» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 211 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,596
Posts1,341,060
Members1,801
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,553
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,300
PeteP 21,510
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,783
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Clintos] #1573780
16/05/2016 08:56
16/05/2016 08:56
Kent
Submariner Offline
My job on the forum
Submariner  Offline
My job on the forum

Kent
Originally Posted By: Clintos
Originally Posted By: Big_Muzzie
Looks good, brakes look clean as do the wheels.
Engine bay looks honest with no signs of bodging from what you can see. Hopefully this is the way the market is going for these now.
Cant believe this place is still full of people down valuing the cars (usually barryboys looking for a cheap turbo)

Haha, well I'm obviously amongst a few other 'barryboys' here who agree that it's well overpriced for what it is.....a quick blow over.

I think those who always try and over inflate poor examples are the ones to worry about as they are the ones looking for a quick pound for a blow over.....I call it greed

Agree

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: ] #1573782
16/05/2016 09:49
16/05/2016 09:49
Haslemere, Surrey
M
Mark_S Offline
Forum is my job
Mark_S  Offline
Forum is my job
M

Haslemere, Surrey
Originally Posted By: jonno5cyl
I agree still a very nice car, provided the paintwork is a good standard, even the brake discs look in better condition than the first advert. I have a little issue from the advert in that its' a bit misleading. There's no clue to the recent paintwork except that he says the wheels have been refurbished but other than that its 'totally original'. I do find it a little misleading personally.

For someone looking for a low mileage example thats already been sorted you couldn't go far wrong, assuming theres a bit of wiggle room in the price.

Yes, agree, should mention the paint, but will be obvious to prospective buyer.

Personally I don't have a problem with people buying low and selling high, provided the person buying high is not deliberately misled and are happy to pay that price. It seems to be a rising market. smile

997 C4S
Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Mark_S] #1573792
16/05/2016 11:15
16/05/2016 11:15

J
jonno5cyl
Unregistered
jonno5cyl
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted By: Mark_S
Originally Posted By: jonno5cyl
I agree still a very nice car, provided the paintwork is a good standard, even the brake discs look in better condition than the first advert. I have a little issue from the advert in that its' a bit misleading. There's no clue to the recent paintwork except that he says the wheels have been refurbished but other than that its 'totally original'. I do find it a little misleading personally.

For someone looking for a low mileage example thats already been sorted you couldn't go far wrong, assuming theres a bit of wiggle room in the price.

Yes, agree, should mention the paint, but will be obvious to prospective buyer.

Personally I don't have a problem with people buying low and selling high, provided the person buying high is not deliberately misled and are happy to pay that price. It seems to be a rising market. smile

I can't say I agree in this case. The advert leads you to believe the car has been nestled on a bed of feathers and kept all nice and safe garaged in Canary Wharf in London by it's fastidious owner, totally original.

There is no clue whatsoever that only a few weeks ago it was bought for £5000 less from some bloke in Bristol with a load of bangs and scrapes, a bonnet that was bent and scraped at the corner, and a rear arch with damage sufficient enough that if not repaired and painted correctly will start to rust through in a couple of years.

A bit dodge (imo)

Last edited by jonno5cyl; 16/05/2016 11:18.
Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1573815
16/05/2016 15:23
16/05/2016 15:23
Banbury
djmobi Offline
Enjoying the ride
djmobi  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Banbury
Has anyone sent him a message on Ebay asking why the markup and why no mention of the extensive body and paintwork smile

Back Owning a Coupe
Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: djmobi] #1573821
16/05/2016 16:07
16/05/2016 16:07
Kent
Submariner Offline
My job on the forum
Submariner  Offline
My job on the forum

Kent
Originally Posted By: djmobi
Has anyone sent him a message on Ebay asking why the markup and why no mention of the extensive body and paintwork smile

How many rows do you want today? wink

I can imagine the response he will give, caveat emptor on this one I reckon, if a perspective purchaser knew anything about Coupe's/classic cars, coupled with the rapid change of ownership, a fresh blow over and cutting compound all over the engine bay, reckon it would ring huge alarm bells.

