» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (F1GHT3R, Jamiepm, Jamjam12, 1 invisible), 173 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,430
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,520
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,294
PeteP 21,480
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,660
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My Chevy Custom van project #1087250
16/08/2010 17:32
16/08/2010 17:32

S
shaggy
Unregistered
shaggy
Unregistered
S

Well I've just come to a milestone in creating my perfect van. I have a 79 Chevy G30 that was converted from new to a campervan by Cobra industries. I love the comfort and facilities the camper offers plus it saves me thousands of euros in insurance and tax as their is special rates for RVs/Campervans here in Ireland.
I don't like the boring looks/ugly top/ and poor performance, and if I was in the states or canada I'd have a tin top with only portholes in the sides. But you gotta rod what you got, and I do love Helga (my vans name) so my project is to make this the ultimate fusion between a campervan and a custom van. I've been adding a few bits and pieces over the years but at easter I bought a rebuilt camaro 350 smallblock and stripped and rebuilt the front end.
It was a bit of a nightmare as I had to rebuild the so called rebuilt engine.
See more here:- Rebuilt engine rebuild
It now has new fenders, new motor , new seat upholstery, new custom windowed engine cover and I stripped everything under the hood back to bare metal and painted with rust bullet.
Still to do.
To make the hi-top look better I fitted wooden slats on the roofrack to give it better lines, they will need to come off and get re-varnished. I'm also going mould in a visor to smooth out the look of the overcab section (the gap will be filled and rounded out into the visor).
I'm going install chrome tubular running boards, these have no steps just a chrome tube running from tyre to tyre.At the rear of these running boards and under them will be half length side pipes coming from the middle of the van to the rear tyres. A full mud flare kit + chinspoiler will also be moulded in. I'll be cutting holes in these and the tubular running boards will pierce them at their ends. This is because the running boards are just short of touching the tyres on either end, I'll probably mould/radius them into the mud flares. At the rear quarter panel I'm installing teardrop portholes. The paint job will be as below a stripe that turns into a flame and inside the flame will be the teardrop porthole. I also have a few mods in mind for the interior including converting the overcab bed into a drop down one like in A class motorhomes.
Here's some photos click on the small ones to embiggen them.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Re: My Chevy Custom van project [Re: ] #1089621
21/08/2010 21:26
21/08/2010 21:26

S
shaggy
Unregistered
shaggy
Unregistered
S

Update.
I got one side of the tubular running boards and sidepipes combo on today. I welded up some heavy duty brackets that go to the chassis rails at the front and the spring hanger bracket at the rear.
It looks like it's touching the rear tyre in these photos but don't worry it's not.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Last edited by shaggy; 21/08/2010 21:27.
Re: My Chevy Custom van project [Re: ] #1091791
25/08/2010 20:05
25/08/2010 20:05

S
shaggy
Unregistered
shaggy
Unregistered
S

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
I got the second sidepipe and tubular running board on and hooked up this evening. A few more exhaust clamps to put on and then I'll be tuning her up and getting her run in. I have a MSD 6AL ignition module waiting to go on so that'll probably be next.
Anyway I know how much you guys love photos so without further ado....

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Last edited by shaggy; 25/08/2010 20:07.