» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 117 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,610
Posts1,341,237
Members1,804
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,563
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,301
PeteP 21,520
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,817
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Dual boot/Linux install help required #739793
05/01/2009 13:10
05/01/2009 13:10
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Edited to say
This thread really is about dual booting Linux and Windows so if you have no interest in either of those topics then I'll save a few minutes of your life and stop you from reading further. :-)

I want to set up my computer so that it dual boots some flavour of Linux and XP. I've never used any form of Linux before (bar using xwindows on Unix machines *cough cough* 20 years ago), all my PC experience has been with Windows.

My desire to install Linux is more to do with the desire to learn something new than any actual need. If I like it however I'd like to wean myself off Windows.

My basic questions are.

1. How best to partition the HD?
2. How best to set up the dual boot?
3. What flavour of Linux to use?

1. How best to partition the HD?
Eventually I'll be installing a NAS on my router to hold all my files but for now I'll just be using the local machine for storage. Can all my data be held on the same partition and accessed by both the Linux and Windows install? FAT32 or NTFS for this? I did read that Linux wasn't particularly good at reading NTFS partitions but this was from quite an old website so maybe this isn't so relevant anymore? Is it best to have 3 partitions (1 Windows OS, 1 Linux OS and 1 shared data) or just keep them as two separate entities? I don't mind keeping the two OS's as completely seperate entities but would prefer it if they could use the same central data partition. How much space should I reserve for a Linux OS partition.

2. How best to set up the dual boot?
GRUB vs LILO vs somethingelse answer on a postcard please.

3. What flavour of Linux to use?
It will be running on an Athlon 3400 with 2 Gb RAM. I'll be using it mostly for t'internet, email, photo editing, music editing and a bit of 3D CAD (Pro/Engineer). It would be nice to get all the applications listed above running on it but not essential as I have them in Windows anyway.

I'll be having a better read of this, this, this and this later. Are there any better guides that I should read or are any of those particularly useless for my needs?

Last edited by Wishy; 07/12/2009 23:39.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #739808
05/01/2009 13:37
05/01/2009 13:37

S
SuperCouper
Unregistered
SuperCouper
Unregistered
S

I'm currently using XP 32Bit, Vista 32bit and openSUSE 11.1 64Bit. Grub works perfectly for me, very easy to setup and manage. I'm now attempting to install MythTv, being that my knowledge on Linux is tiny this has been interesting!

I used the default options for SUSE install on a new 250Gb disk I think the install size is about the same as Vista so quite bulky, nothing special needed with the setup all down to pesonal preference really, Vista and XP run off another HDD.

Installed XP first then Vista to dual boot, this is the simplest way to dual boot XP and Vista as the bootloader is different, good old MS.

Best thing to do is play, you can't bust anything. Set it up as you said and it will work fine, why do you need to dual boot first anyway? Setup a Virtual machine and get familiar test\play with it \:\)

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #739826
05/01/2009 14:08
05/01/2009 14:08
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
I have to re-install the everything on the machine anyway so I thought I might as well set it it up now.

Last edited by Wishy; 05/01/2009 14:08.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #739904
05/01/2009 15:21
05/01/2009 15:21
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Can't really comment - I don't use vista or 64-bit linux - but I'd go for kubuntu, and I partition my dual boot XP/kubuntu system thus (from memory - numbers should add up to about 160G and they don't!):

partition 1: 3 gig Acer system restore
partition 2: 10 gig XP C: drive, FAT32
partition 3: 40 gig XP D: drive, FAT32
partition 4: remainder of disk, sub-partitioned
4a: 1g swap partition
4b: 128M /boot ext 3
4c: 20G / ext3
4d: 80G /home rieserfs

All the windows partitions are visible to linux, none of the linux is available to windows. Install windows first, and because you can't make a FAT32 partition that big in windows (and it won't tell you why!) you make the d: partition in the linux partition tool on installation. You'll need the expert mode, rather than relying on defaults.

Setting everything to FAT32 seems to be most reliable; I'm not yet happy that linux can handle writes properly on NTFS and to be honest I'm not convinced windows can either. I may be out of date on that. Ext 3 because it's vaguely journalled for the boot and root sectors; rieserfs because it's a good journalled system for data that matters.

A separate /home section so anything I write won't be be lost if I re-install; 20g on / to give room to install stuff without the need for a separate /usr or /var partition. Kubuntu because the interface is more familiar to a windows user.

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #739997
05/01/2009 16:58
05/01/2009 16:58
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
 Originally Posted By: barnacle
Can't really comment - I don't use vista or 64-bit linux

That's good because I'm using XP and am not bothered about any 64bit variants. ;\)

I'll have a look at Kubuntu.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #740116
05/01/2009 19:07
05/01/2009 19:07
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
As written, all the windows partitions are writeable and readable from linux. Also, if you're playing, you really only need the swap partition (the same size or a little bigger than your memory, usually, or a gig, whichever is bigger) and the / partition; /home and /boot will happily live in there - it's just convenient to play without killing your home partition.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #764532
04/02/2009 15:11
04/02/2009 15:11
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
A month later and I'm about ready to get cracking. XP is now freshly installed and I spent last night downloading several hundred Mb of security updates. FWIW this is not because its taken me a month to install XP, just that I only got round to starting the install this week.

I'm going the Kubuntu route wholly for the reason you mentioned above. Is there anywhere useful I want to be reading for help other than Kubuntu.org?

On my travels around the internet I found FS-Drive which lets XP read/write to /ext3 partitions. Has anyone used this and is it any good? My definition of good would be reliable for my data. The idea that I could avoid using FAT32 for my data is quite attractive to me.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #764547
04/02/2009 15:23
04/02/2009 15:23
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Personally, I would not let windows software read any other OS's partition. However, read/write NTFS access is apparently available - though I don't know if I trust that any more! I think you may find that the ntfs-3g driver package is not automatically loaded. Reading is there already; I suspect that to enable the writing you might need to edit /etc/fstab.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #764994
04/02/2009 22:08
04/02/2009 22:08
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
The idea to use /ext3 for my shared data partition which would be my (XP data)/(Kubuntu /home) partition came from this guide. The model I'm looking at using is third from bottom.

My understanding from the FS-Drive FAQ is that for my shared data (/home) partition, I'd get the full benefits of /ext3 whilst accessing it from Kunbuntu and it would behave as an /ext2 drive whilst being accessed from Windows.

In my mind (I may be very wrong as this is all new to me) this is at least better than having a shared FAT32 partition. I appreciate that my data wouldn't be as secure as having the /home drive as /rieserfs but that isn't an option for me as my day to day data needs to be available to XP.

I have no desire to get at / from XP or at NTFS from Kubuntu. It's just my data I want to be able to get from both.

Windows is now doing everything I want (at least before I try to put in my second sound card and graphics card ) so in the meantime I have a Kubuntu install disc burning a hole in my pocket. Just logging off for a while, I may be gone some time.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #765081
04/02/2009 23:12
04/02/2009 23:12
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
It's a matter of taste by now, I suspect. My instinct is to have linux able to look at a windows partition rather than vice versa; linux was always designed to make it easy to hook alternate file systems into the kernel, whereas windows only ever expected to run its own systems.

It seems that NTFS is now considered OK, so FAT32 is no longer necessary. That said, I've never had an issue with FAT32 shared partitions.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #765247
05/02/2009 01:18
05/02/2009 01:18

N
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
N

Since when has Windows been able to read ext2 or ext3?

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #765383
05/02/2009 11:11
05/02/2009 11:11
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #765572
05/02/2009 14:58
05/02/2009 14:58

N
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
N

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #765696
05/02/2009 16:46
05/02/2009 16:46
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
 Originally Posted By: Wishy
Just logging off for a while, I may be gone some time.

Well that didn't go very well. My first attempt left me with no cursor and a screen that looked like this! The happily running laptop in the middle is running good old reliable Vista.

Fortunately, after a while of no activity the cat came along, gave me a slap and pointed out that I must have pressed the return key twice when the menus first came up and inadvertently gone into the "run kubuntu as is" option. She sorted it for me but obviously wasn't too happy about having her time wasted.

Oh well, try again tonight.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #766070
05/02/2009 22:50
05/02/2009 22:50
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
and

I is typing this from my Kubuntu install.

