» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 209 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,625
Posts1,341,363
Members1,807
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,303
PeteP 21,521
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,834
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Home Brew #1423024
19/04/2013 17:34
19/04/2013 17:34
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
Anyone here tried their hand at home brewing?

Fancy giving it a crack at some point soon

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423032
19/04/2013 18:19
19/04/2013 18:19
Chertsey in the Thames
bockers Offline
Hon Club Member 007
bockers  Offline
Hon Club Member 007
Forum Fossil

Chertsey in the Thames
Matt Gullam does this big style. Can't remember his FCCUK name though frown

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423034
19/04/2013 18:41
19/04/2013 18:41
burning oil in the alfa
whatmoretyres Offline
Forum is my job
whatmoretyres  Offline
Forum is my job

burning oil in the alfa
As in beer, or computing?

Smart Fitness and GPS seller tongue
Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423042
19/04/2013 19:44
19/04/2013 19:44
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
Beer.

Re: Home Brew [Re: bockers] #1423045
19/04/2013 20:26
19/04/2013 20:26
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline
Forum veteran

North wales
Originally Posted By: bockers
Matt Gullam does this big style. Can't remember his FCCUK name though frown

Aah4fuxake

I'll see if he can comment. Some of his beer sounds love

Coopless!
Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423049
19/04/2013 20:45
19/04/2013 20:45

A
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
A

You rang?

Will comment later. Beer... Lovely beer.

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423051
19/04/2013 20:48
19/04/2013 20:48
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
laugh

Cool mate, any advice welcome. Looking get 2 brews going in the next couple of weeks. Not got any kit yet - payday next week wink

Re: Home Brew [Re: ] #1423109
20/04/2013 01:59
20/04/2013 01:59
North Wales
Theresa Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Theresa  Offline
Forum Fossil

North Wales
Originally Posted By: Aah4Fuxake
You rang?

Will comment later. Beer... Lovely beer.

Well, over 5 hours later and you still haven't commented laugh

Are you too drunk? laugh

A thread worth watching I reckon laugh

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423112
20/04/2013 02:35
20/04/2013 02:35

A
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
A

Sorry guys I was at work until very late, and now I am shattered and headed to bed. Tomorrow I promise.

Not like I am going to pass up an opportunity to talk about my favourite subject to is it?

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423113
20/04/2013 02:38
20/04/2013 02:38

A
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
A

Hyperlink, hang on with the kit.... If you take my advice, what you think you need might not be enough, or completely off. Unless of course 2 cheap kettles, a cool box and a length of copper pipe are on your list already.

More tomorrow.

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423114
20/04/2013 02:41
20/04/2013 02:41

A
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
A

My current cost (not including kit depreciation) is about 22p per 500ml bottle.

Re: Home Brew [Re: ] #1423116
20/04/2013 03:23
20/04/2013 03:23
North Wales
Theresa Offline
Theresa  Offline
Forum Fossil

North Wales
Originally Posted By: Aah4Fuxake
My current cost (not including kit depreciation) is about 22p per 500ml bottle.

cool love laugh

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423141
20/04/2013 10:52
20/04/2013 10:52
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
Interesting. Not buying anything till next week so no problems.

22p sound like a bargin!

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423150
20/04/2013 12:39
20/04/2013 12:39

A
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
A

Okay... home brewing. There are a number of routes you can take....depending on what you want to do for initial outlay, and then ongoing cost.

The cheapest initial outlay will undoubtedly have the highest ongoing costs, and vice versa.

Only you can decide what is right for you.

So here are the basic options....

1. Brew from kits using basic home brewing equipment.

It will probably cost about £40 for enough kit to get you going. But kits range between £10 and £20 for a 40 pint kit.

Back in the dark ages, these kits were generally tasteless yellow junk that made a slightly beery yeasty flat liquid. Things have moved on and there are some very good kits available from the likes of Wilkinson, EDME, Coopers, BrewFerm etc.

