Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Edinburgh), 1,160 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bilstein Bump Stop [Re: CSP] #1035575
13/05/2010 13:41
13/05/2010 13:41

Q
qiqikgpa
Unregistered
qiqikgpa
Unregistered
Q



Originally Posted by CSP
Originally Posted by Jimbo
The bump stop on the rear lives inside the rear spring mounted at the top. They usually fall out (mot fail) or get removed (mot pass) and I've never heard of the rear end hitting the bump stop or metal to metal with it removed.


Besides some wheels came of of some cars in the past completely It is not there for fun, the suspension arm hits the subframe, the arm is casted iron and will have one or more cracks after hitting seriously.



A mechanic advised me exactly like what CSP said, there will be some crack (somewhere where metal hits metal) if you hit a big hole.

Anyway, all the rattling noise at the rear of my coupe disappeared after i installed a fresh pair of rear bumpstops

I am very happy with the cushy ride over uneven surface now
Cheers

Re: Bilstein Bump Stop [Re: ] #1048082
05/06/2010 13:37
05/06/2010 13:37

P
Per
Unregistered
Per
Unregistered
P



I have now cut all four bumpstops to half height, as the rears also were very close. I have Eibach's (-30mm or so they say, it seems like 40 to me). Bilstein B6 shocks.

Result: much smoother ride and a little lower front end. cool

This MUST be included in the guides, or people will miss this.. frown

Re: Bilstein Bump Stop [Re: ] #1048094
05/06/2010 14:25
05/06/2010 14:25
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,650
Malaysia..Glasgow at heart
Kelv27 Offline
Club member 7239, Regional Rep., Malaysia
Kelv27  Offline
Club member 7239, Regional Rep., Malaysia
Forum is my job

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,650
Malaysia..Glasgow at heart
Yes shortening the bumpstop is essential with any lowered suspension setup. Riding on bumpstops is actually quite comfy laugh but will result it quite a choppy ride as you're not utilizing the dampers properly.

Will look into the guides Per and amend accordingly. Thanks.


Re: Bilstein Bump Stop [Re: Kelv27] #1048434
06/06/2010 11:28
06/06/2010 11:28

S
stevo
Unregistered
stevo
Unregistered
S



This thread has been awesome to read as I have been really disappointed with the ride of my car after fitting billies and eibachs especially over high speed bumps but from reading this it must be because the front is on the bump stops all the time thus providing no damping. I can't wait to go and cut my bump stops down now :-). Thanks guys.

Re: Bilstein Bump Stop [Re: ] #1048726
06/06/2010 23:03
06/06/2010 23:03

M
MADCooP
Unregistered
MADCooP
Unregistered
M



I am in the middle of lowering my car, so also very interested in this thread.
The rear stops had come loose, so are now off the car completely.

My question is how much to take off the front stops to avoid the choppy ride Kelv mentions?

Re: Bilstein Bump Stop [Re: ] #1048732
06/06/2010 23:19
06/06/2010 23:19
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,650
Malaysia..Glasgow at heart
Kelv27 Offline
Club member 7239, Regional Rep., Malaysia
Kelv27  Offline
Club member 7239, Regional Rep., Malaysia
Forum is my job

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,650
Malaysia..Glasgow at heart
Difficult one to say Iain. It really depends on the condition of your springs (hence how much it would sag) and also the type of bumpstops you would be using. I would chop a portion at a time and see how it sits from there. I chopped a fair bit off mine and although this would still offer some protection to the struts, the reduction in material would result in a harsher bump when the strut tries to bottom out.

Re: Bilstein Bump Stop [Re: Kelv27] #1048739
06/06/2010 23:33
06/06/2010 23:33

M
MADCooP
Unregistered
MADCooP
Unregistered
M



Cheers Kelv. wink My thinking is to take the 35mm that the springs will drop the car by off. Surely that would even things out. However you've got me thinking now, as what you say about the reduction and harshness I hadn't even considered.

Perhaps I'll do as you say and cut less first, then cut again if required. Bear in mind I won't have the option of a road test on these yet, as the car will remain SORN until I've finished all the work. frown

Re: Bilstein Bump Stop [Re: ] #1048897
07/06/2010 11:38
07/06/2010 11:38

P
Per
Unregistered
Per
Unregistered
P



I cut the first bulb off;

[ ]
( )
( ) <- this one! smile

Did the trick on mine, I have the 30mm Eibach springs.

Re: Bilstein Bump Stop [Re: ] #1049129
07/06/2010 18:48
07/06/2010 18:48

M
MADCooP
Unregistered
MADCooP
Unregistered
M



Cheers Per,

Just removed the struts today, and having inspected the bump stops came to the conclusion that removal of 35mm may be a bit harsh. This would leave precious little material.
If I remove the first bulb from the front bump stop though, this will remove the part of the stop that holds the attached dust sleeve in place.
I have tried the sleeve on the second bulb, and it appears to hold, but as this is not shaped to fit the sleeve correctly I am unsure if it will become loose or not over time.
Have you had any problems with yours?

Re: Bilstein Bump Stop [Re: ] #1049161
07/06/2010 19:38
07/06/2010 19:38

P
Per
Unregistered
Per
Unregistered
P



Yeah exactly, I just pulled the sleeve over the next bulb!
They seem identical to me and it does still hold the dust-sleeve. smile

Re: Bilstein Bump Stop [Re: ] #1049326
07/06/2010 23:18
07/06/2010 23:18

M
MADCooP
Unregistered
MADCooP
Unregistered
M



Excellent! Thanks for the confirmation. I'll cut these down in the morning, and should have them on the car by tomorrow night.
Many thanks. wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.014s Queries: 14 (0.009s) Memory: 0.6353 MB (Peak: 0.7527 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 21:37:16 UTC