Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (TwelveTeaVan), 1,148 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,143
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! #1358591
09/07/2012 17:15
09/07/2012 17:15

K
karl_20VT
Unregistered
karl_20VT
Unregistered
K



I'm at a sad crossroads in my life when I finally have the coupe I always wanted, in the colour I always wanted and to the spec I always wanted but now unfortuneatly i'm also trying to buy our first house, and as i'm sure so many of you are aware, its ALL ABOUT DEPOSIT

At the moment I have an 18% cash deposit towards what I want to spend on a house but the banks will give me a much better interest rate if I can hit the 20% mark meaning that in the long run I will be much better off.

So do I sell up, gain the extra couple of % or pay for it in the long run?

One thing is for sure, I do not want to sell it and if the worse happens, i'm sure at first oppertunity I'll be hunting down the new owner in an attempt to buy it back.

frown sad times

Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1358593
09/07/2012 17:19
09/07/2012 17:19

T
Trix138
Unregistered
Trix138
Unregistered
T



Can you not borrow the remaining two % from family?

Just an idea

Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1358602
09/07/2012 17:49
09/07/2012 17:49

D
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
D



I understand how you feel.

When I needed my first deposit 6.5 years ago, I had to sell my motorbike and Plus to put towards a deposit.

I bought another Coupe a few years later though smile

Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1358611
09/07/2012 18:18
09/07/2012 18:18

D
duncan78
Unregistered
duncan78
Unregistered
D



The same reason why I had to sell mine unfortunately and also buying a house in the city meant i'd want to get a separate garage for it, I wouldn't want to keep it on the road for fear of it being keyed/vandalised etc

5 grand did help the house deposit but was sad times indeed frown

Now I'm looking at german Q cars (e.g VW Golf V6 4Motion) which are reasonably powerful but discrete and once de-badged just look like a bog standard 1.8

Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1358634
09/07/2012 20:04
09/07/2012 20:04

A
ally_f
Unregistered
ally_f
Unregistered
A



Or just wait a few months until you can save up the cash. By the time you've advertised it, found a buyer, found a replacement, swapped insurance, fixed the niggles on the new car etc. you're likely to only be a couple of grand better off. Or why not go for a new-build scheme where you don't need as much (or any) deposit - that's the option I went for and haven't looked back.

Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1358867
10/07/2012 12:01
10/07/2012 12:01

K
karl_20VT
Unregistered
karl_20VT
Unregistered
K



Originally Posted by Trix138
Can you not borrow the remaining two % from family?

Just an idea


Already borrowing 10K from my parents, and they aren't willing to give me any more and they are also giving my brother the same. So any extra they give me they will also have to give to my brother. Which is pretty fair to be honest and I can't complain at 10K cash.

Originally Posted by DanielTheManual
I understand how you feel.

When I needed my first deposit 6.5 years ago, I had to sell my motorbike and Plus to put towards a deposit.

I bought another Coupe a few years later though smile


I think thats where I will end up frown

Originally Posted by ally_f
Or just wait a few months until you can save up the cash. By the time you've advertised it, found a buyer, found a replacement, swapped insurance, fixed the niggles on the new car etc. you're likely to only be a couple of grand better off. Or why not go for a new-build scheme where you don't need as much (or any) deposit - that's the option I went for and haven't looked back.

A few months... lol. times are tough.
a couple of grand pays the stamp duty and is a good chunk to wards the fees.
The house price is one thing but fees etc are another.
I'm not keen on a self build, basically just because of size and the fact that where I live houses are dirt cheap for a hell of a lot.

i.e. what i've found is a house which was previous 3 cottages, knocked into 1 big house with a double garage for £160K laugh

But I'm very wary about the future and we don't want to get a mortgage on both incomes, we will be sensible and buy a house on my income alone, so that 1. we can live a confatable lifestyle 2. if the misses ever lost her job we wouldn't be screwed and have to sell our house or worse off have a repo and 3. within the next 25 years who knows where interest rates will hit within that time.

Sensible is key to our choice and we're trying not to get carried away with over spending now, paying the ultimate price in the long run.


Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1358888
10/07/2012 13:35
10/07/2012 13:35
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,206
england
came2dance Offline
I AM a Coop
came2dance  Offline
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,206
england
If you can get t he loan with what you've got now just go for it. What you get for selling the coop will make little difference to the overall costs over 25 years, plus you'll have the hassle of sellign and then having to find another car anyway. I can understand it would be a nice lump sum to pay immediate fees but I can't see it making much difference overall.


[Linked Image]www.chrisdoyle-photography.co.uk

Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1358890
10/07/2012 13:47
10/07/2012 13:47
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,127
South Cambs
B
Barmybob Offline
Hon Club Member: 003
Barmybob  Offline
Hon Club Member: 003
Je suis un Coupé
B

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,127
South Cambs
Houses.... don't buy more than you need. People often get hooked into buying houses that are bigger and more expensive than they really need or can afford. It is not just about the buying price today. hikes in interest rates, Maintenance on bigger places and fuel bills can bite hard if you don't properly plan for them.

In saying all that a place to live is more important than a car. So if by selling the car you can get to where you need to be then it has to go frown





Gone Audi mad!
Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1358908
10/07/2012 15:10
10/07/2012 15:10
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,572
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Forum is my life
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Forum is my life

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,572
Northampton England
I agree with Bob on the point about people buying larger and larger houses etc. Fuel and maintenance will really hurt on larger houses.

However I don't agree with getting rid of the car.

You are about to buy a house, hold on to the car you will only be very marginally better off. Keep something you love while you get the house.


Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole 2.0 16v ABS
Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: Sedicivalvole] #1358920
10/07/2012 16:08
10/07/2012 16:08

T
tim42
Unregistered
tim42
Unregistered
T



Karl,
where you seem to be in your life I would have to agree that the house is more important than the car frown .

A real shame if you have to sell her though. She looked lovely when I picked up the bumper and skirts (by the way, they will finally be fitted to my Scottie this week; can't wait!).

Good luck,
Tim

Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1358926
10/07/2012 16:22
10/07/2012 16:22

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P



Whilst i am naturally drawn towards suggesting finding a way to keep the coupe, i have to reluctantly agree selling would probably be best.

If you kept it and started struggling financially you'd find;

1/ you can't afford to run/maintain/insure it
2/ you resent the car
3/ you have to sell it cheaper due to circumstances

Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1358938
10/07/2012 16:53
10/07/2012 16:53

H
h2ypr
Unregistered
h2ypr
Unregistered
H



Have you worked out the difference per month of not getting the lower ltv rate? Might only be talking £20/£30 a month and if you do get another coupe in 12 months, what's to say you won't spend more than £350-£400 a year getting it back into the condition yours is in now.

Ross

Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1358956
10/07/2012 17:34
10/07/2012 17:34

T
tim42
Unregistered
tim42
Unregistered
T



A nice idea, but the way Coupe prices are going at the moment the next owner of Karl's machine will be paying him to take it away crazy

Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1359304
11/07/2012 17:06
11/07/2012 17:06

K
karl_20VT
Unregistered
karl_20VT
Unregistered
K



Originally Posted by Barmybob
Houses.... don't buy more than you need. People often get hooked into buying houses that are bigger and more expensive than they really need or can afford. It is not just about the buying price today. hikes in interest rates, Maintenance on bigger places and fuel bills can bite hard if you don't properly plan for them.
...


Thats excatly what we are avoiding, I know that if we work on both our incomes then we could afford it but thats not a boat we want to be in, we want to stay sensible knowing that fuel costs, interest rates are only going to go in 1 direction from now on so keeping the second wage as the bunce instead of strecthing now seems like the sensible solution.

Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole
...
You are about to buy a house, hold on to the car you will only be very marginally better off. Keep something you love while you get the house.


Obviously the car isn't the only thing on the hit list at the moment, but if it pays the fees and gets me a lower interest rate then its short term loss for long term gain.
..I can always get another coupe, although it might not tick all the boxes like my one currently does frown

Originally Posted by tim42
Karl,
where you seem to be in your life I would have to agree that the house is more important than the car frown .

A real shame if you have to sell her though. She looked lovely when I picked up the bumper and skirts (by the way, they will finally be fitted to my Scottie this week; can't wait!).

Good luck,
Tim


Good luck with the fitting mate, i'll keep my eye on the syling threads to see the results.

Originally Posted by proccy
Whilst i am naturally drawn towards suggesting finding a way to keep the coupe, i have to reluctantly agree selling would probably be best.

If you kept it and started struggling financially you'd find;

1/ you can't afford to run/maintain/insure it
2/ you resent the car
3/ you have to sell it cheaper due to circumstances


I completely agree

Originally Posted by h2ypr
Have you worked out the difference per month of not getting the lower ltv rate? Might only be talking £20/£30 a month and if you do get another coupe in 12 months, what's to say you won't spend more than £350-£400 a year getting it back into the condition yours is in now.

Ross


around 5-5.5% vs 3.8% which is a £150-£200 a month on the mortgage i'm looking at.


**** BIG SIGH ****

obviously I don't want to sell it and at the moment trying to do all I can not to sell it... after all whats the point in have a garage if there's nothing decent to put into it lol




Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1359319
11/07/2012 17:43
11/07/2012 17:43

K
karl_20VT
Unregistered
karl_20VT
Unregistered
K



one thing is for certain .... I won't be leaving the forum smile

Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1359336
11/07/2012 18:40
11/07/2012 18:40
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
Originally Posted by karl_20VT
one thing is for certain .... I won't be leaving the forum smile



Oh, I think I'll be the judge of that.... wink

rofl

Good luck with whatever you decide smile


[Linked Image]
Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1359399
11/07/2012 22:06
11/07/2012 22:06

K
karl_20VT
Unregistered
karl_20VT
Unregistered
K



thanks stan rolleyes

you'll be the last one here, thats for sure

Last edited by karl_20VT; 11/07/2012 22:07.
Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1359404
11/07/2012 22:35
11/07/2012 22:35
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
At the heat death of the universe, when the last star gutters out and all that is left are a few cockroaches, a faint smell of cat pee, and perhaps Keith Richards... there will still be Stan.

"Hey, who turned out the lights?"


[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1360657
16/07/2012 16:53
16/07/2012 16:53
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,572
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Forum is my life
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Forum is my life

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,572
Northampton England
Fantastic rofl


Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole 2.0 16v ABS
Re: might have to sell the coupe :-( Blooming Banks! [Re: ] #1360669
16/07/2012 17:33
16/07/2012 17:33
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 566
Guildford, Surrey, UK
Punto16VT Offline
Enjoying the ride
Punto16VT  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 566
Guildford, Surrey, UK
thumb "... And here ended today's lesson." wink


Sprinty Coupe 20VT6
1949 White Abarth Punto Grande SS
Stromboli Grey Alfa 159 Ti
Abarth 695 Rivale

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.017s Queries: 14 (0.011s) Memory: 0.6773 MB (Peak: 0.8286 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 20:20:36 UTC