My second monitor still looks like it's downloading a Spectrum game but I'm getting there.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #766297
06/02/2009 10:11
06/02/2009 10:11
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Well done that man. Can't help you with the second monitor; never tried that.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #776299
18/02/2009 17:58
18/02/2009 17:58
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Waffly bit
I got a driver update for my graphics card which gave me a decent resolution for my main monitor (was stuck at 800x600 before that). When I installed the drivers I got a warning message from Kubuntu regarding the drivers being proprietary, not open source and that Kubuntu wouldn't be able to fix tham if there was a problem. I'm used to the daft "nanny state" warnings that you get from Windows along the lines of "Do you really really really want to look in *that* folder at *your* files on *your* computer?" so ignored it.

I did then get the second monitor displaying after a bit of fiddling but only at a low resolution. For some reason Kubuntu only detected my second monitor as being the same type as my first, which it isn't. More fiddling resulted in no graphical interface and a bit more resulted in no Kubuntu at all so I re-installed the bugger. I concluded that the following command is useful.
cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.bak.saved

I then had problems with my Windows install of a magnitude I have never seen before and ended up torching that install as well. I couldn't boot from any CD so had to resort to using XP install floppies and starting the lot from scratch. crazy

For the record I decided upon the following set up for my 300G SATA drive.

60G Windows system drive NTFS
180G Shared data drive TBD but probably NTFS
10G Windows restore data TBD but probably NTFS
4G /home /ext3
128M /boot /ext3
30G / /ext3
4G Kubuntu swap (2G system RAM)

I'm now back as I was last week with a working system albeit with only one monitor at a low resolution in Kubuntu. FWIW I have an nForce2 chipset with an embedded GeForce4 on board.

New questions
1. Is it a problem to use proprietary non open source drivers (eg graphics)? Should I take note of any such warning notices from Kubuntu (see start of waffly bit above)?

2. I use my phone as a USB flash drive which Kubuntu can happily read but I couldn't work out the Kubuntu equivalent of "Safely remove hardware" resulting in a "possible data corruption message" on my phone when I removed it. Is there a way to do the "safely remove hardware" in Kubuntu?

3. What is anyone's recommended photo editing software in Linux? I had a play around with the gimp and didn't find it too bad but the lack of precise control over cropping and resizing still had me running back to Photoshop.

4. Same question for browser, I found the Konqueror a bit clunky so was going to pop firefox in. Anybody got any preferences?

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #776316
18/02/2009 18:16
18/02/2009 18:16
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
1) the non-proprietary warning is because the license doesn't allow them to include the code directly; generally there will be no harm. I'm using non-prop broadcom wifi drivers and non-prop flash for firefox.

2) It will usually put an icon on the desktop; if it's mounted, it will have little green triangle bottom right of the icon; if not, it won't. Right click on the icon and select 'safely remove'; little green triangle will go away and you can remove. Generally not a problem anyway unless you have outstanding writes to the device. There's a more complicated way involving the terminal and the umount command.

3) Personal preference. I don't do a lot but I keep the gimp around for resizing and cropping. I'd rather have a linux paintshoppro V5 but the company have told me forget it.

4) Firefox for me, with adblocker+ and noscript plugins.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #826067
05/05/2009 15:32
05/05/2009 15:32
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Might as well resurrect this thread for some questions and make it a single thread record of my foray into LinuxVille.

I finally got both screens working properly but that was more accident than design. I took the oppportunity to upgrade to 9.something (angry antelope or whatever) and when I'd done that the dual screen set up worked perfectly without resorting to proprietary drivers. smile

Questions
1. Idiots corner

How do I install Firefox properly? I downloaded it, un-tar'ed it but I can't get it to appear as my default browser and the only way I can get it to run is to go to Wishy\home where I un-tar'ed it and run the binary directly. That surely can't be right. The love affair between me and Konqueror is over (not that it was much to start with).

2. Windows corner
My windows install has blown up, probably due to a house power failure whilst Windows was running. Is there any way that I can run something like chkdsk /r in Linux on the Windows partition?
I'd like to avoid resorting to running that from a Windows set up disc because it's a small form factor machine and I can't do it without taking the case off and attaching a floppy and CD drive directly to the inside of the machine.

Last edited by Wishy; 05/05/2009 15:42. Reason: didn't scan

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #826162
05/05/2009 17:51
05/05/2009 17:51
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
1) sudo apt-get install firefox
I think it asks you if you want the non-free plugins, but I think they're called 'firefox-plugins'. Or go through the Adept Installer.

2) I think there is, but I'm not familiar with all flavours. For fat32, http://linux.die.net/man/8/fsck.vfat - but for NTFS you may be out of luck.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #826310
05/05/2009 21:07
05/05/2009 21:07
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Funnily enough I found an idiots guide to installing firefox just about 5 seconds ago.

It is an NTFS volume I'm trying to repair.

On the plus side I'm typing this on the Linux bit of my computer that still does work.

Next question, I can set the machine up dual screen (OK so it's called TwinView) fine but it won't save the settings to my X server xorg.conf file. Any ideas? I will of course be trying that Google thingy for a solution.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #826348
05/05/2009 22:05
05/05/2009 22:05
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
I haven't had to look at an xorg.conf for years - till last week when I was trying to speed up the frame rate on something (interpolated isabel or whatever it's called is damn slow on my chipset). It looks like most of the parameters aren't saved in the .conf any more, but I don't know where they actually are.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #888544
25/08/2009 12:18
25/08/2009 12:18
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
I'm resurrecting this again as I might as well use this thread as a rolling history of my foray into PenguinLand.

I solved the dual screen issue, this link helped sort out. Some more reading showed that there is a bug in the nVidia configuration utility in that it doesn't have the correct permissions to save to the xorg.conf file. The upshot of this is that you can change what you like but it would never be saved upon reboot.

I even worked out how to switch my boot order around so that Windows was my default option. I still use it most and having to wait and select the desired menu option every boot was becoming a pain.

Next questions
1. Does anyone know a really good online "Linux for dummies" type tutorial? Basics on the principles of what the various sudo command thingies actually do and a handy list of commands would help me a lot.

2. I made a mint7 KDE pendrive install which worked except that it just boots me to a command prompt. How the flipping heck do I invoke the GUI from there?

3. Anyone know how to partition a USB pendrive in Kubuntu? I'd like to make my pendrive dual boot but I'm struggling here. I've found plenty of instructions as how to do this in Windows (such as utilities to swap the removeable media bit) but none of them work. Forgive me if this is easy as I haven't started to look properly at this in Linux yet. I just thought I'd ask whilst I was on the subject.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #888562
25/08/2009 12:56
25/08/2009 12:56
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
2) try 'startx' or 'kdm' and see what happens. I'm guessing here...

3) https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/installation-guide/i386/partition-programs.html

See how I skipped past (1)?

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #888656
25/08/2009 14:52
25/08/2009 14:52
Harpenden
S
sugerbear Offline
Je suis un Coupé
sugerbear  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
S

Harpenden
I am using virtualbox from sun (freeware) to boot ubuntu server and desktop versions on my mac (they run under a virtual machine) I think it's a good idea to use a virtual machine until you are confident with the software.

And I can have several version of Linux running at once of try out different versions of Linux)

works under Linux and windows xp as well and does away with the need to dual boot and mess up your existing hard drive

Last edited by sugerbear; 25/08/2009 14:53.

How to make a startrek widget cable >> http://tinyurl.com/dyje6fy
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: sugerbear] #925917
28/10/2009 23:19
28/10/2009 23:19
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Latest update.

I've got my Kubuntu set up working pretty much as I'd like it so I thought I'd mess things up a bit by changing graphics cards!

I've changed from an on board nVidia card to an AGP ATI one (for reasons that are way too long for me to get into here) and I now have nothing but a command prompt. Windoze is fine with the change.

I've since learnt that I should have changed the device entry from nVidia to vesa before swapping cards.

Is there any way to do this from the command prompt? I would very much like to avoid having to unplug the ATI card, wire up on board nVidia card, set the bios back to looking at the on board card again, start Kubuntu, do the xorg.conf edit, shut down, unwire nVidia card, plug ATI card back in, set Bios back where it was and start again. In particular the location of the box and wiring is a pain so if I could do this from a command prompt I would be quite happy.

P.S. Anyone used GNUMoney as I'm looking at trying this?

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #925922
28/10/2009 23:27
28/10/2009 23:27

N
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
N

To reconfigure your graphics card from the command prompt type:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #926068
29/10/2009 10:53
29/10/2009 10:53
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Thanking you, I'll try that tonight.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #926377
29/10/2009 21:33
29/10/2009 21:33
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Suprisingly pain free when you when ask someone who knows what they're doing!

