» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 256 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,633
Posts1,341,396
Members1,814
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,304
PeteP 21,522
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,842
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Fast brake disc swap [Re: R1DAN] #980906
08/02/2010 19:27
08/02/2010 19:27
London
MrCooper Offline
I need some sleep
MrCooper  Offline
I need some sleep

London
I've heard that before.

My experience is that when they sell you product you believe to be defective they suggest you buy another one and they'll have a look at the one you've got! Genius.

With respect to Nigel's view I would not buy a penny chew from them now. I suspect they treat Nigel rather differently as he generates an income stream for them.

Thought it was just me for a while, but now I see I'm not alone.

Ex Grigio Moon 20VT Plus
Ex 350Z
Now Aston Martin Vantage

Re: Fast brake disc swap [Re: MrCooper] #980953
08/02/2010 20:44
08/02/2010 20:44
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline OP
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
yes, they treat me *slightly* differently - I get even better prices than the forum GB laugh

However, they should be treating everyone the same - I'm just as likely to pull the plug on a GB if several members are being poorly treated as I am if its me on the receiving end.

To be fair, discs can suffer from uneven pad material deposits, which feels very much like a warp.

When I killed the first set of Brembo discs, I sent them straight back and fitted a replacement pair. However, now I've knackered the second set, I'll be having my own tests done to see if they are actually warped (which is what they feel like)

However, even if it IS a bedding-in problem, I'd still say the discs are defective, as I made double-sure that I bedded them in as per the instructions

keep me posted on how you get on with getting a replacement set

[Linked Image]
Re: Fast brake disc swap [Re: Nigel] #982718
11/02/2010 22:25
11/02/2010 22:25
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline OP
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
Ah well - just froze my fingers doing yet another disc change - that's the third since 19 January

To be fair, the last set were an experiment - Motormech had tried to have some (very) warped DBA discs re-ground, but they were still very juddery, so I've fitted some new DBAs this evening

Still working on the two-piece idea though...

[Linked Image]
Re: Fast brake disc swap [Re: Nigel] #984159
14/02/2010 19:29
14/02/2010 19:29

S
sediciRich
Unregistered
sediciRich
Unregistered
S

Nige - stop using the brakes, open the door use your foot to slow it down.

I had 2 sets of Brembo discs for the fiat, both got reground after every race and qualifying - moving the car a few feet fwd every few minute in the padock reduced some of the warp. 15 minutes is my change time - I have Begbie to varify that too - the scissor jack however does not appreciate being used with the impact gun!!

Re: Fast brake disc swap [Re: ] #984181
14/02/2010 19:59
14/02/2010 19:59
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline OP
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
LOL - I used the impact gun on the scissor jack too - much faster getting the car in the air

[Linked Image]
Re: Fast brake disc swap [Re: Nigel] #990362
25/02/2010 18:07
25/02/2010 18:07

C
Cbp
Unregistered
Cbp
Unregistered
C

Hello all

I have just been made aware of this thread by one of the posters. Firstly I would like to say there is no operational or manufacturing problem with Brembo sport discs! We are aware of three instances of dissatisfaction with these parts. The first one we found to be without fault – but we still replaced the parts, the second one we did replace out of goodwill and didn’t follow up with the factory and now a third instance that is in need of investigation.

I would like to take this opportunity to explain our position in regard to this. When we have a warranty problem with any of our products we have a procedure to follow. This involves returning the products back to the manufacturer for them to investigate and if necessary replace / refund and at the very least we will furnish the client with detailed comment on the parts inspected. Any actions we might make outside of this policy are “goodwill” actions.

We pride ourselves on providing a high level of customer service and the vast majority of our customers will agree with this statement. Obviously there are a few of you who have problems with what are interpreted as "warped discs" and I would like you to take a few moments to read the information on this link from an unbiased third party - http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

Any warranty claims will be dealt with on an individual basis but the procedure must be followed, as we cannot universally refund/replace discs unless we are sure it is a manufacturing defect causing the problem. If we do replace/refund and it turns out there is no problem with the discs then we are left with a set of used discs which are perfectly fine but we are unable to sell and it is direct cost to us for no fault!

