» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rosso), 87 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,603
Posts1,341,145
Members1,802
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,556
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,300
PeteP 21,513
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,796
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quitting smoking... #1352260
17/06/2012 11:27
17/06/2012 11:27
Birmingham City Centre!
MattyB Offline OP
My job on the forum
MattyB  Offline OP
My job on the forum

Birmingham City Centre!
Here I go again for the 4th time in 18 months! I dont want to quit but money and health is forcing me too frown

No idea how I'm going to do it! I have some E-cigs and nicorate mints.

Any tips?

Ex Coupe Owner - Unfortunate Peugeot driver!
Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1352274
17/06/2012 12:04
17/06/2012 12:04

F
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
F

Hoping to quit when not wanting to quit is not a good starting point.

The benefit of extra cash or non-immediate health issues are not really going to be enough. Maybe you should concentrate on other areas. For instance:
- Now smoking is banned in work and public spaces you smell real bad. You can't smell it because your still smoking, but believe me you smell like a tramp. You're socially repugnant.
- Smoking is now associated with losers. Look around you and see what demographic, as a general group, are still smoking - yep, it's those with very little else.

When I packed them in, I found something I despised was closely associated with cigarettes (Thatcher taking a directorship with Phillip Morris) gave me a mental reason not to smoke, and killed that initial 'only one won't hurt' thought process right away.

I had also worked my way down to Silk Cut extra, extra mild (the old all-white box), and it's just embarrassing buying them - it's a public admission that you're hooked.

I guess in summary, what I'm saying is, you have to hate yourself as a smoker, because there's more to you than that. That you don't want to be defined by others as a sucker to the cigarette industry.

Good luck.

Last edited by FreakinFreak; 17/06/2012 12:07.
Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1352283
17/06/2012 12:34
17/06/2012 12:34

D
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
D

Hypnotism can work for some people. There are MP3's you can download for around a fiver. I think hypnosisdownloads.com and uncommonknowledge do them, I used the nail-biting one which worked (for 6 months, I have to listen to it periodically but it's only 20 mins long)!

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1352321
17/06/2012 13:49
17/06/2012 13:49
West Berks
skinflint Offline
I need some sleep
skinflint  Offline
I need some sleep

West Berks
I don't want to perpetuate the "it is difficult to give up smoking" myth , because that along with all the crappy patches - ecigs, gum etc. is what makes it harder.

So what does work?
Books tend to give you the opportunity to move on mentally and you definitely need this. Alan Carr has some good stuff in it.

Evaluate every cig you smoke. Was it a good one? You'll be amazed that about 90% of the time that cig you smoked has just made you feel crap.

Identify your trigger points.
For me there were 3.

1. "I'm having a crap day - can't wait to have a fag" Once I'd mentally booked the next cigarette nothing would stop me, so I stopped promising them to myself.

2. Bored in the car - Swapped the cigs for sweets. Not a great choice, but it could be gum, or anything.

3. Pub - solved by the smoking ban.

Enjoy the healthy new you.
36 hours - the worst of the withdrawal is over.
5 days - start to feel good.
6 months - your lungs are cleaner, you're capable of anything a non-smoker can do.

Find a new way to get high. Alcohol, physical exercise, sex, whatever.

Finally, use your tenses correctly.
The moment you stop you ARE a non-smoker. You are not giving up, you have given up.

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1352330
17/06/2012 14:46
17/06/2012 14:46
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Cumbria
Easiest way to give up smoking? Have a CT scan like I did three months ago that shows a large bulla (hole/space) in my left upper lobe, multiple smaller bullae (holes/spaces) all over both lungs, fibrosis in both lungs and emphysema in both lungs. I have smoked for less than 20yrs, usually 20/day.

Trust me, when you have a doctor apologising for breaking "such bad news" via the telephone due to circumstances beyond his control instead of in person, you'll give up there and then!

So, your choice, stop now and don't go through what I'm going through (shortness of breath, in a wheelchair, attending respiratory clinics etc) or say "Sod it" and carry on smoking......

I used to rationalise it to myself that grandmother/grandfather both smoked and lived into their 90's *but* what I was turning a blind eye to was the fact that my father died of lung cancer aged only 5yrs older than I am now. I am an idiot! banghead

Given the chance I'd never have started (only did after the death of my father....as the yanks say, "Go figure!").

I gave up mainly through fear of dying sooner rather than later, and using nicotine lozenges and the inhalator. It has been easy! Very easy! In fact, I've tried three or four times in the past but always ended up cheating with a crafty one every day/second day and never lasting that long, couple of weeks maximum.