2. Brew from extract on slightly better and more complicated gear, using real hops.

Not a route I've gone down. The malt comes as extract, the hops are real. It's a half and half measure.

3. (The way I, and real breweries do it). All grain.

This is the pinnacle of home brewing, often avoided by many because it is "too difficult". Nothing could be further from the truth.

The set up is basically a micro version of a normal brewery, with home made versions of the Hot Liquor tank, Mash Tun and Copper.

Lets go through those...

HLT.

This is where you will boil your water. You will need to be boiling over 5 gallons at a time, so kettles and saucepans aren't really practicable.

I use a plastic 30 litre fermenting bucket with 3 holes cut into the bottom. One hole houses a tap (with a simple hop filter). the other 2 house 2 2KW Electric kettle elements from a Sainsburys/Argos/Tesco value kettle. Just demolish the kettle. Remove the element and seal. Disable auto-shut off and away to go. I'll try and post some links to a youtube video later.

Mash Tun.

This is where we mash our malted barley. Where the sugars and flavours are extracted from the barley into the "wort".

For 5 gallon batches up to about 6.5% ABV a 21 litre cheap cool-box is perfect. I bought mine from Wilkinsons. You'll need a ball valve tap and some sort of plumbing fitting which can act as a flange/seal for the hole you will be cutting in the botton. (again, youtube videos abound).

Inside the cool box, you'll need a manifold. Mine is a square affair made of copper pipe pieced together loosely wityh 90 degree bends and T pieces. You can just use a straight pipe...or even the outside of a braided hose. Youtube is your friend.

The Copper is also your HLT. So no need to build another one.

So what about the process?

Here's what I do to make a 5 gallon batch of batch of bitter at about 4%ABV.

First of all, the No.1 rule of home brewing is sanitation. Everything MUST be spotlessly clean and sanitised. I use a food safe "instant kill" sanitiser like Star San or Diversey Lever D10. You can use Milton or similar, or even bleach, but you'll need a lot of rinsing after bleach lest it taints.

Put about 4 gallons of water in the HLT boiler and switch on both elements.

Put 3 kg of Maris Otter Malt (about £25 for 25KG) in the Mash Tun.
Add 500g of medium Crystal Malt (about a quid)to the M<aris Otter. You may wish to add other adjuct malts at this point depending on the style of the beer...but lets keep it simple.
Add 100g of Torrified Wheat to the grains. (not necessary, but helps with head retention in the finished pint.

When the temperature of the water in the HLT is 75 degrees C switch off the elements and using a sanitised 1 litre jug, start putting water into the mash tun (ensuring the tap is closed). Stir with a large brewers spoon (£1.50 Wilkies)until you have a porridge like consistency. Ensure all the grain is wet.

Put the lid on the cool box and leave for 10 mins.

Bring your water in the HLT back up to temp (75) and fill the mash tun up (if it is a 21 litre) or add a further 15 litres or so. Give this a real good stir. Replace lid. Leave for 50 minutes.

Re-fill HLT and place back on boil. Again, up to 75c.

After your 50 mins, you'll be ready for the first runnings of "sweet wort". When you open the tap, collect the first litre or so in a jug and return it to the mash tun. This is known as the "vorlauf" and it removes any grains which have fallen into the manifold. Drain the rest of the liquid into a 5 gallon fermenter bucket. You should end up with about 2.5 gallons.

Repeat the process, but with only about 3 gallons. This ensures all the sugars are washed out of your grain.

Your second runnings should fill your fermenter bucket up.

Transfer this sweet wort back into your (now empty) HLT (which you can now call the "Copper" if you like)

Bring it to the boil. when it reaches the violent boiling stage, turn off 1 of the elements and allow it to get a "rolling boil". Switch on a fan and open a window...trust me.

Add 40g of (let's say) East Kent Goldings hops (About a quid's worth)These are your "bittering hops".

Leave boiling for 40 minutes.

Add your "aroma hops". In this case, let's say 25g First Gold Hops.