We will endeavor to resolve any issues arising from use of our products but please bear in mind we are parts suppliers and we have not fitted the discs ourselves. And, we have found in previous cases such as this that the problem has stemmed from deposits on the disc facings, rust or some kind of deposit on the hub or run out in the hub itself. I do not mean to down play your mechanical skills but one of the issues I describe above was with a major UK tuning centre!

If this post raised any further questions I would ask you e-mail or PM me as we can give a far more candid response to direct questions and comments – no need for any generalizations. I’d also add that the thread pretty much points out that many manufacturers of discs see less than satisfactory results when their products are used on this vehicle. That suggests that the vehicle set up and not the disc may be questionable.

Steve

Re: Fast brake disc swap [Re: ] #990456
25/02/2010 20:08
25/02/2010 20:08
Leeds
M
MattM Offline
I need some sleep
MattM  Offline
I need some sleep
M

Leeds
Fancy flogging some of those disks which have been returned to you with nothing wrong with them? I have £20 burning a hole in my pocket

Re: Fast brake disc swap [Re: MattM] #990473
25/02/2010 20:38
25/02/2010 20:38

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: MattM
Fancy flogging some of those disks which have been returned to you with nothing wrong with them? I have £20 burning a hole in my pocket

rofl

Re: Fast brake disc swap [Re: ] #990514
25/02/2010 21:22
25/02/2010 21:22
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline OP
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
Paul is right - "warped" discs are very rarely actually warped (as I've said many times) - its almost always an issue with incorrect bedding-in or mis-use (such as coming to a stop with the brakes on, while they are hot)

Remember, we're not dealing with common, everyday brakes here - we're running racing compound pads but expecting them to behave like your Auntie's Micra

However, it would appear that the Coupe is not kind to discs, and the DBA 4000 are one of the very few discs to be able to stand up to the unusual demands the Coupe seems make.

Its a difficult situation - if discs have developed the "warp" syndrome due to uneven distribution of pad material, then CBP are right in saying that the disc is not defective. However, in our defence, if the owner has done everything by the book and its more of a comaptibility issue between the pad compound and the disc material, then its not really the owner's fault either

CBP have been very good to the Coupe forum over the years, with some very good deals and superb levels of service. I really want this to continue, both from my own perspective as an avid consumer of brakes and for the general benefit of the forum. I'll be working with them to find a satisfactory solution to these issues - watch this space

[Linked Image]
Re: Fast brake disc swap [Re: Nigel] #990647
26/02/2010 01:40
26/02/2010 01:40

M
maria
Unregistered
maria
Unregistered
M

For what it's worth I bought some Brembo sport discs and pagid grey pads and have had no issues at all.

Maria

Re: Fast brake disc swap [Re: ] #990691
26/02/2010 09:50
26/02/2010 09:50

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: maria
For what it's worth I bought some Brembo sport discs and pagid grey pads and have had no issues at all.

Maria

and i bought brembo sports discs all round with pagid yellows (front) and tarox (rear), no issues apart from stopping so well passengers bang their head on the dashboard.... laugh

Re: Fast brake disc swap [Re: ] #990957
26/02/2010 17:42
26/02/2010 17:42

S
spit
Unregistered
spit
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: proccy
Originally Posted By: maria

Maria

and i bought brembo sports discs all round with pagid yellows (front) and tarox (rear), no issues apart from stopping so well passengers bang their head on the dashboard.... laugh

Is there any problem with fitting yellows all around ?
Paul

Re: Fast brake disc swap [Re: ] #990961
26/02/2010 17:44
26/02/2010 17:44

C
Cbp
Unregistered
Cbp
Unregistered
C

Unfortunately the RS29's are not available for the rear!

Steve

Page 2 of 2 1 2