» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (GeoffS, ucoupia, mrc), 232 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,611
Posts1,341,241
Members1,804
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,563
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,301
PeteP 21,520
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,817
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199966
27/09/2006 16:50
27/09/2006 16:50

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can someone please explain what the trend is all about when people drive round when ist generally NOT FOGGY, with their fog lights on. Is this meant to be cool and sporty or something, I dont get it. All I know is that when some berk is behind me with them on during that day is quite annoying.

A mate has an Audi coop and always drives it round, day and night with just the fog lights on? I think (i'm not sure though) that its because he the fogs are the kind of fish eyed lenses like the coops have for headlights so its percieved by other road users who take notice that he's a bit cooler that if he just had his old fashioned normals headlights on.

Whats the general angle on this fad. Am not cool becaouse i dont put mine on? Ive seen quite a few fiat coop drivers who do this also.

Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199967
27/09/2006 17:11
27/09/2006 17:11
I WANT F40
S
S1MMA Offline
Competition Level
S1MMA  Offline
Competition Level
S

I WANT F40
It's illegal to drive around with foglights on if it's not foggy or not during bad weather conditions.

People generally think it looks "cool" to do it though, hence why you see people doing it. There's no other reason really, I sometimes use the coupe front fogs to illuminate the ground better when driving down country roads with no lighting, but always turn them off if I come behind another car, or another car approaches me.

If it annoys you when someone does it behind you, either flash your rear foglights at them a few times, or just move over and let them past. No point in joining them by putting your fogs on in their face, makes you as bad as them (as other road users will also be dazzled by the light).

Sideways a LOT
Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199968
27/09/2006 17:14
27/09/2006 17:14

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It is purely a 'cool' thing. I actually agree it does look better, but still don't do it. It is, as SIMMA said, illegal and is a major distraction to other drivers.

Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199969
27/09/2006 17:21
27/09/2006 17:21

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think its the one thing the police could easily clamp down on to make a small fortune compared to speeding fines. hardly anywork for them to instigate it and should be 0 tolerance on it and a note of it somethere that if you do it twice in say a 3 month period your fine is doubled.

I sometimes drive around with my normal lights on during the day, something i picked up on in sweden and from bike riding here in the UK that it helps with visibility for the plebs that sit in the middle lane all day long soon move over when they see some dipped beams in their rear view mirror when the inside lane is clear.. works on the coop as well as one bulb has a blue hue to it so looks a little HID like and i stay legal as well. Shortens the bulbs life though but i can hang that expense to be a bit more visible to the ejits on the road..

Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199970
27/09/2006 17:23
27/09/2006 17:23
Essex
Trappy Offline
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline
Forum is my life

Essex
Its sometimes used as an indication that they're willing for a tear-up also.

Personally i don't see the big deal. On country lanes at night it is very annoying but around towns where most of these cars lurk, it doesn't bother me in the least. I use mine on country lanes to help the vision but turn them off near other cars as others have said. I also use mine around very tight roads like those on housing estates to help spot people, cats etc that may dart out in front.

I don't see the point of them really though. Anyone using them in fog soon realises that they just create a blanket of whiter fog in front of you and makes it harder to see. They aren't required by law and they don't work.

You generally only find them on better spec cars and if i'm honest i do think the less bright ones do make the cars look better. Especially crisp blue tinted ones.
Why not make them less powerful and therefore legal so people can have them on all the time?

F****** b****** thing...
Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199971
27/09/2006 17:24
27/09/2006 17:24

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They work if you have yellow bulbs in them or the lenses are yellow as they cut thru teh fog better and it worked very well on my old R19 16v

Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199972
27/09/2006 17:32
27/09/2006 17:32
Essex
Trappy Offline
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline
Forum is my life

Essex
Quote:

They work if you have yellow bulbs in them or the lenses are yellow as they cut thru teh fog better and it worked very well on my old R19 16v

Same as on my MX5. They weren't at all bright though...

Weird how humans can supposedly see better in yellow light... (change of suject coming up )

F****** b****** thing...
Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199973
27/09/2006 17:36
27/09/2006 17:36
I WANT F40
S
S1MMA Offline
Competition Level
S1MMA  Offline
Competition Level
S

I WANT F40
I think they're not just there to help you see better in fog, but for others to see you better in fog!

Like a rear fog, just makes the light stand out better, no good if you crash cos you don't see whats in front of you, but hey - at least you wont be rear ended also! (unless your dodgey italian electrics screw up after hitting a wall).

Sideways a LOT
Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199974
27/09/2006 17:39
27/09/2006 17:39
Balmedie, Aberdeen, Scotland
T
Tartandude Offline
Forum is my life
Tartandude  Offline
Forum is my life
T

Balmedie, Aberdeen, Scotland
Quote:

I don't see the point of them really though. Anyone using them in fog soon realises that they just create a blanket of whiter fog in front of you and makes it harder to see. They aren't required by law and they don't work.

