Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,286 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
High torque/power clutch #1334729
15/04/2012 01:36
15/04/2012 01:36
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
I think my clutch MIGHT be on the way out. Driving home down the A3 from Guildford and booted it a few times once or twice I did feel a slight judder/slip, but then as I got on the B roads and was trying to test it, I didnt really feel it again.

BUT, if I do need a new clutch kit what are my options?

At the moment I have a Helix Organic with around 360 torques and in the near future might look at a power upgrade (400 torques/500bhp+) so wouldnt feel comfortable paying good money for a Helix Organic and it only lasts a few thousand miles.

Ideas/options please? (Preferably with prices)

Thanks.


Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: High torque/power clutch [Re: technics] #1334735
15/04/2012 02:17
15/04/2012 02:17

B
Biggenz
Unregistered
Biggenz
Unregistered
B



I'm running the Helix 6 paddle as you know and it's doing the job on mine. Almost like a standard clutch to drive around town.

Next up you can get a push type single plate that will hold more torque, and then twin plate. Both of these are particularly harsh in traffic or around town, but you'll be sure it will hold the power.

Re: High torque/power clutch [Re: technics] #1334742
15/04/2012 07:56
15/04/2012 07:56
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
My Helix Organic tends to last around 25,000 - 30,000 miles, although last time I replaced it, I only changed the friction plate - kept the cover plate. This has meant that the splines have worn a bit more than would be usual and I now have a fairly juddery clutch action if I try to pull away at tickover.

Biggenz - I'm interested to hear that you feel the Helix 6-paddle is similar to standard around town. This is my over-riding requirement - I cannot cope with an on/off clutch - I have to be able to trickle the car along in traffic without having to dial in 2,000rpm to avoid judder.

On my car (worn splines notwithstanding) I can normally pull away and change to 2nd without touching the throttle - the clutch really is progressive (but bloody heavy)

Re: High torque/power clutch [Re: technics] #1334783
15/04/2012 10:22
15/04/2012 10:22

B
Biggenz
Unregistered
Biggenz
Unregistered
B



The Helix paddle is really very good on mine Nigel. The pedal is as light as standard as they don't use the same cover as on the organic. It's still a paddle though and you cant avoid all the judder, but once you get the hang of it, it's great.

I literally have to give it slight throttle to pull away smoothly and can drive it in London traffic all day long.

Re: High torque/power clutch [Re: technics] #1334798
15/04/2012 11:24
15/04/2012 11:24

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J



Rebuild your current clutch and skim the flywheel to increase the clamping force.
Cheapest option unless you want to spend over 1k just on the clutch.

Re: High torque/power clutch [Re: ] #1336434
20/04/2012 13:55
20/04/2012 13:55

N
nedge2k
Unregistered
nedge2k
Unregistered
N



oh but it's worth it wink
click to enlarge

Re: High torque/power clutch [Re: technics] #1336451
20/04/2012 15:03
20/04/2012 15:03
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
Looks nice, is that for a 20vt?
What power/torque is that rated for?


Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: High torque/power clutch [Re: technics] #1336461
20/04/2012 15:56
20/04/2012 15:56

N
nedge2k
Unregistered
nedge2k
Unregistered
N



469 ft/lbs - it's actually for the WRC Fiesta but has the common 7 1/4" bolt pattern. flywheel is 20vt ultralight.

Re: High torque/power clutch [Re: technics] #1336545
20/04/2012 21:31
20/04/2012 21:31
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
Wow, sounds great.
So this is a straight fir for a 20vt? Im interested!

What sort of mileage is it going to last though? I know it depends on driving style but rough idea would be good.

I had a Helix 4 paddle clutch in my car when I first got it and it was dead down to the rivets/screws after 4-5k! Waste of time and money.

Thanks.


Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: High torque/power clutch [Re: technics] #1336560
20/04/2012 22:19
20/04/2012 22:19

N
nedge2k
Unregistered
nedge2k
Unregistered
N



Nah, its far from a straight fit. Gearbox needs converting to push type for a start (although pull types are available) - a coaxial clutch slave would be a good idea.

No idea what miles it could do on the road but a few thousand in a mk2 escort rally car or about a thousand in the WRC fiesta.

Re: High torque/power clutch [Re: technics] #1336568
20/04/2012 22:49
20/04/2012 22:49
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
shocked

Fair play.


Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: High torque/power clutch [Re: ] #1336771
21/04/2012 18:57
21/04/2012 18:57

I
Ismo
Unregistered
Ismo
Unregistered
I



Originally Posted by nedge2k
Nah, its far from a straight fit. Gearbox needs converting to push type for a start (although pull types are available) - a coaxial clutch slave would be a good idea.

No idea what miles it could do on the road but a few thousand in a mk2 escort rally car or about a thousand in the WRC fiesta.


click to enlarge click to enlarge

This is direct fit and will hold huge torgue.
Same clutch being used at 700hp Marea says Displatec.
Driven 2000km, paid for it ~2000$ - plus customs.
Model is Displatec Pro-Street Racing
Check specs from Sistema Pro Street Racing

Just taken out from my car as my wife won't drive my Coupe with that clutch smile

Ismo

Last edited by Ismo; 23/04/2012 06:48.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.016s Queries: 14 (0.009s) Memory: 0.6417 MB (Peak: 0.7472 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 23:55:34 UTC