At this point, you can add a "whirlfloc" or "Protafloc" tablet. It isn't necessary, but it helps with clarity issues later. They are totally natural products (no chemicals) though I cannot guarantee they are strictly vegetarian. They cost about 20p each.

After 20 minutes switch off your element and start draining the liquid into your final fermentation vessel. Do not attempt to ferment in a bucket with lid. They are just rubbish. Spend an extra £4 on one with a screw cap and O-ring. Use the tap to do this if your filter isn't bunged up with hops. I invariably use a funnel, a flour sifter and a jug because I have no patience. Ensure all this equipment is thoroughly sanitised.

You should now have about 5 gallons of wort which will become beer after we add yeast and let it ferment. But we cannot "pitch" the yeast until it has cooled down, or the heat will kill the yeast. At this point, I have a modified barrel that I place the fermenter in immersed in constantly running cold water. Takes about an hour and a half to get down to about 20 C.

When your wort is cooled give it a good shake and take a sample in a sample jar, remembering at this stage that sanitation is even more important than before. Place your clean hydrometer in the sample jar. You should get a reading of about 1040 on this amount of grain.

Chuck in some yeast. For this, I'm going to use a fresh pack of Gervin English ale yeast (£1.75). Sprinke it in dry.

Put a bit of petroleum jelly around the screw and O ring of your fermenter, place a bung and U-Bend fermentation lock with a little water in it and stick it in a room where the temperature doesn't exceed 18 C or fall below 15 C. Some variance is permissible, but these temps are ideal.

Your beer should start to ferment by the following morning, and it may look like it has finished about 3 days later. Don't be tempted. Leave it for 3 weeks at least. This allows the yeast plenty of time to clean up any fusel alcohols produced by the first rapid fermentation, and will save you hangovers when drinking it.

After 3 weeks you are ready to bottle. Test first with a hydrometer (ensuring sanitation standards) It should be down to about 1010, which from 1040 gives us about 4%ABV

Clean and thoroughly sanitise 40 500ml bottles.

Using a bottling wand and tube (£1.50 Wilkies)carefully rack off the (now crystal clear) beer from the lumpy cake of yeast at the bottom of the fermenter. Rack off into another bucket...preferably one with a tap.

In a small saucepan, bring a mug of water to the boil. Add 100g of Brewing sugar (dextrose or corn sugar) (£2 for 1kg - Wilkies), let it dissolve and bring back to a simmering boil.

Add this to your beer and stir with a sanitised spoon.
This ensures that each bottle is primed equally and will save messing about with individual amounts of sugar in each bottle. Plus you should NEVER use table sugar in brewing. It will give your beer a horrible taste.

Pour it into your 40 bottles and cap with a crown capper or screw tops, depending on what you have.

Leave for at least a week before drinking. What we have set up is a secondary fermentation in the bottle using the dissolved yeast in the beer and additional sugar. With the CO2 produced being unable to go anywhere, it is absorbed into the beer to give you bubbles and condition in your ale. It will however leave a small sediment in the bottom of each bottle so it is vitally important to not pour that into your glass, and to store your bottles upright.

And that is it.

Happy drinking.

I buy a lot of my gear from here, including most of my malt and hops....

www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk
www.worcesterhopshop.co.uk www.worcesterhopshop.co.uk

www.barleybottom.com

All of these are excellent suppliers and all do mail order.

And if you are interested in my home brewing exploits, just ask me a question....here or on the facebook page of The Little Brewery on London Road

drink

Last edited by Aah4Fuxake; 20/04/2013 12:47.
Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423152
20/04/2013 12:44
20/04/2013 12:44

A
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
A

And how much has it cost me?

When I started out, I probably did it on an initial investment of about £80. Now I've spend hundreds, but I've saved so much more. I can honestly say, and have had people give testament to it, that my beer is as good as, if not better than most real ales or bottled beers you can buy in pubs or shops. It has also made me extremely critical of cheap mass produced beers, and also very aware when certain real ale / craft ale brewers are using certain hops, or when they are cutting corners.:) frown

The only question is why I didn't start doing it earlier.

