» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 106 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,600
Posts1,341,117
Members1,802
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,556
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,300
PeteP 21,512
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,788
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377191
13/09/2012 10:18
13/09/2012 10:18
Chertsey in the Thames
bockers Offline
Hon Club Member 007
bockers  Offline
Hon Club Member 007
Forum Fossil

Chertsey in the Thames
Love the price of the port adapters, a mere snip at £25 shocked

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377194
13/09/2012 10:24
13/09/2012 10:24
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
This thread got me thinking about what actually would be a game-changing step forward. Battery life is obviously one thing, but I can't see that getting anyone too excited.
The problem seems to be reconciling screen size with pocket size. Everyone wants big, bright, clear touchscreens, but the point at which you can't get the thing in your pocket or worry you're going to snap it is where you move into the realm of tablets.

I've droned on often enough about wanting a small, basic phone to complement an ipad, so maybe this wristwatch idea might work, which - as I understand it - gives you a bluetooth-connected satellite to your main phone. That would be quite a good one.
Also, is there any mileage in some sort of projector technology (a bit energy hungry, I suppose) enabling the device to use any flat surface as a screen, freeing it from the restrictions of its own dimensions.

Being honest, is anyone actually excited about this new iphone? It really doesn't take things much further, does it?

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1377196
13/09/2012 10:32
13/09/2012 10:32
Chertsey in the Thames
bockers Offline
Hon Club Member 007
bockers  Offline
Hon Club Member 007
Forum Fossil

Chertsey in the Thames
Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
Being honest, is anyone actually excited about this new iphone? It really doesn't take things much further, does it?

I think Sedicivalvole has had to take a long nap after the presentation wink

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1377197
13/09/2012 10:33
13/09/2012 10:33

T
Truffle
Unregistered
Truffle
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Also, is there any mileage in some sort of projector technology (a bit energy hungry, I suppose) enabling the device to use any flat surface as a screen, freeing it from the restrictions of its own dimensions.

Apple wouldn't be interested in that as they wouldn't be able to patent it, too much 'Prior art' laugh

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: Theresa] #1377202
13/09/2012 10:56
13/09/2012 10:56
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England
Originally Posted By: Theresa
Nick, bring me an iPhone 5 to keep or someone to change my 3GS battery over, to the AGM and I'll believe everything you say, forever laugh

You didn't give me enough time to for latter laugh

All devices are still restricted from being used in public until Friday in the UK.

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole 2.0 16v ABS
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: barnacle] #1377213
13/09/2012 11:25
13/09/2012 11:25
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England
Originally Posted By: barnacle

Can you point me at a reference, Nick? As I understand the GSM phone system they'd have to maintain compatibility with the rest of the world and use the low-bitrate CELP coding; could it be that they're negotiating a different standard for apple-apple calls? (To be honest, the speech audio is probably the easiest bit of a phone these days... the coders are well defined and standardised and it's down to the mic and speaker on the phone itself; the physical acoustics of it all.)

The combination of GSM, CDMA and LTE into one chip is a nice touch rather than the multiple touches.

They haven't as far as I know released a white paper on it yet, though I may be wrong. The gist of it was given the 3 microphones on the new device they are able to pick up a wider frequency and want to exploit this given that nearly all data is in the mid tones.

It was EE they were working with, I have not seen a public release of this information confused It was in the brief notes and was announced but nothing else seems to be around. Its likely lost in the other information as nobody except us is really interested in this info at the moment.

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377223
13/09/2012 11:46
13/09/2012 11:46
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England
Originally Posted By: Truffle

Finally a sensible technology piece.

Originally Posted By: Article

at tech pundits to judge products not on some misplaced urge for "wow factor", but on how they feel to use.

I for one am not even close to being sold on NFC so am very glad they haven't gone with it.

I think wireless charging is a bit of a fad at the moment, it will come good but its not a mainstream product yet in my opinion. The need for a dedicated surface etc. People would of been screaming if the device had that included, while I would wager only a point of a percentage would ever of used it.

Not enough public info on the new connector has been made available yet. This will follow though.

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377227
13/09/2012 11:56
13/09/2012 11:56
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England
Pardon the pun. I think you are comparing Apple's to Oranges here Mike. The Prada is a cheaper phone made for price considerations over everything else.

I really want the new Nokia's to work. I hope they do, for the market places sake.

I think your perception of over priced is the problem Mike, these devices are priced based on the R&D, technology, software and expertise that go into them. Devices like this cost a lot of money. Be it the iPhone, Lumia etc. Otherwise you are looking more towards the price based devices such as LG etc where specs are flashed but components are cheap and budget is primary.

The BOM for a device is far more than most people think.