I is typing this from Kubuntu again, now to get the dual screens working on my new card. smile

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #926477
30/10/2009 00:08
30/10/2009 00:08

N
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
N

cool thumb

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #928879
03/11/2009 21:18
03/11/2009 21:18
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Ubuntu 9.04 doesn't get me anywhere. It hangs on an illegible screen a minute or so after selecting install so I can't do anything with it. I'm back on Kubuntu 8.10 now and I'm going to try the FGLRX drivers for a laugh. My next post may be from windows!

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #928898
03/11/2009 21:40
03/11/2009 21:40
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
I can't bloody do anything again asrrrrgghhhhh!
^That's because FGLRX blew up Kubuntu 8.10.

Have found the "safe mode" install option for Ubuntu 9.04 so got that installed. Still no second monitor though. Not sure if I can be bothered to try FGLRX again tonight, need to sit down away from a PC!

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #928947
03/11/2009 22:32
03/11/2009 22:32
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England
I have just read through the whole thread, very interesting.

Keep up the story smile

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole 2.0 16v ABS
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #929177
04/11/2009 11:01
04/11/2009 11:01
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Not sure if I can be bothered to try FGLRX again tonight

Well I did try, now typing this from a working windows PC!

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #930182
05/11/2009 22:35
05/11/2009 22:35
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Well tonight I will be mostly using Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron.

Another 'buntu install, another browse to this thread on my phone so I could remember which partition was which upon partition selection, another desktop that won't run my dual screen set up properly.

Tonight though, I won't be trying the ATI proprietry driver. Coolant hose of death went on the coop this morning so I'll be sitting down and watching tele with a large whiskey (coops fine by the way, temps still normal, parts ordered and booked in at garage).

laugh

Last edited by Wishy; 05/11/2009 22:35.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #935566
16/11/2009 22:02
16/11/2009 22:02
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Well no success at all with this version either. 5 flavours of Linux have now been unable to work with my graphics card properly (ATI HD2600AGP FWIW). Basically they all work but none will run dual screen. I'm so at a loss I've registered at the Ubuntu forums!

I think I may stay with Unbuntu rather than Kubuntu now as
a) Most of the 'tinternet help is focussed to Ubuntu.
b) I much prefer that I start with Firefox than that horrible Konqueror thingy.

On a more positive note I found a great dummies guide which I intend to get through here.

I also forget to link (for my reference purposes more than anything as I do pop back to this thread everytime I re-install) how to set the boot order to default to Windows. That link is here.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #935568
16/11/2009 22:05
16/11/2009 22:05
S
samsite999 Offline
I AM a Coop
samsite999  Offline
I AM a Coop
S

stupidly, the one thing stopping me move over completely on my laptop is the fact that firefox is laggy with the scrolling of websites, general use. Poor fonts (although I have got it better) and lack of a good msn client

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: samsite999] #935571
16/11/2009 22:09
16/11/2009 22:09
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
I have noticed that Firefox doesn't look as nice on 'buntu but it doesn't annoy quite enough to be bothered.

If I could just make the flipping dual screen to work and get a home accounting package to migrate (Money 2000 at the moment) then my days of windows would be very severely numbered.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #947496
07/12/2009 23:31
07/12/2009 23:31
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Latest update
I now have my ATI card and proprietary drivers all installed happily and even have windows that wobble when I move them around. FWIW these are the instructions that got it going.

Dorky blah blah (as if this thread isn't)

Now what remains is that I still can't get the dual screen thingy to work properly. What I get is .......

click to enlarge

Followed by

click to enlarge

when I untick clone screens but whatever I do leaves me with two identical cloned screens.
Clicking APPLY makes no difference and whatever I do gives me a pair of cloned screens.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Wishy; 10/12/2009 14:40.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1039520
19/05/2010 21:38
19/05/2010 21:38
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Here we go again. Had a go at 10.4 to see if I could get my ATI card working properly before binning it and going to buy an NVidia one.

Realised tonight that I'd downloaded Kubuntu instead of the intended Ubuntu but installed it anyway. To my absolute delight TwinView worked straight away on both of my monitors without needing to resort to fglrx etc, that is of course until I reboot at which point it just hangs on restart, everytime. Just popped into Windows to print the CD cover for my Ubuntu and will see how that goes.

I WILL get my dual monitor set up working.
I WILL get my dual monitor set up working. grr

On the positive side I realised that if I don't format /home then I keep all my browser bookmarks.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1039586
19/05/2010 22:56
19/05/2010 22:56
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
That's why you keep /home on a separate partition...

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1039632
20/05/2010 01:45
20/05/2010 01:45

C
CoupeNewbie
Unregistered
CoupeNewbie
Unregistered
C

It's threads like this that remind me why I shouldn't start playing with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Oovaavoo or any of the other Pokemon.

Best of luck though....

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #1040113
20/05/2010 20:33
20/05/2010 20:33
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Eranu tongue

Thanks, I'm feeling way more confident with this OS after only really intermittently faffing around with it over the last 15 months. Go on you know you want to really.

@ Barnacle
Yep, and I know you did tell about /home way back near the start of the thread but it's only this time that I remembered not to select format /home on install. rolleyes

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1040115
20/05/2010 20:46
20/05/2010 20:46
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
I have to admit to a faint frisson of amusement when on other fora (not here) people who whinge about how hard linux is reinstall their entire windows system every six months to stop it slowing down... and assume this is both normal and expected.

Idiots.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1040132
20/05/2010 21:28
20/05/2010 21:28
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Yes quite, after only 15 months I can already agree with that. A full blown Windows install is something that I will only start when I've got a few free evenings ahead (just in case).

Newbie or not I can now get Linux up and running (albeit without loads of the apps that I need) in 30 minutes. I installed two different distros last night!

Update on mine is that finally Ubuntu 10.4 finally likes my graphics card and dual screen works happily without any proprietary drivers. I'm been on such a roll tonight I've also set all the partitions on my USB pen drive how I want so my next steps will be a Windows/Linux Dual install live USB stick thingie. That should be fun. nerd

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1040292
21/05/2010 08:50
21/05/2010 08:50
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
You've almost persuaded me to see if I can get my 10.04 to work with both an internal 1366*768 and an external 1280*1024... this caused some confusion last time I tried it.

That's a G4500 chipset.

<after a quick test>

Blow me down with a feather, it works. Either clone the existing screen or grow a separate screen on the external monitor - result.

Much better than all the faffing around on 9.10 - just tell it to detect and it does it all. And it doesn't complain if you unplug the external monitor, either.

Last edited by barnacle; 21/05/2010 09:05. Reason: I tested it

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1040322
21/05/2010 09:25
21/05/2010 09:25
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
9.10 made such a mess of my install I went running and screaming all the way back to 8.04 and stayed there until Wednesday night (happy albeit only with cloned monitors).

Next step, GnuMoney for the household finances and the all singing and dancing dual boot USB stick install/live CD. My XP machine reads the partitions I made last night that it needs to so I'm on the way there.

After that, a decent graphics editing app (I don't get on with the Gimp, and have been spoilt by having Photoshop at home and work) and I would be 95% Windows free.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1040340
21/05/2010 09:43
21/05/2010 09:43
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
sudo apt-get install virtualbox

click to enlarge

And for those who know what sudo means...

click to enlarge

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1040420
21/05/2010 11:34
21/05/2010 11:34
S
samsite999 Offline
I AM a Coop
samsite999  Offline
I AM a Coop
S

Good find Neil laugh
Although I can see both sides, this post illustrates just how hard even the simple tasks with different hardware can be with linux.

Saying that I have a windows 7 laptop in front of me dead because of a windows update, and no simple uninstall is possible frown

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: samsite999] #1040425
21/05/2010 11:41
21/05/2010 11:41

N
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
N

Sam, download Puppy Linux and install it on a USB stick and boot the laptop from than. You can then try to remove the offending driver. (I'm assuming that it allows you to watch the log as it boots).

Last edited by NuIotaChi; 21/05/2010 11:41.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #1040429
21/05/2010 11:47
21/05/2010 11:47
S
samsite999 Offline
I AM a Coop
samsite999  Offline
I AM a Coop
S

The thing currently wont even boot in to a live distro sick
Im struggling to find out just whats wrong with it, its currently looking a little more like disk corruption, having just finished a check however, no errors!

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: samsite999] #1040433
21/05/2010 11:56
21/05/2010 11:56
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Originally Posted By: samsite999
Although I can see both sides, this post illustrates just how hard even the simple tasks with different hardware can be with linux.