Last edited by Aah4Fuxake; 20/04/2013 12:53.
Re: Home Brew [Re: ] #1423165
20/04/2013 14:56
20/04/2013 14:56

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P

Brilliant posts, i feel pissed just reading it laugh

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423202
20/04/2013 21:19
20/04/2013 21:19
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
Cool thanks Matt.

Can you give me an idea of space requirements and if there is any issues with smell. My plan was to use our spare bedroom which is also an office to brew. Its normally one of the warmest/steady temp rooms mostly due to the computers etc iIhave in the room.

I think i may go the brew kit route for a couple of batchs to see how i get on and ween wifey on to the idea wink

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423206
20/04/2013 21:42
20/04/2013 21:42
Brisbane, Australia
Boosted7 Offline
My life on the forum
Boosted7  Offline
My life on the forum

Brisbane, Australia
I've been making my own home brew for the last few months. I got one of these starter kits which has everything you need to get going for not much coin: http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/beginners-kits/beer/complete-woodfordes-starter-equipment-set.html

I accidentally added too much water the first time, so my Wherry ended up being a bit weak (3.8% ABV) but still tasted very nice indeed. I've since done a couple of Cooper's pale ale and a Cooper's lager which were also very nice.

You don't need much space, although I took over the living room when I was bottling my last brew which got the missus slightly annoyed. But I just reminded her that I'm saving us money by brewing my own beer and she soon calmed down.

Just take your time and make sure everything is sterilised properly and you'll be fine smile

Last edited by Boosted7; 20/04/2013 22:29.

1998 Steel Grey 20V Turbo
Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423220
20/04/2013 23:37
20/04/2013 23:37

A
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Hyperlink
Cool thanks Matt.

Can you give me an idea of space requirements and if there is any issues with smell. My plan was to use our spare bedroom which is also an office to brew. Its normally one of the warmest/steady temp rooms mostly due to the computers etc iIhave in the room.

I think i may go the brew kit route for a couple of batchs to see how i get on and ween wifey on to the idea wink

If you are going to be using kits, there will be no smell issues. All grain does have the issue of boiling the wort and steeping the grains, but nothing a fan and an open window can't sort.

Space won't be a problem if using kits. 5 gallon fermenters are fairly small. If you have a cupboard or garage to keep the stuff you aren't using, then all the better.

Be wary of "warm" rooms. Years ago people used to ferment in warm rooms by radiators etc. This is a bad idea as it can strain the yeast into reproducing too fast, and cause off flavours and base alcohols in your beer. Best way is slow and cool...about 15-18 C

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423235
21/04/2013 01:14
21/04/2013 01:14
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
Yeah when I say warm I mean relative to the rest of the house. I like it cooler than most.

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423292
21/04/2013 15:54
21/04/2013 15:54

P
Pinnin
Unregistered
Pinnin
Unregistered
P

Great explanation mate and something I will be trying in the future.

As for something even easier you could try a cider, perry or fruit alcohol.

Basically anything with sugar in it you can ferment into an alcoholic brew. I got into this when I was out in Afghanistan with the Polish military. They were using all sorts to make booze on the fly as it was officially banned on our base.

Since then I have made my own cider from fruit juice and my own perry from scratch including picking the fruit and building my own fruit press and scratter.

All you need is a sugary liquid pitch in some yeast and wait.....job done, really it is that simple. Have a look on YouTube, there is a guy called Craig who posts some good videos.

It may seem a bit 'pikey' at first but when you think you can use pure fruit juice with no other chemicals added then what you end up with is a tasty brew and no preservatives.

As has been stated above - sanitation is the key!

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1423330
21/04/2013 19:44
21/04/2013 19:44
S. Wales. Way beyond my means
Gripped Offline
Club member 1924
Gripped  Offline
Club member 1924
Forum is my job

Funnily enough, I'm ready to bottle my first attempt at beer. I used a Youngs Harvest Bitter kit from Tesco. I was advised to use "beer enhancer" instead of the sugar. Had a taste yesterday, and it is not half bad. Borrowed a hydrometer and it is about 1.004 which seems to be bang on. So I need to bottle it ASAP !!!

