mature discussions about it. Forget the nonesense you here from the Polititians. One thing it certainly isn't - is nationallistic rhetoric. Though there is plenty "anti" rhetoric in this thread.

There lots of National Forums where the people of Scotland are discussing all the pros and cons of Independence. There have been meetings, talks, debates in almost every town and village for the last year by political parties, non-political organisations and countless international speakers. . I've never stopped discussing for the last 9 months with family, colleages. It's when you filter out the political parties and those with vested interest on both sides and listen to the many comments, articles and thoughts made by those who have no vested interest either way, that you see it might be crazy for the people in Scotland not to take this opportunity.

Here is one of the countless comments by individuals which was that sums up the general feeling and reasons of those who intend to vote YES Why I've changed from No to YES

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505445
30/08/2014 14:44
30/08/2014 14:44
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
I read the short diatribe and all it seems to say is I've no idea how it could work but it must be better. How is that the basis for anything? If that's the way countless individuals are thinking, I'm sorry but they're going to come down with a horrible bump. People need to sit down and think about the realities of independence hard - exactly how it's going to be better and what is going to make it better. If, after that sensible consideration, they still decide independence is better, that's good. But it's a massive decision which has the possibility to affect the lives of many many people (including me and my kids). All of that on the basis of "it must be better" worries the cr@p out of me!

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505446
30/08/2014 14:50
30/08/2014 14:50
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline OP
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline OP
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Lego, you seem to be saying that anyone who is in the "no" camp is spouting rhetoric (despite what look like pretty good points to a neutral like me) and yet everything you say is carefully thought out logical argument.
In terms of not being fooled by the media, I don't really need to be warned, but I have to say that although in some ways I'd really *like* any national group to have independence (if they want it), I really haven't been impressed by the "Yes" vote's objective case so far.

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1505447
30/08/2014 14:58
30/08/2014 14:58

L
Lego
Unregistered
Lego
Unregistered
L

But that's how many people think. That's the point - it couldn't be any worse than it is now for many people. You're fine with the staus Quo and I'm alright Jack it won't make a difference to me , but it will to many others. Great Britain is a sinking ship it's Empire is long gone and everybody left, The residents of Scotland have a chance to do something else while England's alternative is only UKIP.

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505449
30/08/2014 15:13
30/08/2014 15:13
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline OP
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline OP
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Are you saying that "I'm alright Jack" bit to me personally? If so, I think you may have missed the bit where I had to leave England because I couldn't afford to live there.
Seriously, I honestly don't know anyone in England for whom the word or concept of empire has any relevance or resonance whatsoever. The English simply do not care about that. And to be honest, I don't think the overwhelming majority of the English care that much one way or the other about Scotland's decision. Not because we have anything at all against the Scots or an axe to grind, but hell, we don't even vote in our own elections!
The only nationalistic bile being raised seems to be coming from your direction!

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505452
30/08/2014 15:33
30/08/2014 15:33
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
I'm also a little surprised about the Empire bit - much of that happened nearer 100 years ago. If GB is the sinking ship, does that make the Yes vote the rats? As for "everybody left" - net migration is inward.

A Scottish friend made the remark that many of the Yes vote folk are those with nothing to lose from a change - that seems to be supported by your comments on anything else must be better. Again, that's a pretty irresponsible approach to anything. It can be A LOT worse: Greece, Portugal, Italy, Spain, or, if you want a more recent independent close economy, how about Ireland - the Celtic Tiger...?

A debate on reality would be a bit more valuable.

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505453
30/08/2014 15:46
30/08/2014 15:46
highlands
jimboy Offline
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline
Club Member 857
Forum is my life

highlands
The press are having a field day with this as far I can see. Most up here are pretty savvy, but I do come across some people, your ordinary man on the street who likes the odd sherbet shall we say who just can't make his mind up one way or the other due to the different slants in the papers, especially the rags.

I remember some time back when I used to travel the UK when I was a member of a young mans club dedicated to charity events.
Having breakfast in a cafe in Eastbourne after the night before nearly choking on my bacon when I picked up a rag to read....Scottish are the worst nation, worst this & that, generally slagging off North of the border. Same paper back in Scotland doing the same about England.

No big deal, but here was me still in full Highland dress surrounded by hungry Englishmen eyeing me up & down, some with amusement I suspected. Not a good advert though... frown

I'm an old git & happy with it,most of the time
Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: ] #1505455
30/08/2014 16:03
30/08/2014 16:03
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
A
Azzura Offline
Enjoying the ride
Azzura  Offline
Enjoying the ride
A

Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Originally Posted By: Lego
it couldn't be any worse than it is now for many people.

