Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,089 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What am I making? [Re: Begbie] #1354218
22/06/2012 18:15
22/06/2012 18:15

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P



Originally Posted by Begbie
Well, it didn't come out that well frown Didn't use enough of the epoxy gel and the putty was too thin in places and resulted in below. Oh well, you learn from your mistakes
click to enlarge


Indeed, that looks like a small crack in that laugh

Re: What am I making? [Re: Begbie] #1354272
22/06/2012 21:35
22/06/2012 21:35

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D



I made a mould awhile back from what looks like the same system as I wanted to try out the putty backing product. I have used a similar system with a cloth, similar to fIbre glass.
I thought this putty system was easy to use but it is brittle so you do need to build it up in areas where needed. Although it has fibres to give strength it could still maybe benefit from a final layer of cloth to hold it together better.
Good luck with the next one!
click to enlarge

Re: What am I making? [Re: Begbie] #1354381
23/06/2012 15:52
23/06/2012 15:52
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline OP
ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline OP
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Darren

Looks exactly to be the same system as making the mould. Looks like you had better luck than I did with the release. I'm going to order some more putty up, but am going to spend this weekend making up a cover for my engine with what I have left.

Practise makes perfect smile


Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: What am I making? [Re: Begbie] #1355473
27/06/2012 14:56
27/06/2012 14:56

R
R00
Unregistered
R00
Unregistered
R



I'd go with the Paint option. good heat resistant paint - proffessionally airbrushed on.

no wrap to peel off and no expensive mouldings to make.

with enough clear over the top should last a fair old while.

more possible carbon work for me to think about. (in the process of searching for a new air compressor for my airbrushes.

then need time to practice (alot more time).

"BUTT" all in all I like the Idea looks crisp !!

R00

Last edited by R00; 27/06/2012 14:57.
Re: What am I making? [Re: Begbie] #1359195
11/07/2012 11:18
11/07/2012 11:18

N
Nobby
Unregistered
Nobby
Unregistered
N



I might be inclined to have another go at mine.

I polished a rocker cover so my mould came out really well. I did cut the left and right edges straight off though as otherwise you wouldn't be able to get it out. You can re-use the gel coat to cover over any blotches.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.015s Queries: 15 (0.011s) Memory: 0.6137 MB (Peak: 0.6842 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 21:57:51 UTC