Be interesting to watch this one.

Last edited by Submariner; 16/05/2016 16:09.
Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1573843
16/05/2016 16:59
16/05/2016 16:59

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P

Yeah, at the end of the day, it's not my car, not your car and not anyone's car on here. Too many spouting about it's worth this or NO it's not worth that. If that's what you think, don't buy.

There are too many people thinking they know the prices for coupes and they don't . They think they do for sure. If you are a owner, or a prospective buyer, then price is of great interest these days.

Let's take my Plus, I thought it was worth 10K to sell to someone I did not really want to sell it to. So, 10K was the price offered. That's my business, if the guy wanted to buy the car at that price he would of, he didn't so he didn't buy.

I did not know the market either, as, as I said, no one does. So, I put the car (the Plus) to the market on eBay on a £1.00 start bid. It eventually sold for £7200.00

I had offers of £8K, £7.5K and £7K before the auction ended and when the car was around the £6K mark on the auction. I had committed to the auction and therefore told all, no thanks. If you want the car, bid, like everyone else.

I spoke to Rob40 about the car on the phone, he asked me what I thought it would go for, and I said around £7K. Rob, maybe you can confirm.

The car is worth what someone will pay, that I put here, very clearly, months ago .... CLICK ME

And I tested the market, the only person to do so with a Plus or LE and it sold for £7200.00. There has been a sprint blue for sale for a very long time (20VT) with non standard wheels for I think it was 6K the last time I saw, that, I think, remains unsold.

The LE that sold for 10K, also had a rare registration on, that upped the price.

after a hitch, it sold within an hour on the second advert for £7K. I was happy with that, for a fast purchase and it was worth in profit personally. I stated clearly in the advert that....

(a) I had bought the car in December 2015 and (b) I had paid a lot less.

There, is the benchmark.

All that is needed now is for someone, to put a genuine well cared for, low mileage car through a decent auction and we will begin to understand prices with greater clarity.

Until then, put up, or shut up laugh

Out of interest, on eBay, it tells you that the car is overpriced when doing a normal advert, it says the average is £1500.00

If you go to Hagerty's site, classic cars, the Coupe (the last model) is not listed.

If you go to Glass's guide, the price is low. If you do a data check, the price for the model is low.

These, I think are the facts to date?

What do you think?

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Submariner] #1573847
16/05/2016 17:19
16/05/2016 17:19
Banbury
djmobi Offline
Enjoying the ride
djmobi  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Banbury
Originally Posted By: Submariner

How many rows do you want today? wink

I can imagine the response he will give, caveat emptor on this one I reckon, if a perspective purchaser knew anything about Coupe's/classic cars, coupled with the rapid change of ownership, a fresh blow over and cutting compound all over the engine bay, reckon it would ring huge alarm bells.

Be interesting to watch this one.

no more rows today please smile smile

Back Owning a Coupe
Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1573858
16/05/2016 18:01
16/05/2016 18:01
Uk
M
Makkadiamond Offline
Making a profit
Makkadiamond  Offline
Making a profit
M

Uk
A quick paint job restore the leather 8k
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-coupe-2-0-turbo-20v-petrol-/262438268644?hash=item3d1a8a2ee4:g:LvAAAOSw41xXOeBk

Only having a cheap joke guys and girls

Last edited by Makkadiamond; 16/05/2016 18:19.
Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: ] #1573900
16/05/2016 23:45
16/05/2016 23:45
Uk
M
Makkadiamond Offline
Making a profit
Makkadiamond  Offline
Making a profit
M

Uk
I think you make some valid points but really everyone is different and if members want to comment on a car advert and make different comments some good some of so good there is no harm done.

At the end of the day it won't stop a serious buyer taking a look at the car and if it stacks up buying the car.

People buy coupes for different reasons some buy to invest some buy to drive and some buy for as profit some buy just to look at the car and own one.
Each to his own provided we don't have slanging matches with each other that's fine.
Plus Coupe owners "I rinnk are emotional " you kinda have to too want a Coupe ?

