» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 111 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,596
Posts1,341,060
Members1,801
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,553
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,300
PeteP 21,510
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,783
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project #1414787
07/03/2013 13:14
07/03/2013 13:14

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

Hey chaps,

First off, Discussion thread:

Wills Discussion Thread

Ill make the first post brief. I picked up a P reg rust free 20VT a couple weeks ago, ive had numerous big power cars and always wanted a coupe.

OK She's Red (im too new to know the correct code) LE kit. Aurelia italia 17s, a full turbo back exhaust and filter.

Its got stacks of history and fiat service to about 90k (its been looked after John at MCS since then according to previous owner.

This is she:
click to enlarge

First things first lets give her a clean up n see what were dealing with, the car has had a coupe of other people work on it in its history and i could tell walking up to it itd had a respray.(Albeit quite a good one) So after a tidy and wash:

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Last edited by MarioCirillo; 31/10/2013 12:50. Reason: fixed link
Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1414791
07/03/2013 13:39
07/03/2013 13:39

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

Ok so what were the problems. Well, where do we startitd clearly had some either tight fisted or tight skilled owners (previous owner excluded!) and it had sat for a long time.

I made a list but lost it, so ill try and remember. On the journey home it started bunny hopping and the boost began fluctuating all over the shop.
Max boost would be a 0.8bar spike.
Next day, came the smoke which i was told about but it seemed heavier than i wouldve thought. Tried a second hand decent as suggested but made no change.
Compression 160 all 4 though.
Having a look around , few worrying signs:

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1414793
07/03/2013 13:47
07/03/2013 13:47

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

Then it started running even rougher, and sometimes on 4 cylinders. I swapped the , plugs, afm and checked all thge pipes:

FOund some mayo in plugwell 1 , i m not worried, just a mixture of moisture and oil thats spilled over from the oil cap.
click to enlarge

click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Fitted some new Hankook ventus V12s as the old ones were cracked or slashed on both sides:

click to enlarge

Had some really good discs but due to them being sat for a long while i had an oncar skim and shiny:

click to enlarge

Inner N?S wheel guard lining was obliterated:

click to enlarge

Watch this space, something specials coming.

Last edited by Bluey; 07/03/2013 13:48.
Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1414857
07/03/2013 20:04
07/03/2013 20:04

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

Hi fellas, did a crinkle finish cam cover in red. Might try purple next time. Or Black. Ive also done one in pale blue crinkle for a guy i know with a pale pastil blue coupe.

Voila:

click to enlarge

Next, Battery to boot . Length Mod 1

So, why do it? Well i know alot of racers and modifiers who do the mod, ive done it half a dozen times now to great effect. But ill answer below.

• Evens out the weight distribution.
  • Gives more space in the bay to work on and inspect.
  • A bye product to the above, but it for those who like a nice looking bay, the extra space creates a platform for showing bits off!
  • On some cars it gives space for an induction kit set up with feeds and dams etc, or perhaps a nice MOTEC hehe.

Brief tips
Plan twice, do once.

• Use proper cable. For example, 2 or 0 AWG is what BMW use and they have batterys in the boot. So use that.
  • Use a grommet where you go through any metal walls (like the bulkhead for example) There is one as standard. In the location i used which you can see in the pictures.
  • Use a fuse if you want to, but tbh ive known alot of people who have done it, and never heard of a melted wire or anything bad.
  • Always use the same sized battery to body earth as your power cable.
  • Remember to add a 4 or 6 awg cable(they sell them in halfords down by the batterys, around starter cable size) to link the engine to body (earthing reasons).
  • Do things properly, we're fiat owners , this isnt a Corsa forum.
  • Use the correct terminals.
  • Finally, if you can, buy a battery that spits out good cold amps. Im anal and will be running a small amped system,so purchased the better of the two Optima Red Tops, plus having worked for Lucas i know the value of having a really good electronic power source. Halfrauds do a good 550CCA battery thats £55 on trade. If your near me give us a shout and ill help you out wink

Any questions PM me, it really is worthwhile and its also fairly straightforward it just take a good 2hrs. Will's difficulty rating - 6/10

Oh PS - Dont take the bloody airbag out, i thought id need to till i found part of an aftermarket loom just poking its little wires out from the bulkhead behind the carpet.

