Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,019 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
pros and cons of different wheels sizes and weight #1345970
24/05/2012 00:24
24/05/2012 00:24
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
technics Offline OP
I need some sleep
technics  Offline OP
I need some sleep

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,486
London Tan
I really considering some 17" Team Dynamic alloys but then again I really dont want to get rid of the 18" Azev C love

So, what are the pros and cons of going from 18" Azev 8.5j rims to 17" Team Dynamics 7j rims?

Tyre wise at the minute I have 225/40/18 and the Team dynamics I would go for similar, i.e 225/40/17 so the amount of sidewall would be the same, so where are the gains if any?

Thanks,


Now in the 400+ bhp club!
Re: pros and cons of different wheels sizes and weight [Re: technics] #1346017
24/05/2012 08:35
24/05/2012 08:35

P
pstruck
Unregistered
pstruck
Unregistered
P



Not sure on the pros and cons of 'unsprung weight', but I'm sure someone will soon be along with that info.

Re your suggested tyre size for the 17's..... you'll struggle to find 225/40/17. I have some 215/40's on route to me and some opt for 215/45. Some have even fitted 225/45, but usually end up with some rubbing issues.

Re: pros and cons of different wheels sizes and weight [Re: ] #1346024
24/05/2012 09:20
24/05/2012 09:20
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline
ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Originally Posted by pstruck
Not sure on the pros and cons of 'unsprung weight', but I'm sure someone will soon be along with that info.

Quicker acceleration and better handling, supposedly.


Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: pros and cons of different wheels sizes and weight [Re: technics] #1346030
24/05/2012 09:46
24/05/2012 09:46
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 555
Bulgaria
Ferrarist Offline
Enjoying the ride
Ferrarist  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 555
Bulgaria
Had 215\45\17 few months ago - now using 225\40\18
Pros of 18's - more cornering and braking grip, little bit less wheelspin when boosting hard 2 - 3th gear.
Cons of 18's - weights more, takes more time to reach the speed and power.....
I personally prefer good braking and corner stability instead of little bit more power.....


20VT - Alfa 156 2.0 - Alfa 156 Mid-Engined RWD - Locost 20VT

Re: pros and cons of different wheels sizes and weight [Re: technics] #1346186
24/05/2012 18:51
24/05/2012 18:51

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J



Allegedly the new touring car civic has bigger wheels whereas the older still in use civic has the smaller wheels
They were saying that this gave them a much greater advantage to cornering.

Re: pros and cons of different wheels sizes and weight [Re: technics] #1346253
24/05/2012 22:04
24/05/2012 22:04

P
Per
Unregistered
Per
Unregistered
P



Lightweight 18" will make for the best handling me thinks.

225/35-18 would be the correct wheel size for Fiat Coupe, while 17" would be either 215/40-17 or 235/40-17.

Now, 215/40-17 and 235/40-17 do NOT have the same tirewall height. "40" is the height, but the percentage of the width. So the 235 tire is both taller and wider then the 215 one here.


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.794s Queries: 14 (0.009s) Memory: 0.6130 MB (Peak: 0.6715 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:21:53 UTC