Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (TwelveTeaVan), 1,148 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,143
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MOT Shocker #1278057
11/10/2011 11:32
11/10/2011 11:32
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
J

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
For the first time ever my grey LE has failed its MOT frown

Offside front brake pipe corroded.

The garage then went on to say they didn't want to replace it as it looks a bitch of a job that will take hours!

So now I have a coupe with no tax or MOT that's going into storage this month!

Brilliant!

Re: MOT Shocker [Re: Jimbo] #1278058
11/10/2011 11:34
11/10/2011 11:34
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,206
england
came2dance Offline
I AM a Coop
came2dance  Offline
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,206
england
Just SORN it then and have it done at a specialist when you're back. I just had brake pipes changed by JBT, don't know if they're the same ones but they were corroded. Maybe this is something else to look out for now frown


[Linked Image]www.chrisdoyle-photography.co.uk

Re: MOT Shocker [Re: Jimbo] #1278060
11/10/2011 11:38
11/10/2011 11:38
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
J

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
I've got to get it to the storage though so it needs an MOT and tax to drive it there.

Re: MOT Shocker [Re: Jimbo] #1278062
11/10/2011 11:40
11/10/2011 11:40
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 22,311
Aldershot
PeteP Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
PeteP  Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
Forum Fossil

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 22,311
Aldershot
If it's the one that goes across the bulkhead, it is a bitch of a job and takes about an hour and a half on a 16VT. That was by someone who knew what they were doing, not me.


16VT and X1/9 1500 + e208 Peugeot

We must all do our part for the planet.
I unplugged a row of electric cars that nobody was using.
I even unplugged my own.
Re: MOT Shocker [Re: Jimbo] #1278069
11/10/2011 12:01
11/10/2011 12:01

M
Marco20ValveT
Unregistered
Marco20ValveT
Unregistered
M



See if you can borrow trade plates and take it some where to get the pipe changed.

There not hard to do at all.

The MOT station are just being stupid.

Re: MOT Shocker [Re: Jimbo] #1278092
11/10/2011 12:30
11/10/2011 12:30
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
J

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
It's an MOT testing station and garage, I've told them if they are going to fail it then they can fix it!

I just don't have the time or means to get the parts and do this myself, I hate not doing jobs on my car but I'm just going to have to let it happen this time.
It's going to have a restoration job when it goes into storage anyway so I guess it's just starting a bit early.

Re: MOT Shocker [Re: Jimbo] #1278153
11/10/2011 14:05
11/10/2011 14:05

K
knight7660
Unregistered
knight7660
Unregistered
K



joe can get it collected then hel do it his end

Re: MOT Shocker [Re: Jimbo] #1278159
11/10/2011 14:19
11/10/2011 14:19
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
J

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
I did think about calling Joe and using that option but to be honest, I need some transport to get my final bits and bobs sorted before I go.
I went on the push bike to my local parts place to replace the rear brakes on the VW, the 24 mile round trip nearly killed me in the 20mph winds.

They should nearly have it done now anyway, I got the call at 10am to say it needed fixing and I just told them to crack on and do it.

Re: MOT Shocker [Re: Jimbo] #1278297
11/10/2011 17:56
11/10/2011 17:56
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
J

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
MOT passed, £190 to replace the pipe and do the MOT so not too bad really.
Nothing else in the advisory box so she's good for another year.

Oh and brake readings, an area that coupes seem to struggle on;
Code
Front L-367kgf  Front R-364kgf
Rear  L-137kgf  Rear  R-141kgf
70% efficiency (50% required for pass)

Handbrake
Left- 150kgf  Right- 143kgf
20% efficiency (16% required for pass)


That's on cold pads, they get better after an Italian tune up! laugh

Last edited by Jimbo; 11/10/2011 20:01.
Re: MOT Shocker [Re: Jimbo] #1278368
11/10/2011 19:42
11/10/2011 19:42
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Offline
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
At least you didn't have to do the rears - the fuel tank had to get dropped to get them over the top frown


BumbleBee carer smile
Re: MOT Shocker [Re: Jimbo] #1278383
11/10/2011 20:02
11/10/2011 20:02
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
J

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
This is true, although the mechanic did say it was a real PITA.
I had a quick look when I got home, looked simple enough, I've worked in much tighter spaces than that!


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.014s Queries: 14 (0.009s) Memory: 0.6393 MB (Peak: 0.7400 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 20:47:01 UTC