» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (386ka, Mags), 347 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,442
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,522
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,296
PeteP 21,482
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,662
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mission 'Nana 360!!! #1352541
17/06/2012 22:14
17/06/2012 22:14
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
jon13 Offline OP
Enjoying the ride
jon13  Offline OP
Enjoying the ride

Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Well here we go...

click to enlarge
click to enlarge

A little bit of history first...

I've had my coupe since Dec '08 and she came with a chip,K and N filter and s/s longlife system and never really had any quibbles with her other than a new clutch at 64k in Nov '09,track rod ends/arms and tracking a couple of months after that.Then a strange almost misfire/'limp mode' symptom,remedied with new plugs.Complete update of discs/pads,HEL braided s/s hoses,5.1 fluid and rear driver's wheel bearing in Oct '10 and various other expected service items,oil changes etc etc.So pretty happy cooping cool ...until Christmas day evening '10 driving to nightshift... I had a bit of a slide on black ice and met with the kerb driver's side front lip first cry not too fast but fast enough to push the oil cooler pipes onto the aux belts...
Cue a trip to Joe at FCSS to remedy the situation.
Full belt change,new oil cooler and pipes,new rocker cover and gasket,welded fifth branch on exhaust manifold and various other little bits and pieces..So other than needing new lips she was happy days again...It was at this point,I started to think about where I wanted to go with her evil and I became hooked with the 'Modding Bug' and plans of hitting the track.I then started to create a plan!! laugh

Initially everything would have to wait as both work and cash were both hard to come by last year,except for tax rebate time tongue.

So a few calls to a couple of 'guys in the know' about several things and a few posts on here I decided to go down the route of the above mentioned 360 BHP as I would be on the limits of going forged...
So the plan/parts:

Engine first:
-Garrett GT2860RS Bought from Scal_LE33 click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge
-Straight induction pipe and ITG air filter Bought from Scal_LE33 click to enlarge click to enlarge
-Evo FMIC
-Uprated fuel pump and wiring mod
-3" s/s custom downpipe and full exhaust setup with 5 stud flange
-Electronic boost controller
-Flea map

Soon to be followed by suspension and brake overhaul then bodywork.

Aug/Oct '11:
Few calls to Barbz about having the engine work done and we agreed I'd get the exhaust done first then go down to see him..So cue a trip to Longlife/Topgear racing in Amesbury just outside Salisbury on the A303 and leave with a fully fitted GT2860 and full exhaust made up and plenty of smiles all around...at this point something came up as it always does, so mission 360 was put on hold... grr

click to enlarge

A couple of vids..
http://s461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332/jon13_bucket/Exhaust/?action=view&current=Walkunder.mp4
http://s461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332...Warmstartup.mp4
http://s461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332/jon13_bucket/Exhaust/?action=view&current=Driving.mp4

After several lows and many highs since the new year,mission 360 is back on!! yipee

Took the coop for a spin to keep her ticking only to hear the tell tale whine of rear bearing on it's way out.A quick call to the AA and she was off to Joe again with intructions to have a good old inspection for any rust issues,full brake line replacement and sort any other niggling issues he came across as she had started to feel loose at the back and the suspension didn't feel too great..

The mission brief just changed.....
A week later I got a lovely list through from Joe which was discussed to great length to include extra work I wanted to do later,but as he had it he may as well do now as he'd have certain bits off the car etc etc..again engine work delayed tongue Not that I mind as I want a solid car that has been looked after.

One of the points Joe indicated was that having been a cat D front end write off before my purchase,the front needed straightening as the job was not done very well the first time round.

Basically Joe's new little project needs:
-N/s rear wheel bearing
-Full copper nickel brake lines and Millers brake fluid.
-New radiator needed.
-Straighten front cross member drop legs and lower rad bar.
-Intercooler duct missing.
-Final drive seals leaking.
-Both front ARB bushes cracked.
-Wishbones bushes moving/aged.
-Drop links aged and cracked.
-Front suspension top mounts and bearings worn.
-O/S track rod gaitor aged and cracked.
-O/S track rod inner ball joint worn.
-Rear gearbox mount worn.
-O/S engine mount worn.
-Top stabiliser mount worn.
-All road springs corroded front and rear.
-Turbo oil return pipe leaking.
-Rear subframe mounts dry/cracked and worn.
-Light signs of corrosion in boot area.
-Inlet dougnuts cracked and leaking on boost.
-Both edges of the front tyres worn.
-N/S rear wheel bearing worn.
-Rear brake compensator seized.

Long list hey hehe All being sorted currently!!!As well as that little list i've decided on getting the following done either at Joe's or at a later date:

-Paddle clutch
-HID's with a potential washer/sprayer sytem fabricated thumb
-Seam weld the front subframe....Joe
-Vibratechnics fast road engine mounts....with Joe
-Full powerflex bush set....with Joe
-Full JBT group buy blue hose set....with Joe
-Proalloy header tank....with Joe
-Currently looking at getting the BC coilover kit that Begbie is road testing....awaiting full report
-3G discs and Carbotech pads
-Powerflex exhaust mounts/hangers
-Some tasteful interior mods.