The smoking cessation service in your area might help, best of all they'd get your nicotine replacement therapy on prescription for you to save money, but here's a money saving tip anyway; Morrison's own brand nicotine lozenges are identical to the Nicorette ones wink

Good luck and trust me, when you see the attitude change in the CT scan staff and you *know* they've found bad news you'll wish you'd given up years ago! Don't put yourself through this...... frown

[Linked Image]
Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1352331
17/06/2012 15:10
17/06/2012 15:10
highlands
jimboy Offline
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline
Club Member 857
Forum is my life

highlands
I gave up smoking over twenty three years ago for health reasons. Easy for the likes of me to come along & say it was an easy choice, but it really was.

I woke up one morning after the night before & was greeted with dark blood on the pillow. Mmm not good I thought. Without going into too much detail I gave up. Screwed up all the cigarettes in the house & never looked back. No patches or waste of money things too complicate the issue.

I wanted to live long enough to become a Granddad at least. The money I saved was a bonus as well. Nowadays it's a small fortune feeding your smoking habit. Personally there are no real tips other than using the grey matter. AS I say, so easy for me, but that's only my wee story. Give up man, you know it makes sense.... smokin loser

Last edited by jimboy; 17/06/2012 15:11.

I'm an old git & happy with it,most of the time
Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1352335
17/06/2012 15:22
17/06/2012 15:22

S
sediciRich
Unregistered
sediciRich
Unregistered
S

All I would add it change behaviours which were associated with smoking, for example if you have a break at x time of day with a coffee and Cig then avoid the break, do something else, even change choice of drink location etc to lessen the association.

Good luck.

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1352342
17/06/2012 16:04
17/06/2012 16:04
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Berlin
My father was a pipe and cigar smoker when I was a child, which I hated.

One day I squirted him in the face with a fire extinguisher.

He stopped smoking same day... I was able to sit down again sometime the next week.

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1352352
17/06/2012 16:33
17/06/2012 16:33
Birmingham City Centre!
MattyB Offline OP
My job on the forum
MattyB  Offline OP
My job on the forum

Birmingham City Centre!
Well, I've now been up 6 hours and havent had a cig. Only a few puffs of the E-cig.

I keep thinking about nipping out to buy some fags but then asking myself why?
I think today is an easy day as I havent been out or needed to go out. It's going to be the rest of the week which will be hard.

I'm going to the pub for a roast in an hour or so and this pub has a nice sheltered beer garden I'm pretty much always in. This will be the test......

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1352354
17/06/2012 16:48
17/06/2012 16:48
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
My wife and I both gave up on the same day in 1990 when we found she was pregnant. She was on 20 a day and I was between 30 and 40.

Easiest thing I've ever done, as the consequences of continuing were (potentially) unthinkable.

A positive side-effect is that (in today's terms), we haven't spent about £130 grand on fags since we gave up. However, for some reason, I can't seem to find the money we saved......

[Linked Image]
Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: Nigel] #1352375
17/06/2012 18:22
17/06/2012 18:22

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: Nigel
we haven't spent about £130 grand on fags since we gave up. However, for some reason, I can't seem to find the money we saved......

Look at the pics of your coupes, you should be able to see £££ signs all over them laugh

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: stan] #1352386
17/06/2012 19:26
17/06/2012 19:26

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted By: stan
Easiest way to give up smoking? Have a CT scan like I did three months ago that shows a large bulla (hole/space) in my left upper lobe, multiple smaller bullae (holes/spaces) all over both lungs, fibrosis in both lungs and emphysema in both lungs. I have smoked for less than 20yrs, usually 20/day.

Trust me, when you have a doctor apologising for breaking "such bad news" via the telephone due to circumstances beyond his control instead of in person, you'll give up there and then!

So, your choice, stop now and don't go through what I'm going through (shortness of breath, in a wheelchair, attending respiratory clinics etc) or say "Sod it" and carry on smoking......

I used to rationalise it to myself that grandmother/grandfather both smoked and lived into their 90's *but* what I was turning a blind eye to was the fact that my father died of lung cancer aged only 5yrs older than I am now. I am an idiot! banghead

Given the chance I'd never have started (only did after the death of my father....as the yanks say, "Go figure!").

I gave up mainly through fear of dying sooner rather than later, and using nicotine lozenges and the inhalator. It has been easy! Very easy! In fact, I've tried three or four times in the past but always ended up cheating with a crafty one every day/second day and never lasting that long, couple of weeks maximum.

The smoking cessation service in your area might help, best of all they'd get your nicotine replacement therapy on prescription for you to save money, but here's a money saving tip anyway; Morrison's own brand nicotine lozenges are identical to the Nicorette ones wink

Good luck and trust me, when you see the attitude change in the CT scan staff and you *know* they've found bad news you'll wish you'd given up years ago! Don't put yourself through this...... frown

Sorry to hear this Stan.