This picture probably sums it up for me. Guess which is my Linux dual screen set up and which is Vista!
click to enlarge

Fortunately this turned out to be a defective user problem. So easy the cat fixed it.

Last edited by Wishy; 21/05/2010 11:57.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: samsite999] #1040437
21/05/2010 11:59
21/05/2010 11:59

N
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
N

oooh, that sick huh?

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #1040442
21/05/2010 12:05
21/05/2010 12:05
S
samsite999 Offline
I AM a Coop
samsite999  Offline
I AM a Coop
S

Thats funny as my windows XP install is just fine on triple screen! (now quad)
click to enlarge

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1040446
21/05/2010 12:08
21/05/2010 12:08
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
But in such cases, the differences are almost always down to the manufacturer of the hardware not making the driver information available to the linux developers...

Linux has had bad press as a geek's OS, and I've plenty of trouble in the past trying to install software where the authors have assumed that any user will have the latest versions and libraries, but it's getting better largely as a result of Mark Shuttleworth and Ubuntu. The consistency is so much better than it was only a year or two ago, and the device support is equally improved. I haven't had to compile a kernel in ten years...

But consider some of the tricks it can do - would you expect windows to be able to run linux applications natively? I can run all the software I've written in windows, in linux. Windows refuses to accept the presence of any file system except FAT and NTFS - and it won't even follow its own rules on FAT... try formatting a multi-gigabyte partition with FAT32. It's legal, to specification, but Windows won't do it. Meanwhile, Linux cheerfully reads anything thrown at it...

It can be difficult - as can anything worth doing - but it can be simple to. Daughter has used it for a couple of years now as her only OS, for all the things most people in their thirties might expect to do and with no support from me, including reinstallation after a disc failure. I'll be feeding it to my octogenarian parents shortly, to avoid yet another windows help-desk phone call!

I wonder how much of Windows' alleged superiority is simply down to the fact that it's delivered by default on the majority of new systems? People are simply used to it.

Neil

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1040470
21/05/2010 12:47
21/05/2010 12:47
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Originally Posted By: Barnacle
I wonder how much of Windows' alleged superiority is simply down to the fact that it's delivered by default on the majority of new systems?

Quite probably ALL of it. The flipside of that is of course that *nix's security and stability superiority could be seen as just because they are less systems around and therefore less to be hacked.

One thing that did suprise when I started to move over is that I always got the impression from Linux users that the OS was really stable from the off and didn't require numerous patches issued after the fact like Windows. That bubble was soon burst when my first Linux install greeted me with the news that there were loads of updates ready for me!

Don't get me wrong here as I'm just playing devil's advocate a bit. Despite being a long term Windows user I am making substantial efforts at these 'buntu thingies.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1040477
21/05/2010 12:59
21/05/2010 12:59
S
samsite999 Offline
I AM a Coop
samsite999  Offline
I AM a Coop
S

I see your point Neil, I have linux on a number of PC's around the house and for the most part, its simply a case of install and forget.
They perform the task they were assigned to do with little or anything in the form of maintenance.

You do need to concede however that software repository's are difficult for a new user to get there head around, also the installation of a package from a download and not a repository is ni on impossible to do correctly.
You then have good old dependency hell.

All of this is slowly improving, when you have to force a user to use sudo commands however, you have already lost.

If linux had the support of the hardware venders from the start and were not only a secondary consideration when creating drivers that it would be a lot more mainstream.

Until software devs start cross platforming apps like Adobe, Autodesk, bently. Its never going to get main stream as as such never in to the homes.

For the most part a windows sytem works, Mine is stable and has been for a long time, My windows 2000 server box has been up for over 6 months with no issues. This laptop however has broken for no reason I can see bar user, id expect giving them a linux laptop would have eventuality come out with the same results however

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: samsite999] #1040518
21/05/2010 14:15
21/05/2010 14:15
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
The 'sudo apt-get install' I mentioned earlier is just one of many options; I don't have a problem with terminals and I'll tend to use that approach, but there are at least two other graphical ways of doing it - including the dead easy ' Ubuntu software centre '. Just click and it's done.

Have you looked at 10.04's software installation? Can't do anything remotely similar on any windows. Also, DLL hell is much worse on windows.

That said - I have an absolute and uncompromising attitude to dynamic linking anyway. The reasons given as to why it's a good idea have been demonstrated so often and for so long to be fundamentally wrong... any and every program apart from the OS should be compiled statically linked every time. That way, if it works when delivered, it works for ever.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1079215
31/07/2010 22:49
31/07/2010 22:49
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
I'm returning to this now as I'm having trouble connecting to a VPN that I want to use. It works fine in XP and Vista but I'd like to do this in Ubuntu as well.

Anyone care to give me an idiots guide to troubleshooting? I've been going through this guide but end up with an error (VPN connection failed) when I try to connect. I've installed network-manager-pptp and created a VPN connection using server name/username/password. I don't seem to see what I've missed and it was easy peasy in that *other* operating system.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1079266
01/08/2010 08:09
01/08/2010 08:09
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
I understood it was installed by default on 10.04? Never used it so I can't advise, but:

http://computergyan.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/out-of-the-box-support-for-pptp-vpn-in-ubuntu-10-04/

There's a long 'how-i-did-it' post halfway down the first page here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307345

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1093011
27/08/2010 21:37
27/08/2010 21:37
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
My understanding was that I still needed to install the pptp plug in afterwards which is what I did. From your first link it looks that this wasn't necessary so I either made a mess of installing the plug in I didn't need anyway or missed a setting off. I certainly didn't allow stateful encryption for MPPE last time so that could have been it. Either way, it now appears to work, at least it connects. Thank you.

My VNC client of choice (Real VNC) doesn't appear to work with x64 Linux (more about that 64 thing later) and I haven't managed to get the built in one to work so can't do much with my VPN at the moment but I'm moving forwards.

Other news!

My new machine is now built and I've switched back to nVidia for the graphics after having a mare trying to get my old ATI card to work properly. My twin view screen now works with propriety drivers so it finally (18 months?) displays how I want it. yipee

With my new machine having a 64bit processor, I decided to give the x64 version of Ubuntu and I is typing from that install now.

Bit for my reference later
My new fangled 1Tb SATA II drive is now split as

275Gb Windoze XP (NTFS)
550Gb Shared data (NTFS)
10Gb System restore (NTFS)
6Gb /home /ext4
128Mb /boot /ext4
110Gb / /ext4
8Gb Swap

Questions
1. I don't need to because the set up is so trivial for me but could I have copied over my old /home directory for my 32 bit Ubuntu to the location for the 64 bit one and have everything work? Just curious.

2. When I downloaded the 64bit desktop version of 10.04 it warns "Not recommended for daily desktop usage". Is there any particular reason for this?

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1093032
27/08/2010 22:09
27/08/2010 22:09

N
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
N

Q1. Yes.... in theory. All of your files will be ok, but be careful about some of the config files and directories (those that start with a '.' and are normally hidden. If you're going to copy these, take a backup copy of the ones you already have, just in case something doesn't like the old config.

Q2. Dunno.... don't understand why they should say this, perhaps they feel that that x64 software may not be 99.999999% bug free yet.

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #1093051
27/08/2010 22:56
27/08/2010 22:56
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Q2 - it's all I've used since April... I had to boot W7 yesterday it I tell you, it was a shock - and not a pleasant one. That might be better than Vista, but it's still one Great Pile of Poo[tm].

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1096806
05/09/2010 22:00
05/09/2010 22:00
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Note to self
Boot order defaults are now changed in /etc/default/grub from here.

Now to find out how to change the OS names.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1096917
06/09/2010 08:48
06/09/2010 08:48
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
In the grub menu? It's free text - I'm on a updated previous version, so it still uses /boot/grub/menu.lst but I'd expect /default/grub to be similar:

Quote:

title Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS, kernel 2.6.32-24-generic
uuid 2f12553f-904f-453a-abfd-12cc19505fa3
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic root=UUID=8daadd97-a695-4b30-847f-e946d91453ff ro quiet splash
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.32-24-generic
quiet

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda2
title Windows 7 64-bit
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

The line that starts 'title' is what gets written on the grub menu.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1097095
06/09/2010 14:01
06/09/2010 14:01
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
It doesn't work like that anymore, I used the method you mention previously in menu.lst but now /etc/default/grub looks like
Code:
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=4
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

For my set up I changed the GRUB DEFAULT line from 0 to 4 in order to force my XP to boot by default. /boot/grub/grub.cfg has all the OS text that was previously in menu.lst but this is automatically generated by a script. I'm thinking now that the only way I can change the name on the boot screen is to change XP's description of itself from within XP.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1108218
28/09/2010 19:20
28/09/2010 19:20
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Temporarily given up on the question above but now I have another.