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: ] #1573908
17/05/2016 00:10
17/05/2016 00:10
Kent
Submariner Offline
My job on the forum
Submariner  Offline
My job on the forum

Kent
Originally Posted By: patch234
Yeah, at the end of the day, it's not my car, not your car and not anyone's car on here. Too many spouting about it's worth this or NO it's not worth that. If that's what you think, don't buy.

There are too many people thinking they know the prices for coupes and they don't . They think they do for sure. If you are a owner, or a prospective buyer, then price is of great interest these days.

Let's take my Plus, I thought it was worth 10K to sell to someone I did not really want to sell it to. So, 10K was the price offered. That's my business, if the guy wanted to buy the car at that price he would of, he didn't so he didn't buy.

I did not know the market either, as, as I said, no one does. So, I put the car (the Plus) to the market on eBay on a £1.00 start bid. It eventually sold for £7200.00

I had offers of £8K, £7.5K and £7K before the auction ended and when the car was around the £6K mark on the auction. I had committed to the auction and therefore told all, no thanks. If you want the car, bid, like everyone else.

I spoke to Rob40 about the car on the phone, he asked me what I thought it would go for, and I said around £7K. Rob, maybe you can confirm.

The car is worth what someone will pay, that I put here, very clearly, months ago .... CLICK ME

And I tested the market, the only person to do so with a Plus or LE and it sold for £7200.00. There has been a sprint blue for sale for a very long time (20VT) with non standard wheels for I think it was 6K the last time I saw, that, I think, remains unsold.

The LE that sold for 10K, also had a rare registration on, that upped the price.

after a hitch, it sold within an hour on the second advert for £7K. I was happy with that, for a fast purchase and it was worth in profit personally. I stated clearly in the advert that....

(a) I had bought the car in December 2015 and (b) I had paid a lot less.

There, is the benchmark.

All that is needed now is for someone, to put a genuine well cared for, low mileage car through a decent auction and we will begin to understand prices with greater clarity.

Until then, put up, or shut up laugh

Out of interest, on eBay, it tells you that the car is overpriced when doing a normal advert, it says the average is £1500.00

If you go to Hagerty's site, classic cars, the Coupe (the last model) is not listed.

If you go to Glass's guide, the price is low. If you do a data check, the price for the model is low.

These, I think are the facts to date?

What do you think?

I think as you said the car is worth what someone wants to pay for it and this fluctuates on supply/demand, condition etc; but it does have certain parameter's ( well for me anyway smile ie a decent bog 20vt is 3.5 to 4.5K) I am not sure the figure you are looking for is even possible given the variables involved in buying and selling an old car (you state low mileage but for some bigger miles with fsh is a better purchase etc); look at most classic cars and the price can fluctuate quite considerably car to car.

What appears true is that there is only a small number of punters willing to shell out between 6 to 10 large on a Fiat Coupe whether it has had a £15K+ restoration, or is mint etc or not. Much of the Coupe's 'worth' or 'investment' is the actual owners' love of the car and then the associated expense to keep it in tip top condition mechanically and aesthetically with a view to keeping it not outing it for a big windfall. I think we have good clarity both on this site and also from what is being sold on Gumtree and eBay regarding pricing..some are complete dogs/nails some are great cars for keen money.

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1573914
17/05/2016 07:42
17/05/2016 07:42

B
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
B

Not sure what you're willing to pay matters?? It's a market place. If the car's straight, the 'blow over' or professional respray was done to a good standard and the mechanical parts check out then it's a very good low mileage car and one that could reach its price. There have been plenty of cars selling for good money - boggo being the correct way to achieve the higher values.

Why do people not want the coupe fiat not to appreciate in value?? I just do not get it.

