Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Robski1337), 1,372 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1189868
23/03/2011 14:18
23/03/2011 14:18
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
Originally Posted by Al_Galone
I was looking at your video and noticed that only when you press SEL button on HDI your head units gets power,it is also same when you turn on your car just after pressing the button and beep stops your ALPINE gets power.


For reference I checked this again this morning and without the HDI there is a pause between me switching the ignition on / starting the engine and the my headunit getting power. Unforunately it's about the same amount of time I took to select the boost in my video. So without being able to test it again I'm not sure this is relevant.

From reading the recent posts in here, it sounds like we need direct feeds to the battery for the +ve cable.

If I had mine here I would "real world" test it using the wiring for my amp. That's got a direct feed to the battery & direct feed to the chassis for earth. It feeds from the cig lighter red/yellow wire for the switched live.

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1190060
23/03/2011 19:44
23/03/2011 19:44

R
R00
Unregistered
R00
Unregistered
R



Ahh man it gets more hectic with the answers fom people diff coloured wires as well now ?

What a pain in the a**.

Did it state why colours were what on any documents ?..

Awaiting news from those who are going to refit? And that mms pic of the air vent mount = sweet looking see !!! Those who weren't sure.

R00

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1190135
23/03/2011 21:35
23/03/2011 21:35

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D



Originally Posted by dlongstaff
Originally Posted by R00
So does it have to be this way; ?

HDI Red Wire (Perm live) -> direct to battery
HDI Black Wire (Earth) -> any earth point or direct to a chassis earth point.
HDI Blue Wire (Switched live) -> cig lighter or ignition or somthing like that ??

I'm hoping for those who have issues are able to get them resolved, i'll check this post to see updates regarding refits and if the buy continues.

R00 wink


No black wire on mine

Red-battery
Blue-ignition (cig? or window switch)
Green-earth

This is from my instruction booklet and corresponds to the wires, which I bench tested.
Do you have something different? If your instructions and wires relate, then follow that I guess.

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1190237
23/03/2011 23:29
23/03/2011 23:29
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
I've re-instated the Group buy; both me and Gunzi didn't install the boost controller correctly. HDI tested Gunzi's and there wasn't anything wrong with it. I (by that I mean Taffy laugh ) will wire it up correctly with the wire going ot permanent live and this should solve the problem.



Coopless!
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1190547
24/03/2011 15:32
24/03/2011 15:32

A
Al_Galone
Unregistered
Al_Galone
Unregistered
A



Figured it is going to be something like that.
It is too much that both of them are faulty!

Glad to here you are sorted this out!

Please keep on posting here about installing and positions and wiring and driving experience!

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1190597
24/03/2011 17:33
24/03/2011 17:33
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
Driving experience I can comment on! It simply does exactly what it says on the tin, holds the boost you want effectively, no spiking, very smooth, and holds boost much better up the rev range than standard. Very happy with it in that respect.



Coopless!
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1190827
24/03/2011 23:22
24/03/2011 23:22
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
Third night in a row, boost controller is absolutely fine, remembers my settings! Wonder if it was just bedding in?



Coopless!
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1191676
26/03/2011 22:20
26/03/2011 22:20

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D



Finally found the time today to fit the thing and, its works beautifully!

I ran a wire from the battery for permanant live with an inline fuse, went off the window switch for switched live and earth from the end of dash where you can remove the end panel as I have done before. I rested it in the ashtray, no permanent place until I tested that it worked ok. Left enough wire to place wherever when I decide.

I have only given it a quick test, the roads are abit limited where I am.

So, it works switching on and off.
The setting is very easy to adjust.
My boost gauge seemed abit more lively but holds at 1bar.

I fitted a new turbo not so long ago and everything was good. During the last couple of weeks I have noticed I seemed to of lost half a bar. Wondering if I had a leak, but left it until I fitted the controller and address it then. I think the pierburg valve was shot, as now its all smooth and hitting the bar set. So thumbs up for that!

I need to give it more of an appropriate drive but all seems good at the moment.