I have to ask - are you less than 20 years old? Seriously. Because it could be one HELL of a lot worse for everyone. The UK has one of the highest standards of living anywhere, far higher than it was when I was a kid, and even for those who are poor ( and I work with the lowest , most disadvantaged parts of our society ). Could things be better? Of course, they could but they could be far, far worse than they are now.

Why would an independent Scotland magically make things better? The Scottish government has existed for 17 years , the last 7 of which have been under the SNP, yet they have squandered billions on needless vanity projects instead of spending it on the poor, they have attacked the institutions of Scots society that have for hundreds of years promoted fairness and justice, they have presided over severe reductions in police and courts whilst making more and more criminal offences, preventing citizens from having access to justice whther accused or victim.
They promise higher benefits and lower taxes, something anyone with the faintest grasp of economics knows to be mutually exclusive. It will take decades just to pay for the myriad necessary changes to EVERYTHING we have, but they are offering bread and circuses and promise all can feed at the public trough.
Both Salmond and Sturgeon have already done irrepairable harm to any future Scots economy by threatening to not pay national debts, you would'nt get a Wonga loan with that sort of attitude. let alone the trillions necessary to run a benefit junkie country.
And yet when anyone has the temerity to point out REAL problems the nationalists scoff and say "Stop being so negative" - as I've said before, we are not deciding on gaining something, we are deciding on permanently losing most of what we already have.
Put it this way Lego - what say you I come round to your house and cut off both your legs and your right arm? No? C'mon man, stop being so bloody negative! It'll be fun! wink

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Azzura] #1505476
30/08/2014 20:36
30/08/2014 20:36

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P

Ive missed something here - where's the anti-scottish/independence rhetoric Lego is quoting? All i can see is opinion, some informed some less so but nothing requiring such a response? Maybe post from the head not the heart?

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: ] #1505479
30/08/2014 21:04
30/08/2014 21:04
highlands
jimboy Offline
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline
Club Member 857
Forum is my life

highlands
Originally Posted By: proccy
Ive missed something here - where's the anti-scottish/independence rhetoric Lego is quoting? All i can see is opinion, some informed some less so but nothing requiring such a response? Maybe post from the head not the heart?

Aye Proccy, I was wondering that myself. I've been quite surprised how aggressive in various ways some have come across.

Shades of how the sanitation thread has come to mind.

I'm an old git & happy with it,most of the time
Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505540
31/08/2014 13:42
31/08/2014 13:42
In the coupe.
magooagain Offline
Club Member 259
magooagain  Offline
Club Member 259
Forum is my life

In the coupe.
I was just thinking about car registration. If the yes vote goes through how would that work? Would Scotland still need the DVLC? Would new cars bought from a certain date have a Scotish plate?
Would scots have road tax issued from Scotland and valid in the rest of the UK? Would UK residents have to pay a toll to enter Scotland?
Or maybe leave it as it is and call it a reciprical agreement!

Last edited by magooagain; 31/08/2014 13:43.

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1505991
03/09/2014 12:05
03/09/2014 12:05

B
Barney
Unregistered
Barney
Unregistered
B

I'm English and have lived here in Scotland for around 11 or 12 years. I don't mind admitting I'm genuinely fearful of the possible consequences when Scotland gains independence. From what I can see it’s going to happen.
As so many of you have pointed out already, the crux of it has to be finances. I'm not in the least interested in nationalistic sentiment (Scottish or English) but I am concerned about keeping my family warm and fed. Having a large mortgage in what could rapidly become a destitute country doesn’t appeal.
Show me the irrefutable evidence and cast-iron guarantees that Scotland will prosper by going it alone and I'd vote yes. Even if we keep it simple, assume the notion is correct that natural resources are the panacea. Exactly as GrahamL pointed out, Scottish Parliament has a terrible track record when it comes to money management. How much exactly does it cost to establish new government etc after devolution? Especially when managed by the same cowboys that gave us the Edinburgh trams. Seems blindingly obvious the suggestion Scotland will somehow be much better off after a yes vote is just folly.
Without knowing exactly what we and our children will have to live with, this is nothing but a massive gamble. Would anyone here sell everything they own (property, cars, your entire lot) and head into a casino to put it on black or red? No! Amazes me anyone can be cavalier about the long term future of their home and country.

Re: "Should Scotland be an independent country?" [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1506004
03/09/2014 13:29
03/09/2014 13:29
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
The point is, for many of the people who plan to vote Yes, they have little to lose. Since 16 and 17 year olds can vote (insanity IMO), they literally have nothing to lose in most cases.

The polls still are saying No although the gap has closed.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8