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: ] #1352401
17/06/2012 20:14
17/06/2012 20:14
North Wales
Theresa Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Theresa  Offline
Forum Fossil

North Wales
As most on here know, I was a 60 a day smoker until Jan 2nd this year.

I stopped smoking with the help of Nicorette's Nasal Spray (excellent stuff if you're a heavy smoker) and Nicorette's Quickmist mouth spray (I'd recommend you buy this, it's good stuff).
I also had an ecig too.

I stopped using the nasal sprays and mouth sprays after about 3 months and still use the ecig.

I still have a nicotine intake and love my ecig, so hard to say if I've really given up smoking or not, but it's certainly a healthier alternative and it's my health that concerned me, which is why I stopped smoking.

It's been 5 and a 1/2 months for me now and have no intentions of starting smoking again and I put this down to the help of the ecig.

As you're not a heavy smoker, I wouldn't recommend the nasal spray, but I would certainly recommend the Quick mist mouth spray to you and will help you more than gum will cool

I've tried every stop smoking aid available and have a good knowledge of each product available laugh

Good luck!

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1352815
18/06/2012 19:43
18/06/2012 19:43

S
symonh2000
Unregistered
symonh2000
Unregistered
S

My mum has to go for a CT scan this wedmesday after the doctor examined her and found something he didn't like. She is 59 now and has been smoking 20 a day since she was 17.

She has a really bad cough, and smells like a stinking ashtray.

Erlier this year my Grandad dies of complications from Empysema, he stopped smoking 20 years ago but beforehand had smoked since his teens.

I hate the habit, and wish you the best of success stopping. You will feel better for it I am sure, and almost certainly live far longer with a better quality of life.

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1352998
19/06/2012 12:03
19/06/2012 12:03
Birmingham City Centre!
MattyB Offline OP
My job on the forum
MattyB  Offline OP
My job on the forum

Birmingham City Centre!
Day 4. Sat at my desk with my knee bouncing around and I'd kill for a cig. I've had some of my e-cig and currently chewing gum. Just got to get to get over the next few days and hoping it'll start getting easier.

Hoping I dont have one at the weekend.

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1353004
19/06/2012 12:16
19/06/2012 12:16
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Cumbria
Why not try the lozenges? Oh, and hold a pen in your hand if you can wink

Week one is the craving week, worst one of the lot, get past that and it's a breeze, trust me!

[Linked Image]
Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: stan] #1353295
20/06/2012 02:03
20/06/2012 02:03
North Wales
Theresa Offline
Theresa  Offline
Forum Fossil

North Wales
Keep going Matty, you'll manage cool

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1353696
21/06/2012 12:35
21/06/2012 12:35
Birmingham City Centre!
MattyB Offline OP
My job on the forum
MattyB  Offline OP
My job on the forum

Birmingham City Centre!
I've failed. I gave in yesterday evening and had a couple..... Well, 7.
I was very very irratable... although I only bought 10 and I havent taken with me to work today. I'm back on the e-cig again. Figured i'll try and "cut" down and see the doctors for additional help.
I have no will power unfortunately frown

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1353703
21/06/2012 13:08
21/06/2012 13:08
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Cumbria
I would not beat yourself up by having a slip up; stats show it can take four attempts before you can quit properly, heck I'm not even sure it is ever possible to be totally "craving free" but maybe it is....

Anyway, it was one day, and now you just keep on going without the smokes.

[Linked Image]
Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: stan] #1353828
21/06/2012 18:11
21/06/2012 18:11

R
roly
Unregistered
roly
Unregistered
R

It ain't easy Matty but stick at it.

Lack of willpower's my problem too. Have given up countless times for months on end but go on holiday or have a night on the pop and think "I'm having a fag" - more for the wantonness of it rather than actually craving one. Stupid really.

I'll be having another dabble when I get to the end of my duty frees after the latest failed attempt - and when I do it I'll have another read of Stan's sobering post to give me added willpower. Highlighting the health issues of smoking usually puts me right off.

Last edited by roly; 21/06/2012 18:11.
Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1353840
21/06/2012 18:34
21/06/2012 18:34
Aldershot
PeteP Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
PeteP  Offline
Forum Fossil

Aldershot
Don't forget, it is not just lungs that get buggered by smoking, it can screw up just about everything.

How many people are aware of the links between smoking and bladder cancer for example? Think Fred Dibnah for an example of that link.

I had stopped smoking back in 1982, it still was a factor in my developing a very rare form of cancer 25 years later.

Stick with it Matty, it has to be worth the effort.