Old bay first.

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Thanks guys, pretty stoked, all ready for my PRO ALLOY full set to fit. bit of tidying up to do then some mega cleaning. Having my alarm fitted tomorrow.

Will

Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1415074
08/03/2013 19:21
08/03/2013 19:21

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

OK Battery to boot completed with Optima Red.

Car turns over like a good un and everything (that workerd before) works lovely and powerful now.

Noticed the boot switch had been bent at some point , so we bent that back and its all working nicely now.
Nice good earths made for the earth and yet more chavtastic cabling removed that wasnt oe.

Last edited by Bluey; 08/03/2013 19:24.
Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1415076
08/03/2013 19:25
08/03/2013 19:25

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

Security fitted today by Gap security.

38% tints fitted all round by Knightly Tints.

Pictures to follow.

Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1415266
09/03/2013 19:37
09/03/2013 19:37

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

Pictures to follow of course but i had an issue with being able to lock the car. Evenn with the key. Thanks to the genii on this forum its now cured and my new security is working wonderfully. So thats all good.

Bad points are id saved some money for a GRP (possibly maranello0 bonnet to help even out the weight dissy, and also some money to get a new turbo and de-MAF to MAP set up. Unfportunately due to doing my usual overexcited jumping in head first,, ive had to pay for a few peoples kits on the group buy, and also it was pointed out to me while the car was at Midlands Car Services that bar the calipers, discs and mastercylinder the engtire breaking system needed redoing, also need to sort out oil coolersandwich seal, and visco drive seals which is going eat £800ish but i personally wouldnt go elsewhere. But summed up im about 3k worse off. so there might not be much to upload on here ofr a bit.

Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1415551
11/03/2013 19:52
11/03/2013 19:52

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

OK , today, ICE.

Im not a boom boom numberplate rattling lover. But i must admit, listening to pink floyd with perfect SQdoes give me a smile. Im a big fan of Focal, Alpine, JL, Rocky and Pioneer. With a few others on the not bad list.

This time, i decdied o what i wanted exactly and bought it all from Car Audio Direct. If you want any battery to boot or ICE stuff, speak to Colin and he'll sort you out a discount if you tell him Mark the Battery to boot guy sent you.

OK so running the show, a multi media centre , i very nearly went Alpine but thought after 3 of them a Pioneer would be worth a go. Colin agreed this year was Pioneer's year. AVH-6300BT fold out unit.
For the front set up, attached to some sound deadening and MDF we have some Focal 30th Anniversary 6.5" components. For the rear again sound deadened and MDFd we have some Focal 690 CVX.
Amping all this is my trusty amp who's name escapes me but kicks out up to 100w RMS constant x 4. Using a variety of Phonocar Power cabling Focal RCAs and terminals and Twisted Tech reference earth blocks and speaker cabling.

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

So rather than the 6'5s itll be the focal coaxials in the rear quarters:

click to enlarge

Its half in at the moment.

BAd news - Not only does the car need a list of stupid miggly things doing, it may also need a new clutch. With the help of you and John im sure we'll have a nice all round car for the summer.
Oh and major fuel leak coming from the circled pipes bu johns educated me with what to do.

click to enlarge

And the cam cover i did :

click to enlarge

Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1415696
12/03/2013 19:05
12/03/2013 19:05

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

Got the front passenger side done. Tweeter, woofer, crossovers, Some more dynamat, All proper phonocar terminals and ground zero 15awg copper speaker cable.

More pics soon:

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1417932
25/03/2013 15:48
25/03/2013 15:48

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

Dont want to chav the interior up too bad, so im just fitting momo parts. Everything driver physical contact parts in the car are tired exccept the seats. So its just momo gaitors with red stitching , Mats with you guessed it ... Foot slipped off clutch in traffic the other day so ive also got some gunmetal Momo R3000 pedals with metal and rubber dot grip.
Started collecting some interior parts and also bought a donor car. 66k miles cambelt slipped. Im being selfish because its not a plus or an LE. So no ' just fix it and put itback on the road. As everyone knows, the P regs rust way les than the V reg that this is.But the interior and anciliaries are mint, and i want alot of em. The rest ill sell.