I disagree with the above. The whole point of fog lights is that they light the road lower down from normal headlights. I always use my fog lights in the fog, they work well

Main Beam in fog is not a good idea though, perhaps thats what you were talking about

Ex 20VT - now something far more sensible'ish... smile
Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199975
27/09/2006 17:43
27/09/2006 17:43

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I disagree with the above. The whole point of fog lights is that they light the road lower down from normal headlights. I always use my fog lights in the fog, they work well

I'm not sure if they're even supposed to give you a better view in fog - Perhaps they're just meant to increase your visibility to other road users, just like the rear fog lamps?

Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199976
28/09/2006 00:03
28/09/2006 00:03
Dumfriesshire, Scotland
Baz76 Offline
Forum is my job
Baz76  Offline
Forum is my job

Dumfriesshire, Scotland
Front fog lights don`t really bother me,in fact the HID`s on most modern cars i find to be more dazzling than foglights. Some of them seem to be as bright (if not brighter!) than an ordinary halogen main beam.

Baz

Last edited by Baz76; 28/09/2006 00:04.

[Linked Image]
Project LE+
Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199977
28/09/2006 03:04
28/09/2006 03:04

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I use them on badly illuminated roads, Bravo has shit headlights so used them alot. Coops are quite bright so never used them. And they dont look any diferent except brightness to side lights.

Rock n roll init!

Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199978
28/09/2006 18:51
28/09/2006 18:51

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I agree. Fog lights are supposed to be used in situations where the fog is so dense that even just using your dipped beam results in a white out. Fogs lights are always mounted lower and are designed to throw out a flat, short range beam which cuts underneath the majority of the fog, illuminating the road in front of you.

Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199979
28/09/2006 20:26
28/09/2006 20:26

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've always found that people who do this always have rubbish cars, normally bog standard basic cars (like low end saxo's & clio's) - or sometimes a people carrier !

There also seem to be a lot of people who drive round with their head lights on in the day time too (i'm taking broad daylight too - not even a hint of rain)

I don't see why they think it's cool - to me they look like idiots

Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199980
28/09/2006 20:45
28/09/2006 20:45

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Front fog lights don`t really bother me,in fact the HID`s on most modern cars i find to be more dazzling than foglights. Some of them seem to be as bright (if not brighter!) than an ordinary halogen main beam.

Baz

Agree with you Baz, I was really blinded on a country road last night by a new Merc whose lights were so strong I couldn't see where I was going.
I use my fogs when really foggy and they do the job nicely.
Someone on here was pulled by the police for having his fogs on during the day time and had to show the policemen that they were in fact side lights !

Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199981
28/09/2006 21:43
28/09/2006 21:43
Essex
Trappy Offline
Forum is my life
Trappy  Offline
Forum is my life

Essex
Quote:

There also seem to be a lot of people who drive round with their head lights on in the day time too (i'm taking broad daylight too - not even a hint of rain)

TBH i normally have mine lights on. Mainly because i get in from work at 6 ish so the light is failing anyway but over weekends also. I don't think it's cool, though it does look 'better' and make me stand out me, but the main reason is to make people see me and less likely to pull out on me. Volvos have it as standard and some insurance companies supposedly reduce premiums if you fit you car with driving lights (lights always on basically).

F****** b****** thing...
Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199982
28/09/2006 21:58
28/09/2006 21:58

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

TBH i normally have mine lights on. Mainly because i get in from work at 6 ish so the light is failing anyway but over weekends also. I don't think it's cool, though it does look 'better' and make me stand out me, but the main reason is to make people see me and less likely to pull out on me. Volvos have it as standard and some insurance companies supposedly reduce premiums if you fit you car with driving lights (lights always on basically).

There is a difference between fog lights and driving lights though. I believe the ones fitted to the coop are fog lights.

I always drive with my dipped headlights when it is raining or a particularly dull day for the same reason above.

Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199983
28/09/2006 23:23
28/09/2006 23:23

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

There is a difference between fog lights and driving lights though. I believe the ones fitted to the coop are fog lights.

This is true. The Probe has driving lights instead of fog lights. They don't have a separate switch & just come on whenever main beam is on, so you wouldn't drive with those on full-time either.

My light-related pet hate at the moment is 4x4s driving with their lights on in daylight on the motorway - They're just at eye level in the Coupe and probably most other cars, which is almost annoying enough to make you want to move out of the way . Almost.

Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199984
29/09/2006 04:40
29/09/2006 04:40
Darlo / Leeds
Darlo_Nick Offline
My life on the forum
Darlo_Nick  Offline
My life on the forum

Darlo / Leeds
After reading these posts it looks like the lights on my coop must be shockingly bad!

With my normal driving lights on i struggle to see in complete darnkness, even full beam seems to do sod-all!

A number of my friends have also commented on this, and the only solution is to put my fog-lights on, as this greatly increases visibility immediately in front of the coop!

I make sure i only have the fogs on in the lack of street lighting however, i'm not a complete dick about it!

Instagram : Nick16vt
Re: Fog lights on all the time... Why? #199985
29/09/2006 14:38
29/09/2006 14:38

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Weird how humans can supposedly see better in yellow light... (change of suject coming up )

They don't, quite. What happens is that the blue end of the visible light spectrum gets reflected strongly by fog, whereas the red end (including yellow) doesn't. Yellow fogs have had the blue end filtered out. So yellow is both easy to see with and doesn't reflect off of the fog, so much. That's why.