Originally Posted By: Big_Mike

and as for their charging connector........ The fact that they refuse to use micro usb like every other smart phone just sums them up imo. Because I am stuck on iphone at the moment (not my choice at the time) every where i go with the wife i have to take 2 lots of chargers with me. PITA

It does for me as well. But in a different manor. Why settle for something so so so inferior such as Micro USB because 'everyone else has standardised on the cheap port' might as well of stuck with a 30 pin connector or FireWire (thats not a good example as that port rocks) Micro USB doesn't offer any of the features Apple want.

Its fine if you plan to hardly utilise the port and only use it for charging and some rudimentary other features, so if you are Mr X like HTC/LG/etc etc making a phone then great. Cheap and easy.

However it is not up to what Apple want to use it for and it is not capable of supporting what has already been delivered through the 30 pin connector so it is really pretty much impossible unless you want to remove pre existing features and cripple the device.

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377230
13/09/2012 12:02
13/09/2012 12:02
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Of *course* micro USB doesn't offer anything Apple wants - it looks like a standard connector and people would expect standard connectivity and then they'd want to climb out of the walled garden and *then* where would they be?

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377233
13/09/2012 12:06
13/09/2012 12:06
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England
Yes John very funny smile

Its a good point Jim, battery life and technology is key for me. Which is something that is being strived for again and again. Either with modernisation's to the internal hardware, such as the A6 using less power to achieve the same results as well as the update in battery technology.

I don't think it is as easy to get excited by new phones as it once was Jim. Apple pushed things forward with the iPhone jolting the industry. Part of the reason it was such a large jolt was that all companies were complacent happily taking your money for little innovation. The iPhone would of been a step above the rest regardless, but it was such a step because of how complacent everybody was.

Its not so easy to be complacent now, all manufacturers have to follow suit. Even if they don't actually innovate and just copy what Apple and Nokia are doing (Nokia being pretty much the only other company to actually be innovating and thinking for themselves) It means the curve off innovation slows down while the next big advances are worked on. Its pretty predictable what will be the next big things to come, its if they can be made into a reality.

Meanwhile along with pushing the technology further, lightening it. Reducing energy consumption and improving it. Apple are focussing on quality of the product. Going further than they need to in making a device which is more akin to a fine watch than a phone.

The link earlier for the video is worth a watch to understand their aim. Some useful bits of insight in it.

I'm interested in the new camera, someone said it was a spec disappointment? The new lens coating is interesting, waiting for some third party distraction tests.

As a persons phone is now in most cases the most used item they have, I know what I want to be using. A well built, precision device constructed out of glass and aluminium rather than a standard plastic phone. Each to their own though.

Nobody has even mentioned the software yet!

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: barnacle] #1377235
13/09/2012 12:10
13/09/2012 12:10
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England
Of *course* micro USB doesn't offer anything Apple wants - it looks like a standard connector and people would expect standard connectivity and then they'd want to climb out of the walled garden and *then* where would they be?

Very tongue in cheek. But you know the limit of Micro USB.

Can it deliver 1080P video and sound, while also delivering the multitude of other signalling protocols.From the technical spec it seems impossible to me. I don't want my devices crippled by the lowest common denominator I can't imagine you do either?

Its a proprietary connector as was the 30 pin before it. As nobody made anything good enough a decade ago Apple had to invent something, they are there again. If someone made something good enough I am sure they would use it rather than have to build their own one.

The cost of an adapter is not impressive. It doesn't bother me as I don't have to buy them. But it would bother me if I did.

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: Sedicivalvole] #1377236
13/09/2012 12:19
13/09/2012 12:19
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Originally Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Originally Posted By: Article

at tech pundits to judge products not on some misplaced urge for "wow factor", but on how they feel to use.

It read to me like an article that somehow managed to combine smugness with defensiveness; patting Apple on the back for being so great (again), yet trying to justify why there was no "wow" factor (how childish, why on earth would a company as great as Apple want anything as tacky as "wow factor"?).

Now that's innovation...

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: Sedicivalvole] #1377237
13/09/2012 12:24
13/09/2012 12:24

T
Truffle
Unregistered
Truffle
Unregistered
T

The cost of an adapter is not impressive. It doesn't bother me as I don't have to buy them. But it would bother me if I did.

Imagine being the owner of a hotel and having to buy 400 adaptors, one of each of the iphone enabled, clock radios you have in your rooms. shocked

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: Sedicivalvole] #1377238
13/09/2012 12:29
13/09/2012 12:29
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin

Can it deliver 1080P video and sound, while also delivering the multitude of other signalling protocols.From the technical spec it seems impossible to me. I don't want my devices crippled by the lowest common denominator I can't imagine you do either?

Why would I want it to? It's supposed to be a phone! I want it to make phone calls. That's it.