Some pics

Focal 30th Anny tweeters fixed:

click to enlarge

And the 17cm single axial part way through dynamatting. Note the new matts with ' Fiat Coupe 20VT stitched into them in gunmetal:

click to enlarge

Momo Gearknob Test Fit, all seems well. Relief!!

click to enlarge

Gear and handbrake gaitors:

click to enlarge

Momo R3000 Pedals ,Desperately need the grip after my foot slipped off the clutch pedal in traffic ooo

click to enlarge

Better picture of the tints.

click to enlarge

My makeshift workshop:

click to enlarge

And storage, havent opened half the stuff:

click to enlarge

My new donor car, 66kmiles, cost 5500 from Solo italia 18months ago, the cambelt jumped a tooth or 2 and has obviously bent valves as comp test showed around 15 on 1 and 2. The other headlight is a tester to see if i can recondition them. The maf i needed as mine was faulty. The Dumpvalve hardpipe boost pipe that attaches to the head is being replicated for me by Pro Alloy. Other than that ts complete. Most of the car is in really good nick, ill take several bits that either are missing on mine, or are just in much better condition. May use the engine as a stand engine and slowly build up to a monster. Other bits i guess ill sell. Very tempted to put these rims on mine and sell my wheels...

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Many thanks for your interest,
Mark

Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1455999
30/10/2013 10:00
30/10/2013 10:00

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

Mmmookay, so its been a while, been involved in a bike accident , ended up on statutory sick pay and very little money. But now, with a new rebuilt turbo , and some Pro Alloy parts she's back on the road, looking great and much more aggressive with the PA front mount intercooler. Pictures to follow.

Oh and the following is the correct link to my discussion page:

Marks Project Discussion / Info page

Last edited by Bluey; 30/10/2013 18:30.
Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1456064
30/10/2013 18:19
30/10/2013 18:19

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

OK few pictures. She runs now, and the Intercooler and new turbo are all in. Some pictures to help people who want a Pro Alloy IC. Just to add, all new gaskets were used, even if Fiat didnt originally fit one, like turbo to manifold.

Fully rebuilt T28turbo

click to enlarge

Silverstorm ally DV pipe

click to enlarge

Pro Alloy Intercooler top mounting, just drill 2 holes under the bonnet catch.
click to enlarge

Pro Alloy fully fitted, you will need to remove the duct that fed the oem intercooler for your pipe runs.

click to enlarge

Underneath there is a metal connecting strip that connects to the longest pipe you get in the kit, the bottom of the IC, and a rusty supporting mount you can see in the pic.

click to enlarge

I am just happy to have her performing well and healthy for the first time in a long time. My spring plan is for a large ball bearing turbo, bigger injectors, possibly water injection and possibly a head rebuild but we'll see. Until then, i hope to fit all the genuine fiat spares ive bene collecting, brake and suspension parts and such. And a set of coilovers.

Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1456066
30/10/2013 18:33
30/10/2013 18:33

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1456370
01/11/2013 20:54
01/11/2013 20:54

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

Niggles fixed.

Just need to fit the bumper and tidy some stuff up.

click to enlarge

Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1457410
08/11/2013 19:55
08/11/2013 19:55

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

Hi all,
Well MOT day today ......failed. Grrr. Emissions and Airbag light doesnt go out.

On the upside, im going to invest in some diagnostics. Ive also got some Powerflex bushes from work (discounts rock). Got a set of standard wheels, not sure what wheels ill put on yet. Ive also got my hands on a couple of brand new oem expansion tanks, new badges, new induction system and a Hayward & Scott 3" system, oh and a GTEC2 along with lots of very kind advice from Graham.

Mark

Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1457487
09/11/2013 16:18
09/11/2013 16:18

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

COuple of pictures, grille needs fitting and bumper trimmming a little.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Re: Silverstorm (Will/Mark) Coupe Turbo 20V project [Re: ] #1485970
30/04/2014 15:48
30/04/2014 15:48

B
Bluey
Unregistered
Bluey
Unregistered
B

Hey guys, not very interesting but after a year in storage im going to finish sorting my coupe out. Ive got 1000 put aside already. The only thing it needs off the bat are 2 rear tyres. Discs and pads all round, an induction set up, and to work out why it has intermittant power loss and is running very rich.