Before the car went to Joe I had started purchasing many many little bits and pieces that are all being cleaned up and powder coated or made all shiney/refurbed.A couple of which went to Steve(Fullpint on here) at TPCS. Quality job and very happy with the outcome.....

Sparco strut braceclick to enlarge click to enlarge
Rad support barclick to enlarge

So there we have it,the mission is well and truly underway.Once Joe has finished with her,she'll finally have the engine work/brakes/suspension done and then a lovely remap with Flea hopefully. cool

Then when she's mechanically sound the front bumper/lips will be replaced along with vented wings.Paintwork looked at as the bonnet is slowly getting worse and several areas of 'crazing' coming through.. frown

I think it's fair to say once she's finished she'll have every major job done,all the rust resolved/prevented and will be a very tidy little Broomie!Can't wait!!! laugh

Last edited by jon13; 17/06/2012 22:49. Reason: Spelling
Re: Mission 'Nana 360!!! [Re: jon13] #1357536
06/07/2012 08:24
06/07/2012 08:24
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
jon13 Offline OP
Enjoying the ride
jon13  Offline OP
Enjoying the ride

Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Today I shall mostly be travelling to Hereford to pick up the old girl! laugh

Re: Mission 'Nana 360!!! [Re: jon13] #1358597
09/07/2012 16:32
09/07/2012 16:32
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
jon13 Offline OP
Enjoying the ride
jon13  Offline OP
Enjoying the ride

Trowbridge,Wiltshire
We can always rely on mother nature to spoil a good drive home!! crazy

Anyway,on friday I was up nice and early to go and catch a train off to Hereford..As mentioned the weather wasn't great when leaving the house early doors,but playing the optimist I was hoping it would improve.....However...the closer to Hereford I got,the worse the rain became..Bad enough in fact it held Joe up in coming to collect me from Great Malvern station in the form of floods and mud all over the roads.I began to worry about leaving Bromyard when on the way to FCSS I saw how deep some of the new road rivers had become crazy

Upon arrival there was a swift switch on of the kettle and brews made up with biscuits on offer!We then sat down and discussed all works carried out.

The main issue being rust,which as it turned out was pretty much a 'non issue' with regards to comparison to other cars that we are seeing on here at the minute.There was some light surface rust underneath and in the rear wheel arches and a hole coming through from one of the arches into the boot area.All treated accordingly.
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

As well as sorting the rust.The guys also stripped and rebuilt the front end straightening out the drop leg from where it had previously been a front ender.Whilst they had it apart they also fitted the powder coated radiator support bar pictured above in the thread,new Valeo radiator as the other was well and truly shot!To compliment the new radiator there was also the JBT group buy blue hose set and Proalloy header tank with level indicator to go on to finish the cooling system...The engine bay is now starting to come together laugh
click to enlarge

Before the front end work had been carried out Joe and Dan had replaced the nearside wheel bearing,replaced all brake lines with new coppernickel ones,replaced the rear subframe mounts with new ones.

Also fitted my Vibratechnics fast road engine mounts,full Powerflex polybush kit,seam welded the front subframe whilst off and fitted my newly powder coated Sparco strut brace.Straightened up the position of the exhaust sitting in the bumper as the old rubbers had perished terribly and they replaced these rubbers too.2 new drop links,2 new track rods and gaitors and 2 new wishbones.Fixed the bonnet so that it dropped and shut properly,as it hasn't been right since coming back from Top gear/longlife.

Needless to say the car now drives fantastic!It feels so smoother and tighter to drive and even though it doesn't have coilovers or uprated brakes yet,it just eats the corners up like it's 'on rails' with no issues!Truly point and squirt laugh I can hardly wait to see how much better with coilovers it's going to get.

I'm still waiting on some more pics from Joe,so when I have these I shall post some more up...

Currently in talks with some knowledgable folk about the engine now wink laugh

There are several little bits still awaiting the powder coating treatment and shall be sorted fairly soon...

Last edited by jon13; 09/07/2012 16:35. Reason: Added text
Re: Mission 'Nana 360!!! [Re: jon13] #1369441
20/08/2012 10:37
20/08/2012 10:37
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
jon13 Offline OP
Enjoying the ride
jon13  Offline OP
Enjoying the ride

Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Not much been goIng on but Im In the process of gettIng 2 new tyres this morning.What a run around! Place I booked in with last week ordered the wrong sizeS I've had to ring around the whole of Wiltshire to try and find somewhere with them in stock.All because I need to get them sorted ready for this afternoon when I send the car off to Leighton today to have fun with.
I'm hoping he has no issues while he's got her as my first track session is going to be at the Forge motorsport action day at Castle Combe on the 8th Sept.Closely followed by Curborough on the 14th!! laugh driving