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1573918
17/05/2016 10:41
17/05/2016 10:41
Kent
Submariner Offline
My job on the forum
Submariner  Offline
My job on the forum

Kent
I think we all welcome higher prices, well I do. smile

Just not for cars that have been bought to make a quick buck and/or are a pile of the proverbial, or with high asking prices 'only' because they are a 'Plus', LE or apparent 'low mileage'etc.

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1573919
17/05/2016 10:58
17/05/2016 10:58
UK
Clintos Offline
Club member 2040
Clintos  Offline
Club member 2040
Enjoying the ride

UK
I welcome high prices too but there is a maximum anyone is willing to pay for a 18 year old coupe. I paid 8k for mine and spent another 1k within the first week on tyres, exhaust, windscreen and service, otherwise the asking price was going to be a lot higher. Ive now got it in with Joe for a complete bones up refurb which will set me back close to 25k in total (inc car purchase). Would anyone ever dream of buying my coupe once its complete for that price............no chance!

So, when a dog is put on the market for a high price against a minter at the same price it kinda puts it into context...........

Boooooooooost!!!
Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1573934
17/05/2016 12:30
17/05/2016 12:30
Kent
Submariner Offline
My job on the forum
Submariner  Offline
My job on the forum

Kent
Wow £25k! A Dream Coupe though.

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1573937
17/05/2016 12:46
17/05/2016 12:46
Banbury
djmobi Offline
Enjoying the ride
djmobi  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Banbury
A Chrono LE with a professionally done ground up restoration ........I've just had a trouser incident

Back Owning a Coupe
Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: djmobi] #1573939
17/05/2016 13:15
17/05/2016 13:15
UK
Clintos Offline
Club member 2040
Clintos  Offline
Club member 2040
Enjoying the ride

UK
A Chrono LE with a professionally done ground up restoration ........I've just had a trouser incident

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1028903790537800.1073741927.319959168098936&type=3

thumb

Boooooooooost!!!
Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1573952
17/05/2016 14:46
17/05/2016 14:46
Banbury
djmobi Offline
Enjoying the ride
djmobi  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Banbury
That looks amazing.....it may not be worth £25k when its done, but give it a few more years as sadly a lot of Coupes seem to be heading for the big scrapyard in the sky and I bet eventually it would fetch a price like that.

It will probably be the most valuable Coupe in the UK or at least right up there when its done.

Back Owning a Coupe
Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1573956
17/05/2016 14:51
17/05/2016 14:51

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P

It may be worth 30K in future, let's hope for that ...

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: ] #1573958
17/05/2016 15:06
17/05/2016 15:06
UK
Clintos Offline
Club member 2040
Clintos  Offline
Club member 2040
Enjoying the ride

UK
Originally Posted By: patch234
It may be worth 30K in future, let's hope for that ...

wouldn't that be nice......... bow

Boooooooooost!!!
Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Clintos] #1573982
17/05/2016 17:15
17/05/2016 17:15

B
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
B

I welcome high prices too but there is a maximum anyone is willing to pay for a 18 year old coupe. I paid 8k for mine and spent another 1k within the first week on tyres, exhaust, windscreen and service, otherwise the asking price was going to be a lot higher. Ive now got it in with Joe for a complete bones up refurb which will set me back close to 25k in total (inc car purchase). Would anyone ever dream of buying my coupe once its complete for that price............no chance!

So, when a dog is put on the market for a high price against a minter at the same price it kinda puts it into context...........

There is too much guessing at condition and workmanship - if you know it's been a rush job then fair enough if you don't all you are doing is devaluing a car on opinion which isn't right. Alot of it goes on, nothing wrong with facts though!!

Fair play on your plus! It will be worth decent money one day, the 70's coupes are and when Phil (patch) has done sorting work on a few he's had some good prices (although he is super honest ane anal about his cars).
With positive talk in social media and a fair wind hopefully we'll see good prices again.

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: ] #1573984
17/05/2016 17:26
17/05/2016 17:26

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: Big_Muzzie

There is too much guessing at condition and workmanship - if you know it's been a rush job then fair enough if you don't all you are doing is devaluing a car on opinion which isn't right. Alot of it goes on, nothing wrong with facts though!!