16VT and X1/9 1500

We must all do our part for the planet.
I unplugged a row of electric cars that nobody was using.
Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: PeteP] #1363790
30/07/2012 02:16
30/07/2012 02:16
North Wales
Theresa Offline
Theresa  Offline
Forum Fossil

North Wales
Just to say that's it's now been 7 months since I gave up shocked cool

Never thought I'd reach this stage.

I have the biggest and fattest e cig you'll have ever seen laugh and I still have a nicotine intake, but I have none of the harmful effects of smoking and my lungs are thanking me smile

I still enjoy the smell of a proper ciggie and still hang around with smokers, but I don't think I'll ever go back to smoking again

To all you that are still trying - keep going and get as much as you can to help you, you'll get there eventually smile

I'll continue with my e cig for the forseeable future, but for now, I'm happy that I'm not taking in all the harmful chemicals that was causing me to wheeze like an 80 year old.

From a 60+ a day ex smoker - keep trying smile

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: Theresa] #1364279
31/07/2012 19:53
31/07/2012 19:53

R
roly
Unregistered
roly
Unregistered
R

Great stuff Theresa thumb

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1364305
31/07/2012 21:58
31/07/2012 21:58

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

Stan. Truely sorry to read what you been going through.
T. You know you can't start again. Well done sincerely for keeping it up.
To everyone else it's good to stop or even cut down. Just a pity it's so enjoyable, well at times.
My father in law died in his late 50's due to not following advice on smoking as well as diet. It's was very spiteful, I'll end it there!
I loved smoking but you just got to admit, it kills you or could take away quality of life which is in some ways worse?
I know I mostly post rubbish, but quitting smoking there's no definitive answer, you just have to find what works for you!

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: ] #1364360
01/08/2012 01:40
01/08/2012 01:40
North Wales
Theresa Offline
Theresa  Offline
Forum Fossil

North Wales
Assuming your an ex smoker Darren?

If so, how long have you given up for?

Might be worth letting other people know how you managed to give up.

I know people who have gone back to smoking after 1, 3, 10 years, etc and I don't want to be one of those people, as I know if I did go back to it, I'd never try to give up again.

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1364361
01/08/2012 02:45
01/08/2012 02:45

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D

I am an ex smoker and have not smoked for nearly three years.
I am someone who has smoked and quit three times in my adult life.
Hence you just got to find what works for you.

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1364374
01/08/2012 08:35
01/08/2012 08:35
Bucks
jame5 Offline
I need some sleep
jame5  Offline
I need some sleep

Bucks
I gave up nearly three years ago, I'd given up before but never really felt like non smoker, probably because I was not doing it for the right reasons (usually hassle from girlfriends or family). I now feel like I have made a really positive change in my life that was my decision. It wasn't giving up so much, more just wanting to be a non smoker.
I chose the cold turkey route as that had worked before. One thing that also really helped was extra strong mints! Every time I really wanted a fag I'd have one and really inhale the minty vapours. I got a surprisingly similar satisfaction from that and fresh breath too!
I also carried my backy tin with me for quite a while which helped, without it sometimes knowing I didn't have the option made me want one more and I got a bit of a kick out of resisting the permanent temptation in my pocket.
Good luck and stick with it.

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1364378
01/08/2012 08:41
01/08/2012 08:41
Watford
MarioCirillo Offline
Ex El Presidente
MarioCirillo  Offline
Ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Watford
I REALLY REALLY want to quit.
Its a wierd one with me. I can go days, sometimes weeks without a ciggy. I think yeah i fancy one, but if i dont have a pack i dont bother. Its when im around other smokers. Or i see someone smoke in teh street, the smell just makes me want one. I then go and buy a pack and im back to square 1.

I used the ecigs before but they made me still crave the nicotine.

Cold turkey doesnt work for me as so many of my mates smoke and when your down at the pub... or the ace... its just really hard to say no. frown

Going to give it another shot though
Any advice would be great

Proud Owner of Rosso Speed LE041
Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1364380
01/08/2012 08:45
01/08/2012 08:45

E
Enforcer
Unregistered
Enforcer
Unregistered
E

I would say just get the eCigs and stick with them. Crave them as much as you like. Follow Theresa's example.

cool

Re: Quitting smoking... [Re: MattyB] #1364385
01/08/2012 09:06
01/08/2012 09:06
Aldershot
PeteP Offline
PeteP  Offline
Forum Fossil

Aldershot
E cigs don't really address the root cause, addiction to nicotine. You are still getting it albeit in a less harmful way.

Ultimately it comes down to will power and simply deciding that you are a non-smoker.

I went the cold turkey route.

One morning at work I decided I did not smoke any more and instead of opening a new pack of cigarettes gave it to a work collegue saying that I had stopped smoking.

That was in 1982.

16VT and X1/9 1500

We must all do our part for the planet.
I unplugged a row of electric cars that nobody was using.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4