Kit only cost £8, then a bit more for the enhancer. I already had the "bucket" and other stuff from my wine making effort a few years ago.

Go for it ! Cheap beer. What's not to like?

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1424061
25/04/2013 14:31
25/04/2013 14:31
Harpenden
S
sugerbear Offline
Je suis un Coupé
sugerbear  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
S

Harpenden
Great guide Aah4fuxake, I was going to go down option 2 route but your guide seems pretty simple so I think I will have a go at that first.

Any particular youtube video's that you recommend or used ? and do you have any pics of your HLT/Mash Tun.

My worries are leaks on the HLT so do you have the elements on the bottom or the side ?

And a couple of questions on the first boil, do you boil the water then let it cool to 75 degrees (I was thinking to be absolutely sure that boiling had killed everything that might be in the water) and do you use ordinary tap water and do you leave it to stand for a few days to make sure all of the chlorine has gone?

How to make a startrek widget cable >> http://tinyurl.com/dyje6fy
Re: Home Brew [Re: sugerbear] #1424082
25/04/2013 17:56
25/04/2013 17:56
Gripped Offline
Club member 1924
Gripped  Offline
Club member 1924
Forum is my job

Originally Posted By: sugerbear
and do you use ordinary tap water and do you leave it to stand for a few days to make sure all of the chlorine has gone?

I think boiling would remove any chlorine. But I was told to use a 1/4 campden tablet per 20 litres to remove chlorine.

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1424086
25/04/2013 18:15
25/04/2013 18:15
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
Yes, boiling will remove any residual chlorine in your tap water.

Campden tablets will also remove chlorine derivatives as they are basically the same as industial de-chlorination agents.

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1424283
26/04/2013 15:52
26/04/2013 15:52
Harpenden
S
sugerbear Offline
Je suis un Coupé
sugerbear  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
S

Harpenden
Got a couple of cheapo kettles (£5 each) and a fermenting bucket for £6 (missing lid) from Wilkinsons. Tesco seem to have the cheapest coolbox at £12 for a 24 litre jobby. B&Q is my next destination.

How to make a startrek widget cable >> http://tinyurl.com/dyje6fy
Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1426442
09/05/2013 16:26
09/05/2013 16:26

A
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
A

Sounds like you are on the right track Sugarbear.

Sorry to have missed feeding back on this thread, but I've been over in France for a couple of weeks.

The kettle elements come with their own seal, just make sure the hole is the right size.

I use regular tap water (our S Wales water is fairly soft, and could possibly do with hardening up for brewing, but I have had no problems)

Please post your progress, I'd be delighted to see how you are getting on, and I'd love to be able to help out / give advice.

Last edited by Aah4Fuxake; 09/05/2013 16:31.
Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1426450
09/05/2013 17:03
09/05/2013 17:03
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
Well I have bought a kit to get started with and learn the basics. I will probably get a second set brew going in a couple of weeks so I can start to build up a bit of a stock of beer.

All going well I plan to go all grain later in the summer buying bits as when I can get a deal. Hopefully be able to sort out some space in my shed (power/water/drainage readily available) to build a some storage for fermenting, conditioning and possible a few other things.

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1426474
09/05/2013 19:18
09/05/2013 19:18
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
If i lived closer would have been ideal maybe of interest to someone else?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-Brew-Setu...=item232ad4e488

Re: Home Brew [Re: Hyperlink] #1426478
09/05/2013 19:40
09/05/2013 19:40

A
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
Aah4Fuxake
Unregistered
A

Looks like some tidy kit Hyperlink. I don't use a wort chiller. I just float my fermenter in a (clean) water butt with flowing cold water for about an hour and a half.

Good luck with the kits, you'll enjoy. But your first All Grain will be like going from normal TV to HD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2