Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,286 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tyre sizes??? #1315987
12/02/2012 18:10
12/02/2012 18:10
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
Is 225 suitable for an 8.5J wheel? (18")

Thats what I have and its slightly stretched, I think 235 would look more of a comfortable fit. Not fussed about the speedo being out by 1 mph or so.

Jimbo, if you read this, I believe from memory you told me once you have 215/40/18 but how wide are your wheels?

So ideally I think 235/35/18 would be good, but tyre prices in that size are NOT very pretty!

P.S Also, what is the other symbols on tyres. Ive seen 2 or 3 Continental CSC 3 or 5 and they are all the same price but one will say XL or AO and im sure there is another one???

Thanks again.

Thanks, Maurizio.

Last edited by technics; 12/02/2012 18:47.

Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1315991
12/02/2012 18:27
12/02/2012 18:27

C
cheech
Unregistered
cheech
Unregistered
C



For 8.5J rims

min size 225
ideal size 235-245
max size 255

different tyre brands of same sizes may look different too, due to side wall rim protecter style etc.


Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316112
13/02/2012 09:18
13/02/2012 09:18

C
cheech
Unregistered
cheech
Unregistered
C



AO is Audi approved tyres . * is for BMW ,NO N1 N2 is porsche ,A is Alfa plus many more codes for car manufactures. There may be slight chages to marked tyres from non marked , like side wall stiffness etc.

XL is extra load rating.

On my set of 18x8.5J i have used 225/35/18. And found that Continental Sport Contact 3 come to the rim edge more then Bridgestone S03 do.

The CSC still dont protect the rim though .

Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316158
13/02/2012 12:03
13/02/2012 12:03
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
Thanks mate.

So if I go for conti csc preferably 5, what do I go for? What is extra load rating for? If I spend all this money, I want to get it right.

Thanks.


Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316170
13/02/2012 12:37
13/02/2012 12:37

C
cheech
Unregistered
cheech
Unregistered
C



Im no tyre expert just know about some codes from sourcing tyres for friends.

Some views on the manufacture rating is
1. Its a sales/marketing thing.
2. Its where audi or who ever have made deal with tyre manufacture. the mould is same just has the mark in it.
3. warrenty issue on new or new cars.
4. The compound may be a little different. more for super cars
5. The side wall is stiffer then non rated.
How true all of them are i couldnt say.

I wouldnt put non N rated tyres on a porsche though .

I have never gone bigger then 225 so couldnt tell you if wider rub or not. The sizes i gave in first post are for 8.5J rim not what fits the coupe. Although im sure some on here have used 245 .

To get better prices on tyres you need to have friend who works in tyre trade. They can buy direct from wholesellers.
I used to get 225/35/18 bridgestone S03 for £100 each fitted and blanced, its almost buy on get one free compared to tyre shop.

With 400+ bhp i would buy the best tyres , and not what you afford. Tyre choice can be a very personal thing too.

I dont believe there was ever a coupe tyre in terms of the codes. just P-zero and the correct speed rating.

Just make sure the tyre is correct speed rating for coupe ,W i think off top of my head.

Hopefuly some one else can confirm this for you.

Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316174
13/02/2012 12:49
13/02/2012 12:49

J
jonone
Unregistered
jonone
Unregistered
J



scroll down on this link shows you charts.

for a simplified answer, in the 20vt info they suggest a 89y.

'89' is the load it can handle =580kg per tyre and 'y' is the speed rating= 186mph.

xl is a higher load rating with stiffer side walls recommended for heavier cars for example a conti gt or an audi rs8 etc.

18" tyres naturally have high speed and load ratings because bigger/sportier cars generally have bigger wheels.

post the tyres your stuck between.

Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316177
13/02/2012 12:58
13/02/2012 12:58

C
cheech
Unregistered
cheech
Unregistered
C



There you go then you need ???/??/18 89y in what ever tyre choice you make.

I wont recomend a brand my self as i have often disliked what has been recomended by friends in past , mainly Eagle F1s really didnt like them .

But CSC should be fine.

Last edited by cheech; 13/02/2012 16:19. Reason: profile size may be wrong for width choice
Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316179
13/02/2012 13:21
13/02/2012 13:21
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
Thanks guys, after lots of homework I really fancy the Continental S C 5.
I'll try and post links later as I'm at work at the moment and doing all this off my phone.