The argument against a common power supply connector doesn't suggest that one should shove video through it, surely? Though it's perhaps worth pointing out that the entire UK broadcast spectrum delivers only about a hundred megabits a second, including HD which is broadcast at under 8Mb/s - this is not a problem for a 480Mb/s serial channel. If you're speaking of delivering full bandwidth - 3Gb/s or so - then that's a different kettle of fish. That's what HDMI and its friends are for.

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377240
13/09/2012 12:32
13/09/2012 12:32
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Southsea
I will need 3 adaptors, one for each car, and one for my ipod dock. I will wait for the 3rd parties to release them as I don't fancy parting with £75 to be able to use a new iphone where the old one just plugged in. I'd potentially need a 4th for my PC, so I don't have to shuffle the one supplied from the charger in the wall to my PC each time I wanted to update it.

In my Coupe I will have to have this set up:

iphone cable from head unit -> adaptor to charge iphone -> 30 pin adaptor.

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: Sedicivalvole] #1377241
13/09/2012 12:34
13/09/2012 12:34
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland

No, just the opposite side of the scales from the previous article. Add them together and divide by 2 and we might have a neutral article.

I have an iPhone 4 and I can honestly say that I've never, ever found the performance of it to be an issue. Where was the pressure coming from to make the chip faster for the 4S and the 5? Why was increased performance put ahead of sorting out the woeful battery life?

Likewise the need for higher and higher screen resolutions - who is seriously getting upset about the definition of screen the size of a bloody Swan Vesta box?

To me this smacks of technology for the sake of technology, not being innovative or even listening to the user community.

Dear monos, a secret truth.
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377249
13/09/2012 12:49
13/09/2012 12:49
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
The adaptor thing is a bit of an old story: cassettes to CDs, video cassettes to DVD, analogue tv/radio to digital, light bulbs, unleaded fuel etc etc. at some point there needs to be a change. I have to say that Apple should generally be applauded for remaining broadly constant for so long. Compare simple charging devices for other mobile manufacturers - they have been through 3 or 4 iterations in the same period of time. If you're stuck just buy one adaptor for each phone. I can't imagine hotels worrying about it until the 5 is the dominant product and then they'll have upgraded their equipment anyway. Price of progress.

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: barnacle] #1377252
13/09/2012 13:05
13/09/2012 13:05
Ipswich 06/08/2002
Ed Offline
My job on the forum
Ed  Offline
My job on the forum

Ipswich 06/08/2002

Why would I want it to? It's supposed to be a phone! I want it to make phone calls. That's it.

The argument against a common power supply connector doesn't suggest that one should shove video through it, surely? Though it's perhaps worth pointing out that the entire UK broadcast spectrum delivers only about a hundred megabits a second, including HD which is broadcast at under 8Mb/s - this is not a problem for a 480Mb/s serial channel. If you're speaking of delivering full bandwidth - 3Gb/s or so - then that's a different kettle of fish. That's what HDMI and its friends are for.

It seems that an MHL port has passed everyone by then. (Probably because it looks the same as a micro usb, is fully backwards compatible for charging and standard data transfer and no-one made a swanky video presentation about it when it was introduced!)

You do have to buy a MHL compatible cable (about £10) but when you do, it becomes a sort of HDMI port on steroids, that can handle 1080p at 60 fps with 192 mhz 7.1 surround sound, provides upto 5v 500mA to any connected device if necessary, or simultaneous charging from a powered host device.

When can I get a phone with one of these magic ports on I hear you cry (well ok maybe not), chances are you may already have one, as high end Samsung's since the Galaxy SII and high end HTC's since the Evo 3D have got one.

Which just goes to show, it's not always about what you do, it's how you tell people about it...

[Linked Image]
Join the club @ www.fccuk.org
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: Ed] #1377255
13/09/2012 13:07
13/09/2012 13:07
Ipswich 06/08/2002
Ed Offline
My job on the forum
Ed  Offline
My job on the forum

Ipswich 06/08/2002
And why have they put the headphone port on the bottom, you have to put the phone upside-down in your pocket and can't plug headphones in if your dock doesn't have a headphone adaptor???

[Linked Image]
Join the club @ www.fccuk.org
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377270
13/09/2012 13:39
13/09/2012 13:39

T
Truffle
Unregistered
Truffle
Unregistered
T

I found a video of Sedi :

Apple Fanatic

laugh

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377287
13/09/2012 14:09
13/09/2012 14:09
North Wales
Theresa Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Theresa  Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Forum Fossil

North Wales
laugh

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: Theresa] #1377289
13/09/2012 14:19
13/09/2012 14:19

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P

Is there any spell-check or grammar check software on I-Phonies? Sedici could use some help there laugh

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377292
13/09/2012 14:24
13/09/2012 14:24

T
Truffle
Unregistered
Truffle
Unregistered
T

Part 2 here:

Apple video

0:13 i'm sure is a direct sedi quote tongue

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377356
13/09/2012 18:43
13/09/2012 18:43

D
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
D

Judging by the amount it's being discussed here and no doubt over vast portions of the internet, Apple have already succeeded.