Only things to comment on the kit is that the wires are spindle thin and I extended the wire from the solenoid as they were way too short to get into the cabin area. (there goes my warranty) I kept mine close to the pierburg.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a good drive.

Good luck to the others, and thanks to Gunzi, bitter sweet I know!

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1191755
27/03/2011 00:18
27/03/2011 00:18
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
Confirmation then that they are fine, I thought so. Mine is fine too, it just beeps when I turn the ignition. I'll have it wired properly when I can.



Coopless!
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1192069
27/03/2011 21:45
27/03/2011 21:45

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D



Had a better drive today, and it feels like a different car.
I realise now how not great my car was performing, fitting the controller has sorted out any issues. So, the unit works. Plus my car drives as it should. Psychological feel good factor aside, the car pulls boosts and holds 1bar, as it was trailing off before. I am really happy with it.
I tidied the wires up and have just stuck it to the underside of the dash under the dimmer control. I think I may just leave it there actually?
Thanks Pinnin for the heads up on this item. Cheers

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1192216
28/03/2011 00:52
28/03/2011 00:52
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
No problem thumb Glad you're happy!



Coopless!
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1192371
28/03/2011 12:56
28/03/2011 12:56

R
R00
Unregistered
R00
Unregistered
R



Sweet !

Glad to hear all of you are getting good results.

Looking forward to getting mine smile

Well done to those who have resolved issues.

R00

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1193769
30/03/2011 14:14
30/03/2011 14:14

T
Tazz1981
Unregistered
Tazz1981
Unregistered
T



Hi all,

I bought one of these, the HDi electronic boost controller EBC-R UK SPL, and was wondering if anyone had any sort of fitting guide?

I'm getting a bit lost as the solenoid has three holes, but only two adaptors for the hoses to go on to. I know it's the red and the blue marked hoses that go on to it, but I'm lost as to which of the 3 they go in to.



Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1193774
30/03/2011 14:19
30/03/2011 14:19
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
It's all in the instruction manual. You need the spec for an internal wastegated option.

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1193776
30/03/2011 14:20
30/03/2011 14:20

T
Tazz1981
Unregistered
Tazz1981
Unregistered
T



I never got an instruction manual....damn eBay buys! Haha

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1193787
30/03/2011 14:28
30/03/2011 14:28
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
Ah I see! Hopefully someone will be along who can scan one in?!

P.S Glad to hear they are working with a direct battery feed smile

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1193792
30/03/2011 14:32
30/03/2011 14:32

T
Tazz1981
Unregistered
Tazz1981
Unregistered
T



Ok, and, can anyone just confirm....blue hose = actuator, red hose = turbo?

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1193885
30/03/2011 15:47
30/03/2011 15:47

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D



If you have a look at the first post on this thread
http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1167658&page=1
There is a link to the manual.
I can't say as I replaced my hoses with new.

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1195917
03/04/2011 18:38
03/04/2011 18:38

N
nismo
Unregistered
nismo
Unregistered
N



Originally Posted by Tazz1981
Hi all,

I bought one of these, the HDi electronic boost controller EBC-R UK SPL, and was wondering if anyone had any sort of fitting guide?

I'm getting a bit lost as the solenoid has three holes, but only two adaptors for the hoses to go on to. I know it's the red and the blue marked hoses that go on to it, but I'm lost as to which of the 3 they go in to.


if your using the boost pipes from your old ebv then the blue tagged pipe goes to port 2 on your hdi solenoid and the red tagged pipe goes on to port 3 on your hdi solenoid and port 1 is left with nothing in it ( not even blocked with anything but has mesh in it ) , hope this helps if not PM me your address and i'll photocopy my installation guide and send you a copy .

click to enlarge

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1195922
03/04/2011 18:49
03/04/2011 18:49

N
nismo
Unregistered
nismo
Unregistered
N



Originally Posted by Tazz1981
Ok, and, can anyone just confirm....blue hose = actuator, red hose = turbo?


sorry just read this post and yes your right - blue hose = actuator, red hose = turbo

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1195928
03/04/2011 19:19
03/04/2011 19:19

N
nismo
Unregistered
nismo
Unregistered
N



click to enlarge

i spent this morning installing my HDi boost control in the same place dlongstaff did as i had no where else to put it . It was quite straight forward to install , run a live and earth to the battery and used the switch live from under the steering cowling ( orange wire on left hand side ) that i also use for the widget and air/fuel gauge , so once installed i went out for a test drive with everything set to low , set low to 1.0 bar and set high to 1.25 bar and the cars alot smoother and seems to eccelarate better/harder and holds the boost better but i did have a problem with my old ebv giving me a fluctuation in boost now and then and thats why i bought the hdi boost control as an uprated ebv was £70 off fleabay .