Whenever my machine boots, Ubuntu puts the login screen on my right hand monitor (which is blank until I've logged in). I therefore have to move the cursor onto the blank screen and click it before I get a login prompt. Is there anyway to force my login to appear on the left hand monitor? I read someone's attempted answer at this question as to force the mouse co-ords to a position that would appear on the left hand monitor upon login but have no idea how to implement this.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1118628
21/10/2010 22:36
21/10/2010 22:36
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Another couple of questions for the experts, OK well you lot!

1. My sound doesn't work on Ubuntu, it works in Windows so everything is plugged in OK and it even works on Express-gate which is Linux based but my Ubuntu is not playing ball. I've been looking at this that I found and am going through what I understand but unfortunately that isn't very much.

aplay-l gives
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

and /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf is

Php Code:
# autoloader aliases
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7

# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }
#
# Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)
install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-mixer-oss ; : ; }
install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-oss ; : ; }
#
install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
# Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-emu10k1-synth ; }
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }

# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)
install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist saa7134-alsa ; : ; }
# Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
options bt87x index=-2
options cx88_alsa index=-2
options saa7134-alsa index=-2
options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
options snd-usb-us122l index=-2
options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
# Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
# Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2 

I appreciate that list isn't in php but highlighting the comment lines in green made it easier to read for me. I can't find my card in this list although it is a VIA VT1818 chip on a ASUS M4A87TD EVO mobo. No proprietary drivers seem available from either ASUS or VIA, any ideas?

2. I've been playing around with grub and have changed the boot splash image and wonder if it is possible to pick a different splash image every boot?

/etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme is
Php Code:
#!/bin/bash -e

source /usr/lib/grub/grub-mkconfig_lib

# this allows desktop-base to override our settings
f=/usr/share/desktop-base/grub_background.sh
if test -e ${f} ; then
  source ${f}
else
  WALLPAPER="/usr/share/images/grub/LegoStarWars.tga"
  COLOR_NORMAL="black/black"
  COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="magenta/black"
fi

set_mono_theme()
{
  cat << EOF
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
EOF
}

# check for usable backgrounds
use_bg=false
if [ "$GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT" = "gfxterm" ] ; then
  for i in /boot/grub/`basename ${WALLPAPER}` ${WALLPAPER} ; do
	if is_path_readable_by_grub $i ; then 
	  bg=$i
	  case ${bg} in
		*.png)		reader=png ;;
		*.tga)		reader=tga ;;
		*.jpg|*.jpeg)	reader=jpeg ;;
	  esac
	  if test -e /boot/grub/${reader}.mod ; then
		echo "Found background image: `basename ${bg}`" >&2
		use_bg=true
		break
	  fi
	fi
  done
fi

# set the background if possible
if ${use_bg} ; then
  prepare_grub_to_access_device `${grub_probe} --target=device ${bg}`
  cat << EOF
insmod ${reader}
if background_image `make_system_path_relative_to_its_root ${bg}` ; then
  set color_normal=${COLOR_NORMAL}
  set color_highlight=${COLOR_HIGHLIGHT}
else
EOF
fi

# otherwise, set a monochromatic theme for Ubuntu
if ${use_bg} ; then
  set_mono_theme | sed -e "s/^/  /g"
  echo "fi"
else
  set_mono_theme
fi 

Currently line 10 (WALLPAPER="/usr/share/images/grub/LegoStarWars.tga") selects my background but I'd like to make that cycle round all the images in that folder. I don't mind if I need to write and populate a static array with the filenames fixed but I'm just a bit lost at how to do that in whatever alien language that is written in.

Last edited by Wishy; 22/10/2010 11:38. Reason: Preef Roading

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1118711
22/10/2010 02:14
22/10/2010 02:14

N
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
N

Blimey! shocked don't want much do you?

It's doable, but I'm tired and had a beer or two, so I'll look at this tomorrow.

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #1118751
22/10/2010 08:31
22/10/2010 08:31
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Not an area I've dabbled with - but I'd be inclined not to mess around with a boot script (which apart from anything else, should be root-owned) but rather a small script to rename the image of the day as the image your boot script displays.

Less chance of killing your login by accident that way, I think...

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1118811
22/10/2010 11:42
22/10/2010 11:42
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Cheers, I wasn't sure how big a job that request was. laugh I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to start having a look at it at 1.30am!

With regard to the boot script, would it be better to write something into grub_background.sh instead or would that pretty much equate to the same thing?

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1118890
22/10/2010 13:55
22/10/2010 13:55

N
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
N

Can you post up the results to the following commands:

lspci -v
sudo lshw
lsmod

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #1119013
22/10/2010 16:49
22/10/2010 16:49
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Okey Dokey

lspci -v provides too much output to post here (forum software shows up a blank post), I'll pop it in a file. If you wouldn't mind pm'ing me an email address I'll send it over.

Sorry Newbie alert. sudo lshw provides more output than I can capture in the terminal so I'll work out how to direct it to file instead and postemail it later.

lsmod
Click to reveal..
Module Size Used by
binfmt_misc 7960 1
ppdev 6375 0
snd_hda_codec_via 33207 0
pl2303 17918 0
usbserial 39131 1 pl2303
psmouse 64576 0
snd_hda_intel 25773 1
serio_raw 4918 0
fbcon 39270 71
tileblit 2487 1 fbcon
font 8053 1 fbcon
bitblit 5811 1 fbcon
softcursor 1565 1 bitblit
snd_hda_codec 85759 2 snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep 6924 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm_oss 41394 0
snd_mixer_oss 16299 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 87946 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy 1782 0
snd_seq_oss 31191 0
snd_seq_midi 5829 0
snd_rawmidi 23420 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 7267 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 57481 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer 23649 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 6888 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
asus_atk0110 10033 0
snd 71251 13 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
edac_core 45423 0
edac_mce_amd 9278 0
nvidia 10832442 46
vga16fb 12757 1
vgastate 9857 1 vga16fb
soundcore 8052 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 8500 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
i2c_piix4 9639 0
xhci 41830 0
lp 9336 0
parport 37160 2 ppdev,lp
usbhid 41084 0
hid 83472 1 usbhid
usb_storage 49961 0
pata_jmicron 2747 0
r8169 39650 0
mii 5237 1 r8169
pata_atiixp 4209 0
ahci 37870 4

Last edited by Wishy; 22/10/2010 16:56.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1119038
22/10/2010 17:38
22/10/2010 17:38

N
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
N

OK use the following commands:

lspci -v > lspci.text
lshw > lshw.text

e-Mail the files lspci.text and lshw.text to me smile

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #1119088
22/10/2010 19:29
22/10/2010 19:29
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Winging their way to you now thanks. laugh

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1119104
22/10/2010 20:06
22/10/2010 20:06

N
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
N

What's the output from:

aplay -l

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #1119212
22/10/2010 23:35
22/10/2010 23:35
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Sorry for the delay, I've been on that *other* operating system tonight as I needed Photoshop.

aplay -l gives
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1119221
23/10/2010 00:11
23/10/2010 00:11

N
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
N

Damn! - I can see nothing anywhere that would indicate a problem.

If you go into System...Preferences...Sound

Under the Devices tab, you should be presented with 3 playback systems: Sound Events; Music & Movies; Audio Conferencing.

Next to the Sound Events there's a dropdown menu and a test button (normally set to autodetect).
Test all of the options and let me know if any work.

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #1119454
23/10/2010 19:09
23/10/2010 19:09
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
I must say that my system > preferences > sound dialog box looks a fair bit different.

click to enlarge

I'm using 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 if that's what the difference is. There isn't a test button but all the mute options are switched off and I have a sound card listed in the hardware section.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1119465
23/10/2010 20:00
23/10/2010 20:00

N
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
N

So it is...

It looks like the bit I'm looking for might be under hardware, or possible output.

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #1119563
24/10/2010 00:32
24/10/2010 00:32
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Have a look under the hardware tab. On mine (64-bit) I have the option for either internal audio or HDMI audio - if I select HDMI that's where it goes, and the speakers on the laptop go quiet.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1120218
24/10/2010 22:30
24/10/2010 22:30
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Cheers for the continued support, I'll have a look tomorrow as I've been on that *other* OS again tonight and it's now time to sit down away from a computer somewhere.