Thanks.


Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316180
13/02/2012 13:21
13/02/2012 13:21
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
Thanks guys, after lots of homework I really fancy the Continental S C 5.
I'll try and post links later as I'm at work at the moment and doing all this off my phone.

Thanks.


Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316187
13/02/2012 13:44
13/02/2012 13:44

C
cheech
Unregistered
cheech
Unregistered
C



I dont know where you looking for tyres , but dont be tricked by the often bargin price new tyres you see on ebay

They have gone past legal sale by date(5 years i think from manufacture), they cant be sold by shop and you often see them on ebay or private sale etc . They are legal to be fitted although a good fitter will warn you of this, and some may refuse.

You can check by the build date code on side wall.

The con is if they have been stored wrong they maybe harder and have cracks etc.

BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im sure CSC5 are too new to be effected by this , but bridgestone S02 and such will be old stock.


Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316188
13/02/2012 13:45
13/02/2012 13:45

J
jonone
Unregistered
jonone
Unregistered
J



sport contact 5 seems to be "THE" tyre at the moment, you wont go wrong with it.

Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: ] #1316220
13/02/2012 15:28
13/02/2012 15:28
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 9,737
Zele, Belgium
Kayjey Offline
Club Member #10
Kayjey  Offline
Club Member #10
Je suis un Coupé

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 9,737
Zele, Belgium
Originally Posted by cheech
There you go then you need ???/35/18 89y in what ever tyre choice you make.


Whoops, the second number (35 here) depends on the first number, because in combo they define the total circumferenceof the tyre. 225/35 will be different from 245/35 in terms of total height of the tyre and may even be illegal if not within manufacturer's spec +/- 10% (depending on local law).


- Kayjey -

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316224
13/02/2012 15:35
13/02/2012 15:35

C
cheech
Unregistered
cheech
Unregistered
C



I left the first set as ???. As thats upto buyer to choose 225/235/245 etc. As they stated 225 right for 8.5J and said they looking/thinking of 235.

Im aware the 35 or 40 refers to % of width and does not mean 35mm or 40mm etc.

Which is why i use 225/35/18 dia +2mm cir +6mm its the closest to standard wheels you can get for 18s

Last edited by cheech; 13/02/2012 15:52.
Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316236
13/02/2012 16:37
13/02/2012 16:37

C
cheech
Unregistered
cheech
Unregistered
C



Ok on closer look at my 18s the CSC3 dont stick out any further then the Bridgestones . But the widest point of rim protect is tighter to rim lip/edge. The CSC3 look a better fit for it.

Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316309
13/02/2012 20:21
13/02/2012 20:21
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
Here is one of the links and probably the best price I can find so far. They all seem to say xl for some reason, is that suitable?

I know its 225/40/18, but this is what im probably going for or 235/35/18 but they are much more expensive.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b1732s134p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_18%5C_inch_CONTINENTAL_TYRES_CAR_CONTINENTAL_SPORT_CONTACT_5_CONTISPORTCONTACT_5_-_R18_inch_-_225_40_18_225_40_R_18

I have one guy I can call, but what do I ask for just Continental Sport Contact 5 and thats it? Or do I mention anything in specific?



Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316311
13/02/2012 20:28
13/02/2012 20:28
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan


Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316344
13/02/2012 22:07
13/02/2012 22:07

C
cheech
Unregistered
cheech
Unregistered
C



None of the above

1st are mpv wheels hence the xl rating
2nd are merc approved
3rd are audi approved
4th are xl rated
5th are merc xl rated approved

2nd and 3rd are closest but not in that size in link. 235/35/18 would be better choice then 225/40/18. Ask a tyre shop about audi or merc approved tyres on coupe. Its what the factory fit at new and may or may not be different like ive said before.

I would stick to the 225/35/18 . I wouldnt want to drop profile any lower then 35, bad enough as it is . I drive like miss dasiy anyway and have standard power.

A friend has 20 profile 225/20/20 on 9J i think ,it makes for some interesting handling. First time ive had to hold on to something in car.

I sure Joe (cc) had some 245 on 18s ask him what size and if any good rub or not full lock issues etc. As no one else has answered on bigger then 225 and best profile to go for.

Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316615
14/02/2012 23:17
14/02/2012 23:17
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
Thanks for the help.