So many thanks to Pinin for setting up the group buy as i'm very happy with the outcome .

thumb

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1195982
03/04/2011 21:20
03/04/2011 21:20

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D



Great! yipee

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1196026
03/04/2011 22:35
03/04/2011 22:35

J
Joro20VT
Unregistered
Joro20VT
Unregistered
J



I have installed mine today, and everything is OK. Work perfect and I have no problems with memory or something else.


Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1196067
03/04/2011 23:46
03/04/2011 23:46

N
nismo
Unregistered
nismo
Unregistered
N



where did you put your boost controler Joro ?

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1196119
04/04/2011 05:51
04/04/2011 05:51
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
Really pleased to hear everyone's happy with theirs thumb Mine's playing up again, but I've still yet to wire it up properly blush



Coopless!
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1196122
04/04/2011 07:50
04/04/2011 07:50

A
Al_Galone
Unregistered
Al_Galone
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by nismo
click to enlarge

i spent this morning installing my HDi boost control in the same place dlongstaff did as i had no where else to put it . It was quite straight forward to install , run a live and earth to the battery and used the switch live from under the steering cowling ( orange wire on left hand side ) that i also use for the widget and air/fuel gauge , so once installed i went out for a test drive with everything set to low , set low to 1.0 bar and set high to 1.25 bar and the cars alot smoother and seems to eccelarate better/harder and holds the boost better but i did have a problem with my old ebv giving me a fluctuation in boost now and then and thats why i bought the hdi boost control as an uprated ebv was £70 off fleabay .

So many thanks to Pinin for setting up the group buy as i'm very happy with the outcome .

thumb



How did you mounted it on that place?
Did you made some kinf of bracket?

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1196123
04/04/2011 07:57
04/04/2011 07:57

A
Al_Galone
Unregistered
Al_Galone
Unregistered
A



Also fitted mine today,
direct feed from battery +,
ignition plus from window switch and negative from under the dash.
Works like a charm! No problems at all!
It is a bit smoother thing then a MBC ,boost comes in some nice easy way!
But overboost is gone completly and it can hold above 1.0 bar till redline!

And something interesting,
i have noticed that the adjusting HI boost lever is much sensitive then adjusting LO boost lever.
LO is set at 1.2bar and HI at 1.3bar,
but HI lever is set lower then LO lever.

Does anybody knows is there any difference in LO and HI setting in delivering and maintaning boost? Or is it just two levels of boost?

Last edited by Al_Galone; 04/04/2011 07:58.
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1196126
04/04/2011 08:14
04/04/2011 08:14

N
nismo
Unregistered
nismo
Unregistered
N



Originally Posted by Al_Galone
[quote=nismo]click to enlarge

How did you mounted it on that place?
Did you made some kind of bracket?


i used trim repair tape its a double sided sticky tape made from foam .

Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: ] #1197008
05/04/2011 22:17
05/04/2011 22:17

J
Joro20VT
Unregistered
Joro20VT
Unregistered
J



Originally Posted by nismo
where did you put your boost controler Joro ?


+ cig lighter
- cig lighter
ignition from widnow switch

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Last edited by Joro20VT; 05/04/2011 22:23.
Re: HDI Boost controllers - the thread! [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #1198283
07/04/2011 22:58
07/04/2011 22:58

N
nismo
Unregistered
nismo
Unregistered
N



that looks very cool Joro , just nice that you can hide it away .

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.025s Queries: 15 (0.014s) Memory: 0.7266 MB (Peak: 0.9604 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:56:35 UTC