FWIW I'm getting on much better with Gimp nowadays for simple stuff but if loads of layers are involved still come running back to Photoshop (like tonight).

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1120792
25/10/2010 22:05
25/10/2010 22:05
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
My choices in the hardware tab are (all under internal audio)

Off
Analog Stereo Input
Anallog Stereo Output
Analog Stereo Duplex

None of them seem to make any difference (except Off).

Last edited by Wishy; 25/10/2010 22:08.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1120800
25/10/2010 22:10
25/10/2010 22:10

N
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
NuIotaChi
Unregistered
N

Over to Neil I'm afraid, my version of Linux doesn't have the same dialogue boxes frown

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #1120812
25/10/2010 22:24
25/10/2010 22:24
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Ok, on mine, there's one box with 'choose a device to configure' which contains icons for the internal audio and for the RV710/730 HDMI player, and there's a dropdown below them which has the same choices (and a couple more) - selected for internal audio, profile is analog stereo duplex.

On the output audio tab, there's a radio button to select internal audio.

It's not muted is it?

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1120818
25/10/2010 22:34
25/10/2010 22:34
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Sound similar except the only option in my hardware tab is the internal audio. I'm starting to think that this option has nothing to do with my actual sound card. No other hardware option is listed.

For out I just have internal audio analog stereo selected with a radio button as there are no other options. Nothing is muted.

I may try a reinstall if I get time soon as I don't really have any apps installed so set up is pretty pain free.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1156951
15/01/2011 19:31
15/01/2011 19:31
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
FWIW I tried a couple of re-installs, a 64 bit one and a 32 bit one and neither fix my lack of sound.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1218260
23/05/2011 17:15
23/05/2011 17:15
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
I'm now at a stage in my life where I have time to look at the lack of sound further. What I don't have is any idea of what to try next.

FWIW I've put up this thread on the Ubuntu forums in the vain hope that posting to the official home of Ubuntu would garner a greater response than posting Ubuntu questions on an unrelated single model car forum. Looking at the responses so far it seems that I was wrong to have such hope. laugh

I do like this place I does.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1218270
23/05/2011 17:45
23/05/2011 17:45
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
yipee

Turned out to be as simple as this.

I have no idea of what
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic
actually does but it worked.

I now has sound.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1218286
23/05/2011 18:18
23/05/2011 18:18
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Yay! And free of charge, too!

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1218336
23/05/2011 19:20
23/05/2011 19:20
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Only took seven months to fix although to be fair it hasn't been very far up my list of priorities until last week

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1218432
23/05/2011 22:00
23/05/2011 22:00
Lightwater, Surrey
DaveG Offline
Club Treasurer Member 311
DaveG  Offline
Club Treasurer Member 311
Je suis un Coupé

Lightwater, Surrey
Haha, my similar problem took a mere 5 months so I'm much more of an expert than you tongue (yeah, right rolleyes ) Forum power rules! (eventually)

1996 Portofino 20vt & 2000 Pearl White Plus
1985½ & 2016 2017 Fiat 124 Spider + XF Sportbrake
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1218492
23/05/2011 23:22
23/05/2011 23:22
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Yeah but no but I wasn't really trying for six of those months so that makes me betterer than you. laugh

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1409857
08/02/2013 23:21
08/02/2013 23:21
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
18 months since I've scribbled in here so thought I'd update it.

Why the flipping heck won't the Mint 14 install recognise our ASUS netbook (AMD C-60 based) as being 64bit when Mint 13 64 is running happily on it. I have a bootable USB stick install with 64bit and 32 bit versions on it. My desktop installed the 64bit verison from the stick fine but when I use the stick on my netbook it only shows up the 32 bit versions.

Answers on a postcard please. My Google skills are failing me tonight.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1409894
09/02/2013 09:44
09/02/2013 09:44
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Interesting: I used the mint 14.1 to install on this 64-bit acer in both BIOS mode (fails during configuration, though the live install runs) and UEFI mode (works, but you need to know that the thing wakes up with the screen backlight turned right down so it looks as if nothing's happening.)

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1436889
07/07/2013 20:36
07/07/2013 20:36
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Appending this as I have another question for the Linux gurus on here. It's that time of year again where I end up with spare time of an evening and like to fiddle with things.

I want to be able to edit a remote text file using Pluma on my local machine. The remote file is on a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian and it has a fixed IP address. I can SSH into the Pi fine and see it's contents in the file browser but can I hell as like open the relevant files in Pluma with access to change them. I can open them in Pluma via the file browser but not with the correct access level to save changes.

I did this last year successfully (using sftp IIRC) although it may have been using Ubuntu ninstead of Mint. I can use nano running on the Pi to do this but I don't want to.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1436975
08/07/2013 15:21
08/07/2013 15:21

R
rhodri
Unregistered
rhodri
Unregistered
R

I can SSH into the Pi fine and see it's contents in the file browser but can I hell as like open the relevant files in Pluma with access to change them. I can open them in Pluma via the file browser but not with the correct access level to save changes.

Not sure if I am reading this correctly. Where is the file stored on the pi and was it created by a root user? If it's permission related and not owned or allowed to be edited by the user then change it using chown/chmod first (e.g chmod 777 gives full access to the file).

If it's a case of running pluma via ssh then you could do this by enabling X11 forwarding. This allows graphical applications to run on the machine via an ssh connection.

Make sure it's set to on (usually is by default in linux) by checking the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file first, then just use 'ssh -X user@servername'.

You should then be able to open the file via pluma and edit it. Again, make sure you have permission first.

Alternatively, and assuming the permissions for the file in question are OK you could just use filezilla to ssh in and edit.

On the other hand I could be barking up the wrong tree and in this case, just ignore this pointless post!

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #1437068
09/07/2013 08:25
09/07/2013 08:25
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Originally Posted By: rhodri
On the other hand I could be barking up the wrong tree and in this case, just ignore this pointless post!

Not at all, I think you may have a point there regarding the permissions. when I was doing this last year (and it worked for me) it was just c source files that I'd written myself, this time it's network interface config files. I'll have a look later, working from home and constrained to Windows (as well doing the day job) for today.

FWIW the SSH bit works fine and Pluma can open and read files remotely, it's just the saving of them it can't do.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1437095
09/07/2013 12:37
09/07/2013 12:37
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Sorted thanks, a case of not being able to see the wood for the trees.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1437099
09/07/2013 13:45
09/07/2013 13:45
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
--trees
++wood

Sorted!

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1458804
18/11/2013 22:04
18/11/2013 22:04
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo

Last edited by Wishy; 18/11/2013 22:06.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1458806
18/11/2013 22:05
18/11/2013 22:05
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Great, massive post that took an hour to write disappears bug hits me too!

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1458808
18/11/2013 22:19
18/11/2013 22:19
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
More newbie Linux questions. I've set up a Raspberry as a file server using this guide (pretty much word for word with 2 x 1Tb USB drives hooked up to a powered hub). I've also installed miniDLNA so I can stream video and music from it through my TV.

Last edited by Wishy; 18/11/2013 22:20.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1458809
18/11/2013 22:20
18/11/2013 22:20
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
I give up. banghead

Last edited by Wishy; 18/11/2013 22:22.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1458810
18/11/2013 22:59
18/11/2013 22:59
Aldershot
PeteP Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
PeteP  Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
Forum Fossil

Aldershot
Great, massive post that took an hour to write disappears bug hits me too!

Copy and save somewhere else before hitting submit.

16VT and X1/9 1500

We must all do our part for the planet.
I unplugged a row of electric cars that nobody was using.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: PeteP] #1458848
19/11/2013 10:32
19/11/2013 10:32
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
I used to do that ages ago when the forum software was a bit flaky but got out of the habit. Fortunately the back button got me back to my text so I have a copy. I just can't face splitting it into 10 chunks so I can post it yet, maybe later on.

Last edited by Wishy; 19/11/2013 22:06.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1459056
19/11/2013 22:10
19/11/2013 22:10
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
More newbie Linux questions. I've set up a Raspberry as a file server using this guide (pretty much word for word with 2 x 1Tb USB drives hooked up to a powered hub). I've also installed miniDLNA so I can stream video and music from it through my TV. So far so good and it does what it's supposed to but I'm seeing some weird issues that are affecting reliability. I appreciate that a £30 server running USB drives isn't going rival a proper RAID set up so as such there isn't anything on it that's mission critical but still...