Their product placement annoys me, their logo popping up in any Hollywood film with a computer in the scene.

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377365
13/09/2012 19:25
13/09/2012 19:25
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England

Then a classic Nokia 8210 is for you. No need for a smartphone of any type. By that logic one port for everything or just things you want?

I agree MRS nearly a decade of a constant port. However they could of eased the transition through the price a little more...

Originally Posted By: AndrewR

No, just the opposite side of the scales from the previous article. Add them together and divide by 2 and we might have a neutral article.

I have an iPhone 4 and I can honestly say that I've never, ever found the performance of it to be an issue. Where was the pressure coming from to make the chip faster for the 4S and the 5? Why was increased performance put ahead of sorting out the woeful battery life?

Likewise the need for higher and higher screen resolutions - who is seriously getting upset about the definition of screen the size of a bloody Swan Vesta box?

To me this smacks of technology for the sake of technology, not being innovative or even listening to the user community.

My comment was meant with sarcasm. Neither are neutral but the later is a lot closer to the centre and puts a few things into perspective.

The update on chips can present power savings in themselves over the older generation Andrew. As for the advance, primarily in this case for Applications and game uses. Not for me personally mind but the device is now more than capable to play console quality games on.

Ed I prefer it at the bottom and have been hoping for this, that seems to be the general public preference and feedback. I didn't really consider the possibility of needing to dock it, detach the dock and connect the cable? Do you use it in a dock?

As opposed to someone else's logo? Dan? If other people made good looking machines you may see more of them I suppose.

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377370
13/09/2012 19:33
13/09/2012 19:33
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England
Originally Posted By: proccy
Is there any spell-check or grammar check software on I-Phonies? Sedici could use some help there laugh

?

Part 2 here:

Apple video

0:13 i'm sure is a direct sedi quote tongue

Seen, read an listened to them all.

Closed vs Open doesn't equate to a simple sandbox of Open Source vs Proprietary nor Fragmentation vs Integration.

Older than the Fiat Acronym.

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: Ed] #1377412
13/09/2012 22:44
13/09/2012 22:44
South Cambs
B
Barmybob Offline
Hon Club Member: 003
Barmybob  Offline
Hon Club Member: 003
Je suis un Coupé
B

South Cambs
Originally Posted By: Ed
It seems that an MHL port has passed everyone by then.......

You do have to buy a MHL compatible cable (about £10)

When can I get a phone with one of these magic ports on I hear you cry

Not everyone...

I have that port on the N8 and it came with a free HDMI adaptor too. It is a fantastic port allowing you to play full HD content, either made on the internal HD camera, or downloaded, to any HDMI equiped display screen.

A colleague has a media player hard drive that he often uses to bring films to work, he was blown away when I plugged in my phone and played HD movies from it.

Gone Audi mad!
Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377531
14/09/2012 12:27
14/09/2012 12:27

B
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
B

As I sat down in the pub with my pint, I put my Nokia 3310 on the table in front of me. My mate immediately burst out laughing and put his iPhone next to mine. I gave it a disdainful look.

"Why don't you get a better phone, mate?" he asked.

"I don't need one." I replied. "My phone does everything that I need and it's better than yours."

He burst out laughing again. "Better than mine?" he roared. "Mine has 3G, Wi-Fi, the iMessage service, a best-in-class browser, five megapixel camera, access to the App Store for virtually unlimited customisation plus a built-in iPod for all my music. If yours is better than mine, I'll give you my phone."

"I don't want your phone." I said, "Mine's the best, why would I want a second-best, second-hand phone? I tell you what, though, if I can prove that mine is better than yours, how about you give me the cash equivalent of your phone?"

"You're on!" he crowed. "Show me something with your phone and I'll show you how mine is better."

Casually, I knocked my phone off the table.

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377532
14/09/2012 12:44
14/09/2012 12:44

D
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
D

Aren't most of the benefits in IOS6, which will run on the iPhone 4 anyway? I have one which work supplied me with, so I'll upgrade my IOS. All the benefits for zero cost smile

My mate is after an iPhone at some point to replace his old Blackberry. I told him to wait until the 5 is out, and buy a 4 off ebay from the sheep that MUST HAVE THE NEWEST IPHONE AT ALL COSTS!!

Re: "New iPhone" launch [Re: ] #1377537
14/09/2012 13:10
14/09/2012 13:10
Surrey
E
Emjay Offline
Forum is my life
Emjay  Offline
Forum is my life
E

Surrey
Big_Muzzie - I'd have then challenged him to try and smuggle the respective phone into a prison.

Does our law condemn a man without first hearing him to find out what he has been doing? (John 7:51)
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7