» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 276 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,629
Posts1,341,382
Members1,814
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,304
PeteP 21,522
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,837
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: "Great Coupe for sale -oh I think I will scrap it [Re: ] #1250277
17/08/2011 20:08
17/08/2011 20:08

S
sjay
Unregistered
sjay
Unregistered
S

i bought my coupe for £3000 approx two years ago,one owner,low mileage and then immediatley spent £800.00 getting her something like, i put new leather in her and added various little extras.decided to save up and have a new turbo , cambelt and clutch just as the injectors and tappits failed oh yea the oil feed pipe corroded and split at the same time,cost with labour in total£2500.On the plus side im not paying finance every month ,she looks like nothing else ive ever seen on our roads and still at eleven years old drives like a dream.She is my fourth coupe in ten years would i buy another? TOMMORROW no hesitation.

Re: "Great Coupe for sale -oh I think I will scrap it [Re: ] #1250289
17/08/2011 20:30
17/08/2011 20:30
West Berks
skinflint Offline
I need some sleep
skinflint  Offline
I need some sleep

West Berks
That's exactly the thing.
People who've owned one know what to expect, and come back for more.
People who haven't pick up & share their uneducated opinion with the world- like my tyre fitter at the weekend as he tried to jack my 176,000 mile Alfa up using the floorpan.
When I asked him to lift it from the subframe he started a "s##t cars, Alfas and Fiats - I'd never have one" tirade. Why tell me?

Next day in the pub same thing, gent at the next table started going on about how German cars are best, and Italian cars are rubbish, then went on to explain that his Beemer had needed a new head at 32,000 miles. I rest my case </rant>.

Re: "Great Coupe for sale -oh I think I will scrap it [Re: ] #1250417
18/08/2011 08:32
18/08/2011 08:32
Manchester
andy2 Offline
Making a profit
andy2  Offline
Making a profit

Manchester
If anyone thinks German cars are totally reliable then think again. I have many friends with German cars and all seem to spend far more time in the garage than my Coupe. What's more when they do go wrong they seem to cost more to fix than other marques too.

This article is interesting. Fiat is now above Audi, VW, Mercedes and BMW in the What Car and Warranty Direct reliability survey.

Clicky

Will perceptions ever change? It might take decades. Skoda is still having a hard time shaking off the cheap car stigma, despite the fact that it's products are nowadays often of better quality than the VAG vehicles on which they are based. Look at the league table above again to see that Skoda are the top performing VAG company.

Re: "Great Coupe for sale -oh I think I will scrap it [Re: ] #1250426
18/08/2011 09:23
18/08/2011 09:23

G
GS_Racing
Unregistered
GS_Racing
Unregistered
G

Originally Posted By: griffster
more ads asking three or four thousand pounds, and in same breath ' might break if price not met' ...kinda puts me off considering paying c £4,000 for a car that the the caring owner is considering scrapping..!!

Never come across this before with any other car, - worth more dead than alive?! - Cant see it myself..

what cars do you look at?as this is exactly the case with literally every car site i go on,a car IS generally worth more in parts,especially if modified.this goes for Fiats,Fords,VWs,Nissans,Renaults,the lot.Dedicated breakers would never make any money otherwise.

Re: "Great Coupe for sale -oh I think I will scrap it [Re: ] #1250441
18/08/2011 10:04
18/08/2011 10:04
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Got to be better than US cars...

click to enlarge

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: "Great Coupe for sale -oh I think I will scrap it [Re: ] #1250522
18/08/2011 13:33
18/08/2011 13:33

G
griffster
Unregistered
griffster
Unregistered
G

Originally Posted By: Hammy
lots of rare cars in poor condition can be worth more in bits than as a runner, its what the market will stand.

My cousin had a Delta HF a few years back, it was rougher than you could imagine and to anybody other than a collector, was a total liability. She got it after swapping a Rover 200 and a few hundred in cash. In hard to find bits alone it was worth a lot more than that.

There are lots of tired Coupes around, more than there are people willing to buy them and therefore bad cars are worth breaking up for other owners to get hold of cheap spares. I'm in no doubt that I've spent nearly £800 this year on repairs, if my car is only worth £500 it wouldn't take long to get that sort of money selling most of the nearly new parts off.

I understand that, but when people are asking three or four thousand, not hundred..and in the same breath say they would consider scrapping it...either the asking price is known to be wildly optimistic or the condition of the car cannot be as good as all the documented evidence suggests?!

Re: "Great Coupe for sale -oh I think I will scrap it [Re: ] #1250949
19/08/2011 10:52
19/08/2011 10:52

G
GS_Racing
Unregistered
GS_Racing
Unregistered
G

or they are looking out for number one financially,and not bothered as to wether their car is broken for spares or sold on,as there are far bigger problems in the world to worry about,my own coupe will be broken for spares,i cant see it making enough money as a one off sale for me to do anything with.why would i take less cash for the same thing?i have bills to pay etc...
my car is NOT currently for sale though,im still enjoying it!lol

Last edited by GS_Racing; 19/08/2011 10:52.
Re: "Great Coupe for sale -oh I think I will scrap it [Re: ] #1251605
20/08/2011 23:08
20/08/2011 23:08
Stafford
sandytim Offline
Enjoying the ride
sandytim  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Stafford
Originally Posted By: griffster

I understand that, but when people are asking three or four thousand, not hundred..and in the same breath say they would consider scrapping it...either the asking price is known to be wildly optimistic or the condition of the car cannot be as good as all the documented evidence suggests?!

What has any of this got to do with the price of eggs ? crazy

If you want something in life you pay what it takes to buy it.

When you sell anything you get the best price you can for it.

Anything else is just speculation.
If your looking for an financial investment I suggest your in the wrong place.

When all said and done it's just a cheap (to buy) old italian sportscar.
Most of them are priced less than the cost of a decent peddlebike
The reason most of us are on here is because we want to own one.
Some want to cherish them,
some want to race them,
some want a cheap thrill until they go bang
(or in the case of proccy,an expensive thrill til it goes bang).

So the answer is - if you want one, buy one. rolleyes rolleyes

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2