|
2 registered members (Misterchoos, Edinburgh),
913
guests, and 5
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,140
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
Viscous Drive - Rebuilding
#1185172
14/03/2011 11:48
14/03/2011 11:48
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312 Sandhurst
Begbie
OP
ex El Presidente
|
OP
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
|
I mentioned this to JBT at Donington yesterday, but I do think a few people should maybe consider getting there viscous drives overhauled. After browsing on the integrale forum, there has been a thread recently where a couple of people have sent there viscous drives to a specialist to get them overhauled. Below is a couple of photo's of the state of the plates that come out of the viscous drives : As you can see in the first 2 photo's, lots of scorching on the plates, with also comments being made that the fluid coming out was like tar (when it shouldn't be). Whilst the viscous drives have been taken apart, new plates put in, the torque level it will start working at can be uprated too, handy for the bigger powered cars. The price, well I have seen prices quoted from £200 to £350, depending on the number of plates that need to have been replaced. I'm sure Tricky will be along to comment, as the last 2 photo's are from his integrale viscous drive
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
|
|
|
Re: Viscous Drive - Rebuilding
[Re: Begbie]
#1185505
14/03/2011 21:14
14/03/2011 21:14
|
tricky
Unregistered
|
tricky
Unregistered
|
Hey theres copy right on those !  You have an interesting point, I would say the best thing to do is phone bara himself just talking to him, he really knows his onions on VC units. He used to modify the units for Abarth grp A. I know he also does alot of stuff for cosworth lads as thier 4x4 uses an actual visco differential quite similar to what you lot have as opposed to the integrale unit which is a 'ferguson' unit acting on a seperate diff. I would say there is an advantage for the coupe but VC's are not a full locking diff and there might be some side effects by going too far with the higher rating in a fwd setup. It is true that the fluid degrades as some of you have already seen, If you can afford it and your car is a well modifyed road car I'd consider a torsen diff (do quaife make them for the coupe ?) I'd phone bara himself if you wan't some advice on what might work.
|
|
|
Re: Viscous Drive - Rebuilding
[Re: Begbie]
#1185576
14/03/2011 22:46
14/03/2011 22:46
|
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,728 London
kj16v
My life on the forum
|
My life on the forum
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,728
London
|
I think the Coupe diff is similar to the 'Grale diff (minus the prop shaft of course), ie. not a 'proper' lsd but an open diff with a seperate viscouse coupling connecting the drveshafts. Everything I've read says that the Viscodrive can't be taken apart, but I've been thinking about buying one for ages to see if you really can't take it apart! Apparently viscoous fluid is only supposed to last <100k miles, which would mean that practically every Coupe on the road needs theirs overhauling!
|
|
|
Re: Viscous Drive - Rebuilding
[Re: Begbie]
#1185703
15/03/2011 08:27
15/03/2011 08:27
|
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 555 Bulgaria
Ferrarist
Enjoying the ride
|
Enjoying the ride
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 555
Bulgaria
|
Can someone tell what exactly is doing to Visco during this overhaul....and what fluid is used for refill????
20VT - Alfa 156 2.0 - Alfa 156 Mid-Engined RWD - Locost 20VT
|
|
|
Re: Viscous Drive - Rebuilding
[Re: Begbie]
#1185905
15/03/2011 14:40
15/03/2011 14:40
|
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 555 Bulgaria
Ferrarist
Enjoying the ride
|
Enjoying the ride
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 555
Bulgaria
|
Sorry if i sound silly, but will things gets better if only oil is changed....
20VT - Alfa 156 2.0 - Alfa 156 Mid-Engined RWD - Locost 20VT
|
|
|
Re: Viscous Drive - Rebuilding
[Re: Begbie]
#1186011
15/03/2011 16:48
15/03/2011 16:48
|
crgracing
Unregistered
|
crgracing
Unregistered
|
I got a new visco for a bit more than 300 pounds from fiat.is it worth your while to spend the money for repair or getting a new one? I bought mine about 1 year ago, and have the old one as a spare.
|
|
|
Re: Viscous Drive - Rebuilding
[Re: kj16v]
#1186024
15/03/2011 17:18
15/03/2011 17:18
|
tricky
Unregistered
|
tricky
Unregistered
|
Oh yes, not seen a coupe one before. It just acts accross the diff ie; the two outputs. None of them are meant to be rebuildable, manufactures suggest buying a new one if it's found to be shot. This bara fella has the correct equipment to do that. I wouldn't recomend taking it apart yourself, as it's filled with very high pressure silicon fluid that might shoot in yer face. Once you have it apart theres not really much that can be one with it anyway.
|
|
|
Re: Viscous Drive - Rebuilding
[Re: ]
#1186464
16/03/2011 14:00
16/03/2011 14:00
|
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408 Essex
Trappy
Club member 7306
|
Club member 7306
Forum is my life
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
|
I got a new visco for a bit more than 300 pounds from fiat.is it worth your while to spend the money for repair or getting a new one? Did it make much difference to the way it delivers power to the road?
F****** b****** thing...
|
|
|
Re: Viscous Drive - Rebuilding
[Re: Begbie]
#1186561
16/03/2011 17:51
16/03/2011 17:51
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312 Sandhurst
Begbie
OP
ex El Presidente
|
OP
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
|
No idea Jimbo, just reciting information taken off the integrale forum. I was contemplating on it, but thought I would be better off spending money on getting the car finished, rather than the Viscous drive.
If anyone wants the contact details they are :
Bara :- 01527 880011 or email him on:- bara@baramotorsports.com
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
|
|
|
Re: Viscous Drive - Rebuilding
[Re: Jimbo]
#1186606
16/03/2011 19:57
16/03/2011 19:57
|
tricky
Unregistered
|
tricky
Unregistered
|
I would say more difficult. My own unit checked out at 140nm, the std being 120nm and it did need replacement discs fitted. This is because the fluid was stale and metal to metal contact was occuring, therefore a higher initial torque is needed to seperate the plates. A typical uprated version for the integrale is 300-400nm The coupe Vc will be rated a lot lower than this probably around 20-40nm and an uprated version will probably not be a massive increase on it. This is because unlike the integrale which has the VC acting on the center diff where the wheel speed diference is not as variable across the two axles whereas the coupe has it between the two outputs of the front diff, where high axle shaft speeds exist and are constantly variable. The VC's job is to promote equall drive, in a fwd car with this setup you might have to be carefull not to introduce too much equal drive otherwise it might start to effect the handling mid corner and under heavy braking. Best speak to bara for advice. This is similar to the delta setup just for referance.
Last edited by tricky; 16/03/2011 19:58.
|
|
|
|