But I can't seen to find these tyres without this xl rating or merc, audi approved???

As for profile I definitely don't want to go lower then 225/35, like you say its bad enough, hence why I want to go 225/40, I think that would make a good difference to comfort and still look good. Also I know the rears would be fine like that, I've had the rear arches rolled in and the front you can do some modifying to stop any minor rubs.

Its just finding these tyres now,

Thanks.


Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316629
15/02/2012 00:28
15/02/2012 00:28

J
jonone
Unregistered
jonone
Unregistered
J



camskill
don't worry about the xl it just means it stronger for heavier loads.

Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316630
15/02/2012 00:41
15/02/2012 00:41
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
So ignore the xl bit Jon? To be honest no matter where I look they all say it.

Cheers bud.


Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316649
15/02/2012 08:50
15/02/2012 08:50

C
cheech
Unregistered
cheech
Unregistered
C



technics

If your rear arches have been rolled yeah that would help lots with higher profile i expect. And yeah shave the front arch liner down if needed.

Could you post pic of you rear rolled arch , did you have them rolled by arch enemy? did it dent the panel at all. Or was it panel hammer and dolly/spoon?. If it was hammer and dolly was it just the top flat part done?
Looked into this few years ago but at time was told you couldnt use arch roller tool on flat arches, so didnt use the rolling tool.
Did the rear arch liner need any trimmimg too?

Last edited by cheech; 15/02/2012 08:55.
Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316892
15/02/2012 22:14
15/02/2012 22:14
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
I haven't got my car at the minute, its having some suspension work done, should have it back by the weekend so I'll try and get some pics then, otherwise remind me.

As for the terms you've used above, I really wouldn't have a clue. Buy me saying they have been rolled is not technically right. They have actually more sort of just been cut away and re-sealed with something. Its done the trick though. Not sure about the rear arch liners.
All this was done at a local place near me, I used to go to school with the guy, some sort of coachworks place.


Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1316893
15/02/2012 22:14
15/02/2012 22:14
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
I haven't got my car at the minute, its having some suspension work done, should have it back by the weekend so I'll try and get some pics then, otherwise remind me.

As for the terms you've used above, I really wouldn't have a clue. Buy me saying they have been rolled is not technically right. They have actually more sort of just been cut away and re-sealed with something. Its done the trick though. Not sure about the rear arch liners.
All this was done at a local place near me, I used to go to school with the guy, some sort of coachworks place.


Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1317033
16/02/2012 15:52
16/02/2012 15:52

G
griffster
Unregistered
griffster
Unregistered
G



anyone use wider front tyre to that on rear to try and reduce understeer? - say 215 to 205 rear with a little neg camber on front

Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1317036
16/02/2012 16:02
16/02/2012 16:02

C
cheech
Unregistered
cheech
Unregistered
C



technics

Arch enemy is a SE based company that do arch rolling and flaring.
Arch rolling tool is just a carjack on hub plate with pallet truck type looking wheel basicly to reform/roll/flare.
Dollys and spoons is just a range of panel beater tools to reshape form metal.
Or the ghetto way scaf bar or baseball bat does the trick too,rock the car or drive slowly , with bar/bat inbetween wheel and arch.

griffster

never tried that never will either. i run same size all round so i can swap them front to back every 6months or so.

Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1317276
17/02/2012 14:19
17/02/2012 14:19

G
griffster
Unregistered
griffster
Unregistered
G



swapping tyres doesnt make them last any longer just makes what was on rear wear out quicker!

RWD cars often have wider on rear to avoid power oversteer, same should work in reverse

Re: Tyre sizes??? [Re: technics] #1317286
17/02/2012 14:50
17/02/2012 14:50

C
cheech
Unregistered
cheech
Unregistered
C



Never said they last longer.
I dont do many miles in my car, if i just left front tyres on front i would be just replacing them. leaving x years old tyres on rear.

So when i do buy new tyres the rears go on front and new on back, Also swap like i siad to give more even wear across all tyres.
Thats how i do it , how you choose to do it is up to you.

The Mugan CR-x hybrid supercharged car has wider tyres on front or wider front track one of them anyway. That didnt help it much with understear according to 5th gear.

Last edited by cheech; 17/02/2012 14:57.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.020s Queries: 14 (0.012s) Memory: 0.7050 MB (Peak: 0.8891 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 23:50:20 UTC