The issues are

The two drives are mounted to sda1 and sdb1 and every night a crontab runs a rsync between the two drives. On an almost daily basis one or both the drives decide to unmount themselves. Sometimes the drive won't show up or sometimes it will become mounted to sdc1 instead.
How can I tell when and why this is happening?

Sometimes the contents of folders completely disappears, I *think* this may be happening if the primary drive is unmounted meaning the rsync sees an empty source drive and subsequently empties the destination drive although this is just conjecture at the moment.
How can tell for sure?

Sometimes I'll see the folder and file structure of the mounted drive even when it isn't mounted. Browsing the USBHDD1/2 folder where the drive is mounted shpws all the files despite sudo fdisk -l not showing the drive as mounted.
How can this be?

Sometimes the files will look as if they aren't there only for them to turn up later.

Finally, sometimes files decide to become read only which doesn't really matter for music and film but does for Word and Power-point files. All computers connect to the file using Samba and the backups user on the pi as shown in the guide. Remote computers are running Mint or Windows 7.

Force reloading it doesn't seem to have any effect other than forcing the TV to take an hour for it to be able to see all the files again. The index shows up files that have long been removed and some aren't shown as being in the folders where they are located although they still play.
How do I rebuild the index the of the miniDLNA server?

I think I can make rsync write a log of what it does which may shed some light on it but but how do I find when and why the drives aren't mounted where I left them? Any other ideas from the Linux gurus on here are more than welcome.

I have about 300Gb of music and video so recopying files over from main machine is getting rather tiresome.

Last edited by Wishy; 19/11/2013 22:16.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1459081
20/11/2013 06:38
20/11/2013 06:38
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
This sounds similar to the fault where a non-linux disc in a linux system will sometimes drop out and become invisible, even though it claims to be mounted.

You might try a umount and then a mount -all every now and again?

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1459099
20/11/2013 10:20
20/11/2013 10:20
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
That's not a bad idea. I could add that into the crontab thingydodah after the rsync runs. I was thinking about putting a shutdown -r in there but this is less drastic.

Of course since putting this post the bloody thing seems to be behaving but then I haven't chucked any new files at it for a couple of days. I *think* my problems occur whenever I chuck a reasonable amount (say 10 Gb) of new data at it which the rysnc then will then copy over to the spare drive overnight.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1459100
20/11/2013 10:28
20/11/2013 10:28

R
rhodri
Unregistered
rhodri
Unregistered
R

The two drives are mounted to sda1 and sdb1 and every night a crontab runs a rsync between the two drives. On an almost daily basis one or both the drives decide to unmount themselves. Sometimes the drive won't show up or sometimes it will become mounted to sdc1 instead.
How can I tell when and why this is happening?

Try the log file - think it's /var/log/dmesg or another file in /var/log..

Quote:

Sometimes the contents of folders completely disappears, I *think* this may be happening if the primary drive is unmounted meaning the rsync sees an empty source drive and subsequently empties the destination drive although this is just conjecture at the moment.
How can tell for sure?

Don't know how to tell but you could maybe write a very basic bash script which could incorporate the cronjob and mounting but also checks to see if the destination folders exist? Simple if statement which could log the outcome of errors

Quote:

Sometimes I'll see the folder and file structure of the mounted drive even when it isn't mounted. Browsing the USBHDD1/2 folder where the drive is mounted shpws all the files despite sudo fdisk -l not showing the drive as mounted.
How can this be?

Sometimes the files will look as if they aren't there only for them to turn up later.

not sure but I'd recommend using the command df -h to see mounted volumes. I use fdisk -l to see available partitions to mount

Quote:

Finally, sometimes files decide to become read only which doesn't really matter for music and film but does for Word and Power-point files. All computers connect to the file using Samba and the backups user on the pi as shown in the guide. Remote computers are running Mint or Windows 7.

Try chmod/chown commands to set permissions on the files?

Again, could add this to the bash script..

Last edited by rhodri; 20/11/2013 10:32.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: ] #1459101
20/11/2013 10:33
20/11/2013 10:33
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Thanks, I'll have a look at that later on.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1462071
07/12/2013 18:30
07/12/2013 18:30
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Well this is from my new and sparkly Mint 16 on an SSD now it's lightning quick. I only got the drive on Thursday and I have dual boot Win7/Mint 16 and a VM running Win8.1. Bloody expert I is now!

Cheers for the help above with reagrds the raspberry pi, I've delved a little further. It looks like my slave hard drive is crashing completely at some point as it isn't even there to mount. I generally have to unplug and replug it for it to appear so I can mount it again. If I don't chuck large amounts of files at it then it's fine but I'm still trying to get my music onto the flipping thing. The DLNA streaming works fine once the files are there and mirrored.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1462548
09/12/2013 21:44
09/12/2013 21:44
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
How come if the second drive (sdb1) has disappeared, and doesn't show in fdisk, that it the volume shows as mounted under df-h?

If I then unplug and replug the drive it becomes sdc1 and a subsequent reboot then puts it back as sdb1 where it should be.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1500050
24/07/2014 22:09
24/07/2014 22:09
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Back here again. In short the upshot of my hard-drive woes above were my hard drive itself. Thanks to a 2 year warranty it's all sorted.

Now next connundrum......
I want to make my Mint boot use a static IP address (for boring reasons involving running another Minecraft server for testing). I tried to do this (as I have successfuly before on different machines) by simply changing the /etc/network/interfaces file appropriately but something went awry (feel free to interpret this as me changing something I didn't understand but hey ho, it's most likely what happened) leaving me with...

1. No internet connection on boot. Manually doing it using sudo ifup eth0 works fine to give me a DHCP assigned IP address though.

2. If I use the static settings in the interfaces file then it appears to work (from ifconfig locally) and I can see the static IP address from my router but I don't get any internet connection. Possibly just some daft error in my file below but I'm sure I've tried every combination known to man...

3. The network applet thingy in the notifcation area has gone. I've tried various suggested routes on t'interweb involving installing and uninstalling network-manager and network-manager-gnome to no avail. This is less important because as long as I can change it with the interfaces file then I don't need the applet as once set to a static address I'm unlikely to need to change it.

Two main questions
1. How do I get my network (eth0 to be precise) to connect on log in again?

2. Once I've fixed the above then how to get the static connection connecting? The static version of the interfaces file is
Code:
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
# auto lo
# iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.51
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

I've set the DHCP pool of addresses to be assigned to 101 and above so there isn't a clash there.

As usual any suggestions are more than welcome as this should be a piece of cake to fix (especially after the karfuffle I've recently had getting Mint to read a data drive made up of windows dynamic discs but that's another story) but isn't proving so......

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1500067
25/07/2014 07:41
25/07/2014 07:41
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
When you boot up, before you connect manually, what does

Code:
sudo ifconfig

tell you ?

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1500069
25/07/2014 09:28
25/07/2014 09:28
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
At logon
Code:
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:188 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:188 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:14752 (14.7 KB)  TX bytes:14752 (14.7 KB)

After sudo ifup eth0
Code:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 48:5b:39:c9:66:85  
          inet addr:192.168.0.101  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::4a5b:39ff:fec9:6685/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:1108 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:955 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:1109332 (1.1 MB)  TX bytes:217551 (217.5 KB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:188 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:188 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:14752 (14.7 KB)  TX bytes:14752 (14.7 KB)

The 101 is my correctly assigned DHCP address and all works

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1500074
25/07/2014 09:57
25/07/2014 09:57
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Do you have
Code:
ifup eth0

in rc.local?

(or possibly
Code:
network_manager restart

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1500141
25/07/2014 20:12
25/07/2014 20:12
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Neither of those, nothing but "exit 0".

network_manager restart and network_manager restart both return command not found if I try them manually.

I guess I can try adding the ifup to rc.local for now to get round problem number 1 but I shouldn't have to.

Will do that later as WishySenior has Windows issues that I need to go and attend to.

Last edited by Wishy; 25/07/2014 20:12.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1500151
25/07/2014 22:11
25/07/2014 22:11
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Adding the ifup line into rc.local makes it connect automatically. Any attempt to go to static still fails though.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1500152
25/07/2014 22:24
25/07/2014 22:24
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
/me scratches head. It's been too long since I've had to play at that level - usually Mint just works.

Can you add an IP address? I don't recall if this works:

Code:
ifup eth0 192.168.0.1

Currently doing a mooc - the hardware software interface - and it's a doozy... gone from 'this is an and' to stack attacks in three weeks; my head is full.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: barnacle] #1500153
25/07/2014 22:34
25/07/2014 22:34
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
It doesn't like the static address and gives me a working DHCP one.