Fair play on your plus! It will be worth decent money one day, the 70's coupes are and when Phil (patch) has done sorting work on a few he's had some good prices (although he is super honest ane anal about his cars).
With positive talk in social media and a fair wind hopefully we'll see good prices again.

Glad someone notices and it's generally the form for this forum, which is why, even when people think it's old and grey, there is a certain light that always shines (hmmmm, a little cheesy, but whatever), cheers BM thumb

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1574036
18/05/2016 07:27
18/05/2016 07:27

B
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
B

It's true Phil, you are one of the few private individuals that I would buy a car off sight unseen. You are a great ambassador for the car and from what I've seen on pistonheads the club.

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1574040
18/05/2016 08:26
18/05/2016 08:26

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P

Thanks again, but i am very mindful that without this club, none of this (with my coupe's) would have happened.

People on detailing world (huge forum) also like the coupe, both myself and Jas_racing post on there.. I think that people who were aware, but unaware of the marque are warming to the Coupe more and more every year.

Here's my latest ... which is basically the same on here. Though less detailed. If you like seeing cars turned around and cleaned up, it's a fantastic forum.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW - PICTURE HEAVY

I think at the end of the day, we all just want people to realise just what a fantastic car the coupe really is.

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1574068
18/05/2016 12:03
18/05/2016 12:03

J
jonno5cyl
Unregistered
jonno5cyl
Unregistered
J

I wish I had the time to do that, its much easier for me to read the post and look at the pictures! Looks great

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1574070
18/05/2016 12:21
18/05/2016 12:21

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P

Yeah jonno, I don't have the time to do it mate!! I work in Azerbaijan full time. Just buy the parts and things I need and do it when home between other things. It also helps that I transport the car to a specialist for the serious mechanic stuff and try to time that finishing with my vacation time at home. Where I land near there .. go there and drive the car back to my place thumb

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1574312
19/05/2016 20:51
19/05/2016 20:51
UK
Downhillryder Offline OP
Making a profit
Downhillryder  Offline OP
Making a profit

UK
The car in question (original post) has had the price dropped a grand !

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1574315
19/05/2016 20:55
19/05/2016 20:55

P
pooky69
Unregistered
pooky69
Unregistered
P

Hello guys.... and wow, a lively discussion!

I feel I must jump in as I am the punter / fool / nice guy / canny investor who bought Phil's Plus.

As a former Alfa Spider V6 owner, I'm used to similar discussions on the Alfa Owner forum about the 'future values' of GTVs and Spiders. I think £10k is a fair way off as a reasonable price for a mint Coupe, maybe 5-10 years down the line when only the real good 'uns are left, similar to where the 205 GTi or Mk1/2 Golf GTi are at these days. But at the moment they are a labour of love and not a wise financial investment.... yet!

I am delighted with my purchase :-) it has a few niggles which gives me something to work on, including enhancing the 5cyl soundtrack with a bit more noise, but I reckon I paid a fair price.

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1574323
19/05/2016 21:27
19/05/2016 21:27

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P

Hello Pooky, welcome smile I think everyone is just settling down from this discussion now..... anyways, enjoy being part of the club and I hope to see you and your car at some point in the future at a meet.

thumb

Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Clintos] #1574383
20/05/2016 09:54
20/05/2016 09:54
Haslemere, Surrey
M
Mark_S Offline
Forum is my job
Mark_S  Offline
Forum is my job
M

Haslemere, Surrey
I welcome high prices too but there is a maximum anyone is willing to pay for a 18 year old coupe.

Technically yes, but I'd argue that the envelope is actually HUGE depending on the individual and their level of passion for the Coupe and the car in question. If you think about it age is immaterial, people will pay millions for vintage cars.

997 C4S
Re: Another low mile coupe listed on eBay. [Re: Downhillryder] #1574465
20/05/2016 20:27
20/05/2016 20:27
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Berlin
There is a maximum that people will pay, but that maximum changes day by day, car by car, and person by person.

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3