» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (andyps, carmine), 202 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,599
Posts1,341,088
Members1,801
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,553
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,300
PeteP 21,512
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,786
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: I'm not one to mock deeply held beliefs ... [Re: Brewster] #476777
06/11/2007 23:33
06/11/2007 23:33
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline OP
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline OP
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
 Originally Posted By: Brewster
You see, Andrew, debating with me isn't as bad as you think at times....

Quite, while I may not agree with your views on many, many things at least you never present them as if you've just randomly plucked words from a book on the subject.

Dear monos, a secret truth.
Re: I'm not one to mock deeply held beliefs ... [Re: Welformed] #476839
07/11/2007 00:49
07/11/2007 00:49

J
julian
Unregistered
julian
Unregistered
J

WF those details only apply if you ignor such factors as the existance of dark matter...
'The first indications that there is a significant fraction of missing matter in the Universe was from studies of the rotation of our own Galaxy, the Milky Way. The orbital period of the Sun around the Galaxy gives us a mean mass for the amount of material inside the Sun's orbit. But, a detailed plot of the orbital speed of the Galaxy as a function of radius reveals the distribution of mass within the Galaxy. The simplest type of rotation is wheel rotation shown below. Rotation following Kepler's 3rd law is shown above as planet-like or differential rotation. Notice that the orbital speeds falls off as you go to greater radii within the Galaxy. This is called a Keplerian rotation curve.

To determine the rotation curve of the Galaxy, stars are not used due to interstellar extinction. Instead, 21-cm maps of neutral hydrogen are used. When this is done, one finds that the rotation curve of the Galaxy stays flat out to large distances, instead of falling off as in the figure above. This means that the mass of the Galaxy increases with increasing distance from the center.
The surprising thing is there is very little visible matter beyond the Sun's orbital distance from the center of the Galaxy. So, the rotation curve of the Galaxy indicates a great deal of mass, but there is no light out there. In other words, the halo of our Galaxy is filled with a mysterious dark matter of unknown composition and type.'

Re: I'm not one to mock deeply held beliefs ... [Re: ] #476955
07/11/2007 02:18
07/11/2007 02:18
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline OP
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline OP
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
 Originally Posted By: Blueman

Originally Posted By: Sumplug
Ok then.
Under physical law, to get something to be physical, it needs effort from something. What gives the physical ability of that something? Chicken and egg thing.

Even I can this this is bull. What is this physical law?

As I was making dinner it suddenly dawned on me what point Sumplug was trying to get across here.

It's a religious / pseudo-science arguement to "prove" the existance of god, which is normally called the first cause argument.

It generally runs along the lines of ... every effect must have a cause, but something must have triggered that cause, because it is itself an effect and so it must go back right the way to the big bang. Because this was the first event it had no cause, therefore the cause must have been god.

It's an old argument which falls in to trouble the minute you ask, "Well what caused god, then?" which generally gets either a stupid answer ("god has always existed") or a change of subject ("you'll burn in hell for asking such wicked questions").

Dear monos, a secret truth.
Re: I'm not one to mock deeply held beliefs ... [Re: AndrewR] #477067
07/11/2007 03:44
07/11/2007 03:44

B
Blueman
Unregistered
Blueman
Unregistered
B

Ah. I understand now, so my last post isn't entirely relevant. It's still bull though.

Re: I'm not one to mock deeply held beliefs ... [Re: ] #477405
07/11/2007 15:24
07/11/2007 15:24
Anywhere that has roads
W
Welformed Offline
Forum is my life
Welformed  Offline
Forum is my life
W

Anywhere that has roads
Of course it's bull... the human mind is very good at bull, especially when it stops thinking and thinks it has reached the end of understanding.

Here's a theory based around the multiverse superstring theory that the big bang was/is actually the rse-end of a black hole in another universe.

Basically, matter and space-time is absorbed and as far as we know destroyed, in the form of a complete breakdown of our laws of physics when it enters a blackhole, in our universe. Everything - matter, space, time is crushed beyond existence at the theoretical singluarity at the centre. But the singularity can never actually be reached by anything. It would be too small for a single atom to exist in the same place for instance, let alone all the matter blackholes consume.

But if the laws of our universe cease to exist, then technically it's not our universe... and it could be the connection to another. Blackholes could be the doors that connect mulitverses, except the multiverse-brane they connect to either have laws where nothing of our universe can exist and that all blackholes lead to the same multiverse brane (which would be a universe of nothingness as far as we could understand it), or that they connect to one of a infinite number of parallel universes. But what is to say that the big bang (or big inflate as it really is) was the result of energy from another multiverse and is being spewed out the back-end of a blackhole equivalent creating our 'bubble' of existence? Suddenly the energy is subject to a completely new set of laws and bursts into the existence we know it as space-time and matter, from what seems like total nothingness...

It would mean there is no 'creator' and that there are possibly an infinite number of universes like our own.

edit: @ Julian, ok but I don't see why dark matter cannot be part of the same closed-system? It's still all part of the same universe, the only implication is that there is a lot of it and we can't detect it, yet. There's a whole load of dark energy theories about this anyway.

A 340Bhp, 300lb/ft powered thread hijacker
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5