Code:
sudo ifup eth0 192.168.0.97
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.4
Copyright 2004-2012 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/48:5b:39:c9:66:85
Sending on   LPF/eth0/48:5b:39:c9:66:85
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3 (xid=0x64744723)
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6 (xid=0x64744723)
DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.102 on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 (xid=0x64744723)
DHCPOFFER of 192.168.0.102 from 192.168.0.1
DHCPACK of 192.168.0.102 from 192.168.0.1
bound to 192.168.0.102 -- renewal in 36390 seconds.
Ignoring unknown interface 192.168.0.97=192.168.0.97.

I tried a couple of IP addresses just in case for some wierd reason it didn't like 51 being used.

Last edited by Wishy; 25/07/2014 22:35.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1500209
26/07/2014 10:33
26/07/2014 10:33
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
A little play this morning shows that Windows 7 is exactly the same so it's more likely to be network/router related.

I'll swap some cables round and put up a separate thread for this later. The RaspberryPi with a perfectly working static IP address is plugged directly into the router whereas this machine goes via a switch and a homeplug adaptor.

On a different note, I've realised that this thread is so old that I had a coop when I started it.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1500427
27/07/2014 22:39
27/07/2014 22:39
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
A little play this morning shows that Windows 7 is exactly the same so it's more likely to be network/router related.

^^ This, solution here.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1503902
20/08/2014 14:44
20/08/2014 14:44
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Note to self
I've had an issue with our older laptop for a while (since Mint 14 IIRC) in that wifi wouldn't work on Mint. Not a big deal as it works fine on Windows and the machine mostly just sits under the sofa for surfing whilst watching TV duties. However, our new laptop seems to have exactly the same issue so I've dug around again and found the actual solution here. All well and good but trying to install Mint on the new laptop has had me run to into secure boot issues.

Next question
My laptop ( Asus P550C) won't let me install Mint (17) and I think it's due to UEFI issues. I'd rather not lose Windows (7) on this machine so I'm trying not to rush into doing this.

I have Mint on a (Yumi) bootable USB stick and when I boot from it I get two options, a UEFI version and a normal version. If I boot from the UEFI version then the bootloader on the stick gets ignored and the machine goes straight into Windows.
If I choose the normal version then I can boot into the live distro and install Mint. all well and good until I reboot and at this point it just goes straight into Windows and never boots Mint.

Any ideas? I've noticed as I put the link for my laptop details that there's a FAQ there which might have some answers so I'll look at those later.
I resized my data partition using the Mint installer and have read somewhere that this should be done in first in Windows, does this make a difference?
I set the boot point for the Mint install to be /dev/sda, does this need to be more specific? Eg /dev/sda2 where the Windows bootloader is or /dev/sda4 where Mint's /boot partition is?

Last edited by Wishy; 20/08/2014 16:39. Reason: Preef-roading

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1503920
20/08/2014 16:51
20/08/2014 16:51
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
Sounds like the bootloader hasn't been updated correctly. You could try something like EasyBCD to edit the boot loader manually.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/EasyBCD.shtml

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1503954
20/08/2014 20:12
20/08/2014 20:12

B
Barney
Unregistered
Barney
Unregistered
B

My laptop has two HDs installed. No idea why but Windows 7 and Linux disagree which one is primary. Seem to recall this caused me similar issues when installing Mint. Sorry I've no idea if this info helps.

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1503973
20/08/2014 21:46
20/08/2014 21:46
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
No matter, I appreciate the moral support! laugh It isn't that though as they are both on the same physcial drive and my other two very similar setups here are both fine.

I'm a bit nervous about fiddling with boot-loaders TBH. Wouldn't I know about it if the bootloader had an issue, in other words lack being able to boot at all?
It's behaving as if the Windows bootloader is fine (and is the only one present).

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1503983
20/08/2014 23:51
20/08/2014 23:51
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
Yes thats the point. The mint install need to update (or replace) the bootloader which it seems it hasnt done otherwise you would have an option at boot.

The tool I linked to is pretty simple to use.

Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Hyperlink] #1504078
21/08/2014 16:02
21/08/2014 16:02
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Plucked up the courage to try BCD but no joy unfortunately, after adding an entry for Mint I get a "selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt".

I've re-installed Mint with a couple of changes to no avail. I'd read somewhere that you needed to let Windows shrink the partitions for it to work so I tried that.

I also used the specific /dev/sda4 bootpoint instead but that also didn't make any difference. Reading up, it appears to be the difference between letting Windows handle the dual-boot and letting Mint do it. My preference would be the latter but given that it currently doesn't boot Mint at all, I'd settle happily for the former. In any case, neither method allowed BCD to boot Mint.

I'm going to try this method next, the main difference being that the /boot partition is done in ext2 and the partitions are made before the installer starts. The guide appears to show /boot being made as /ext3 then changed to /ext2 on install but I'm not sure if this is intentional.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1504086
21/08/2014 17:54
21/08/2014 17:54
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
After digging through the FAQs on my laptop I can confirm that it doesn't have secure boot so that isn't the issue.

Edited to add notes to self
bcdedit /enum from the command line run as administrator tells me my Windows install is in EFI (not bios) mode.

This tells me that if Windows is in EFI mode then so must Mint. Likewise for BIOS/Legacy mode.

Last edited by Wishy; 21/08/2014 21:51.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1504319
23/08/2014 00:14
23/08/2014 00:14
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Turned out to be as easy as this .

Once I'd created a UEFI bootable USB stick (or in English, simply copied the files from the ISO directly) then all was fine. It looks like the issue was how YUMI sets up the USB stick which is a shame as I like that I can use a single stick with several install distros on it and also various utilities to cover all my computers and emergency maintenance for friends.

In hindsight after seeing how exposed the BIOS settings are now I'd prefer to let Windows handle the booting but it does what I need now so I'm loathed to fiddle further. Thanks as always for all the suggestions especially the EasyBCD one as I will use that in the future.

Last edited by Wishy; 23/08/2014 00:15.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1522318
19/01/2015 23:27
19/01/2015 23:27
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
Note to self
My Canon MG6350 needs libtiff4 installing which is no longer part of Mint/Ubuntu by default. This needs doing before installing Canon's drivers which are here.

If I get really brave then I may attempt to fix the link in the driver and recompile the source myself, or maybe not. I have however got so efficient at installing new versions that I upgraded my main machine to 17.1 the other night in parallel with drying the pots. The equivalent task in Windows requires an evening being set aside and making sure that I don't need the machine the next day for work just in case.

Last edited by Wishy; 19/01/2015 23:29.

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1522330
20/01/2015 07:32
20/01/2015 07:32
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
I have a handy list of things that I need to add after a fresh installation, mostly so that I can keep things working without scratching my head wondering why something that worked last week doesn't work any more...

Code:
Network printer - Brother HL2150 @ 10.0.0.202
Download drivers from http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadend.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=hl2150n_all&os=128&dlid=dlf006893_000&flang=4&type3=625
(should be in downloads already) and follow instructions; set IP address (option 11).

Calibre (then update from calibre site)
Tex
Lyx
Librecad
Stellarium
Virtualbox - from the site; the internal one doesn't work with 17.1:
 wget http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
 sudo apt-get update
 sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.3
 sudo addgroup barnacle vboxusers <and then logout and back in>

Geany
Kate
Konsole
kdelibs-bin 
kdelibs5-data 
kdelibs5-plugins
Glade
Devhelp
pywebkitdev
libgtk2.0-dev
libgtk-3-dev
xsane
mahjong
sudoku

install abbyy from its directory, serial number ****************, ask abbyy to reenable the installation...

Because I keep /home on a separate partition (actually, a separate disc on this machine) I don't need to reinstall the windows virtual machine; once vmware is installed, the VM is just there.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1545686
29/07/2015 00:05
29/07/2015 00:05
Sunny Darlo
Wishy Offline OP
Forum is my life
Wishy  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Sunny Darlo
My handy list of things is this thread!

Note to self

Libtiff4 now from here as previous link now out of date.
Canon drivers now here.

Last edited by Wishy; 30/07/2015 23:29. Reason: Now with better speeling

Up yours Photobucket.
Re: Dual boot/Linux install help required [Re: Wishy] #1545689
29/07/2015 00:19
29/07/2015 00:19
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Note to Debian-based users: don't install the latest flash update; it's broken...

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5