well, the coupe had a bit of an issue over the weekend at a local track day, that being it the caught fire, lucky being a track day there were marshalls on hand with fire kits and there is an extingisher in the car as well.
Was keen to test it as we had just made the below changes
Fitting the rear 300mm rotors off the Pug 607 to Vas's design (have 330mm fronts)
Fitting the 20vt undertray to clean up the under car airflow (had to modify)
Making a lower strut brace to stop the front sub frame flexing under acceleration and braking
Have a full alloy race raditior made to make sure I had no water leak issues (ongoing problems)
Change over to studs and fit race rubber (went for dunlop 03G in 215/45 x 17)
Just to start by saying this car has been together and run in this trim for a year on the road beyond the changes above, and there are no leaks (ie not an oil fire) it just got so hot the under bonnet caught fire, dyno tested and everything is spot on there - It just seem to have ignited the bonnet lining but I am sure the paint wouldn't have handled it anyway. The lining was in good condition and not sagging or the like, this was after about 6 laps (1.30m each) flat out. it was at about 1.3-1.4bar
Thankfully it is not as bad as it looks, the bonnet is pretty stuffed and the engine loom is melted in a few places but generally it is O.K. - brake and power steer caps melted and the the strut brace has lost some of it's paint.
Really this thread is about what to do once it fixed to lower the risk of a repeat.
Few things spring to mind
the .48a/r hotside is holding more temp in the tubular exhaust manifold perhaps, considering a swap to a .63 but I doubt this would have a huge effect on temps? The manifold is a copy of the standard 16vt tubular manifold, only differnce is it is in steam pipe not exhaust pipe, so not too much to change there I would think.
Maybe venting the bonnet a bit to get the heat out - had thought about a grale type grill above turbo in the bonnet I have but it is so far forward I can't how it would look any good - any example anyone has?.
Sometype of sheild attached to manfiold in Stainless
Bit more lining of the underside of the bonnet with heat proof material sandwiched between stainless skins on the inside. (anyone done this and got pics?)
Wrapped the manifold - but this looks bad on what is a road car in the main
Ceramic coating - though I am not sure how much this would do for keeping localised temps down over a long run?
Anyway, has anyone got any pics of a decnt vented bonnet? Also what is the feeling as to the difference a .63 housing would make to manifold temps? I suspect it may be a combination of all of the above, but any other thoughts